Texas Fishing Forum

Water pipe hammering...

Posted By: RipDaLips

Water pipe hammering... - 09/24/20 04:02 PM

What's the correct procedure here?

Turn off water at the meter, open all cold water valves, drain-close, then turn the main back on? The hammering is at a toilet in the main bath.

And somebody splain me how in the hay air gets in the line in the 1st place. No leaks per the lil arrow thingie on the water meter.

Hammer away, the warden is on my arse about it. argue
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Water pipe hammering... - 09/24/20 04:04 PM

confused 3
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Water pipe hammering... - 09/24/20 04:06 PM

Does it do it with the washing machine or with all faucets? I relieved mine with hammer arresters at the hot and cold faucets on the washing machine. Quiet as a mouse now.

Re: Water pipe hammering... - 09/24/20 04:07 PM

It only occurs when the terlet in the master bath is flushed (her's). wife
Posted By: rh47

Re: Water pipe hammering... - 09/24/20 04:48 PM

Sounds like the toilet valve (ballcock valve inside tank) is shutting off fast and causing the hammer shock. Turn down the water valve (cutoff) coming into the tank and slow down the tank filling up. Ballcock will turn off easier without the quick force that causes the hammer. If this doesn't work, you will need to add a water hammer arrestor at the cutoff valve under tank.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Water pipe hammering... - 09/24/20 05:08 PM

I thought this was going to be about something else.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Water pipe hammering... - 09/24/20 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by rh47
Sounds like the toilet valve (ballcock valve inside tank) is shutting off fast and causing the hammer shock. Turn down the water valve (cutoff) coming into the tank and slow down the tank filling up. Ballcock will turn off easier without the quick force that causes the hammer. If this doesn't work, you will need to add a water hammer arrestor at the cutoff valve under tank.

If this is the cause, replace the fill valve in the terlet tank with the pedestal type. They shut off more gradually.

Re: Water pipe hammering... - 09/24/20 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by rh47

Thank you sir, that seemed to fix it. 4 flushes and no hammering yet.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Water pipe hammering... - 09/24/20 07:12 PM

You have to give your toilet mouth to mouth. Sucks to be you
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: Water pipe hammering... - 09/24/20 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sawhorse

Same here
Posted By: MAK747

Re: Water pipe hammering... - 09/24/20 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sawhorse

Yeah, same here. I recall water pipes and getting hammered... but I digress. bolt
Posted By: plumbcrazy

Re: Water pipe hammering... - 09/24/20 08:36 PM

Loose washer on stop some where
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum