Texas Fishing Forum

Pellet smoker

Posted By: machinist

Pellet smoker - 09/30/20 02:54 AM

Ok I have $250 in Walmart gift certificates. I want to buy a pellet smoker. Are any of the ones Walmart carries worth buying? I have been told the pellets you use are just as important as the smoker. Help me please.
Posted By: Tneel

Re: Pellet smoker - 09/30/20 03:00 AM

I've heard the reviews on the Zgrill pellet poopers are good and they are inexpensive.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Pellet smoker - 09/30/20 03:00 AM

I have a pit boss from walmart and it has worked well for me
Posted By: cwil

Re: Pellet smoker - 09/30/20 03:03 AM

Can you even get a pellet grill for $250? when I bought mine, seemed everything started at $500-$600 and up, up, & up.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Pellet smoker - 09/30/20 03:14 AM

Bought mine for 250, it was over 100 dollars off due to being the end of season closeout.
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: Pellet smoker - 09/30/20 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Brent S
Bought mine for 250, it was over 100 dollars off due to being the end of season closeout.

Yep, found a camp chef for $200 off on close out a while back
Posted By: lowew79

Re: Pellet smoker - 09/30/20 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by machinist
Ok I have $250 in Walmart gift certificates. I want to buy a pellet smoker. Are any of the ones Walmart carries worth buying? I have been told the pellets you use are just as important as the smoker. Help me please.

Are you supposed to use those to re-pay "microsoft" for the over payment of a refund? lol
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Pellet smoker - 09/30/20 04:53 AM

Z GRILLS wood pellet BBQ Grill and Smoker w/ digital temp.controls and free patio cover. $369.00
Pit Boss's Competition Blend Pellets.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Pellet smoker - 09/30/20 11:53 AM

Wal Mart carries Pit Boss also.
Posted By: junbengreat

Re: Pellet smoker - 09/30/20 01:31 PM

Save your money and buy a reqtec
Posted By: machinist

Re: Pellet smoker - 09/30/20 01:40 PM

Well I gotta spend these gift certificates this year. I know I will probably have to put some money with them but I don't mind that long as I can get something of value with them. We were given these by our insurance company so you know I have already been screwed cause they don't give out anything for free.
Posted By: RipDaLips

Re: Pellet smoker - 09/30/20 02:13 PM

I looked long and hard at pellet grills before pulling the trigger on my Camp Chef.

Several of my neighbors swore by their Treagers. They make good grills don't get me wrong, but after seeing what cleaning process
they had to endure to clean the ash, the deciding factor for me was the quick ash dump the Camp Chef offered. I didn't want to have to
pull the guts out to clean it each time.

Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Pellet smoker - 09/30/20 02:57 PM

I have an entry level Camp Chef I paid $250 for about five years ago. Some day I will up grade to their best model Best thing for smoking any meat. As far as clean out of the ash, I use an old shop vac and it only takes a few seconds. Takes longer to remove the metal tray to get to the ash cup.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Pellet smoker - 09/30/20 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by junbengreat
I almost went this route but ultimately the cost was just too much. I figured I can buy three pit bosses for the same money as one rec tec. No way a rec tec outlasts three pit bosses.

Re: Pellet smoker - 09/30/20 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by leethefishking
I almost went this route but ultimately the cost was just too much. I figured I can buy three pit bosses for the same money as one rec tec. No way a rec tec outlasts three pit bosses.

It will and it will. Req Tec is the top of the line pellet grill and the customer support is top notch. No other customer support comes close to req Tecs
Posted By: Popedaddy

Re: Pellet smoker - 09/30/20 07:29 PM

Jun, how many pellet grill customer services have you used? Serious question.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Pellet smoker - 09/30/20 09:37 PM

Pellet smokers are not self- cleaning.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Pellet smoker - 09/30/20 10:12 PM

It will and it will. Req Tec is the top of the line pellet grill and the customer support is top notch. No other customer support comes close to req Tecs

RecTec is also all stainless steel so it will not rust out like the others in a few years.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Pellet smoker - 10/01/20 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by V-Bottom

Z GRILLS wood pellet BBQ Grill and Smoker w/ digital temp.controls and free patio cover. $369.00
Pit Boss's Competition Blend Pellets.

Bought for daughter and got $100 off with Amazon card. Card will go in shredder when it gets here.

Re: Pellet smoker - 10/01/20 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by popedaddy
Jun, how many pellet grill customer services have you used? Serious question.

Just req tec. When the owner calls you on a Sunday, or they replace any part no questions asked. They earn my business. I haven’t had any major issues with my grill, but when I do call I get an answer within 30 mins even after hours.
Posted By: fishentime

Re: Pellet smoker - 10/01/20 10:35 AM

^^^ he's right you know .
thumb
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Pellet smoker - 10/01/20 08:28 PM

I have a traeger, havent particularly found a big diff between pellets by brand or flavor...

I only clean my ash out once a year if even and its not hard.

Now that I got a Ninja foodi I use my bbq much less.
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Pellet smoker - 10/01/20 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
I have a traeger, havent particularly found a big diff between pellets by brand or flavor...

I only clean my ash out once a year if even and its not hard.

Now that I got a Ninja foodi I use my bbq much less.

I have found some of the pellets have "other woods' in them and they do not burn as consistent as 100% hardwood. I personally only use 100% hickory. It burns consistent, and holds temp better. The mixed woods, the temp can swing 40º to 50º.
Posted By: RonH

Re: Pellet smoker - 10/02/20 12:51 PM

Look at the Masterbuilt 560 Gravity fed smokers. It's the next best thing to an off set cooker and they should be marked down now. You can thank me latter
Posted By: JWfish

Re: Pellet smoker - 10/02/20 06:33 PM

Trust me, save your money and get a Rec Teq. I think they even offer financing. We had a Masterbuit, Bradley, and a GreenMountain Grill. Our new RecTeq Bull is by far the BEST smoker we have bought. It is built much better with stainless steel, has extremely accurate temp control and unheard of customer service. It isn’t uncommon for one of the owners to call you personally. If you are into FB, check out any of the RecTeq pages. It’s a treasure trove of opinions, information and recipes. We are probably 10 cooks in, every meal fantastic and have not regretted the cost at all. In fact, we are saving money but not buying BBQ from our favorite BBQ places because ours is sooooooo much better now.
Posted By: TryHard

Re: Pellet smoker - 10/02/20 06:47 PM

I have a PitBoss and do NOT recommend it. The temperature measured on the grate varies ~85 degrees from left to right. The temperature dial, on mine at least, jumps from 250-300. There is not a 275 degree option. Mine has a "smoke setting" but the fire almost always goes out on that setting. Mine needs to be shop vac'd after ~8 hours of smoke time, but I find myself doing it before every cook because the fire gets squirrely otherwise.

All that being said, I've enjoyed the heck out of my PitBoss Pro820 series. It's been a great gateway to get me into BBQ'ing, but there are better options out there for a comparable price.

I'm using B&B brand pellets in the Oak and Competition Blend flavors. I've tried others, but B&B has produced the best taste for us.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Pellet smoker - 10/02/20 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by JWfish
Trust me, save your money and get a Rec Teq. I think they even offer financing. We had a Masterbuit, Bradley, and a GreenMountain Grill. Our new RecTeq Bull is by far the BEST smoker we have bought. It is built much better with stainless steel, has extremely accurate temp control and unheard of customer service. It isn’t uncommon for one of the owners to call you personally. If you are into FB, check out any of the RecTeq pages. It’s a treasure trove of opinions, information and recipes. We are probably 10 cooks in, every meal fantastic and have not regretted the cost at all. In fact, we are saving money but not buying BBQ from our favorite BBQ places because ours is sooooooo much better now.

I was looking at the Green Mountain but nobody would ship one. Pick up only. I called RecTec just to see if they had it in stock and whatnot. They owner ended up talking to me for about 30 minutes going over the whole thing. Real nice guy. Bought the RecTec right then and glad I did. It's been great.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Pellet smoker - 10/02/20 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by TryHard
I'm using B&B brand pellets in the Oak and Competition Blend flavors. I've tried others, but B&B has produced the best taste for us.

That's what I've been using. I really like the comp blend. Our Buccees just started carrying the B&B oak. I'm going to get a bag of those.
Posted By: TryHard

Re: Pellet smoker - 10/02/20 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Derek 🐝

That's what I've been using. I really like the comp blend. Our Buccees just started carrying the B&B oak. I'm going to get a bag of those.

The post oak pellets are my "go-to" when I'm wanting a heavier smoke flavor. The difference between the two is significant. Also buying @Buccees.
Posted By: hogbus

Re: Pellet smoker - 10/02/20 11:05 PM

Pitts and Spits maverick. Heavy 7 gauge steel. Hand welded in Houston. I have two 1250 one at lake and one at home. These are lifetime cookers. Good luck.
Posted By: hogbus

Re: Pellet smoker - 10/02/20 11:13 PM

I have a PitBoss and do NOT recommend it. The temperature measured on the grate varies ~85 degrees from left to right. The temperature dial, on mine at least, jumps from 250-300. There is not a 275 degree option. Mine has a "smoke setting" but the fire almost always goes out on that setting. Mine needs to be shop vac'd after ~8 hours of smoke time, but I find myself doing it before every cook because the fire gets squirrely otherwise.

All that being said, I've enjoyed the heck out of my PitBoss Pro820 series. It's been a great gateway to get me into BBQ'ing, but there are better options out there for a comparable price.

I have a 820 also. Check out the Savannah Stoker pid controller. It makes that cooker work like a champ. Totally adjustable and accurate. Worth the money.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Pellet smoker - 10/03/20 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Derek 🐝
Originally Posted by JWfish

I was looking at the Green Mountain but nobody would ship one. Pick up only. I called RecTec just to see if they had it in stock and whatnot. They owner ended up talking to me for about 30 minutes going over the whole thing. Real nice guy. Bought the RecTec right then and glad I did. It's been great.

thumb clap
I've had my RT590 for a little over 2 months now. Should have gotten it years ago.
Posted By: barndoor

Re: Pellet smoker - 10/03/20 09:05 PM

My PitBoss is awesome!
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Pellet smoker - 10/04/20 12:00 AM

When you have a yard full of people waiting on some Q, once is too many...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum