Texas Fishing Forum

Plaster Crown Molding

Posted By: Nocona Brian

Plaster Crown Molding - 10/23/20 07:25 PM

Any of yall know someone capable of making molds, replacing, etc. Mathew Henson - Henson Ornamental was recommended but was told he's out of biz and moved off to Houston.

Looking for a company who's experienced working with the Texas Historical Commission and their standards to do some work in Wichita Falls, we'll be starting work after the first of the year.

This is some of what we've got. House was built in 1909.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/23/20 07:53 PM

I just going to tell you, it’s going to be hard to find someone to do that. If you do it’s going to be mucho denaro

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/23/20 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by TexDawg
I just going to tell you, it’s going to be hard to find someone to do that. If you do it’s going to be mucho denaro

No doubt its specialized.

This is the main house, it's got a two story carriage house behind it that's also part of all this. We're going to scaffold the whole thing and do a bunch of masonry work, remove & rebuild over 60 windows, probably a dozen doors, pretty much take the whole front porch/balcony apart down to the dirt and rebuild it. The plaster work on the interior is about the only thing I'm getting hung up on. It's a big dang project.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/23/20 08:27 PM

Wow, that’s a cool house
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/23/20 08:30 PM

It looks to be in the same condition of most of the public schools in Wichita Falls.

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/23/20 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Duke 22
It looks to be in the same condition of most of the public schools in Wichita Falls.

That's no lie. I actually voted today for it.

I think... we'd be in Old High's zone come that time, but hopefully 10 or so years from now that thing will be a fading memory.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/23/20 08:55 PM

I’ve done several of that type of work, we did a historical renovation at the Terry county courthouse a couple years ago. Do you have any of the existing cornice that may have fallen to make a mold with?
Posted By: flee fly

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/23/20 09:48 PM

Old school for sure
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/23/20 09:53 PM

That house is awesome.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/23/20 10:08 PM

I'm in Holiday district, but have many friends going through the Rider/ Old High debate right now. You might want to check with someone like Randy Wachsman or Eddie Holcomb for your plaster recommendations. They might be able to get you going in the right direction.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/23/20 11:38 PM

https://decoratorssupply.com/collections/crown

[Linked Image]

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/23/20 11:39 PM

they have a few like that with different spacing on the dental part and different widths, you would be best off sending them a pc of what you have to match right.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/23/20 11:54 PM

at a hotel renovation we are working on
they are using a 3d printer to mimic what they have
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/24/20 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Duke 22
I'm in Holiday district, but have many friends going through the Rider/ Old High debate right now. You might want to check with someone like Randy Wachsman or Eddie Holcomb for your plaster recommendations. They might be able to get you going in the right direction.

Don't check with Randy, he don't know his arse from a hole in the ground lol, he is my first cousin. Somebody about to spend a bunch of money, going to be really cool when you get it finished.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/24/20 02:34 AM

I watched it done once on tv. It is definitely a rare skill.
Posted By: DI

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/24/20 03:33 AM

That house is haunted. Guaranteed
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/24/20 03:51 AM

Tom Silva could do it and you might get it done for free

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DavidWhatley

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/24/20 04:24 AM

Used to be a company in either Burleson or Cleburne that did work like that out of a roam product. Wouldn't be wood, or plaster but might do if you cant find someone.
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/24/20 09:56 AM

It’s my understanding that what you seek is a dying art/ trade . Good luck and you have a beautiful house
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/24/20 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nickbyrd
It’s my understanding that what you seek is a dying art/ trade . Good luck and you have a beautiful house

Nowadays you can reproduce anything with the help of computers, but finding that person, and the cost is what's going to be difficult!
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/24/20 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo

Nowadays you can reproduce anything with the help of computers, but finding that person, and the cost is what's going to be difficult!

Yupper

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/24/20 03:58 PM

Yupper

Part of being a Texas historical landmark and keeping that designation is on these repairs, they’ve got to be fixed the same way they would’ve been done for whatever period they were put on the house. Even the “new” wood has to be old growth from the same area, of the same species and grain as you’re repairing. One of the craziest things is the brick mortar. They test your mixing formula so it matches the existing!

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/24/20 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by NoconaBrian

Yupper

Part of being a Texas historical landmark and keeping that designation is on these repairs, they’ve got to be fixed the same way they would’ve been done for whatever period they were put on the house. Even the “new” wood has to be old growth from the same area, of the same species and grain as you’re repairing. One of the craziest things is the brick mortar. They test your mixing formula so it matches the existing!

welcome to historical restoration, I worked on 2 victorians in breckenridge and swore never to do another.

if the co. I posted doesn't have what you need, look for others based in the ne, there is a lot of restoration done up there and a lot of cos. do off the wall architectural stuff and are really good at it.

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/24/20 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by NoconaBrian

Yupper

thats nuts

the hotel they are using the 3d printer on
is The Baker in Mineral Wells
don't know how you get more historic than that
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/24/20 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by DavidWhatley
Used to be a company in either Burleson or Cleburne that did work like that out of a roam product. Wouldn't be wood, or plaster but might do if you cant find someone.

Johnson County foam in cleburne, used them for years.

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/24/20 10:00 PM

butch,

depends on which restoration rules you are working under, we had the national standard on the victorians since they were on the national historic register.
part of the gold mining era of breckenridge. Texas probably has their own.

Re: Plaster Crown Molding - 10/24/20 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
butch,

depends on which restoration rules you are working under, we had the national standard on the victorians since they were on the national historic register.
part of the gold mining era of breckenridge. Texas probably has their own.

yes
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum