Texas Fishing Forum

St Augustine sod

Posted By: Squirrely Dan

St Augustine sod - 04/23/20 08:39 PM

I put some sod down almost two weeks ago and it looks pretty bad. Not sure If I’m over watering or not watering enough? We did have a late frost one night so not sure if that hurt it also. Any advice?
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: St Augustine sod - 04/23/20 08:48 PM

Well... Do you have a picture? How much are you watering it? PM Derek (the mod) and he will take a soil sample and have it checked.
Posted By: soggybottom

Re: St Augustine sod - 04/23/20 09:03 PM

st augustine takes a ridiculous amount of water. Unless I lived on a lake with a pump to irrigate I would never use it. Owned a house that I just kept the center of the yard alive during the summer so I wouldnt have a $500 water bill.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: St Augustine sod - 04/23/20 09:13 PM

Soak it down in the late afternoon for a week and itll come back
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: St Augustine sod - 04/23/20 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by cocodrie
Well... Do you have a picture? How much are you watering it? PM Derek (the mod) and he will take a soil sample and have it checked.

Love me some soil samples.

Re: St Augustine sod - 04/23/20 09:35 PM

Never posted a pic on here so no. I’ve had people tell me I was over watering. But it’s been very windy and I don’t think I am. Does it need to stay pretty soaked? The top drys out but underneath is still very moist.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: St Augustine sod - 04/23/20 09:56 PM

Where do you live?

It makes a difference if south Texas or in the panhandle.

If the top is shriveling it needs more water. It's probably not used to chlorinated water either.

Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: St Augustine sod - 04/23/20 10:08 PM

Needs to be 80 or above for it to take off just keep the dirt moist
Posted By: COFF

Re: St Augustine sod - 04/23/20 11:40 PM

If you poke a finger into the soil and water pools around it, you are over watering.
Posted By: Don Collum

Re: St Augustine sod - 04/24/20 01:26 AM

Just now starting to have a good spell of sunny days and you will notice a change for the better.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: St Augustine sod - 04/24/20 01:50 AM

I just put down a little over 4 pallets about the same time you did. It usually takes at least 2 weeks for roots to start. Been water everyday, just need some extended warm days and it will start growing and turning green. This is day 1

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cast

Re: St Augustine sod - 04/24/20 03:56 AM

Mom sprigged our yard in Point Blank from our yard in Houston when we cleared it forty years ago. It was just one lot then but it’s grown to four lots now. It’s all lush Saint Augustine now. Over an acre.
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: St Augustine sod - 04/24/20 04:27 AM

Fertilize using an all-nitrogen food with half or more of that nitrogen in slow-release form. Apply at half the recommended rate.
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: St Augustine sod - 04/24/20 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Scagnetti
Fertilize using an all-nitrogen food with half or more of that nitrogen in slow-release form. Apply at half the recommended rate.

Would this be good for SA that’s already rooted and going as well?
Where can I get some fertilizer like this?

Re: St Augustine sod - 04/24/20 02:32 PM

The brown ones you have in the bottom of lick is what all of mine look like.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: St Augustine sod - 04/24/20 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Im RICK JAMES
The brown ones you have in the bottom of lick is what all of mine look like.

Those pieces came off the top of the pallet and the grass blades were really thin and dry. I have watered the hell out of them and they now have a few decent looking blades coming out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum