Texas Fishing Forum

Ebay fiasco5

Posted By: Stump jumper

Ebay fiasco5 - 05/31/20 02:51 AM

I posted my Powertech prop on Ebay for $250 and next thing I know it sold for $127. I figured out what happened there and got it fixed. Buyer threatened me with bad reviews when I would not sell at that price. I never intended to do the bidding thing and no way was I selling at 25% of value on a like new prop. Before that I got an email saying that I had bought a 25p Tempest. I was like no way. I can't turn a 25p Tempest. I sold my 23 when I sold my Ranger. So I tried to cancel but too late. I emailed seller and he understood and issued refund. It was like butt buying on Ebay. I got the Ebay APP because I was selling the Powertech and it is easier to respond to messages through the APP. I never hit confirm to buy Tempest or even looked at it. I don't even remember being on Ebay at 5:30 this morning. I was getting ready to head to Tawok. Tawok was good and bad to me today. Good was I found out that something as simple as my radio cover was costing me 4 mph. I thought I had adjusted my box so it was not a problem but apparently not.
Posted By: Snakeyes711

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 05/31/20 03:26 AM

Lemme guess what happened on the prop you were selling,you forgot to enter a reserve price? Then the auction ended with the highest bid at $127 so you were forced to sell at that price? I'd be kinda mad too if I was the buyer and thought I just got a great deal.

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 05/31/20 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Snakeyes711
Lemme guess what happened on the prop you were selling,you forgot to enter a reserve price? Then the auction ended with the highest bid at $127 so you were forced to sell at that price? I'd be kinda mad too if I was the buyer and thought I just got a great deal.

Yep exactly. First time seller on Ebay. I was not aware of the the reserve price. I just told him I was out of stock. He can be mad if he wants it was and honest mistake. Not going to let something go at at 1/2 price.

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 05/31/20 04:45 AM

I believe you're allowed to give a rebuttal after someone leaves negative feedback. If he leaves a negative feedback just explain your mistake in your rebuttal and maybe future potential buyers wont hold it against you.
Posted By: BassFever

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 05/31/20 04:54 AM

Your fault, be a man and eat the loss and learn from your mistake.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 05/31/20 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper

Yep exactly. First time seller on Ebay. I was not aware of the the reserve price. I just told him I was out of stock. He can be mad if he wants it was and honest mistake. Not going to let something go at at 1/2 price.

This oversight is totally on you - learn to read the rules - they do not require a law degree to understand. They are very clear. I will admit I would be all over you with eBay if I had been the bidder. Based on the ineptness going and coming, it looks like you need to delete the app and stay away.
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 05/31/20 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

This oversight is totally on you - learn to read the rules - they do not require a law degree to understand. They are very clear. I will admit I would be all over you with eBay if I had been the bidder. Based on the ineptness going and coming, it looks like you need to delete the app and stay away.

Yep, I agree. I have been an E-Bay seller since the early 90's, and I made a few costly mistakes. But, man up and do the right thing. Don't come looking for sympathy for you screwing up.

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 05/31/20 12:17 PM

Dang,rough crowd.grin The OP said it was his first transaction on ebay,give the guy a break.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 05/31/20 12:38 PM

It was on honest mistake, until you lied and told the buyer you were out of stock. Sell him the prop at the price he bid and learn from your mistake.

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 05/31/20 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by JCG57

It was on honest mistake, until you lied and told the buyer you were out of stock. Sell him the prop at the price he bid and learn from your mistake.

Ebay gave me only 3 choices to cancel sale and that was the only one that even came close to making sense. Yes, this one is on me for not reading the rules closely. I believe as the seller I should have the option to reject a lowball bid. That is exactly what it was. Prop is like new in original box. Only used 5 times in open water. My fault for buying in first place. Don't listen to Powertech's prop recommendations is what I learned. On the Tempest I have no idea what happened there. I have no reason to even look at a 25p Tempest.
Posted By: barndoor

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 05/31/20 02:06 PM

Honest?? You lied and told him you were out of stock, but you failed to set the reserve price. Ebay should ban you from buying and selling items. You should also be banned from this forum too for unethical practices.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 05/31/20 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by JCG57

Exactly!! I'm tempted to find your ebay post and send that Buyer this copied post!! He'll really have a case to make then!

Sure it sucks but You messed up. Happens to everyone so don't LIE about it!!
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 05/31/20 02:29 PM

Sounds about like the mistake I made on eBay a few weeks ago that almost cost me. Was bidding on a rod and went to type in $199.50. Accidently left out the decimal and put $19950. Thankfully I won it at $197.
Posted By: TR176

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 05/31/20 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by barndoor

Honest?? You lied and told him you were out of stock, but you failed to set the reserve price. Ebay should ban you from buying and selling items. You should also be banned from this forum too for unethical practices.

The OT would be a lonely place if ethics became an issue.

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 05/31/20 02:36 PM

I know. The world we live in.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 05/31/20 02:39 PM

Tried to sell some high dollar jewelry on eBay once. All I got was hassled by a few crooks. I didn’t know how it worked and it almost ended up costing me $600.00
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 05/31/20 06:17 PM

Never had an issue on Ebay
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 05/31/20 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Trickster
Never had an issue on Ebay

+1
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 06/01/20 01:43 AM

Been on eBay since 1997. If you want the benefits you have to play by the rules. I have had unethical sellers cancel the auction before close (I’m sure because they decided the price wasn’t high enough) but never after the close.
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 06/01/20 02:16 AM

First time seller on Ebay. I was not aware of the the reserve price. I just told him I was out of stock. He can be mad if he wants it was and honest mistake. Not going to let something go at at 1/2 price.

Contact the Attorney General and demand a class action suit be brought against EBay for deceptive trade practices

The next time you sell something on Ebay, do this... Settings -> I’m Clueless -> Stupidity -> Enable Deceptive Seller option

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 06/01/20 02:20 AM

I did not lie to the potential buyer. We had several communications about price afterwards. I only chose the most appropriate choice that Ebay presented. My mistake was not understanding the bidding process as a first time seller. I listed the prop at $250 and that is a fair price. I would have been willing to go lower but not half. If Ebay wants to ban me fine. I have other choices. I do a lot of business with them so their loss not mine. I should not have stated that I told the buyer I was out of stock.

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 06/01/20 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Scagnetti
First time seller on Ebay. I was not aware of the the reserve price. I just told him I was out of stock. He can be mad if he wants it was and honest mistake. Not going to let something go at at 1/2 price.

Contact the Attorney General and demand a class action suit be brought against EBay for deceptive trade practices

The next time you sell something on Ebay, do this... Settings -> I’m Clueless -> Stupidity -> Enable Deceptive Seller option

no, next time I try to sell something on Ebay I will know what I am doing. Of course that won't happen. I learn from my experiences. Just keep in mind that this was my first time selling something on Ebay. It sounds like there are some experienced Ebay sellers on this forum.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 06/01/20 02:29 AM

Ebay is a total scam to use these days... in the old days it was the place to be now people buy your stuff and charge it back a few days later and ebay will do nothing about it. The worst thing that ever happened was ebay buying paypal.
Posted By: kennerdude

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 06/01/20 02:29 AM

Y’all need to stop beating this drum. He gets it. Good grief

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 06/01/20 03:42 AM

I did not lie to the potential buyer .

I just told him I was out of stock.

Was this the truth?

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 06/01/20 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by kennerdude
Y’all need to stop beating this drum. He gets it. Good grief

Apparently he don't. He is lying about lying.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 06/01/20 11:17 AM

What's your username on ebay?? Cus heck if I'm ever going to consider bidding on something you post!! I don't want to get LIED TOO...
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 06/01/20 12:07 PM

What can one learn from this? Don't post things like this in OT.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 06/01/20 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hancock
What can one learn from this? Don't post things like this in OT.

flehan
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 06/01/20 12:19 PM

Yeah...the listing and the bids are a legal contract. You can't just get out of them because you don't like the terms you signed up to.

The reason the only selection available was, "the item is out of stock", is because "I didn't get a high enough price" isn't a valid reason for cancellation of the contract according to ebay rules & regulations. I'd be real ticked if I was the buyer.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 06/01/20 12:37 PM

I did not lie to the potential buyer. We had several communications about price afterwards. I only chose the most appropriate choice that Ebay presented. My mistake was not understanding the bidding process as a first time seller. I listed the prop at $250 and that is a fair price. I would have been willing to go lower but not half. If Ebay wants to ban me fine. I have other choices. I do a lot of business with them so their loss not mine. I should not have stated that I told the buyer I was out of stock.

If there was not an option to get out of a sale, what does that tell you.

You chose to lie to Ebay and to the buyer. IMO only, you sell and buy within the rules or you don't.
I can only say what I would have done and that would have been to eat it. Its no different than buying something higher than you wanted to and then not paying for it.

I am surprised you say you've used them as much as you have and did not know what a reserve price was.
At least admit you broke their rules. I get that all the time. People will say whatever it takes to get the job done.

Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ebay fiasco5 - 06/01/20 12:51 PM

Man up and write it off as a learning experience.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum