Texas Fishing Forum

Need advice

Posted By: lconn4

Need advice - 06/28/20 09:09 PM

[Linked Image]

Does this stuff work or do I need to suit up?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: One fish Bill

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 09:12 PM

To quote Forged in Fire “ It will keel”
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 09:17 PM

I buy it by the 6 pack at home depot
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 09:18 PM

Just spray.
Posted By: gdr_11

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 09:29 PM

Sell the house!

Seriously, I have not found the Spectracude Spray to have the knockdown power of either Raid or Eliminator Wasp and Hornet Spray. I go through 15-20 cans a year and now I use Eliminator almost exclusively.
Posted By: Beak47

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 09:31 PM

and then run! lol

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by gdr_11
Sell the house!

Seriously, I have not found the Spectracude Spray to have the knockdown power of either Raid or Eliminator Wasp and Hornet Spray. I go through 15-20 cans a year and now I use Eliminator almost exclusively.

Now that was the kind of review I was looking for... I will suit up. thumb
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 09:37 PM

You heathen, the snake and bug lovers on here are going to be furious. You're a murderer and should relocate them.
Posted By: FishinDonkey

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 09:37 PM

I use that stuff....can usually get it pretty cheap at lowes around now for july 4th sale, got cans for 50 cent last year....well worth .50.... it'll kill them- not sure if itll knock down----- kill them and then use a stick,,,,
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 09:38 PM

It works but your gunna need almost the whole can and really good aim.onve you get halfway through it starts cutting out then its dicey
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 09:39 PM

I've had good results with Raid. I like the prior liquid version better than the foam. You have to learn the proper "hold-over" for the trajectory of the stream. Getting it on target the instant you spray gets them before they have a chance to drop off the nest.
Posted By: 410MAN

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 09:40 PM

Are they black waspses, be careful
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 09:41 PM

Works for me. thumb
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 09:47 PM

I like Bengal Wasp & Hornet spray. Will reach 20' no problem.

And when it touches them they fall just like with gasoline.
Posted By: Gusick

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 09:49 PM

It kills wasp deader than fried chicken, but be careful. You want to be 10-15 feet away from the nest because it splashed back at you. Hornets will start coming out of the nest as soon as the foam flies, don't let them get away alive. Keep the button mashed down until the nest is soaked. Don't use it like a gun and a bullet, use it like a fire hose.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 09:50 PM

Make sure it smells like lighter fluid. They have some new enviro friendly foam spray now that don’t always kill them.
Posted By: Chuck72

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 09:52 PM

Dawn and Water in a big cup is all I use.. cheap and they fall right to the ground.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 09:53 PM

Good stuff and reasonably priced. Just be prepared to stand your ground and soak them good. It will get them pretty quick. I have cans all over the yard by the pool where I can get to it fast.
Posted By: kennerdude

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by lconn4
[Linked Image]

Does this stuff work or do I need to suit up?

[Linked Image]

I use it. Works well for me.

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 10:04 PM

Deed is done, gdr_11 review was on point. Glad I dressed for the occasion with netted headgear, thick jacket, and heavy gloves. Made a couple of practice blasts in yard to see what kind of pattern I would be putting out there. Looked pretty good with plenty of pressure from less than 10 feet. I hit them with a steady stream and it took forever for them to start falling to the ground. A couple fly away unfazed that may have been on the underside of hive. I've got half of the can out in just a matter of seconds. The ones that finally fall to ground are now marching towards me as I'm blasting away. It was a little nerve wracking. The two that get away come back pizzed and are buzzing around as I'm trying to knock them out of the sky. One down, one to go and running out of ammo fast. Finally get it to fall out of the air as I run out and have to stomp it to make sure it doesn't take flight. Two to three minutes after all is done, some of them are still moving around on porch... afraid to wash them off porch in fear they'll come back to life. Wait around a few more minutes, wash them off, all is good.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 10:04 PM

The best thing is a shotgun with an improved cylinder, and some.#9 shot. It takes a little practice to get the distance down without damaging your roof though.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 10:06 PM

Wait until dark then spray away.
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck72
Dawn and Water in a big cup is all I use.. cheap and they fall right to the ground.

Works every time
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by gdr_11
Sell the house!

Same with me. Spectracude just does not have the knockdown power of other spray. The best stuff I have found is Invader insecticide made by FMC corporation. Got it at a professional exterminator that sells to the public. Knocks them out on contact.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 10:20 PM

The larva is the best bream bait you can find. fish
as kids on the farm at grandpa's we'd get about a half of a coffee can of tractor gas
and throw it on the nest,...the gas melts their wings, and the fumes chokes em out in
a couple seconds,...big red wasps sting the worst of all. walking
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 10:24 PM

Go to a electric wholesale supply and get the stuff pros use. Instant as in they just drop in their tracks.
Posted By: 2014NITROZ-7

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 10:39 PM

That stuff works great,as long as you have several cans. This is so you can drown them,as it is about the only way I have gotten it to work

Re: Need advice - 06/28/20 10:49 PM

Update... have eight of those f ers flying around trying to land back on nest. They must have been out of town when I did the deed. bang
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Need advice - 06/29/20 12:13 AM

Update... have eight of those f ers flying around trying to land back on nest. They must have been out of town when I did the deed. bang

That’s why I said wait until dark. hammer
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Need advice - 06/29/20 12:27 AM

I’d empty the can into that sucker. There’s probably a couple deep inside still kickin. And if you saturate the hive, the ones that were out of town might get enough exposure to eventually keel over.

Go ahead and make sure you have another couple of cans for a potential wasp relocation hive maneuver
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Need advice - 06/29/20 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by spacejunkie

That’s why I said wait until dark. hammer

I forgot to mention that KEY point to getting the most complete annihilation of the entire nest.
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Need advice - 06/29/20 01:57 AM

Sure was hoping the second picture would be of some protesters....

This is all I use. Get it at the feed store.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: Need advice - 06/29/20 03:10 AM

LConn, this is what we use at the apartments. Stops them dead in their tracks, most don't even make it off the nest. Doesn't take much either. It's like they are frozen in suspended animation. Available at Home Depot

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DI

Re: Need advice - 06/29/20 03:19 AM

Love killing those bastards. My daughter is allergic, we learned when she was 2 with an ER visit. I have a quarterly exterminator but still kill the solo flyers anytime I can. Worthless angry bugs.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Need advice - 06/29/20 11:43 AM

When I was in the radio bidness, I bought the pro stuff by the case from Graybar. I went in those radio shacks with two cans and hit em with both at the same time. We also had to watch for snakes inside the shacks. Then, after you fought your way through the snakes and wasps to get to your transmitter, you had to start over because the snakes and wasps loved those warm cabinets.
Posted By: Big Hopper

Re: Need advice - 06/29/20 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon Adamcik

Works every time

And a lot less flameable, and won't kill the plants or grass, or leave the house smelling like a chemical spill..
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Need advice - 06/29/20 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by uncle_bagster
The best thing is a shotgun with an improved cylinder, and some.#9 shot. It takes a little practice to get the distance down without damaging your roof though.
On really big nests, I'll open the crimp on the shell, dump out the shot, then refill with floor sweep or kitty litter. You can get up close and not worry about hurting anything other than the wasps.

Re: Need advice - 07/13/20 06:10 AM

UPDATE: The next day after first battle there were 10 or 12 back on nest as I didn't knock it down. Watched all this past week as more and more (yellow jackets) came back until yesterday there must have been over 50 back on it. I wouldn't buy that stuff I used initially ever again, although it was advertised all over as being a good cheap product. Like others mentioned you have to drown them with it and I might add, stomp them. Went back to Walmart and got another product that looked more deadly. Took advice and waited until late night so that they would all be home. Put on my battle gear, heavy winter jacket, headgear, welder type gloves and even a mask... didn't want to get stung on the lips or snoz.

[Linked Image]
This stuff worked much better than the other. Knocked them down quicker and they weren't marching towards me when they hit the ground. Only saw one fly away... I spared his life so he might tell any others that I don't play. Knocked the nest down and hopefully I'm done for the time being. I hate messing with those suckers.
Posted By: John Peebles

Re: Need advice - 07/13/20 06:28 AM

Works every time

Any dish soap and water in a pot is all you need. It covers the whole hive at one time and none fly away. They fall instantly and are dead within seconds, and you never have to go buy anything.
Or you can spend $50 on a case of something that does the same thing.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Need advice - 07/13/20 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by John Peebles

Works every time

Any dish soap and water in a pot is all you need. It covers the whole hive at one time and none fly away. They fall instantly and are dead within seconds, and you never have to go buy anything.
Or you can spend $50 on a case of something that does the same thing.

I have a 1 gal pump sprayer I use the soapy water in, only good up to about 5-6' overhead tho, the canned stuff comes out after that.

reminds me, need to spray under the trailers today for red wasps, they seem to love the sq tube.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Need advice - 07/13/20 12:23 PM

GOOD KILL! Spectracide works well and has the farthest jet spray, up to 27ft. I use a lot of it at the farm in AR. I but it at Home Depot by the 2-pack, usually a better deal that way. HD was out last week so I bought 6 cans of the cheapest brand. Paid $1.99ea. Hopefully it'll work as good as Spectracide.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum