Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 01:16 AM

Do some research on Italy, WOW!!!!!!
Posted By: Davedave

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 01:32 AM

No
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 01:36 AM

No.

Just keep calm, follow recommendations, help others, and stop watching too much news or social media.

Faith hope and love are some good things he gave us.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 01:37 AM

No.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 01:38 AM

Reminds me of the original 10 Commandments movie when God put those plagues upon the people. For what it's worth, I pray every night for Him to stop this madness and the spread of this disease.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 01:44 AM

Procopius, historian and Prefect of Byzantium, writing about bubonic plague in 562 AD:

"Many houses were left empty and it came to pass that many, from want of relatives or servants, lay unburied for several days. At that time it was hard to find anyone at business in Byzantium. Many people who met in the streets were bearing a corpse. All business had ceased, all craftsman deserted their crafts."
Posted By: Gusick

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 02:13 AM

I think the next year will be rough, but it will settle down in time. There will be certain things that will change in society. Terrorism became the security priority after 9/11/2001. The 2008 recession gave rise to the "gig economy". This will probably be a similar event. Time will tell.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 02:24 AM

I'm spoiled. I walked up to the bread aisle and they actually had hamburger buns. I was beyond joyful, a lady asked me if I was crying.
Posted By: Magged Out

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 02:36 AM

NWO

Mark of the Beast

The End!
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
No.

Just keep calm, follow recommendations, help others, and stop watching too much news or social media.

I'be gotten my info from places that aren't public. I am not basing my question on social media hype. I have been a first responder for over 30 years.

I am as calm as can be. I think the general public (YOU) doesn't realize the gravity of this situation.

The models are unbelievable, I pray they are not correct!
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
No.

I'be gotten my info from places that aren't public. I am not basing my question on social media hype. I have been a first responder for over 30 years.

I am as calm as can be. I think the general public (YOU) doesn't realize the gravity of this situation.

The models from the cruise ships?
Posted By: Icepick

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 03:39 AM

Some will continue to live in denial right up until the moment they realize they can't attend a funeral for a friend or family member.
Posted By: lanman71

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by crankn101

The models from the cruise ships?

Japan’s, China’s, South Korea’s? Which countries are they basing these models on?

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 04:00 AM

An anti-malaria drug named chloroquine, or hydroxychloroquine, has shown fantastic results in combating the COVID-19 virus.

“A peer-reviewed study shows that 100% of patients, after 6 days of taking a Malaria drug were ‘virologically’ cured

“This is, reportedly, the 2nd 100% cure to a virus that has ever existed,” Charlie Kirk, a friend of the president, said on Twitter.

https://explainlife.com/100-of-patients-new-coronavirus-update-sends-shockwaves-20759/
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 04:01 AM

I put my FAITH and TRUST in my Savior. The Lord Jesus Christ has control! angel2
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 04:17 AM

No.
Posted By: Bassman_78

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 04:40 AM

Yes?
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 06:19 AM

An anti-malaria drug named chloroquine, or hydroxychloroquine, has shown fantastic results in combating the COVID-19 virus.

“A peer-reviewed study shows that 100% of patients, after 6 days of taking a Malaria drug were ‘virologically’ cured

“This is, reportedly, the 2nd 100% cure to a virus that has ever existed,” Charlie Kirk, a friend of the president, said on Twitter.

https://explainlife.com/100-of-patients-new-coronavirus-update-sends-shockwaves-20759/

I have a close friend who does results analysis and reports as an independent party to trial studies - studies that use hundreds of participants and a double-blind control group methodology. I spoke with him about this and got the expected professional analysis. Normal medical industry standards would laugh at a test with a mere 26 subjects, with no control group to boot! There's no way to know what number of them might have had the same result, even without the medication. Can they be immediately reinfected? We don't know that ether..... The politicians don't know a good way out of this, and they keep hoping we'll simply get lucky so they are off the hook for solving this. Additionally, they put priority on keeping the herd calm. The new mantra must be "don't test, don't tell". Yes, I know we are testing people - but at a per-million population rate that competes with 3rd world countries. It seems that some may have thought that to rush to mass testing would spook the herd, and we can't have that, can we?
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Magged Out
NWO

Mark of the Beast

The End!

The first one is a great song, I don’t care for the other 2.
Posted By: tech

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

I have a close friend who does results analysis and reports as an independent party to trial studies - studies that use hundreds of participants and a double-blind control group methodology. I spoke with him about this and got the expected professional analysis. Normal medical industry standards would laugh at a test with a mere 26 subjects, with no control group to boot! There's no way to know what number of them might have had the same result, even without the medication. Can they be immediately reinfected? We don't know that ether..... The politicians don't know a good way out of this, and they keep hoping we'll simply get lucky so they are off the hook for solving this. Additionally, they put priority on keeping the herd calm. The new mantra must be "don't test, don't tell". Yes, I know we are testing people - but at a per-million population rate that competes with 3rd world countries. It seems that some may have thought that to rush to mass testing would spook the herd, and we can't have that, can we?

this has nothing to do with"off the hook" this is about saving lives! of course it is not a perfect trial but it cant hurt!
Posted By: gander

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
I put my FAITH and TRUST in my Savior. The Lord Jesus Christ has control! angel2
Amen
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 02:00 PM

Fished a small tournament yesterday. Going grocery shopping today. Going to work tomorrow. Nothing has changed for me.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 02:12 PM

Whatever happens, we will deal with it. I think this is a bit of a wake-up call to a fragile system.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 02:16 PM

[align:left][/align]

Yes do some research on Italy

As of yesterday. 86% of the deaths have been people between 80 and 95 years old.
10% have been people between 70 and 80.
That is 96% of the deaths, although sad, have been in extremely immune compromised
Not say that isn’t bad, but what media outlet or government entity is pointing this out?
They should have addressed this deal far differently.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by gander
Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Amen

And amen.
Posted By: Roller22

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
Whatever happens, we will deal with it. I think this is a bit of a wake-up call to a fragile system.

This is correct.

I am a member of a Survivalist Forum for the past 10+ years. This is something everyone in the group has discussed at length. Be prepared to feed your family for an extended amount of time. I never bought into their beliefs of storing food.

I guess they weren't all crazy after all.
Posted By: Emit R Detsaw

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 02:33 PM

Is life as we know it over??

Naw. For some it's over when they die, but for most, it's just a temporary pause. Everything will get back to normal. Always has.

I'm hardly noticing a difference, but it's just my wife's and my lifestyle. Live in the country, seldom went to town except to pick up the necessities before. Did most of our non-perishable shopping online. Usually have had enough supplies (non-perishable goods) on hand to eat or wipe our rears for 4 to 6 months. Not survivalist, just lived through enough natural disasters (hurricanes, earthquakes, power outages) that we learned to stock up years ago.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by 9094
[align:left][/align]

Yes do some research on Italy

As of yesterday. 86% of the deaths have been people between 80 and 95 years old.
10% have been people between 70 and 80.
That is 96% of the deaths, although sad, have been in extremely immune compromised
Not say that isn’t bad, but what media outlet or government entity is pointing this out?
They should have addressed this deal far differently.

Yes sir
Posted By: CaptainCrunch

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 02:43 PM

Say a prayer, display your faith and get on with your life.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Icepick

Some will continue to live in denial right up until the moment they realize they can't attend a funeral for a friend or family member.

Ageed. It's not here yet and I hope we don't go through what the East and West Coast are going through right now. I think we will be somewhere between South Korea and the Italian model. Major cites will be hammered.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 03:01 PM

it has for sure changed
how can anyone say no ?
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by butch sanders
it has for sure changed
how can anyone say no ?

I agree. At least for the near future life has changed for everybody. Even after this passes it wont be the same. Lots of businesses will figure out they dont need this or that, people will see they dont need this or that, hopefully it leads a whole bunch to see what's really important. Dont even think about sneezing in public for a few years lol
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 04:07 PM

I have a friend that is a microbiologist whose lab is studying this with control groups etc., getting the same results

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Der Vorsteher

I have a friend that is a microbiologist whose lab is studying this with control groups etc., getting the same results

Thats awesome
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 04:17 PM

I agree. At least here it seems they are doing exactly that. Dont tell any info and people wont know.
Posted By: Bassman_78

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by elcoyote, esq.
Originally Posted by Magged Out
NWO

Mark of the Beast

The End!

The first one is a great song, I don’t care for the other 2.

I really liked that album back in the day. I need to listen to it again.

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 04:53 PM

Our forefathers faced far worse than this and life went on and steadily improved. This will be the same as long as some people lose the defeatist attitude and push forward. its gonna suck for us for a while but its not gonna be the end of life as we know it.
Posted By: donothin

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 05:02 PM

Things will change for sure. I would suspect there will be much more telecommuting as a result. We will find that there are things we can do without and will continue to do so. We will continue to develop technologically and slow with the manufacturing. We will struggle with the loss of equity in our retirement systems.
There will be a new day, but we will survive and thrive again.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 05:06 PM

We will pull through. I agree, the major cities will get hammered. I hope there is something to the notion that warm weather harms the virus. If so Texas cities may be spared. (No clear evidence of this yet). The best thing any one of us can do is to keep ourselves from getting the virus. Flatten the curve with your family.

If you have to go out limit it to critical outings and by all means keep yourself safe through whatever measures you can. Wear an 95 mask and nitrile gloves if you have them. I went to get a few last critical groceries this morning and was the only person in the store wearing PPE. At least one person in the store scoffed at me for the mask and gloves I had on. I'm not trying to scare anyone, but I'm not joking around with this virus. I live in the 4th largest city in the country and everyone was in that store like it was a normal day. Scary.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 05:35 PM

Change is part of the human condition. But, just as with the rest of nature it is going to be adapt or whither and die. Darwin had that part right. Whither and die could be taken literally or it could mean adapt as a nation or go under.

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 05:54 PM

And then there is the oil bidness which is a big deal in Texas. Currently there is an oil glut that will quickly affect the economy of Texas. Will partially depend on how long the price war continues, but also consumption will be down for awhile.
Posted By: Po Boy

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 05:54 PM

Everyone needs to calm down and read Psalm 91.

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 06:43 PM

If you lived through 9-11, you know a lot changed that has never returned to what we considered normal prior to September 11, 2001. I guess I should have been more clear. Not actually your life, like you'll die. Life as an American living in a free society.

If you have not noticed the economy has already been drastically affected in just 10 short days. If the outbreak spreads, as predicted, the healthcare system will be overwhelmed to the point there are little no ICU beds for those that are sick or injured that have nothing to do with Covid-19. Just because we are on the cusp of a pandemic doesn't mean people's healthcare issues can be put on pause until we clear all this mess up.

The effect on the health care system is the root of the problem with this virus.
Posted By: Siberman

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Po Boy
Everyone needs to calm down and read Psalm 91.

thumb
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 07:15 PM

Doug, tell us the info then . I'm a first responder as well and our city is going nuts. If you have info,share it.

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 09:03 PM

Good chance we will rely on technology for teaching rather than building huge physical plants. We may find that online teaching is just as or more effective than classrooms. Fewer but better teachers with more assistants. Less administrative costs. Not sure how we deal with the effects on social development.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 09:08 PM

Until a vaccine is developed, I predict we will all learn what bleach smells like in various forms.
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Our forefathers faced far worse than this and life went on and steadily improved. This will be the same as long as some people lose the defeatist attitude and push forward. its gonna suck for us for a while but its not gonna be the end of life as we know it.

Completely agree. The pioneers of this country went through MUCH greater problems that what we face now as a modern civilized community. Did Lewis and Clark just follow Google maps across the great divide? You think Travis, Bowie and Crockett just pulled up the GrubHub app and ordered some Sous Vide t-bones? It's all about attitude. Sometimes you lose, sometimes you learn.

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Brad Hardt
Doug, tell us the info then . I'm a first responder as well and our city is going nuts. If you have info,share it.

I am sure your department is privy to the same info, basically a lot of us will get it working, Healthy people, for what they know at this point, will recover.

The real issue is the over taxation of our medical facilities by not being able to treat "normal" ICU patients.

It's a ###### mess for sure!!
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/22/20 10:53 PM

Psalm 91 is great

my daughter
is a Senior in high school
made straight A's
Her entire career
made it a point
to be a good student
she is heartbroken
about all this
no prom
no graduation
no blow off the last month
Posted By: TR176

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/23/20 01:49 AM

I am sure your department is privy to the same info, basically a lot of us will get it working, Healthy people, for what they know at this point, will recover.

The real issue is the over taxation of our medical facilities by not being able to treat "normal" ICU patients.

Before this there was a shortage of RN staff at hospitals just to keep up with seasonal demands, from to time really attractive bonus we’re paid to just get staffing levels right. Now they talk about jam packed hospital. Babies will come, heart attacks will occur, car wrecks (well you get it) so the baseline will be constant. Where is all this staff/F.T.E. going to come from?
Politicos ramble on constantly about going from 170,000 ventilators to wartime level production of same. Where do you get RRTs to mange 500,000 ventilators? Only ICU nurses and RTs can manage vents. How does this work?
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/23/20 01:52 AM

No the fish are gettin after it
Posted By: kennerdude

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/23/20 01:55 AM

No, life isn’t over by any stretch. Dig deeper.

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/23/20 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by TR176

Before this there was a shortage of RN staff at hospitals just to keep up with seasonal demands, from to time really attractive bonus we’re paid to just get staffing levels right. Now they talk about jam packed hospital. Babies will come, heart attacks will occur, car wrecks (well you get it) so the baseline will be constant. Where is all this staff/F.T.E. going to come from?
Politicos ramble on constantly about going from 170,000 ventilators to wartime level production of same. Where do you get RRTs to mange 500,000 ventilators? Only ICU nurses and RTs can manage vents. How does this work?

I know this side of it as well, my wife has been a nurse in the Dallas area for 20+ years...
Posted By: lowew79

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/23/20 05:56 AM

Well, historically speaking humanity has come through seemingly much much worse pandemics before, and our medical technology is better than ever before.. it may not be pretty but I think we will come through this one too. 2 Corinthians 12:9

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/23/20 10:36 AM

Texas is suspending some licensing requirements for former, retired, students etc in healthcare. They seem like they have a feasible plan at work to increase bed space and overall capacity.

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/23/20 10:55 AM

I think Wawi made some calls...

[Linked Image]

I've said from the beginning, let me catch it, recover and get on with my life. If it's my time to die then I'll see you on the other side. Now I hide from something that has less than 1% chance of killing me and our Nation is collapsing, people's lives and careers are destroyed all while politicians expand their powers.

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/23/20 11:16 AM

Go for it Macho Man.

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/23/20 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by donothin
Go for it Macho Man.

Why not? Is my hiding making you any safer or is it destroying our way of life and the careers of hundreds of millions? It's not macho, it's certainly not cowardly.

My "sacrifice" will be to get COVID-19, recover and get on with life. My life, my choice. What sacrifice are you making? What sacrifice are you willing to make?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/23/20 11:41 AM

The problem solving doesnt make sense. It’s as if they are herding everyone into grocery stores where people can touch everything.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/23/20 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by CCTX
The problem solving doesnt make sense. It’s as if they are herding everyone into grocery stores where people can touch everything.

Other countries I have seen are making people sit 6 feet apart while waiting to shop. Medical takes your temp before you are allowed to enter, and before entering your hands are sprayed down with sanitizer.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/23/20 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by John175☮
Originally Posted by donothin
Go for it Macho Man.

Why not? Is my hiding making you any safer or is it destroying our way of life and the careers of hundreds of millions? It's not macho, it's certainly not cowardly.

My "sacrifice" will be to get COVID-19, recover and get on with life. My life, my choice. What sacrifice are you making? What sacrifice are you willing to make?

I've waffled back on forth on whether it would be good to get it early. Then I read about the process you go through if the illness goes south on you. Dying doesn't scare me, but how this virus kills you sure does. I'll spare folks the gory details, but its awful enough I'm going to go to great lengths not to get it.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/23/20 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by butch sanders
Psalm 91 is great

my daughter
is a Senior in high school
made straight A's
Her entire career
made it a point
to be a good student
she is heartbroken
about all this
no prom
no graduation
no blow off the last month

Yeah, our daughter was brought tears yesterday. Luckily she is strong like her Mom.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Is life as we know it over?? - 03/23/20 12:00 PM

They will just do what they did before : Bring in nurses by the droves from Philippines and India, Put them up in rent free apartments and give them stipends and sadly pay them US wages when they would happily take their home country wages
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum