Texas Fishing Forum

Retirement

Posted By: Douglas J

Retirement - 07/31/20 02:54 AM

Man retirement at 51 is weird. Only thing that sucks is you never get a day off grin
Posted By: Pilothawk

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 02:57 AM

No vacation...no holidays.

The struggle is real.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 02:59 AM

Must be nice thumb. I'll probably have to work til I die
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 03:39 AM

I suggest you get a job, guiding, gun store, something entertaining.
Posted By: Emit R Detsaw

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 05:04 AM

I left full time work at 51, then worked part time at Academy until I was 53 to stock up on fishing supplies and so forth using the employee discount. Then retired full time. Life is hard. LOL
Posted By: Flyfisherman

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 05:14 AM

I’m gonna retire the day I graduate law school
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 05:15 AM

Hope you enjoy it as you have earned it.
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 06:36 AM

I have to work or I will go crazy, but I like my job so there's that I figure
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
Man retirement at 51 is weird. Only thing that sucks is you never get a day off grin

You will get a side gig after a while
Posted By: DanDaBald

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by RedRanger

^ ^ ^ ^ T H I S ^ ^ ^ ^
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 09:43 AM

welcome To the Club! coolio
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 10:06 AM

Retirement would be nice if my wife would get a job.
Posted By: Patriot Guard Rider

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by DanDaBald
Originally Posted by RedRanger

^ ^ ^ ^ T H I S ^ ^ ^ ^

YEP!

Doing nothing is hard work cause you can't stop to rest.
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 11:17 AM

My retirement date is at the end of December this year after 45 years working full time just before turning 65. I would have gone crazy if I retired around 50 and would have had to get at least a part time job. As it stands now we have several projects at home I will need to be there to oversee. By the time those are all done should be time for some early spring fishing.

Even at my age if I get too bored I will get a part time job someplace but for now I don't see that happening.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 11:22 AM

Have you thought about a career as security guard at Chandler’s Landing, watching out for companies that like to play bumper boats with us bass fisher people? Sounds like they should be hiring....
Posted By: AmpedUp

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 11:37 AM

thumb Congratulations!! I am looking forward to the day that I can say I am retired!! I got a few years to go!! bang
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 11:42 AM

I tried retiring at 48. After a few months I was bored out of my flippin mind. Could do anything I wanted by myself because everyone I knew was at work. I made it about 9 months and jumped back into the labor force. Now I'm pushing 50-60 hours a week and seriously considering giving it a second go around.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Flyfisherman

Shhhhh, you might upset people lol
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 12:17 PM

I’m looking at the end of the year, but only because I may not have a choice. I would like to stay where I’m at until 62, which is 3 more years

Congratulations
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 12:31 PM

Braggarts
Posted By: Trebor Neil

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
Originally Posted by Flyfisherman

Shhhhh, you might upset people lol

You just might change that to passing the Bar, just saying.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 12:38 PM

Congrats Doug!
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 12:45 PM

My plan was to work 2 more years but Covid killed those plans. Now i just have to worry about health insurance gap for 1 year. Company paid me 3 months of Cobra that will actually cover 6 because my daughter is no longer eligible. From a financial standpoint i dont need to work. I will either work part time or do something in my field if it is within 10 miles. Maybe when i get ready to go part time Johnny will be looking for someone to sweep floors. I can walk there.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 12:48 PM

Congrats! I look forward to it! banana
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 12:49 PM

Best of luck to you in retirement. Long ways off for me, I hope.

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 01:08 PM

Thanks!

My actual official date is next week, but I’ve been off for the past 6 weeks. So I guess I’m retired. I didn’t really so much want to retire, it just made no sense to stay on any longer. Max pension date came and after that you still have to pay pension contributions. So basically you’re paying a 13.5% penalty to come to work with zero benefits for your money.

I agree I’ll probably end up with another job soon, at least it can be one to keep the mind and body occupied and not out of necessity.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 01:10 PM

Walmart Greater?

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by BCBassCat
Walmart Greater?

Valet at a strip club
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 02:25 PM

Retired in Feb. 2019. It was great until the attack by China. We could go to restaurants, fish, camp, shop, shake hands with some new people, etc. Now we are prisoners in America. It sucks now. The 4 walls are closing in.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 02:51 PM

Retired back in March and loved being lazy for three months and then started getting bored. Got a call from my former employer wanting me to come back to train some new guys. Start tomorrow and will make more a month than I did when I retired. Makes me think I was not getting paid my value when I was there. But I will take the money and go on another couple of trips with it.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 04:42 PM

Good luck on your upcoming retirement. I retired at 62 and miss lots of the people I worked with, but not the stress.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 06:20 PM

I've promised my company 4 1/2 more years. Might stay longer if my son wants to follow in my footsteps (daughter became a nurse, so that ones is out). I'm good either way.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 06:27 PM

Thanks!

My actual official date is next week, but I’ve been off for the past 6 weeks. So I guess I’m retired. I didn’t really so much want to retire, it just made no sense to stay on any longer. Max pension date came and after that you still have to pay pension contributions. So basically you’re paying a 13.5% penalty to come to work with zero benefits for your money.

I agree I’ll probably end up with another job soon, at least it can be one to keep the mind and body occupied and not out of necessity.

Your still young!

Find something you have a passion for, with me it's fishing. July & August I slack off because of the heat. But September I'll be back at it again.

I do work as a Catastrophe Adjuster from time to time (hurricanes, tornados, fires) 60 hour a week job and pick up some side money. Mostly just to remind me that being free when I'm done is such a deal.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer
I've promised my company 4 1/2 more years. Might stay longer if my son wants to follow in my footsteps (daughter became a nurse, so that ones is out). I'm good either way.

My brother works for my dad. Not that my dad wants to retire anytime soon, but he wants to hand the practice over to my brother for sure, so that is playing into it for sure.

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 07:40 PM

Retired April 2020 ,still weird after 50 years of working.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 08:56 PM

John175 retired today
Posted By: Keystone

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 09:31 PM

Retired at 62.5..only problem was health insurance , I lost my doctor of 20plus years due to the Obama plan😪,be 65 next bday,Medicare next and see how that works.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 10:12 PM

If any of you retirees are bored or need something to do, my wife has a honey do list. I keep telling her that I'm retired and I've got way too many lures to paint and test drive.
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 10:13 PM

I retired in May 2018 at the age of 54. Coached part time the next football season. Didn’t do anything last year and was bored to death. Took another part time coaching job last week. Hopefully we get to play a few games this season and will coach track in the spring.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 10:31 PM

Retired,....no alarm clocks,.....every day is Saturday. Fish 3-4 times a week. Watch Law and Order.

loco_2
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Topwater2
If any of you retirees are bored or need something to do, my wife has a honey do list. I keep telling her that I'm retired and I've got way too many lures to paint and test drive.

Same reason I am going back tomorrow. Need some rest.
Posted By: glenls

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 10:40 PM

Braggarts

Yep,,,, One Upper Thread! Must have had a taxpayer funded job. banana
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Retirement - 07/31/20 10:48 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Retirement - 08/01/20 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by glenls
Braggarts

Jelly!
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Retirement - 08/01/20 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Oldrabbit
Good luck on your upcoming retirement. I retired at 62 and miss lots of the people I worked with, but not the stress.

Or like an ex boss told me when i told her i left the company. It will be good to get away from the politics. I have dealt with everywhere i have been. Worse one was a guy i worked for that was trying to take down the president. I did a big analysis because the president had a buddy at Goodyear. When i presented the results to my boss and the COO they left the report on my desk. 2 weeks later when the president was asking they got on my case for not presenting to him. Neither one wanted to do it and i was stuck in the middle. It was not until my boss left and i reported to the COO that i learned of his plot to take down the president. My boss who was also a very good friend told me after he left that the COO had a plan. Step one was to buy a high end moulding and door company in Gary In.. He chunked the financials on my desk one day and asked me an hour later what i thought. When i told him i wanted to go up there and see the operation and do an inventory he asked what for. This was a dude that worked for a major supplier to GM. He knew better. Just part of his plan. Got kind of long winded here but the memories of politics at work in corporate came flooding back. In the end the COOs plan did not matter. Sale of the company took them both out.
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: Retirement - 08/01/20 01:07 AM

Not having a job is great, but not having a paycheck kinda sux.

Re: Retirement - 08/01/20 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by glenls
Braggarts

I am on that extra $600 a week unemployment plan, please keep going to work and paying your FIT. thanks!

Re: Retirement - 08/01/20 10:59 PM

Lol.......
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Retirement - 08/02/20 01:17 AM

I will never retire, I do whatever I want whenever I decide to do it, I just cannot imagine not having anything to do but go golfing or fishing, I just have to have something going on. I am very blessed to be self employed and have my son's working in the business with me, they pretty much take care of day to day operations, I just kind of hang around and act like i am working.
Posted By: me and the boys

Re: Retirement - 08/02/20 02:37 AM

I retired from the fire dept at 51 in may, plan on taking up a second career , but wow what a weird feeling. My family is still looking for the every three dad free day.

Re: Retirement - 08/02/20 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by me and the boys
I retired from the fire dept at 51 in may, plan on taking up a second career , but wow what a weird feeling. My family is still looking for the every three dad free day.

Same here, with all the corona bs I’ll probably hold off for a before doing something else. You’re correct it’s weird not going to the station every 3rd day after 30+ years of it.
Posted By: JWRid

Re: Retirement - 08/02/20 04:26 PM

Worked in the corporate world for a number of years and decided to chuck it. Started my on small service business with the plan of closing up at 65 . I had a very good run and actually retired a year earlier than planned but kept a small side business going. Had I not done that I would have gone crazy. Now I work on my time and schedule.

Re: Retirement - 08/02/20 04:32 PM

Some Sunday, I will not be so worried about Monday.

Re: Retirement - 08/02/20 06:46 PM

Everday is a Holiday
Posted By: franchi

Re: Retirement - 08/02/20 07:37 PM

I am retiring in march no matter what. I have 5 years money to live on out of the market. The rest still in the market. The longer you put off retirement the less healthy years you got to enjoy it
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Retirement - 08/02/20 08:29 PM

managed a large mall and 12-15 shopping centers in a 3 state area for 27 years...retired at 65 and had a long bucket list of things i wanted to do...been blessed with good health and enough money(barely) to get most of the things on my bucket list crossed off...prior to retirement,I was real active fishing tournaments to the point I guess i burned myself out on tournaments plus I had some long river and car trips I wanted to do which would have interferred with fishing a tournament trail....I've been to argentina dove hunting and Mexico/Falcon fishing 15 times,numerous Ark.Miss and La. duck hunting trips,traveled down the Miss.,Ohio and Missouri rivers,driven the Trans-Canada and Alaskan highways,toured the western states and new England states plus eastern Canadian provinces...also wrote a book about my river travels (Old Goat in a Tin Boat) plus several hunting,sailing and river travel articles for ESPNOutdoors and various other publications...
I can say without a doubt it has been best 15 years of my life....

p.s. also managed to get banned twice by bbc....

Re: Retirement - 08/02/20 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Happykamper
I will never retire, I do whatever I want whenever I decide to do it, I just cannot imagine not having anything to do but go golfing or fishing, I just have to have something going on. I am very blessed to be self employed and have my son's working in the business with me, they pretty much take care of day to day operations, I just kind of hang around and act like i am working.

thumb soldier
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Retirement - 08/02/20 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by beartrap
p.s. also managed to get banned twice by bbc....

Needs to be at least 3x to be a bucket list item
Posted By: gdr_11

Re: Retirement - 08/02/20 10:24 PM

I retired 3 times and am now looking for something else to do.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Retirement - 08/02/20 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Emit R Detsaw
I left full time work at 51, then worked part time at Academy until I was 53 to stock up on fishing supplies and so forth using the employee discount. Then retired full time. Life is hard. LOL

Fixing to retire academy that’s a good idea

Re: Retirement - 08/03/20 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by franchi
I am retiring in march no matter what. I have 5 years money to live on out of the market. The rest still in the market. The longer you put off retirement the less healthy years you got to enjoy it

Quality of life is something important that is rarely mentioned in these retirement discussions. You need to retire and do something you enjoy before your too old to do anything.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Retirement - 08/03/20 01:37 PM

I really expect to retire around 70, as long as my health holds up, 10 more years. My wife will retire in 2.5 years. Moving to AR at that point where life is quite slow. I will continue to work, which sometimes my wife doesn't call it that. She says you gotta have a job to retire. Lil' Jelly! I love my job and as long as my employer keeps me on, I will work smarter not harder and make it look like I'm retired while finishing my career in AR.
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Retirement - 08/03/20 01:56 PM

That's awesome. If you walk away from the job with your head still on straight and cancer free , i feel you're blessed. No more getting up during the night sounds awesome. I start my 16th year next month and im think 25 is my max . Good job!

Re: Retirement - 08/03/20 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit 200 XP
Everday is a Holiday
Posted By: DCmac

Re: Retirement - 08/04/20 03:29 PM

I am SO jealous! The way things are going I'm seriously wondering if my youthful prediction will come true -- that I don't ever see myself retired, will have to work until I'm dead. The wife's surrogate father retired very-well-to-do in his early 50s. After WWII started up a shop making a niche product, put his profits back into the business and sold out for what had to be millions. Spent his next 40 years between his winter home in Phoenix and the summer home near the Maine coast.
Posted By: Fishn_man

Re: Retirement - 08/04/20 05:02 PM

Not sure how much $$ people are retiring with, but I sure don't feel like I could retire at 55. I know some are very successful early in life and I sure wish I was one of those. I keep looking at the numbers and am hoping for 60, but that's only if I think I can live the way I want to retired. Insurance is a real #$@!...

Re: Retirement - 08/04/20 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fishn_man
Not sure how much $$ people are retiring with, but I sure don't feel like I could retire at 55. I know some are very successful early in life and I sure wish I was one of those. I keep looking at the numbers and am hoping for 60, but that's only if I think I can live the way I want to retired. Insurance is a real #$@!...

I’ve had the same question about the younger retirees, I’ve been in decent pension and 401k plans for 40 years, no way I could have gone in my mid or early 50s. However, at 59 I’m beginning to strongly consider it.
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: Retirement - 08/04/20 05:35 PM

Well, somebodies got to say it...

Pictures of wife???

I hear they're very grateful.

bolt
Posted By: Fishn_man

Re: Retirement - 08/04/20 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by TexDawg
Originally Posted by Fishn_man

I’ve had the same question about the younger retirees, I’ve been in decent pension and 401k plans for 40 years, no way I could have gone in my mid or early 50s. However, at 59 I’m beginning to strongly consider it.

I'm in the same boat TexDawg, decent pension and 401k plans since I was young. I paid cash for both my daughters college and that $$ sure would have helped an early retirement, but they don't have student loans and are both doing good in life. So I wouldn't give that up for anything. My goal has always been to draw in retirement the same salary that I draw working full time. It is possible and I'm gaining on it, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm just crazy. My financial guy say's if I retire at 60, I won't touch a large portion of what I have invested until I'm in my 80's, heck if I live that long. But after watching my parents think they were set to only see their investments get crushed in 2008, now I'm worried and not sure when to pull the trigger.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Retirement - 08/04/20 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dave-0

Well, somebodies got to say it...

Pictures of wife???

I hear they're very grateful.

bolt

I married for money!! roflmao
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Retirement - 08/04/20 08:01 PM

The issue is everyone our age is working during the day, I dont fish weekends etc, why would ya when you can fish weekdays.

After you get the to do list done the days will all blend together. Ive been off the time clock since 2007 and Im only 48 right now.

Re: Retirement - 08/05/20 12:24 AM

after today I am about ready to quit.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum