Texas Fishing Forum

Bonham VA nursing home update

Posted By: plumbcrazy

Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 12:45 AM

23 new cases of the covid I am so sick of this s*** I haven't seen my dad in person since March 90 year old Korean War Air Force vet
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 12:46 AM

Saw my dad today for the first time since probably February.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 12:47 AM

Sorry to hear that. Wife’s grandmother died last month and we hadn’t seen her since Christmas. Luckily, my MIL was able to visit with her the week she passed.

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 12:52 AM

I saw him about a month ago through window with the phone since the cases has ramped up not letting them do that they're keeping them locked in their room
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 01:14 AM

This week in the ER we have really ramped up on testing and positive results. I don’t know if it’s the weather change, the people getting allergy infections, or what. It is pretty scary, and I’ve pretty much decided we will all have it before it’s all said and done. Most positive patients have less symptoms than the common flu. One of the nurses and I were trying to decide if we would rather have the flu Or Covid… We both decided we would rather have Covid due to the lesser symptoms that we see. We wear PPE and masks at all times, even around one another when no patients present. None of the staff has tested positive or had any symptoms since this started. I’ve been in many patient rooms with just my surgical mask, gloves, and goggles... I know the mask works. Take it off and hang out with some positive patients and you’ll believe me. Lol!
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 01:53 AM

Sucks!

I hope their looking out for the best interest of your Father. angel
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 01:56 AM

Its not right.
Posted By: ahren

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 02:28 AM

The propaganda around this virus is insane. Australia had zero cases of flu this season..but lots of covid...The politics of this is awful, the things we are allowing ourselves to be subjected to is ridiculous. My dad died in the Bonham VA in 2018 and I have nothing but praise for the girls that cared for him. But if we were in this time, I would probably be in jail. I would get in there no matter what even if I went to jail after. The poor man didn't recognize his own wife of 45 years but knew me and he would not die thinking I abandoned him. Thank God I didn't have to force that issue.
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 02:35 AM

You walk in there and ask them how corona is getting in if they are on lockdown..

Their only possible response is workers.

You then tell them that you are willing to wear the same PPE these infectors were wearing when it got brought in.

Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by plumbcrazy
23 new cases of the covid I am so sick of this s*** I haven't seen my dad in person since March 90 year old Korean War Air Force vet

Prayers sent! angel

My dad passed away in June and we had not seen him since the 1st week of March.

We could not even see him when he was in the ICU on his death bed. crying
Posted By: flee fly

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 11:42 AM

Heartbreaking
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 11:50 AM

Couldn’t you just go there and get your loved one and bring them home until all of this is over?
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 11:58 AM

so sorry you are going through all of this, and sorry for those who have lost loved ones. prayers sent
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by SkeeterRonnie
This week in the ER we have really ramped up on testing and positive results. I don’t know if it’s the weather change, the people getting allergy infections, or what. It is pretty scary, and I’ve pretty much decided we will all have it before it’s all said and done. Most positive patients have less symptoms than the common flu. One of the nurses and I were trying to decide if we would rather have the flu Or Covid… We both decided we would rather have Covid due to the lesser symptoms that we see. We wear PPE and masks at all times, even around one another when no patients present. None of the staff has tested positive or had any symptoms since this started. I’ve been in many patient rooms with just my surgical mask, gloves, and goggles... I know the mask works. Take it off and hang out with some positive patients and you’ll believe me. Lol!

Here's an actual case breakdown on 1854 patients in our county that we've been tracking. Only 3% have had severe symptoms and only 1% were hospitalized. And I believe we've had 2 deaths, but don't quote me on that.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
Couldn’t you just go there and get your loved one and bring them home until all of this is over?

You can check your family out of the nursing home anytime you so choose.
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by jackiekennedyfishingguide

This is the the exact reason why I bought some property. Going to remove my parents from the concentration camp of a retirement village they live in, and move them to the country to live out their days in peace. They were in lock down, the entire community, for a couple months. The now have armed guards at the gates and you have to answer 100 questions about where you've been, who you've been with, when was the last time you were sick...etc. etc.

PlumbCrazy, sorry you're having to go through all that. Sorry ANYone has to go through this. Not being able to be with your immediate family on their deathbed, I would be extremely hostile!
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by jackiekennedyfishingguide

You can, but like in my uncle's case, it really is better for him to be in the assisted living facility where he is. He has severe PTSD and can get a bit violent...plus he's been falling lately and my mom can't lift him, and he's about 300 pounds. With my back, I don't know that I could get him off the ground, either. I am glad my mom can finally go visit him again...
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by SkeeterRonnie

What type of mask do you use? Can u post a pic?
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 09:56 PM

my last in person cancer treatment/assessment at bonham was in feb.
in the interim I got another new dr. and they were only doing telemed which doesn't help me at all. I can refill scripts online and ask for supplies but have not had a dr. appt. since feb.

bonham is by far the best va I have ever been around, they just have to go by what d.c. tells them to do.

sorry it is afu and hope your dad is doing good.
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 10:00 PM

The VA is the Dollar General store of healthcare

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/15/20 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Scagnetti

while it may not be the mayo clinic I have received cancer treatments from a lot of private drs. that work with the va, all come to the dallas va and some even come to bonham bi monthly. they are teaching drs. from a couple of the college medical centers.

no different than going to a major hospital except more regimented.
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/16/20 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
Originally Posted by Scagnetti

while it may not be the mayo clinic I have received cancer treatments from a lot of private drs. that work with the va, all come to the dallas va and some even come to bonham bi monthly. they are teaching drs. from a couple of the college medical centers.

no different than going to a major hospital except more regimented.

It’s laughable to say you get the same level of care at a VA hospital as you do Baylor Scott & White Dallas or UT Southwestern Dallas.

The last 10 years of my business career, I worked closely with and for enterprise level healthcare care professionals who, because of their positions, were often approached by troubled people with the proverbial “My dad/son/daughter is in a VA hospital and he’s getting appalling care. What should I do?”

The answer was always the same: “Get him out of there TODAY and put him in an capable, acute care hospital.”

The VA is overwhelmed with cases because of the colossal number of people claiming benefits from the Mid East wars. No system exists to handle that number of cases. Why do you think there have been so many problems with the VA?

You get what you pay for.

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/16/20 10:37 AM

actually scags, those 2 hospitals and Presbyterian are where some of my cancer docs have been from, I have no idea how it is set up but they were in their hospitals lab coat with the info.
the oncologist that did the hole in my head was from presbyterian and had 3 advanced students with her to assist/watch.

I also now have the ability to get care from my local drs. and hospitals along with emergency care at one of the paris 24/7 emergency places.

Trump has completely revamped how the va works and while it is still not perfect it is what I have and it works good for me.

I can also say that being in the system since 1974 it is 1000% better than it was.

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/20/20 11:17 PM

Update just got the call 23 new cases for the residents today and 8 employees I'm so ready for this s*** to end been waiting on the call to take a class for 2 hours and the test to see if we could see him and we can have no call back I'm very frustrated and still no window visits which is stupid but I still have faith in his caregivers there they really treat the Vets good
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/20/20 11:25 PM

Man that suks. Hopefully you get to see him soon.
I think the Covid will never go away kind of like the flu, just need the vaccine I guess.
I haven't seen my mom since Thanksgiving, and I don't know if she'll want to be around us this Thanksgiving.
I can hear it in her voice that she wants to see the family and misses the grandkids, but she just doesn't want to take the chance.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 10/20/20 11:29 PM

Prayers up to you and your Pops-I take care of my elderly father. It’s a tough job but I love him to death.

Re: Bonham VA nursing home update - 11/11/20 12:21 AM

Update 23 residents tested positive 17 or in quarantine in the VA nursing home 6 or in the VA hospital being treated my he doesn't have a fever his oxygen level is it 98% he's just tired and doesn't want to eat say a prayer for everybody up up there dad being one many heroes in the nursing home I know the staff is doing everything they can to keep them safe they're just really shorthanded
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum