Texas Fishing Forum

Being a bad neighbor

Posted By: TheBiscuit

Being a bad neighbor - 02/27/20 01:13 PM

$11,000 reward

That's a lot of cattle to steal at one time, if they were stolen at one time...
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/27/20 01:39 PM

Ouch, that's a quarter million dollar hit.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/27/20 01:42 PM

I'm kinda surprised that the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association is only offering a paltry $1K reward. Looks like the rancher thought the $1000 was not enough motivation either and then kicked in his own $10K.

262 head is kinda hard to hide
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/27/20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by RayBob
I'm kinda surprised that the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association is only offering a paltry $1K reward. Looks like the rancher thought the $1000 was not enough motivation either and then kicked in his own $10K.

262 head is kinda hard to hide

Can they drive them into old Mexico like the good old days? How does this work?

That is a whole lot of cattle to make vanish.

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/27/20 01:51 PM

Some of you guys that work and know cattle can answer this. How many young beef can you get on one of them cattle trucks?
Posted By: donothin

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/27/20 01:58 PM

Probably 75 or so of that size/ triple decker.

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/27/20 02:16 PM

I'd be looking at the guys working for me.
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/27/20 02:16 PM

I had a History Prof when I was at SFA that had a strict policy of only allowing make ups for missed exams in extreme circumstances.

One example was a guy that asked for a make up and when Dr Hines asked why he missed the exam the guy said he was in jail for cattle rustling (this was in the late '70s)
Dr Hines said he made a couple calls and sure enough the guy and a couple others had been caught trying to seal cattle. Hines said he figured that the guy was about to have bigger problems than a bad grade so he let him take a make up exam.

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/27/20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by donothin
Probably 75 or so of that size/ triple decker.

That's a lot of trucks full of cattle.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/27/20 02:30 PM

The truck cannot have a max. weight of more than 80,000 lbs. They can obtain an overweight permit but still cannot exceed 85,000 lbs. Not that a rustler would obey the law on that either. So at those weights about 80 head with a 36,000lb. tare weight. Even though Lipscomb County up here in the northern panhandle is pretty desolate you would think somebody would of seen something. Loading live cattle in a truck is no easy task and would take several Cowboys on horseback. I'm sure the Tx. Rangers are all over this and those guys going to Texoma planning on BBQ are starting to raise a few eyebrows.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/27/20 02:40 PM

I'm all hat.
Posted By: 2014NITROZ-7

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/27/20 02:47 PM

Where was David Copperfield?

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/27/20 03:08 PM

Probably already penned up, heading to the stockyards the next day or two. The thiefs got tipped off by one of the hands, 4-5 trucks show up. Loaded and gone in an hour.
Even if they weren't penned, you don't need cowboys. Shake a feed sack at them or open a gate and they'll come running from a mile away.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/27/20 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Derek 🐝
I'm all hat.

Do you have a boot in your AZZ?
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/27/20 03:32 PM

They were reported stolen on the 18th, I wonder how long they'd been gone?

If they've been gone awhile, and if these folks had someone on the inside at JBS (Swift) in Cactus, those moo cows could have been slaughtered, packed, and be in grocery stores by now.

I'd be looking there, and then start looking at the sale barns in Oklahoma. Those brand inspectors are pretty good at their job.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/27/20 03:43 PM

Chances are they were taken in smaller loads over a period of time. That is a sparsely populated County, and could easily go unnoticed. It could also be fraud by the owner, and he is claiming they are stolen, it happens all the time. Something is not adding up with this.
Posted By: OTFF

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/27/20 03:47 PM

“Where’s the Beef?”
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/27/20 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by TCK73
Chances are they were taken in smaller loads over a period of time. That is a sparsely populated County, and could easily go unnoticed. It could also be fraud by the owner, and he is claiming they are stolen, it happens all the time. Something is not adding up with this.

My thoughts exactly!
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/27/20 10:51 PM

There was another large cattle theft in that area a few years back. I don't know if it was ever solved.

https://tscra.org/tscra-news-releas...n-on-theft-of-livestock-at-braums-farms/
Posted By: me and the boys

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/28/20 01:20 AM

Since they were branded ,any sale or markets have to record this. They’ll show up.
Posted By: Gusick

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/28/20 01:24 AM

Aliens, the will turn up mutilated somewhere.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/28/20 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27
The truck cannot have a max. weight of more than 80,000 lbs. They can obtain an overweight permit but still cannot exceed 85,000 lbs. Not that a rustler would obey the law on that either. So at those weights about 80 head with a 36,000lb. tare weight. Even though Lipscomb County up here in the northern panhandle is pretty desolate you would think somebody would of seen something. Loading live cattle in a truck is no easy task and would take several Cowboys on horseback. I'm sure the Tx. Rangers are all over this and those guys going to Texoma planning on BBQ are starting to raise a few eyebrows.

roflmao
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/28/20 01:37 AM

someone needs to go check out the big texan.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/28/20 03:29 AM

hide2
Posted By: OTFF

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/28/20 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
someone needs to go check out the big texan.

I have many times. grill
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/28/20 04:05 AM

Back in the early 90’s some buddies and I were doing some off roading out in NM on BLM land. We had been driving trails all day and well in to the evening were trying to find a place to camp when we came upon a cattle truck and a couple of guys loading cattle onto it from a pen around midnight or after. The next thing we knew we had a truck flying towards us wanting to know what we were doing. We explained we looking for a place to camp for the night and was just making our way through, they didn’t want us there and we though it was real strange but we just moved on.

Like someone said before all you need to steal cattle is a feed bag and they will usually come running. They are also one of the few items when stolen you can get the full market price where with a vehicle you have to take it apart to get the most.
Posted By: FXfromTx

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/28/20 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by rj74955
I'd be looking at the guys working for me.

I'm originally from the area and know grandchildren of the rancher. They are saying they do know who it was. Now they're just hoping he will slip up or they can find the cattle and have a trail leading back to him somehow.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/28/20 02:20 PM

Devil worshiper convention coming up?
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Being a bad neighbor - 02/28/20 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gusick
Aliens, the will turn up mutilated somewhere.

Illegal aliens working for the rancher is more like it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum