Texas Fishing Forum

The Last 48

Posted By: lconn4

The Last 48 - 05/06/20 09:13 AM

Well I made the long drive to south FL. Was supposed to have been here two weeks ago but the corn-H virus delayed my scientifically laid out plans. Will update tonight when I return from hopefully making it back from Flamingo, Everglades National Park.

[Linked Image]
Welcome committee entering America’s Playground. Don’t tell them you spent a night in Louisiana, Alabama, or Mississippi. I don’t know what a yes answer would get you, but a Hell Naw will get you a friendly smile and waved on through. banana

[Linked Image]
Made it 16 hours and almost 900 miles before stopping and getting a couple of hours rest.

[Linked Image]
Through Miami and on last 20 miles south to Florida City.

[Linked Image]
Made arrangements to pick up my new to me, kayak, and shot the chit with my old fishing bud, then back to motel for needed sleep. [Linked Image]
This place is deserted, only 6 guests out of around 30 rooms. City is on lockdown, 10 pm curfew. If you don’t wear mask, you don’t get service at any store that’s open. These folks are serious. Worried about getting into park this morning. Not sure what to expect.. either first or second day it’s been reopened. [Linked Image]
Keeping it simple this trip. Out the door, 50 mile drive to Flamingo.

Later
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: The Last 48 - 05/06/20 10:45 AM

Wow, heckuva trip, good luck thumb
Posted By: CCTX

Re: The Last 48 - 05/06/20 10:50 AM

fish coolphotos
Posted By: Hook'em79

Re: The Last 48 - 05/06/20 10:51 AM

Let us know how it goes!
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: The Last 48 - 05/06/20 11:27 AM

Good luck!
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: The Last 48 - 05/06/20 11:28 AM

And we saw you jamming out to Shakira on your car radio...

Them hips don't lie bruh
Posted By: racing75

Re: The Last 48 - 05/06/20 12:07 PM

Hoping for a nice, safe trip
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: The Last 48 - 05/06/20 12:28 PM

Hope you have a great trip. Be safe.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: The Last 48 - 05/06/20 01:07 PM

Those Lake Fork Tackle swim baits are legit!

Hope you have a Good Trip!
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: The Last 48 - 05/06/20 01:36 PM

When you stop for gas, look in the bucket with the long stick in it. You can use them to clean your windshield.

Have a safe trip.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: The Last 48 - 05/06/20 01:42 PM

Have you tried the Camel crush yet? You can go half regular cig then crush the filter and smoke the rest as menthol. Not bad.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: The Last 48 - 05/06/20 01:49 PM

I Hope ya catch a big ‘Poon or Snook buddy! Looks like fun thumb

Re: The Last 48 - 05/07/20 03:10 AM

Long day. Had alarm set for 4:30 a.m. as it’s a 50 mile drive from where I’m staying. Wasn’t sure if park was opening at a certain time or if it was opening 24/7 as it usually is. Decided to wait for daylight as I didn’t want to be waiting . Got gas, food, and was on my way. [Linked Image]
Had a convoy behind me as I entered the park. I was doing speed limit..50 and was watching rear view to see which d head would make a pass. It was like NASCAR.. everyone on each other’s bumpers, the folks behind me pulling out wide to see how many cars were ahead of me. A guy three cars back pulling boat tries the three car pass on short straightaway in no passing zone. I make sure he doesn’t make it past me as I tromp it. Yes, I’m one of those guys.roflmao He passed me later but not until I was ready.

There were more than 20 boats already on the water when I arrived. I’m greeted by 1000 no see’ums. bang
Had a great day. Lots of small fish but so many things to see and fish bit all day. Caught small snook, reds, jacks, a juvenile Goliath grouper and hooked three tarpon, all small, and landed one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Much better pics on other camera but I didn’t bring laptop on this trip. Back at it tomorrow.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: The Last 48 - 05/07/20 03:30 AM

Good job lconn, I would take that snook any day.
Posted By: JackMason

Re: The Last 48 - 05/07/20 03:30 AM

Looks like a blast! Thanks for sharing
Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: The Last 48 - 05/07/20 03:33 AM

thumb very nicely done sir! Love the pictures!
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: The Last 48 - 05/07/20 03:34 AM

Dang man! Awesome
Posted By: JackMason

Re: The Last 48 - 05/08/20 06:15 PM

Any updates?
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: The Last 48 - 05/08/20 06:21 PM

Very cool
Posted By: T Bird

Re: The Last 48 - 05/08/20 06:24 PM

thumb clap
Posted By: RATZ

Re: The Last 48 - 05/08/20 08:36 PM

my leader is so awesome
Posted By: Mo

Re: The Last 48 - 05/09/20 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by rj74955

I don’t see a snook.

The grouper is so cool. I caught a baby that was about 30 lbs, amazing the size potential on those fish.

I would love to get on some small tarpon , I think I have caught more over 100 than less than 50. Never caught one under 30.

Have a great trip , be safe.

Mo
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: The Last 48 - 05/09/20 12:07 PM

That looks like the same Gerber pocket knife I have.
Posted By: AmpedUp

Re: The Last 48 - 05/09/20 12:11 PM

woot thumb popcorn
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: The Last 48 - 05/09/20 06:30 PM

How does the new kayak paddle? Is it as fast and light as you remembered it?

Re: The Last 48 - 05/10/20 01:11 AM

I’ve been staying busy. This trip has been awesome. Fished only a few hours the second day as I hit the wall and needed rest. Didn’t get out on the water until about 3:00 on second day here. Make the long drive to Flamingo, park my car and start to unload. Notice parking lot is almost empty as folks are normally off the water at 3:00 leaving the whole place for me. See one guy in parking lot, a kayaker. He is wearing a mask, a weird one. One that you don’t forget. One that I’ve seen before. He tells me he has just come back from two nights out at east cape, . I note a strange accent. I ask, “is that you Flex?” It was. I hadn’t seen him in probably 7 or 8 years. He was sales rep for one of the local paddling shops in Dania Beach, 15 minutes from where I lived in Hollywood, Fl. He still is in the business as a rep but for a different company. He is the most serious paddler I know... he is not a fisherman. We talked for half an hour catching up with common friends and conditions of the Everglades.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
If you ever see someone with a paddle like this, they know what they’re doing. roflmao
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: The Last 48 - 05/10/20 01:35 AM

Glad you're alive...what's the deal with that paddle? Looks heavy.

Re: The Last 48 - 05/10/20 02:34 AM

Anyways I caught grouper, sailcats, snook, and redfish. Was fishing a couple of miles in opposite direction from where I fished the first day. Was on wind protected side of island, it was end of high tide and I’m at my favorite spot for snook. I’d just gotten lure hung up in mangroves and as I paddled over to get it unstuck, I said to myself, those snook are way back up in the roots and Ive got to keep tossing lure as far back in as I can. Took the pic below and then on next cast I get hammered by a good one. It shoots straight out of the mangroves to open water pulling drag for thirty yards, just short of as far down as I can tighten on Calcutta 250. I’ve got 20 lb test and 50 lb leader. Fish turns on a dime and heads right back at me from 30 yards out. I’m reeling as fast as I can trying to catch up as I’m watching slack line and knowing what’s coming next. I thumb spool praying I can turn it. roflmao Not even close. That sucker plows on into mangroves like they weren’t even there, comes to surface and keeps going as it pops me. Nothing I could do. It wasn’t a monster but looked to be in the 30 to 32 inch range... the size where it gets exciting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Check out my line on reel handle where line snapped above. Had to strip off 20 yards of nicked and shredded main line. Catch redfish on the next cast, then a small snook. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I’ve been in Hollywood the last two nights visiting friends. Headed back home in the morning. Blue Angels did a salute to first responders the other day. I didn’t see it but a friend sent a picture someone had posted.

[Linked Image]

Re: The Last 48 - 05/10/20 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by PowerLizard
How does the new kayak paddle? Is it as fast and light as you remembered it?

It is better than I remembered. Might be because I didn’t have a padded back rest last time or seat pad. I didn’t have gps to see about speed but I did notice I get a lot more glide than my other kayaks and the rudder is very responsive. I’ll get it on scales to see about weight but think it’s lighter than 55 lbs. First day I was in it for 10hours.. no problem comfort wise.

Re: The Last 48 - 05/10/20 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dave-0
Glad you're alive...what's the deal with that paddle? Looks heavy.

It’s heavier than a carbon paddle but is so short it doesn’t weigh what you would think. What is weird is how and what it was designed for.. bad weather, the worst conditions in storms. If you notice the black tips on the paddle.. your top hand is on top of it and your bottom hand is down shaft. When you stroke on the other side you let the paddle slide through your hands until you catch the top of the paddle on the other side. That’s how the ancient Greenland kayakers did it. It’s also easier to recover from tipping over while remaining in sit inside kayak, with it, from what I’ve read.
Posted By: j.steve

Re: The Last 48 - 05/10/20 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by lconn4
I’ve been staying busy. This trip has been awesome. Fished only a few hours the second day as I hit the wall and needed rest. Didn’t get out on the water until about 3:00 on second day here. Make the long drive to Flamingo, park my car and start to unload. Notice parking lot is almost empty as folks are normally off the water at 3:00 leaving the whole place for me. See one guy in parking lot, a kayaker. He is wearing a mask, a weird one. One that you don’t forget. One that I’ve seen before. He tells me he has just come back from two nights out at east cape, . I note a strange accent. I ask, “is that you Flex?” It was. I hadn’t seen him in probably 7 or 8 years. He was sales rep for one of the local paddling shops in Dania Beach, 15 minutes from where I lived in Hollywood, Fl. He still is in the business as a rep but for a different company. He is the most serious paddler I know... he is not a fisherman. We talked for half an hour catching up with common friends and conditions of the Everglades.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
If you ever see someone with a paddle like this, they know what they’re doing. roflmao

First thought when I saw the mask...Buckethead. LOL

Re: The Last 48 - 05/10/20 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mo
Originally Posted by rj74955

I don’t see a snook.

The grouper is so cool. I caught a baby that was about 30 lbs, amazing the size potential on those fish.

I would love to get on some small tarpon , I think I have caught more over 100 than less than 50. Never caught one under 30.

Have a great trip , be safe.

Mo

Mo,the smaller tarpon are the only way to go! roflmao The big ones are too much work from a kayak. I took a lot of flak for fighting one I estimated at 150 lbs for over 3 hours that towed me 6 miles at night on bass gear. I want a 15 minute battle max these days. If you’re using a guide, tell him you want small ones.only or just fish the backcountry in the winter.

Re: The Last 48 - 05/10/20 04:49 AM

[Linked Image]
Goodbye Florida City

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Hello Hollywood

Re: The Last 48 - 05/10/20 04:59 AM

[Linked Image]
Camel butt
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: The Last 48 - 05/10/20 06:24 PM

Really cool trip. Have you replaced the stock drag washers on your Calcutta 250?

Re: The Last 48 - 05/11/20 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by PowerLizard
Really cool trip. Have you replaced the stock drag washers on your Calcutta 250?

I have on the 250 but not on 200. My thumb fingerprint has been replaced several times over the years. roflmao

Re: The Last 48 - 05/11/20 03:17 AM

Left Hollywood at 8:00 this morning and made 700 miles to Destin...600 more to go tomorrow. A few pics from paddling yesterday morning in Hollywood.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Not much happening... small cuda and lost a trout. Fishing here for snook was better after dark. Have no desire to fight mosquitoes these days.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: The Last 48 - 05/11/20 03:18 AM

Great post! Thanks for sharing. cheers

Re: The Last 48 - 05/11/20 01:01 PM

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum