Texas Fishing Forum

My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal?

Posted By: Jet Peddler

My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 07:01 PM

Still a Harley fan and still love this bike (a lot), but some of the problems I'm experiencing should not be happening to any garage-kept bike with only 3,000+/- miles on the clock IMO. Anyone with similar experience either way?

Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 07:06 PM

Pretty sure HasBen predicted this.
Posted By: CrazyCrappieGuy

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 07:17 PM

Ever wonder why Harley riders seem to always have grease on their hands?
Posted By: HasBen

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 07:17 PM

I think it’s the charm of owning a Harley. Beautiful bike.
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 07:20 PM

I've heard from several Harley folks, sometimes you get a new one where no amount of fixing, fixes it, till it's replaced.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 07:25 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TexasMo

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 07:32 PM

only 3000 miles?? you actually have to ride it!!! not sit there.. :-)
Posted By: Icepick

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 07:42 PM

Most Harley owners I've known enjoy working on their bike, tinkering with it and doing things like removing the baffles.
Some claim the extra noise created by doing that helps them avoid getting hit by drivers that don't see them but still hear them. Sometimes I wonder if that's why they have to spend extra time working on them. If my pickup vibrated as bad as a loud Harley I would probably have to work on it too.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 07:43 PM

Thanks JP, I think I'll go home and give my Vulcan (Rice Glide) , that's been to N.Carolina, Missouri, and Big Ben Natl park in the last 3 years... a big Ol' 48,000+ mi. hug and kiss when I get home.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kjwolvy

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 07:45 PM

I've had Hondas and Kawasakis for 30 years, now this. Had similar problems. HD is no better or worse reliability or quality wise. Just cost a tad more. For the bars being off. Few of my bikes were spot on. Raise the front end, loosen the triple tree clamps, hold the wheel between your knees and twist straight. Hondas are notorious for bad starter switches. That's all I got. [Linked Image]
Posted By: John175☮

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 07:49 PM

3,000 miles is pretty good for a Harley. grin

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 07:50 PM

Did you realize that a picture of Harley Quin on a Harley does not exist?

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Huckleberry

You mean like this;

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Icepick
Originally Posted by Huckleberry

You mean like this;

[Linked Image]

Now we're getting technical!
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 08:26 PM

Every day women, especially fat women, have no upper arm strength.

Athletes excluded.

...------

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Indianation65

Athletes excluded.

...------

Debatable. My big gal hacks up cows for a living.
Posted By: Kentucky

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 08:29 PM

80% of the harley's ever made are still on the road,, the other 20% made it home
Posted By: ~Moose~

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 08:32 PM

You may just be the lucky winner of a turd. I have had a '71 XLCH, '04 Softail, '08 CVO Springer and now a '12 Street Glide with zero problems from any of them. Well.....the '71 gave me some headaches, but I did build it from a salvaged frame myself, so they were likely self-induced. grin
Posted By: ~Moose~

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 08:33 PM

Oh, and your video had me cracking up! thumb

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kentucky
80% of the harley's ever made are still on the road,, the other 20% made it home

roflmao
Posted By: HasBen

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 08:41 PM

Safety wire that sucker.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 09:05 PM

What is falling apart? What kind of problems?

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/06/20 09:16 PM

And is stuffs falling off it wasn't meant to be there to begin with. [Linked Image]
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/07/20 12:13 AM

I have an 89 sportster i bought brand new. It fell apart too. Lost second gear with 6K miles (after 1 year warranty) at 15K miles it burned as much oil as gas almost and every switch had crumbled to dust.

I have a Yamaha and a Kawi now. Both high mileage and neither with any pros so far.

But dang it, the sound of a harley and the looks. I just wish they would make a good bike that handled and could beat a toyota camry in a drag race.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/07/20 02:29 AM

I’ve had a motorcycle since I was 2 yrs old. The ONLY one that never had a SINGLE issue was my 2008 GSXR 1000. Put a little over 40,000 trouble free miles on that bike. Worst ever was my Indian. Never owned a Herpy Davidson.
Posted By: gander

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/07/20 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jet Peddler
Still a Harley fan and still love this bike (a lot), but some of the problems I'm experiencing should not be happening to any garage-kept bike with only 3,000+/- miles on the clock IMO. Anyone with similar experience either way?

The handlebar issue I have head of and is a minor adjustment....mine is a 2014 FLSTC I bought
it used used in 2017 and have put almost 10k on it with no issues.
I have friends that ride HD and put way more miles on than I do with no issues. Luck of the draw I suppose
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/07/20 02:57 PM

the exhaust rattles everything to pieces
Posted By: Jet Peddler

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/08/20 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Indianation65

Athletes excluded.

...------

Important for a woman to have upper arm strength. Weiner-curlathon endurance. banana
Posted By: BassFever

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/08/20 04:39 PM

My BIL owns two so he always has one to ride because one is always broken down. I never owned a motorcycle just so I could work on it. I wanted it to start every time I turned the key.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/08/20 07:19 PM

My last 3 Harleys were an '01 Softtail Springer, '05 Road Glide, and a '10 Road Glide Ultra. Combined I put close to 120k miles between the 3 of them without an issue.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/08/20 11:35 PM

My last Harley, a 2002 Deuce, was flawless the entire time I had it. Sometimes we just get a lemon. It happens with all vehicle makes.
Posted By: glenls

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/09/20 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by kjwolvy
And is stuffs falling off it wasn't meant to be there to begin with. [Linked Image]

That an oil spot under that puppy? Bought a brand new Super Glide back in 1976 and that thing shook everything off the thing, including a couple of fillings out of my teeth. Kept it 4 years, 1200 miles and sold the thing.
Posted By: DCmac

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/10/20 06:08 PM

Why I got Hondas. 97k on the Shadow and still going strong, not quite 50k on the Wing. Do your periodic maintenance and they run forever. Couple guys I work with have H-D and comment from both is they like playing wrench, something not needed with the rice burners.

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/10/20 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by glenls
Originally Posted by kjwolvy

That an oil spot under that puppy? Bought a brand new Super Glide back in 1976 and that thing shook everything off the thing, including a couple of fillings out of my teeth. Kept it 4 years, 1200 miles and sold the thing.

I replaced the clutch cover. I knew I'd lose some oil. Didn't realize a quart would dump out.

Re: My new Harley-Davidson is falling apart! Is this normal? - 11/10/20 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by DCmac
Why I got Hondas. 97k on the Shadow and still going strong, not quite 50k on the Wing. Do your periodic maintenance and they run forever. Couple guys I work with have H-D and comment from both is they like playing wrench, something not needed with the rice burners.

My last bikes were an 1100 Shadow and a 750 Shadow. The 750 was great but the 1100 was on its 3d alternator and 2d starter motor when I sold it at 36000 miles.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum