Texas Fishing Forum

Japanese Automakers triple pay for Mexican workers

Posted By: Spiderman

Japanese Automakers triple pay for Mexican workers - 07/06/20 03:31 AM

Interesting read:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Au...riple-Mexican-pay-rather-than-move-to-US

Posted By: Davedave

Re: Japanese Automakers triple pay for Mexican workers - 07/06/20 12:28 PM

Good article. It will be interesting to watch.
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: Japanese Automakers triple pay for Mexican workers - 07/06/20 12:37 PM

Because the pandemic has hurt earnings, the cost of the moving production will likely be too burdensome over the foreseeable future.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Japanese Automakers triple pay for Mexican workers - 07/06/20 01:18 PM

This is just the first step down the path. Change like this doesn't happen overnight. The USMCA starts making it more difficult and more expensive to produce products outside the US. At first, the car makers will attempt to pass those costs along to the consumer and keep their margins. But over time, consumers will always go back to the lowest pricing.

It will take some time, but this agreement will pull manufacturing back into the US. In the meantime there will be plenty more biased articles like this one claiming how much the USMCA harms auto makers, and how the extra costs are just hurting the tax payer.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Japanese Automakers triple pay for Mexican workers - 07/06/20 01:22 PM

I'm still amazed that these workers were only making $5 - $6/hr. Heck, if it's $16 an hour, maybe they'll be able to help us with the illegal immigration problem...
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Japanese Automakers triple pay for Mexican workers - 07/06/20 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by COFF
This is just the first step down the path. Change like this doesn't happen overnight. The USMCA starts making it more difficult and more expensive to produce products outside the US. At first, the car makers will attempt to pass those costs along to the consumer and keep their margins. But over time, consumers will always go back to the lowest pricing.

It will take some time, but this agreement will pull manufacturing back into the US. In the meantime there will be plenty more biased articles like this one claiming how much the USMCA harms auto makers, and how the extra costs are just hurting the tax payer.

Exactly. I approve of this message.
Posted By: wyliepirate

Re: Japanese Automakers triple pay for Mexican workers - 07/06/20 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by LoneStarSon
I'm still amazed that these workers were only making $5 - $6/hr. Heck, if it's $16 an hour, maybe they'll be able to help us with the illegal immigration problem...

haha

Re: Japanese Automakers triple pay for Mexican workers - 07/06/20 04:35 PM

In China people live relatively comfortable lives on $300.00 a month. It's all in what your dollar buys in your country. Some US retirees are moving to Vietnam and Thailand because of the buying power of their dollar there.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Japanese Automakers triple pay for Mexican workers - 07/06/20 06:47 PM

The auto manufacturers will increase the Mexican hourly wages in gross pay and then take some new fee out so the net pay will stay about the same.

Re: Japanese Automakers triple pay for Mexican workers - 07/06/20 09:55 PM

I googled the salaries for the Toyota plant in San Antonio, here are the results:

As of Jun 29, 2020, the average annual pay for the Toyota Plant jobs category in San Antonio, TX is $33,802 a year.

While ZipRecruiter is seeing annual salaries as high as $87,486 and as low as $18,038, the majority of salaries within the Toyota Plant jobs category currently range between $20,292 (25th percentile) to $36,527 (75th percentile) in San Antonio, TX. The average pay range for a Toyota Plant job varies modestly (up to $16,235), which suggests there may be fewer opportunities for advancement based on skill level, but increased pay based on location and years of experience is still possible.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Japanese Automakers triple pay for Mexican workers - 07/06/20 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderman
I googled the salaries for the Toyota plant in San Antonio, here are the results:

As of Jun 29, 2020, the average annual pay for the Toyota Plant jobs category in San Antonio, TX is $33,802 a year.

While ZipRecruiter is seeing annual salaries as high as $87,486 and as low as $18,038, the majority of salaries within the Toyota Plant jobs category currently range between $20,292 (25th percentile) to $36,527 (75th percentile) in San Antonio, TX. The average pay range for a Toyota Plant job varies modestly (up to $16,235), which suggests there may be fewer opportunities for advancement based on skill level, but increased pay based on location and years of experience is still possible.

So they're going to be paying the Mexican employees the same as their Texan counterparts...
Posted By: Gusick

Re: Japanese Automakers triple pay for Mexican workers - 07/06/20 11:26 PM

In this day and age, factory workers getting a pay raise is always a good thing. It doesn't matter what country it is in.
Posted By: TR176

Re: Japanese Automakers triple pay for Mexican workers - 07/07/20 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderman

In China people live relatively comfortable lives on $300.00 a month. It's all in what your dollar buys in your country. Some US retirees are moving to Vietnam and Thailand because of the buying power of their dollar there.

How many US retirees have moved to Vietnam is some like 5 or 50000? So all we have to to do is become a communist dictatorship to be happy on meager earnings. Cuba,with the avg income being $35 month should really be paradise on a retirees income.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Japanese Automakers triple pay for Mexican workers - 07/07/20 12:45 AM

I’m amazed they WERE making $5 an hour. I’d have thought less.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Japanese Automakers triple pay for Mexican workers - 07/07/20 12:48 AM

I don’t know about moving there, or living there, but CostaRica is HELLACHEAP for first class dental work!
Posted By: TR176

Re: Japanese Automakers triple pay for Mexican workers - 07/07/20 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
I don’t know about moving there, or living there, but CostaRica is HELLACHEAP for first class dental work!

Plastic surgery too, but alas no liability should they kill you.
Posted By: Bassman_78

Re: Japanese Automakers triple pay for Mexican workers - 07/07/20 02:37 AM

Y'all read the actual bill. There's things that appear to be good, things that appear to be beneficial to the US, and lots of rights for illegal workers most Trump supporters would not be a fan of
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum