Texas Fishing Forum

Battery or Alternator

Posted By: McLovin’

Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 05:32 PM

So son was coming home last night in his truck (2012 Silverado 1500) and he said the lights all went dim and truck almost shut off.
Managed to get home but then truck wouldn’t turn over?
Went out just now and truck started and I moved it down to the shop.

I’m thinking of replacing the battery because this one is a few years old anyway. Hoping that corrects the issue, but I am no kind of mechanic
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 05:35 PM

The times I've been driving and the radio goes, the lights dim and the vehicle dies, it's been the alternator.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 05:35 PM

alternator. you can get it tested at autozone. battery too.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 05:46 PM

Batteries go bad in 36 months on average. But it sounds like the alternator here, like Bob said, go see the guys at Autozone to make sure.
Posted By: Space

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 05:51 PM

If the light dim and radio quits it is the alternator.
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 05:53 PM

Posted By: spazm09

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 06:11 PM

Not sure if it works in newer vehicles but I know in my old 86 pickup you could start the truck, unhook the battery and if the truck died then the alternator was bad, if it stayed running the battery was the problem.

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by spazm09
Not sure if it works in newer vehicles but I know in my old 86 pickup you could start the truck, unhook the battery and if the truck died then the alternator was bad, if it stayed running the battery was the problem.

cant do that these days. you'll fry your computer.
Posted By: RickS.

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 06:20 PM

Alternator for sure. The battery is pretty much just for starting the vehicle. If the alternator goes out then the battery becomes the power source. Which will drain it
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 06:24 PM

Sounds like an alternator issue. I’d replace both.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 06:39 PM

Quick and simple check with a volt meter. Measure the voltage between the battery terminals with the engine off. It should read 12 volts or a touch more. Start the engine and measure the voltage. With the engine running it should read around 14 volts.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW

cant do that these days. you'll fry your computer.

Yeah that's what I figured.
Posted By: Hook'Em 79

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Quick and simple check with a volt meter. Measure the voltage between the battery terminals with the engine off. It should read 12 volts or a touch more. Start the engine and measure the voltage. With the engine running it should read around 14 volts.

This is spot on and how the auto parts store will check his truck more than likely.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 08:00 PM

I just replaced the OEM battery on my 2014 F150 a week or so ago. cheers

They don't last forever. violin
Posted By: Cast

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 08:09 PM

Alternator. Try to find an auto electric shop to repair it.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 08:59 PM

Normally I'd say alternator....but in my old Town Car it ended up being the battery.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
Alternator. Try to find an auto electric shop to repair it.

Cast, I tried to get an alternator shop to repair one off of a 2011 Toyota 4Runner and he said I could buy a rebuilt cheaper than he could rebuild it. He said the older ones were easy to rebuild, but the newer ones were a pain and expensive. He suggested Auto Zone or O'Rilley, etc. as he could order me one but not get close to their price. I got one at Auto Zone with a lifetime warranty. The battery was 5 years old so my wife driving it till is quit finished the battery too. I did the voltage test with the engine running and the alternator guy tested it as bad.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

me too, only got 6 yrs out of it, dangit! woot

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 09:41 PM

change battery, biggest, baddest mamajama that will fit, start truck, voltmeter should show 13.5 or better charge voltage, if it does you are good on alt. if not, new/rebuilt alt.

as cheap as oriellys or the zone are, replace both and be done with it.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 09:42 PM

We did this on our 1954 fork lift today. It has a 292 Ford V8 engine. And the test showed the alternator was shot. Auto Zone test confirmed it.

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 09:46 PM

25.00 battery load tester, best for checking batteries

[Linked Image]
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 11:15 PM

Thanks guys...guess I’ll replace both and be done with it
Posted By: Beak47

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 11:25 PM

Ft Worth Starter and Generator in the past worked for me for rebuild. If you dont want to spend $500 for OEM try DB Electric online..... Camry Alternator was $170. Really fast shipping!

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/14/20 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Beak47
Ft Worth Starter and Generator in the past worked for me for rebuild. If you dont want to spend $500 for OEM try DB Electric online..... Camry Alternator was $170. Really fast shipping!

Second on db electric. They have everything.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/15/20 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

me too, only got 6 yrs out of it, dangit! woot

Just about time to replace mine in my 2014. Getting a little weak
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/15/20 01:22 AM

Rock auto!!!
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Battery or Alternator - 10/15/20 09:26 AM

Alternator but sometimes they fry the battery
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum