Texas Fishing Forum

Scorpions

Posted By: Mark Perry

Scorpions - 11/08/20 02:30 AM

Not the musical variety from Germany either but the little spawns of Satan that crawl about. Our home in Roanoke backed up to a greenbelt and we would get a one every now and again in the house but they were rare. When we bought the new place here at the lake we are surrounded by woods and have probably found 10-12 in the house since July. Always in same general area and all but one was super small. Cannot recall seeing so many as I have this year.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 02:32 AM

Oh lord
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 02:32 AM

I hate those things
Posted By: Gourdbuster

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 02:34 AM

Have em at my place at Fork, gotta check your boots and don't leave your pants on the floor.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 02:35 AM

I swear I’ve never seen one, don’t want to either
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Gourdbuster
Have em at my place at Fork, gotta check your boots and don't leave your pants on the floor.

Ouch that would suk to have them in your pants

They are hateful little beasts.
Posted By: grout-scout

We have them pretty bad down here, every house I’ve built, I’ve tried my best to seal it up to keep them out. I have yet to succeed in that, it’s amazing at what they can squeeze through.

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
We have them pretty bad down here, every house I’ve built, I’ve tried my best to seal it up to keep them out. I have yet to succeed in that, it’s amazing at what they can squeeze through.

Yep...we even spray for them here....no luck.
Posted By: kennerdude

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 02:44 AM

Tempo or suspend. I don’t put any article of clothing on or shoes on until I shake them out first.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 02:50 AM

Glue boards will help a lot.
Posted By: Flyfisherman

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 02:57 AM

The only good scorpion
[Linked Image]

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by kennerdude
Tempo or suspend. I don’t put any article of clothing on or shoes on until I shake them out first.

Same here....our 1yr old grandson is here a lot and I worry he will step on one or try to pick one up if he see its. Usually he is in bed when we see them as its usually later in evening.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kicker16
I hate those things
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by leethefishking
Glue boards will help a lot.
Yep
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 03:21 AM

I have lived in the house since 1993 and we always see a few every year.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 03:26 AM

We have always had them. I've been stung many times. My kids and wife also.
Luckily the variety in North Texas are not potent at all. Their sting is very painful but usually subsides in a matter of minutes.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 03:30 AM

We have them pretty bad here as well. Demand CS is the best defense I have found.
Posted By: The Searchers

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Originally Posted by kennerdude

Same here....our 1yr old grandson is here a lot and I worry he will step on one or try to pick one up if he see its. Usually he is in bed when we see them as its usually later in evening.

Hey Mark, I raised two girls in the same house for the last 17 years and have fought them quite a bit. They hurt like he11.
Look up Demon. It’s a powder I get from feed stores. You mix it in a sprayer and spray like the Orkin man. The only time I have seen scorpions is when I let 6 months lapse without spraying.

Also invest in a black light. They will glow so bright when you shine it you can see them 50ft away. It’s crazy.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 03:35 AM

I kill 1 or 2 a week around house
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 03:40 AM

I have a home in ABQ and one at Rayburn, we get scorpions at both, They seem to be more prevalent at the lake house, but they have shown up this year in ABQ big time. I have actually found some in the woods at the lake on accident, they just show up in my house in ABQ at night running around. I think they are more of a pain in ABQ.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 05:08 AM

I have them around my house. I use the seasonal Spectracide and replaced all wood mulch with rubber mulch. I di to use Cyper WP. I rarely see one.
about 5 years ago, I found a dens of those boogers in a hole an armadillo had dug up against the house and wood mulch was covering it. You have to take their
food source away as scorpions are non cleaning bugs, meaning they do not clean or groom themselves. So unless you spray directly on them it's hard to kill them.

Use a black lite to find them. They light up lime green..
Posted By: Emit R Detsaw

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 05:30 AM

We had more than a dozen our first year in our newly built house in San Antonio. Put steel wool in the weep holes around the foundation. That knocked down the number we were getting in the house by a lot. Also added some of those small wedge insulation pieces on the bottoms of the door frames.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 12:15 PM

My cat has met a couple of them in my screened in porch He did not like the results and has finally learned to respect their business end.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 01:43 PM

if you have brick you can plug the weep holes with pcs of a nylon scrub pad, won't deteriorate like steel wool.

demon is da bomb (literally) around the perimeter, mix n spray and spread a little powder as well, stuff will last a good while.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 01:43 PM

thumb

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 02:28 PM

Thanks for all the tips.
Posted By: Space

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 02:29 PM

Everybody out here complains about them and we all have differents to ways take care of them. The key to control is to stick to a regular schedule.
Posted By: silvers

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 02:43 PM

We had them bad, always on the ceiling or walls, come to find out they were falling from the trees and making their way in from the roof and attic, trimmed the trees back and now we only have one or two in the house every year
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
if you have brick you can plug the weep holes with pcs of a nylon scrub pad, won't deteriorate like steel wool.

demon is da bomb (literally) around the perimeter, mix n spray and spread a little powder as well, stuff will last a good while.

I have seen a couple in the yard. Spray Demon WSP around the foundation once a month and have never had one in the house.
Posted By: skeeter175

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 02:54 PM

Tempo on all the baseboards and under sinks and appliances will take care of them and just about anything else that crawls except ants.
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 03:00 PM

When me and the ole lady were in Thailand they had em for sale to eat. My wife dared me so I bought a paper cone full of fried scorpions.

Before I ate each one I said....."Your little buddy stung me when I was 10 years old, this is payback."

Not back, tasted like fried sawdust so i put a little hot pepper paste on them.....It was like dropping a nuke in my mouth.
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 03:19 PM

Thanks y'all for the great info. One of the dogs the other night saw one crawling across the living room and decided to try to eat it. She didnt like the results either. Quite funny to watch at the time, then when I found out what it was...
eek2 slinger
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 04:13 PM

Several years back, I had a buddy working in the Kenedy/Karnes City area. He had his girlfriend come down and spend the night with him. The crawled in bed and a few minutes later something "bit" him. They jump up and flip the covers back to see a scorpion. He freaked out and called 911. Dispatched laughed at him and told him to call poison control if it gets worse roflmao

He's an idiot but he does make me laugh
Posted By: Icepick

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 04:20 PM

We see about a half dozen a year and half of those are dead because they crawled up inside a light fixture/enclosure.
I learned as a young fella to always turn my boots and shoes upside down and give them a good shake. Same for pants and even bath towels. We've been in our current home 20 years and even though we see them every year no one in my house has been popped by one(knock on wood).
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 04:32 PM

The only time I’ve seen one was in a cabin at lake Bridgeport.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 06:27 PM

I read that tarantulas kill scorpions. Might turn a few loose in your house and see. You might want to check with the ole lady first, though.

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by uncle_bagster
I read that tarantulas kill scorpions. Might turn a few loose in your house and see. You might want to check with the ole lady first, though.

We actually see tarantulas outside the house regularly
Posted By: Cormac

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 07:18 PM

Mark, glue boards will help a lot as said and they are relatively cheap. There is a supply house in Dallas area that you can buy a box of 100. Ill look for the name, I found 21 the first year (14 in glue boards and actually saw 7), so for every I you see there may be 2 more crawling around. Put them against the wall under hutches, especially in the rooms you do see them. Bedrooms are a good spot to protect as you spend a lot of time there. Good luck and hope all is well.
Posted By: Beak47

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 10:13 PM

We have glue boards but they never seem to catch scorpions. They show up in the bathtub even though I have eveything blocked off. Had one fall off the ceiling one nite onto my chest in bed. Naturally he stung me just as I swatted him. The stings hurt like H..l for a little while but I have had red wasps hurt worse. I set off aerosol bombs twice a year but still get scorpions. I shake out my shoes and pants before I put them on.
Posted By: Chug-bug-bang1

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 10:16 PM

Not the musical variety from Germany either but the little spawns of Satan that crawl about. Our home in Roanoke backed up to a greenbelt and we would get a one every now and again in the house but they were rare. When we bought the new place here at the lake we are surrounded by woods and have probably found 10-12 in the house since July. Always in same general area and all but one was super small. Cannot recall seeing so many as I have this year.

Been poked at 3 times over the years.....meh
Posted By: Siberman

Re: Scorpions - 11/08/20 11:53 PM

Got geckos ? Seriously ; have not seen a scorpion since I got a good population of geckos .
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Scorpions - 11/09/20 12:08 AM

Posted By: me and the boys

Re: Scorpions - 11/09/20 01:32 AM

Go to tsc, pick up a packet of Demon Xp.
Double it up in a one gallon sprayer.

You can thank me later.
Posted By: reelfast

Re: Scorpions - 11/09/20 02:09 AM

Get some Chickens! You’ll never see another one

Re: Scorpions - 11/09/20 02:24 AM

I brought bad juju on us....grandson was playing in kitchen while wife was putting up groceries and found one underneat cabinet. He got tagged on the hand. He cried for about 30 seconds then was fine. Hate those fire spitting suckers.
Posted By: Westside.

Re: Scorpions - 11/09/20 02:41 AM

Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Scorpions - 11/09/20 04:49 AM

We use Orkin for them...when we first moved here they were plentiful. Now we see one / two a year since adding their service.

I wasn't used to seeing them at all, now they're like spiders to me. I can't stand either one and will kill them all when I see them.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Scorpions - 11/09/20 04:50 AM

I brought bad juju on us....grandson was playing in kitchen while wife was putting up groceries and found one underneat cabinet. He got tagged on the hand. He cried for about 30 seconds then was fine. Hate those fire spitting suckers.

Damn! I'm sorry man. They're out roaming looking for a safe place before the cold.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Scorpions - 11/09/20 12:17 PM

That would stink. I guess we don't have any is because we have a million geckos running around.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Scorpions - 11/10/20 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Flyfisherman
The only good scorpion
[Linked Image]

I don't know if you have noticed but you have some really big rats in your house.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Scorpions - 11/10/20 02:56 AM

Spread some Diatomaceous Earth around the outside of the house. Check your bath towels before you dry off, trust me.....trust me twice!!!!!
Posted By: machinist

Re: Scorpions - 11/10/20 05:25 AM

Set off insect bombs in the attic. That's were most get in your house if it is brick. They get in the weep holes and work their way to he attic. Then they can pretty much go wherever .
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Scorpions - 11/10/20 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Kicker16
I hate those things

Yep! eeks
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Scorpions - 11/10/20 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rayzor
Originally Posted by Flyfisherman
The only good scorpion
[Linked Image]

I don't know if you have noticed but you have some really big rats in your house.

That thing sounds awesome suppressed.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum