Texas Fishing Forum

Bobcat

Posted By: Dubee

Bobcat - 03/11/20 10:50 PM

I have a customer that has a large bobcat taken up residence in their backyard. Any idea who to have trap it or get rid of it that doesn't cost much. Shooting it is not an option.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Bobcat - 03/11/20 10:56 PM

Hey Scott. Live traps are not very expensive. I have one that is probably a size too small.
Posted By: DanDaBald

Re: Bobcat - 03/11/20 10:59 PM

Would a Game Warden relocate the beast ? ? ?

Re: Bobcat - 03/11/20 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by DanDaBald

That was the 1st thing i told her. She called back and said they wouldn't do it.
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Bobcat - 03/11/20 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dubee

That was the 1st thing i told her. She called back and said they wouldn't do it.

Did she call local Animal Control or the actual Game Warden?

Re: Bobcat - 03/11/20 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by PondFish

Did she call local Animal Control or the actual Game Warden?

She called animal control before she called me. I had her call a Dallas county warden. He said he wouldn't do anything. That surprised me. It's been in her yard every day for over a week
Posted By: TR176

Re: Bobcat - 03/11/20 11:25 PM

Not to be to be mean but does anyone really think the job of a Texas Game Wardens who are certified peace officers is to remove nuisance animals? Where would it end? Larger cities animal control departments usually loan out hav a hart traps that and some sardines out to do it.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Bobcat - 03/11/20 11:29 PM

Only way a game warden is coming out is if you hunt it without a license. Bobcats are hard to get in a live trap. A german sheppard will get rid of it if you don't want to kill it.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Bobcat - 03/11/20 11:30 PM

Get a cast net and a go pro.
Can make a fortune on you tube
Posted By: Siberman

Re: Bobcat - 03/11/20 11:51 PM

Shooting it is not an option.

I've had good results using rat shot .

Re: Bobcat - 03/11/20 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by TR176
Not to be to be mean but does anyone really think the job of a Texas Game Wardens who are certified peace officers is to remove nuisance animals? Where would it end? Larger cities animal control departments usually loan out hav a hart traps that and some sardines out to do it.

It's not a dog or house cat. Wardens will normally help with wildlife. If it came through her yard once a week. No big deal. This one has decided to stay.

Re: Bobcat - 03/11/20 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by outfishdya
Get a cast net and a go pro.
Can make a fortune on you tube

No thank you. Lol
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 12:09 AM

Motion activated lawn sprinklers . Amazon sells them
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 12:21 AM

cast nets
And auto sprinklers

You guys are on a roll tonight ! clap
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 12:22 AM

Shoot it with a pellet gun. It’ll run off.

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 01:08 AM

It's not a dog or house cat. Wardens will normally help with wildlife. If it came through her yard once a week. No big deal. This one has decided to stay.

Not trying to be contrary but if I see a bobcat in my yard and I call the GW and he has nothing to do and he rushes over, what exactly will he do? Can I also call him for possums, raccoons, rattlesnakes, and cougars?
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 01:10 AM

Them dudes are smart I'm guessing you figured that out already.

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 01:22 AM

Not trying to be contrary but if I see a bobcat in my yard and I call the GW and he has nothing to do and he rushes over, what exactly will he do? Can I also call him for possums, raccoons, rattlesnakes, and cougars?

Well no one said he should rush over. They didn't just see it in their yard. It's been there everyday for awhile. Wardens trap and relocate nuisance wildlife all the time. I'm just looking for suggestions. I don't think they own a gun. Not even a pellet gun. So that's not an option. I was hoping someone might know of someone who could trap it for a reasonable price.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by SkeeterRonnie
Motion activated lawn sprinklers . Amazon sells them

Several people in our neighborhood use them in their flowerbeds to keep the deer out
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 01:41 AM

i would like it in my yard
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 01:45 AM

Well, if you don't want to shoot it, maybe you could try reasoning with it? Ask it if there is something that it would take in trade for leaving the yard? Maybe it was there first. In that case it would be best to leave the house and yard to it and move on down the road.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by butch sanders
i would like it in my yard

ABSOLUTELY

I would be tempted to keep my bow hanging on the back porch.

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Davis
Well, if you don't want to shoot it, maybe you could try reasoning with it? Ask it if there is something that it would take in trade for leaving the yard? Maybe it was there first. In that case it would be best to leave the house and yard to it and move on down the road.

I would shoot it. These people aren't like me. Just trying to find a solution for them
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 01:52 AM

How 'bout just throwin' rocks at the darn thing? If it attacks it becomes a danger and can be shot. Just sayin'.
Posted By: Icepick

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 01:53 AM

Just thinking out loud here....
Could it have been a pet?
Most wild cats won't take up residence in that close of proximity to humans.
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 01:54 AM

I would shoot it. These people aren't like me. Just trying to find a solution for them

I hear ya, forgive my humorous sarcasm. I can understand too that some people are not hunters or understand the food chain thing, but it is either-or apparently. I am very surprised that a Game Warden would not remove the animal. They remove alligators all the time when people call about them in their yards. I think they just need to talk with the right person in the chain of command at the Game Wardens office.

I would play the "danger to children" card with them. Unless of course these folks live out in the rural area.
Posted By: 2014NITROZ-7

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 02:30 AM

Tell them to pee all around the yard, bobcat might not leave but it will save them money on water bill.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 02:35 AM

They do it all the time on Lonestar Law.

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by 21xs Elite

Right. GWs ride around all the time saving baby squirrels. Question is still out there. What would a GW do?

But back to the problem. Would a motion activated LED light annoy a bobcat enough to drive them off?
Posted By: Canino

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 02:53 AM

I heard they hate catnip. Get a couple of bags of shredded catnip and spread it around the yard.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 03:16 AM

Call a local hunting store and ask if they know someone locally that traps.
Most likely they will.

It takes a very heavy duty live trap to hold a grown bobcat. A cheap one from Tractor Supply won’t do it.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 03:21 AM

Shooting is always an option. For those without guns or basic firearm knowledge, there is help on the Texas Hunting Forum. Its what they do. The next best option is a motion detecting sprinkler off of Amazon.com
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 03:43 AM

Not sure about up there, but we have a gov’t paid wildlife trapper here. I would think there would be someone up in that area because of coyotes.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 03:46 AM

A game warden will relocate it if the homeowner can catch it. I may have had a couple released at our place by gws in the past.
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 04:07 AM

Winterize the cat...
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 04:10 AM

bet this would get a bunch of replies in the classifieds under cat removal for hire
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Icepick
Just thinking out loud here....
Could it have been a pet?
Most wild cats won't take up residence in that close of proximity to humans.

Not necessarily. We have a huge one that lives in our alley in Far North Dallas. I see it about once a week and it's the biggest bobcat that I've ever seen.

I only see it during the day when folks are out and about. One of these days I'll see it at night... I'll grab my 22 and slide a baby bottle nipple over the barrel (the nipple serves as a silencer for two shots)

We have coyotes in the neighborhood as well. We see them at night and during the day.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 10:43 AM

Get a fuzzy mouse and a fishing rod.

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 10:50 AM

I hear ya, forgive my humorous sarcasm. I can understand too that some people are not hunters or understand the food chain thing, but it is either-or apparently. I am very surprised that a Game Warden would not remove the animal. They remove alligators all the time when people call about them in their yards. I think they just need to talk with the right person in the chain of command at the Game Wardens office.

I would play the "danger to children" card with them. Unless of course these folks live out in the rural area.

They live close to royal and the tollway
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 12:01 PM

Why not leave it alone? Its eating rats. Thats a good thing.

Or, if they are scared of it (I think that would be cool to have around but to each their own), I am sure a big dog would run it off pretty fast. They can borrow one of mine if they like. They are big and like to bark at stuff, pretty sure they both hate cats so this would just seem like a fat cat to them.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 12:45 PM

tuna fish, ambien.

when it goes to sleep load it in the back seat and relocate it for them.

see how easy that was? grin

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 01:42 PM

good thing for them

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 01:59 PM

good thing for them

Yes it is
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 02:02 PM

I have a friend (let's call him BN for his protection) that is pretty good with shooting bobcats with his bow.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My son... I mean BN's son is pretty good with putting an end to their reign of terror as well.

[Linked Image]

No one needs to know anything (except the homeowner because he will need to use their restroom every couple of hours and will need a couple hard salami sandwiches until the beast is put down).

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by BlueNitro
I have a friend (let's call him BN for his protection) that is pretty good with shooting bobcats with his bow.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My son... I mean BN's son is pretty good with putting an end to their reign of terror as well.

[Linked Image]

No one needs to know anything (except the homeowner because he will need to use their restroom every couple of hours and will need a couple hard salami sandwiches until the beast is put down).

did the cat attack y'all?
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 02:24 PM

Does look like self defense.
He was on that limb about to pounce.

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 02:38 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nah, all of them were running around the neighborhood acting crazy so instead of pulling my gun out on the porch and directing traffic I decided to just send a Grim Reaper 125 grain broadhead through their vitals.

BTW - it's a real challenge to take a bobcat with a bow and after my 3rd cat and my son getting his, we give them a pass now.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 02:43 PM

The warden you called must not have a Lone Star Law Crew with them because they do that type of stuff all the time on the show.

Just trap it then post on Facebook you shot a bobcar with no license and the wardens will show up shortly.

I mean if they will make a special trip to give a man a citation for cooking a dove that flew into his window, they should be willing to relocate the bobcat for you.

Local animal control will sometimes give you a trap to set.
Posted By: 5PounderOnAFrog

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 02:51 PM

Its a cat..... Indian charge it and punt it over the fence.
Posted By: Mark C

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 02:56 PM

One shot with a BB gun and you'd probably never see it again.

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 03:52 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nah, all of them were running around the neighborhood acting crazy so instead of pulling my gun out on the porch and directing traffic I decided to just send a Grim Reaper 125 grain broadhead through their vitals.

BTW - it's a real challenge to take a bobcat with a bow and after my 3rd cat and my son getting his, we give them a pass now.

killing machine
Posted By: PMK2

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 03:58 PM

Dallas county animal removal

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 05:25 PM

Coyote pee might also work to run it off.
Posted By: jrs_39

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 06:45 PM

I have a huge live trap designed for bobcats. My mom also has a large bobcat that we see almost daily in her Richardson backyard. In the 3 months I ran the trap, I caught one coyote (young male), 3 coons, 2 possums, one feral kitten, 4 rabbits, and 2 squirrels. Used tuna, dead rat, dead grackle, miscellaneous table scraps.

Without live bait (preferably a pekinese or pomeranian) the bobcat is never going into the trap. Out on the ranch, I have never caught them with anything but a live chicken.
Posted By: Bryan O'

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
tuna fish, ambien.

when it goes to sleep load it in the back seat and relocate it for them.

see how easy that was? grin

Just keep in mind - that they hate cinnamon - love pepper - "Alan"
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 07:26 PM

roflmao

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by jrs_39
I have a huge live trap designed for bobcats. My mom also has a large bobcat that we see almost daily in her Richardson backyard. In the 3 months I ran the trap, I caught one coyote (young male), 3 coons, 2 possums, one feral kitten, 4 rabbits, and 2 squirrels. Used tuna, dead rat, dead grackle, miscellaneous table scraps.

Without live bait (preferably a pekinese or pomeranian) the bobcat is never going into the trap. Out on the ranch, I have never caught them with anything but a live chicken.

I ran trap lines in New Mexico and the bobcat is the hardest to trap. When they smell your setup, the will usually defecate in it because they never want to stick around long enough to throw you the 'bird'. I have caught a few but had one that was constantly ----ting on my set until one day when I used a larger foot trap and managed to catch him by his whole a--. Should have see the look on his face when I walked up on him. I thought of letting him go but bobcats were bringing $200 a pelt at the time.
Posted By: CrankAddict

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 07:40 PM

Yep, I had a bobcat problem and hired trappers. Never could get him caught.

Why do they want him gone? If they don't have chickens who cares if he's hangin' out in the yard? They're pretty cool to watch.

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by CrankAddict

Why do they want him gone? If they don't have chickens who cares if he's hangin' out in the yard? They're pretty cool to watch.

They are worried about when their kids and dog go outside.
Posted By: CrankAddict

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 08:22 PM

I see. It won't bother the kids at all. And as long as the dog is over 20lbs or so he should be safe. Could be a really good learning opportunity for the kids. The cats like fenced back yards to have their kittens because they're safe from predators. I'd love to have a family of bobcats in my yard...now that the chickens are all gone, of course! They're really neat critters to watch.

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 08:24 PM

I see. It won't bother the kids at all. And as long as the dog is over 20lbs or so he should be safe. Could be a really good learning opportunity for the kids. The cats like fenced back yards to have their kittens because they're safe from predators. I'd love to have a family of bobcats in my yard...now that the chickens are all gone, of course! They're really neat critters to watch.

this
i watched one out of a tree blind
chase a butterfly for about 30 minutes
fabulous
i could never shoot 1

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 08:31 PM

I know it won't bother the kids. Can't convince them that. But the dog might be dinner. This is a big cat. Lol
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 08:58 PM

So there is no man in this family?

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by 9094

Dubee I am seriuos about the coyote pee. Coyotes and bobcats do not get along and it should scare them off. Be consistant using it and the cat should leave after a while.

Re: Bobcat - 03/12/20 09:14 PM

Dubee I am seriuos about the coyote pee. Coyotes and bobcats do not get along and it should scare them off. Be consistant using it and the cat should leave after a while.

I will let them know. Thanks
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Bobcat - 03/13/20 12:12 AM

They remove them on Texas Law.. It's on the TV so it must be true.

Re: Bobcat - 03/13/20 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by BThomas

They remove them on Texas Law.. It's on the TV so it must be true.

Yes on a recent episode they rescued and opossum, a bird, and looked at mountain lion tracks. The advice on the lion was watch the kids and dogs. There is no evidence the lion surrendered when the law showed up.
Posted By: TexasBlonde

Re: Bobcat - 03/13/20 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by 21xs Elite

Absolutely!, But I have not seen them trap a bobcat. Lots of other critters they trap, rehab and release back into the wild. I would definitely play the "danger to small children" card them call the main office if he still refuses to do his job. This IS his job!
Posted By: TexasBlonde

Re: Bobcat - 03/13/20 01:54 AM

When I lived on Lake Texoma, The neighbor up the hill was a cat lady and a bobcat impregnated her. Those were the cutest little bobtail kittens.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Bobcat - 03/13/20 01:56 AM

roflmao
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Bobcat - 03/13/20 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by 5PounderOnAFrog

I'd pay some serious $$ to film you doing that!! The amount of sheer terror that 30lb cat would wreck upon you would be insane!!

You could just be joking but who knows! ;-)

Re: Bobcat - 03/13/20 04:51 PM

had 1 in my backyard this morning
glad they are back after the work in the creek
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Bobcat - 03/13/20 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by bassmanrudy
Originally Posted by 5PounderOnAFrog

I'd pay some serious $$ to film you doing that!! The amount of sheer terror that 30lb cat would wreck upon you would be insane!!

You could just be joking but who knows! ;-)

After a few beers I decided to punt an armadillo. Not a wise move.
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Bobcat - 03/17/20 02:43 PM

Whatever happened?
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Bobcat - 03/17/20 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by TexasBlonde
When I lived on Lake Texoma, The neighbor up the hill was a cat lady and a bobcat impregnated her. Those were the cutest little bobtail kittens.

kinky!

roflmao
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Bobcat - 03/17/20 03:04 PM

Tell the game warden it has been chasing a Timber Rattler and a Cormorant.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum