Texas Fishing Forum

Forest & 75

Posted By: Flyfisherman

Forest & 75 - 09/04/20 08:30 PM

I drove by yesterday, and the police were closing down the homeless camp. Not sure what the answer is to homelessness, and I feel bad for the people because most likely have severe mental illness. It’ll be interesting to see how quickly it pops back up. That intersection was really starting to look like downtown San Francisco.
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Forest & 75 - 09/04/20 09:14 PM

Give it a while, they will be back. DPD gets bitched at by a City Council or a Citizens Council person and are told to move them out.
All they do is move to another part of town until the City Council or Citizens Council in the new area starts bitching.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Forest & 75 - 09/04/20 10:14 PM

They were doing the samething at Regal Row and 183 on Thursday
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Forest & 75 - 09/04/20 11:54 PM

Drove by the homeless area on Lancaster in Fort Worth....truly surprised to see so many with a mask on, even outside, and the homeless camps under the bridges seriously looked like they were socially distancing.

I don't know what the answer is, either, but the Salvation Army and Gospel Union Mission seem to be doing a good job trying to keep the homeless from catching Covid....

Truly wish we treated those with mental health issues better in this nation.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Forest & 75 - 09/05/20 12:01 AM

There are many places people can go to be out of the weather-

Many choose not to so they can continue to do drugs/alcohol-
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Forest & 75 - 09/05/20 12:04 AM

Fresh out of grad school I moved into my first Dallas apartment on Forest Lane a little east of 75. Had a 5 minute commute to work at TI. Imagine the 'hood has changed a bit since 1980.
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Forest & 75 - 09/05/20 12:08 AM

When political correctness closed all mental asylums, it left "families" to deal with their mentally ill and drug addicted family members.

Families can only take/do so much, and finally, they kick them out.

I've dealt with this issue, and know other people who have dealt with mental illness and the clinics/hospitals, and the hospitals will only keep them for a short time.

Homelessness, sadly, becomes the #1 choice.

As stated, I've seen this up close, and know the pain drugs/alcohol and mental illness can rip families apart. Many heads of houses finally have to say, "Enough."

...------
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Forest & 75 - 09/05/20 12:08 AM

Addendum: I did not know 75/Forest was a homeless area, but I guess it won't be for long.

...------
Posted By: TR176

Re: Forest & 75 - 09/05/20 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by JCG57
Fresh out of grad school I moved into my first Dallas apartment on Forest Lane a little east of 75. Had a 5 minute commute to work at TI. Imagine the 'hood has changed a bit since 1980.

Did you ever go the the bar on Forest that had am lingerie shows. It was sometime later but working at night I only went there for pool and football plus BYOColaches.

Re: Forest & 75 - 09/05/20 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Indianation65
Addendum: I did not know 75/Forest was a homeless area, but I guess it won't be for long.

...------

I don’t get up there often,but the last time I did a drive by a lady(?) was showering using bottled water.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Forest & 75 - 09/05/20 12:55 AM

Just wait to early next year when evictions hit and people owe several months of rent. The CDC outlawing evictions for 4 months is just kicking the can down the road. Do they really think people that are facing eviction today are going to come up with months of rent. I predict the title loan business will be alive and well.
Posted By: Flyfisherman

Re: Forest & 75 - 09/05/20 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper
Just wait to early next year when evictions hit and people owe several months of rent. The CDC outlawing evictions for 4 months is just kicking the can down the road. Do they really think people that are facing eviction today are going to come up with months of rent. I predict the title loan business will be alive and well.

I work in the used car auto finance business. It’s amazing to see that so far, there really hasn’t been an increase in repos for our dealers.
Posted By: Chug-bug-bang1

Re: Forest & 75 - 09/05/20 01:36 AM

Truth spoken
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Forest & 75 - 09/05/20 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Flyfisherman

I work in the used car auto finance business. It’s amazing to see that so far, there really hasn’t been an increase in repos for our dealers.

I worked for a major mobile home manufacturer when oil tanked in the 80s. Repos almost shut us down. Before that our sales folks in Texas were order takers. We were having trouble finding places to park them. Fortunately that was before we had our own finance company. The last thing people want to lose is their ride. I think the extra $600 in unemployment has pushed out the repos.

Re: Forest & 75 - 09/05/20 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Chug-bug-bang1

Truth spoken

Easy to point out the Problem and second it. Now what is the solution?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Forest & 75 - 09/05/20 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by steveiam
There are many places people can go to be out of the weather-

Many choose not to so they can continue to do drugs/alcohol-

Plus #1. We have several shelters in San Antonio that even offer medical care and job training along with job placement. Rules are enforced ! The shelter is never full due to that fact. They enforce rules. thumb
Posted By: Fish Chaser

Re: Forest & 75 - 09/07/20 01:19 PM

The churches are supposed to be the ones taking care of the homeless but they're too busy raising money for their glorious new cathedrals.
Posted By: Fish Chaser

Re: Forest & 75 - 09/07/20 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by TR176
Originally Posted by Chug-bug-bang1

Truth spoken

Easy to point out the Problem and second it. Now what is the solution?

Instead of building huge new cathedrals, the churches should be doing everything they can to take care of the flock. In 2008 during the great Recession, First Baptist of Dallas was spending $112M on remodeling a building. That's really showing the love of Christ to those in need. In the first century church the people were selling land and houses and putting it all into a fund so that no one was lacking in their needs. The churches of today don't give a damn about anyone other than themselves and their glorious new buildings.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Forest & 75 - 09/07/20 02:51 PM

Did you ever go the the bar on Forest that had am lingerie shows. It was sometime later but working at night I only went there for pool and football plus BYOColaches.

" The Den" ?
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Forest & 75 - 09/07/20 04:15 PM

Is that the one where they walk around in Lingerie and you buy raffle tickets from them and they have drawings? If so they had those all over the DFW area back in the days, it was just undercover prostitution
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum