Texas Fishing Forum

Marine denied citizenship

Posted By: Allison1

Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 05:02 AM

https://www.wesh.com/article/central-florida-military-veteran-denied-us-citizenship-again/33397860

Person, born in New Zealand and raised in Australia then comes to the US as an exchange student. In 1991 he joins the Marines, told by joining and getting an honorable discharge he is guaranteed that he will be a citizen. He did not withhold anything from the recruiter but he was actually ineligible to be a Marine.
He serves for 4 years, goes on with his life and because Florida goes to the Real ID he finds out last year he is not a citizen. He has a wife and kids, DL, worked and paid taxes and has voted thinking he was a citizen.

In his first court appearance they said he could not become a citizen having claimed to be a citizen and voted, they said he was of poor moral character.
They withdrew that claim on his second court appearance but he's still in limbo.

I hope they get their act together and make an exception for him.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 05:16 AM

This is what happens when liberal judges are in power. We have tried to show you and even sent you links but you still do not get it... And you even served if I am not mistaken.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 09:52 AM

He can get a greencard thru marriage and not need US Citizenhsip in USA and function as normal. Only thing he would be limited to doing is: Working in a Federal Job that required US Citizenship and Vote.

No biggie
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 10:56 AM

Ignorantia juris non excusat or ignorantia legis neminem excusat.
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 11:55 AM

It's not automatic, takes about 10 seconds to find the process

https://www.uscis.gov/military/naturalization-through-military-service
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 11:58 AM

I dont know about new Zealand people, I think we should keep them out, a wall or something.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 12:11 PM

I guess he should have crossed over from Mexico.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 12:13 PM

why should we care about his issues?
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
I dont know about new Zealand people, I think we should keep them out, a wall or something.

We already have pretty large moat-
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 12:17 PM

Enlisting in the military does not and has never given you automatic citizenship. Person in question is either dumber then dirt or lying through his teeth. Playing the sympathy card cause hes a vet, what a joke. News flash, just because someones a vet doesn't automatically exclude them from being a sh!tbag.

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by steveiam
Originally Posted by WAWI

We already have pretty large moat-

You can never be too safe.....
Posted By: Gourdbuster

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Enlisting in the military does not and has never given you automatic citizenship. Person in question is either dumber then dirt or lying through his teeth. Playing the sympathy card cause hes a vet, what a joke. News flash, just because someones a vet doesn't automatically exclude them from being a sh!tbag.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gourdbuster
Originally Posted by tmd11111

I don't want anyone to misconstrue my statement as a bash to the military. I served 20 years in the US Army and am just speaking from first hand experience.
Posted By: TR176

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 01:16 PM

So he thinks he is a citizen and acts like a citizen, whatever that is, so he votes. If you vote and are a non citizen that is a felony crime and non citizens need to learn voting illegally means you will never become a citizen. The Marine part, and being stupid don’t give him a pass.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 01:43 PM

It seems to me the Marine assumed a lot, but did very little follow up. Willful ignorance is not a valid excuse.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 01:45 PM

BOYCOTT KIWIS!
Posted By: COFF

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by HasBen
It seems to me the Marine assumed a lot, but did very little follow up. Willful ignorance is not a valid excuse.

Yep. I'll add thank you for your service, but not much beyond that.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 02:07 PM

All he has to do is walk into court and say he wants to do his part to remove Trump from office.

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
BOYCOTT KIWIS!

Yep
Posted By: 2014NITROZ-7

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 02:15 PM

Must have voted Republican,if he would have voted dumbocrat they would give him free health care and welfare check and declared him a citizen faster than a fast cat can lick his own a--.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 02:51 PM

What should really stand out about this whole thing is, HOW DID HE GET REGISTERED TO VOTE! It looks like anyone can sign up and vote without being a citizen of the United States. I wonder how many thousands or millions have voted in our elections without having citizenship.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 02:52 PM

I don't know anything about this case, but it does seem to make sense that serving in the military should be one path to citizenship.
Posted By: a777pilot

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 02:57 PM

"...but he was actually ineligible to be a Marine."

As a Marine who served with at least two officers that were not US citizens, one British, the other Polish, I question that statement. Also, at one time I worked with a Canadian citizen that was drafted into the US Army. Yes, I checked, that was legal.
Posted By: diggerwolf

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by a777pilot
"...but he was actually ineligible to be a Marine."

As a Marine who served with at least two officers that were not US citizens, one British, the other Polish, I question that statement. Also, at one time I worked with a Canadian citizen that was drafted into the US Army. Yes, I checked, that was legal.

That was my first thought also. However, from the article:

He was never eligible to be a Marine to begin with. The Marines, as do all our branches, require permanent residency, the green card, or citizenship. He was neither.
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 03:31 PM

I served with a number of Panamanians in the Army whose sole purpose for enlisting was to become a US citizen

There might’ve been a stipulation with US territories that allowed that
Posted By: Wylie Jeff

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 05:47 PM

Same with the Philippines.
Posted By: H.Town_paddler

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 05:58 PM

I served with a guy from Mexico that was sworn in as a US citizen while we were in Korea. The ceremony was at the US base in Seoul and I believe at the time it was the first time anyone was sworn in as a citizen outside of the US. It was pretty cool to be there.

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Scagnetti
I served with a number of Panamanians in the Army whose sole purpose for enlisting was to become a US citizen

we had several Panamanians in the air force as well.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
I don't know anything about this case, but it does seem to make sense that serving in the military should be one path to citizenship.

Me too, JP.

I think the sentiment in here today is really negative.

If you went to New Zealand and wanted to become a citizen..........you wouldn't have a clue. Marine Recuiter tells you some BS to get you to enlist and boom your there.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 06:18 PM

I can't believe the recruiter lied.
Posted By: DanDaBald

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 06:22 PM

As I remember, there were several Puerto Ricans in my basic training (Ft. Jackson) who were there for the citizenship. Good soldiers too.

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by DanDaBald

As I remember, there were several Puerto Ricans in my basic training (Ft. Jackson) who were there for the citizenship. Good soldiers too.

I also did basic training there and that’s where I met the Panamanians

There were several Panamanian SSGs in the company who were big into boxing

They rounded up the Panamanian recruits and pulled out some guys who were boxers. I think they we’re put in a different training regime because I never saw them again

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW

we had several Panamanians in the air force as well.

The military must’ve had a program whereas they accepted recruits from US territories

Re: Marine denied citizenship - 07/23/20 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27
I can't believe the recruiter lied.

roflmao roflmao

we ALL got lied to. cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum