Texas Fishing Forum

I would like to point out

Posted By: WAWI

I would like to point out - 03/31/20 01:12 PM

That while my business is all but closed along with millions like it the golf course across the street is covered in old men riding cheek to cheek in golf carts. The same ones we are trying to protect ..... that is all.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 01:13 PM

That's rich! roflmao
Posted By: CCTX

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 01:18 PM

10 ft distances
wash hands thoroughly
sterilize surfaces
don't touch your face
Posted By: Trickster

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 01:20 PM

The golf course nearest to me is closed. I think the city of Allen owns it though.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 01:28 PM

Outdoor activities should be fairly safe if you are smart about it. The virus has a lipid coating. (Think of it like a cell wall made of fat). That's why hand washing with soap does such a great job of killing the virus. The soap destroys the lipid coating and the virus dies.
There's some good indications it doesn't do well in warm humid environments for the same reason. UV light is known to quickly kill the virus. (Even on cloudy days there is a fair amount of UV radiation). Not to mention there is almost always at least a little wind to provide fresh air. None of these conditions exist inside crowded restaurants/bars.

Everything I just mentioned combines to make outdoor activities fairly safe. People need to be able to get outside to maintain mental health. Fresh air, sunshine, being out in creation are extremely important. Be smart about it though. Don't be in the same golf cart/boat unless you are sheltering with that person. Maintain good social distance of at least 6 feet at all times. This should be pretty easy in a lot of outdoor environments.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 01:41 PM

Ok professor
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by senko9S
Ok professor

[Linked Image]
Posted By: John175☮

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 01:48 PM

Ok professor

I know...he went from a fish picture analyzer to a COVID-19 expert.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 01:51 PM

Same here. Unless you are playing with a immediate family member, it's one cart, one rider.
Posted By: flee fly

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 01:54 PM

The courses I play have in placed the following
• one person per cart
• carts are sanitized
• drinking water has been removed
• ball washers have been removed
• you have to leave flag stick in
• they have installed a cover so the ball doesn’t drop into hole all the way
Posted By: Davedave

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by flee fly
• one person per cart
• carts are sanitized

I haven’t played. But, I have also heard that rakes were removed from the bunkers.

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 01:59 PM

I had a glorious 48 hours where John put me on ignore and wasn't commenting on my posts. All good things come to an end I guess. A fella can hope it happens again and soon.

Just sharing what I've read folks. I read a fair amount. Virtually none of that reading is done on main stream media sites by the way. It almost all comes from articles written by actual scientists. As I've said in the past, I'm sure I don't always get it right. A lot of this information changes quickly as scientists learn more. A couple folks have mentioned they find my information sharing useful. I know a bunch don't find it useful. That's okay. It's a fishing forum after all.
Posted By: MBradford

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 02:03 PM

• one person per cart
• carts are sanitized

That's probably not a good idea.

They should be washing their balls after every hole.
Posted By: Fish Chaser

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
10 ft distances
wash hands thoroughly
sterilize surfaces
don't touch your face

And...... Don't touch your balls, er ball.
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jpurdue
The virus has a lipid coating. (Think of it like a cell wall made of fat). That's why hand washing with soap does such a great job of killing the virus. The soap destroys the lipid coating and the virus dies.

Oh man, I have been taking Atorvistatin to keep my lipids down. I should be drinking palmolive dish soap!!
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by MBradford

I wash mine. A lot.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 02:17 PM

I would like to know who the couple are that thinks it's useful. We need a poll.
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
10 ft distances
wash hands thoroughly
sterilize surfaces
don't touch your face

Don’t tell me what to do.
Posted By: flee fly

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 02:31 PM

Yes rakes have been removed
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Davedave
• one person per cart
• carts are sanitized

I haven’t played. But, I have also heard that rakes were removed from the bunkers.

All correct, I played Friday. Never touched anything but my balls.......clubs and cart steering wheel which I thoroughly wiped down with disinfectant towelette. Didn’t even go into clubhouse. And the wind was howling blowing that virus down the road
Posted By: on the fly

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 03:11 PM

We would probably have a cure already if all these scientists would quit writing articles and get back to work.

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 03:13 PM

"I'm sure I don't always get it right..."

There's yer sign...

Quit trying to be something you are not, you're part of the problem.
Posted By: CrankAddict

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 03:15 PM

My mom is a barber in Sun City, AZ. They only let old people live there. She hasn't stopped working yet. AZ, with all it's snowbirds, hasn't shut anything down.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 03:16 PM

I screamed at the golfers in Mineola Saturday....."Hey, 6' apart you old coots !!!"

I got 8 arthritic middle fingers thrown at me.... they got 2 back.

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 03:34 PM

"I'm sure I don't always get it right..."

There's yer sign...

Quit trying to be something you are not, you're part of the problem.

If you don't like my posts don't read them. Put me on ignore. It's pretty simple. It's a public forum designed specifically to share information.

I've not pretended to be anything other than I am. I am an Industrial Engineer, MBA, with a heavy focus on statistics. I am a director of operations for a large public company. As a result of my job I am very closely following the virus as I am coauthoring many new policies for my company. Anything I post should be viewed through this lens. I am absolutely not a medical doctor or an epidemiologist. If we need to have those qualifications to post on COVID-19 then we all need to pipe down. If I post anything that is factually false, please feel free to point it out and cite your source. I'm sorry if my factual comments don't fit your particular agenda.

Debate makes us all better. With all due respect sir, pissing on people for sharing factual information makes you part of the problem.
Posted By: retdbasser

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 03:37 PM

Outdoor activities should be fairly safe if you are smart about it. The virus has a lipid coating. (Think of it like a cell wall made of fat). That's why hand washing with soap does such a great job of killing the virus. The soap destroys the lipid coating and the virus dies.
There's some good indications it doesn't do well in warm humid environments for the same reason. UV light is known to quickly kill the virus. (Even on cloudy days there is a fair amount of UV radiation). Not to mention there is almost always at least a little wind to provide fresh air. None of these conditions exist inside crowded restaurants/bars.

Everything I just mentioned combines to make outdoor activities fairly safe. People need to be able to get outside to maintain mental health. Fresh air, sunshine, being out in creation are extremely important. Be smart about it though. Don't be in the same golf cart/boat unless you are sheltering with that person. Maintain good social distance of at least 6 feet at all times. This should be pretty easy in a lot of outdoor environments.

thumb
Posted By: retdbasser

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 03:42 PM

I had a glorious 48 hours where John put me on ignore and wasn't commenting on my posts. All good things come to an end I guess. A fella can hope it happens again and soon.

Just sharing what I've read folks. I read a fair amount. Virtually none of that reading is done on main stream media sites by the way. It almost all comes from articles written by actual scientists. As I've said in the past, I'm sure I don't always get it right. A lot of this information changes quickly as scientists learn more. A couple folks have mentioned they find my information sharing useful. I know a bunch don't find it useful. That's okay. It's a fishing forum after all.

Put me in that group that enjoys your well informed comments.

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by retdbasser

He was posting emails from China a few weeks ago. His "informed" is mostly wrong.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 03:52 PM

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by John175☮

He was posting emails from China a few weeks ago. His "informed" is mostly wrong.

The e-mails I posted were from a colleague. They were presented exactly as such. John, please point out exactly what in those e-mails you have such a problem with? The fact my colleague thinks China is lying about the death toll? The fact the Chinese government is tracking their population via their cell phone? You keep bringing the e-mail up like there was some kind of massive disinformation in there.
Posted By: Icepick

Same here.
I prefer reading your posts as opposed to the posts from people who try to make everything political.
You do an admirable job of staying above the fray even when the trolls try to pull you in.
thumb
Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 03:54 PM

Yup. Keep it coming.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kattelyn

Yup. Keep it coming.

thumb
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 03:57 PM

Put me down as a fan as well. I gave up on my fellow Alabamians. There is a reason this state ranks 52nd in education.
Posted By: donothin

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by rj74955
I would like to know who the couple are that thinks it's useful. We need a poll.

I, for one, think jpurdue's post have been excellent, science based and without all of the drama. I feel for John and Wawi as they apparently are taking a hit in their business, but they need to get real and stop the whining which helps nothing.

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 05:25 PM

Claiming I have an agenda is one. Basing your copied posts by saying you went to college and your job is such and such, another. Lots of us went to college and work. Trying to be something you are not by claiming your posts are factual, then saying I could be wrong is another. I can go on.

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 05:51 PM

Claiming I have an agenda is one. Basing your copied posts by saying you went to college and your job is such and such, another. Lots of us went to college and work. Trying to be something you are not by claiming your posts are factual, then saying I could be wrong is another. I can go on.

It's rare I use copied material. If I do I put it in quotes.

I presented my credentials so you know how I look at the world and to reinforce the fact I don't pretend to be something I'm not. I'm just an engineer, not a medical doctor. Take that for what it is.

I am sometimes wrong or make mistakes. If new data becomes available that invalidates my previously held beliefs I change my positions. I try to formulate my opinions based on the best available information. Not by what the talking heads say. Not by political affiliation. Not be upbringing. Just facts. I think that's virtuous. I posted some incorrect data on NYC a few days ago. Bigfishtx pointed it out and I acknowledged the mistake and moved on.

What I was arguing earlier in this thread is that the virus has a lipid envelope and that being outdoors is safe and healthy if appropriate precautions are taken. I'm not sure how that's a scientifically contentious position or why you decided to get all bent out of shape about it.

If Wawi owns restaurants that are currently shut down I'm sorry to hear that. If I ever get the chance I'll be sure to spend some money at one of his locations when all this finally passes.

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 05:53 PM

Also, thank you to the folks who chimed in saying you find some value in my posts. I appreciate this community, and I appreciate you all saying those kind things.

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 05:58 PM

Again, if social distancing is the reason my doors are basically locked why are people sitting side by side in golf carts

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by donothin

I, for one, think jpurdue's post have been excellent, science based and without all of the drama. I feel for John and Wawi as they apparently are taking a hit in their business, but they need to get real and stop the whining which helps nothing.

No whining here, it is what it is. I'll be just fine. Just seems kinda funny how they pick and choose

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
Again, if social distancing is the reason my doors are basically locked why are people sitting side by side in golf carts

I want you to stop. My reason for wanting you to stop is not to point out that I think you’re wrong. My concern is that more stuff will get closed, such as boat ramps. I will buy multiple burgers from you on the other side. Don’t get the ramps closed. (I wouldn’t mind mixing in a little golf now that you bring it up.)

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 06:05 PM

I want you to stop. My reason for wanting you to stop is not to point out that I think you’re wrong. My concern is that more stuff will get closed, such as boat ramps. I will buy multiple burgers from you on the other side. Don’t get the ramps closed. (I wouldn’t mind mixing in a little golf now that you bring it up.)

Lol I going fishing tomorrow

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 06:08 PM

I like Mr. Josh's posts.

I like John's posts.

I relate to wawi's positions... In a roundabout way he and I are in the same business. I work for a company that sells beer, burgers and Golf! And did so in a setting that really brought people together in fun ways. As a result of this situation 98.9% of our 26k+ associates are out of a job indefinitely. They have families who depended on them.

But lining up arse to Wang at Costco to hoard stuff is in fashion, as is meeting up with 30 friends to party and picnic at local parks...that's cool.

Jury is out on senko...

SMDH

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 06:25 PM

Maybe they are married and permitted to sit close?
I think you're allowed to get close to your spouse but I've been keeping 6ft away just to be safe. bolt

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 06:28 PM

I would like to add it's a bit racist to allow old white men to play golf and ride side by side in carts while at the same time they pulled all the basketball goals down in fort worth...
Posted By: Jeff Schiller

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Davis
Originally Posted by MBradford

I wash mine. A lot.

Define: wash

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 06:32 PM

I would like to add it's a bit racist to allow old white men to play golf and ride side by side in carts while at the same time they pulled all the basketball goals down in fort worth...

AND the curbs are not being taken down...white sk8 kids are STILL out there grinding trucks and busting kick flips...media is silent on this. SMDH

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 06:33 PM

The main point here is that if basketball went away forever, this would be a better world. I knew some good would come out of this virus deal.

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 06:40 PM

The main point here is that if basketball went away forever, this would be a better world. I knew some good would come out of this virus deal.

Along the same line if the Rangers can't play they can't lose.

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 06:40 PM

That's very WASP of you lol
Posted By: deucer02

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by UGLYSHCTICK
I screamed at the golfers in Mineola Saturday....."Hey, 6' apart you old coots !!!"

Bwaaaaaa! 8 to 2. You had it coming! roflmao Old farts one, snot nose, whipper snapper zippo!

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by deucer02
Originally Posted by UGLYSHCTICK

Bwaaaaaa! 8 to 2. You had it coming! roflmao Old farts one, snot nose, whipper snapper zippo!

Right... And people are out of work to protect those coots? To "flatten the curve" so they have medical attention when they get sick? Nice.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 10:12 PM

• one person per cart
• carts are sanitized

This is also what is happening in the courses around me

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by donothin

No whining here, it is what it is. I'll be just fine. Just seems kinda funny how they pick and choose

No hit on my business. Follow Purdue. I've just known him to be wrong with sincere conviction.
Posted By: H.Town_paddler

Re: I would like to point out - 03/31/20 10:52 PM

At the course in my hood you can ride together if you are playing with someone that lives in the same household.
Posted By: UTMallard

Re: I would like to point out - 04/01/20 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kattelyn

you

Yup. Keep it coming.

Agreed! I wish ole John would hang it up. Although, his posts are amusing. I can’t tell if he’s trolling or for real most of the time. Crazy to think who walks among us...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum