Texas Fishing Forum

Bird feeders

Posted By: flee fly

Bird feeders - 02/20/20 03:44 PM

Set up 5 feeders and have had a great time watching them while sipping on my morning coffee, more varieties of birds around here than I ever thought
Posted By: COFF

Re: Bird feeders - 02/20/20 03:54 PM

I used to really like having them until the squirrels and raccoons found them. They just turned it into a mess.
Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: Bird feeders - 02/20/20 04:19 PM

I used to have feeders but also got tired of the mess. Something that surprised me by being such a draw to the yard was the fountain with moving water. I'll have entire flocks of birds come in at once.
Posted By: greenen

Re: Bird feeders - 02/20/20 04:20 PM

Whitewings eat about 5 lbs a day if I keep them full.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Bird feeders - 02/20/20 05:24 PM

Get a Brome Squirrel Buster feeder. When the weight of an animal heavier than a bird is on it, their weight causes a sleeve to shut off the seed ports. I've had one for two years and the squirrels just gave up on even trying.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Bird feeders - 02/20/20 05:29 PM

I agree with TG. I have 3 of the feeders as he described. Squirrels tried for a while and then gave up. I use the black oil sunflower seeds exclusively in the feeders. Living in the woods in East Texas, I get a wide variety of birds that visit.
Posted By: DCmac

Re: Bird feeders - 02/20/20 05:50 PM

Summer sugar water for the hummers, seed feeders Dec-Mar for whatever comes along. This year's been a disappointment. One cardinal pair, several mourning and white wing doves, meadowlarks, and hordes of various blackbirds. See squirrels in the yard but the pecans are still dropping nuts so they haven't come up to the house yet. 1st year we've had deer come up to the feeders. Don't see them, visit during the night leaving piles of their calling cards behind. Knocked over the concrete bird bath and busted it all to hail and back.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Bird feeders - 02/20/20 06:01 PM

We feed em all, my wife goes thru 50 lbs of bird seed in about 2 weeks.
Won't be long and I'll be filling the sugar water for the hummers, they are my favorites.
Squirrels, possums and coons are fat around here too, and they do knock over the bird baths at times, but have never broken one.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Bird feeders - 02/20/20 06:07 PM

Everyone eats whatever they want from wherever they want, at my house. roflmao
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Bird feeders - 02/20/20 06:10 PM

My pool hot tub is one large birdbath
Posted By: flee fly

Re: Bird feeders - 02/20/20 07:02 PM

Dang Iconn4, you’ve got a zoo going on in your yard!
Posted By: Dognot

Re: Bird feeders - 02/20/20 09:22 PM

[Linked Image]

My Deer/Bird feeder
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Bird feeders - 02/21/20 01:18 AM

I admire your pictures except for the raccoons. My wife buys shelled pecans at Sam's and can feed the fox squirrels by hand. She has only been bitten one......lol

[Linked Image]
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Bird feeders - 02/21/20 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by lconn4
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[/quo[quote=Spiderman]I admire your pictures except for the raccoons. My wife buys shelled pecans at Sam's and can feed the fox squirrels by hand. She has only been bitten one......lol

[Linked Image]

coolphotos Awesome!

Side Note: Seems that your cat gets along well with the fox.skunk, and raccoons . Again coolphotos
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Bird feeders - 02/21/20 01:49 AM

I throw spilled hen scratch outside my chicken yard several times a week. Lotta feathered critters come for a snack. Now squirrels gettin in the chicken feed troughs can be unhealthy for them.
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Bird feeders - 03/02/20 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tallgrass05
Get a Brome Squirrel Buster feeder. When the weight of an animal heavier than a bird is on it, their weight causes a sleeve to shut off the seed ports. I've had one for two years and the squirrels just gave up on even trying.

I have a Ruger 10/22 squirrel feeder for when the tree rats get on my wife’s bird feeders. Works quite well.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Bird feeders - 03/02/20 06:38 PM

My dogs will graze under my feeders after I fill them. They will poop seeds for a day. I usually pick up milo at the feed store to put in the feeders. It is less then half the price of economy bird seed. I don't mind the tree rats at my bird feeders. I just get a better shot at them. I would rather feed them seed than pecans.
Posted By: Papa Stan

Re: Bird feeders - 03/02/20 07:19 PM

Thanks Stump jumper - will have to try the milo.
Posted By: TheBiscuit

Re: Bird feeders - 03/02/20 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by David Welcher
We feed em all, my wife goes thru 50 lbs of bird seed in about 2 weeks.
Won't be long and I'll be filling the sugar water for the hummers, they are my favorites.
Squirrels, possums and coons are fat around here too, and they do knock over the bird baths at times, but have never broken one.

They're fat around here too, but the dog are in shape.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Bird feeders - 03/02/20 09:25 PM

Posted By: Cast

Re: Bird feeders - 03/02/20 09:50 PM

We have that same bird feeder at the lake. Squirrels don’t even try anymore.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Bird feeders - 03/02/20 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by COFF

roflmao
Posted By: Tneel

Re: Bird feeders - 03/03/20 12:09 AM

I want this execution chair ( Table for One) for the pesky tree rats.

Posted By: pchapin

Re: Bird feeders - 03/03/20 12:24 AM

Posted By: RickS.

Re: Bird feeders - 03/03/20 09:44 AM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am not a cat person at all. But that cat there just don't give a ****. roflmao
Posted By: Gungle

Re: Bird feeders - 03/03/20 03:16 PM

Great pictures!
Posted By: DCmac

Re: Bird feeders - 03/03/20 07:34 PM

"Bad" year for DW's feeders this year. She put 4 and a corn wheel out front, 1 out back. Hardly anything goes to the backyard feeder. We see mostly blackbirds of various kinds, some meadowlarks and doves. Haven't seen any of our woodpeckers and only a few of her "pretty birds" like cardinals and finches. The pecans are still dropping nuts so the squirrels haven't started raiding the feeders yet, not that they can get by the baffles anyway. Once or more a week some deer come up and scavenge what's on the ground. D***ed things knocked over the concrete birdbath and busted it and a couple of flagstones.
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Bird feeders - 03/03/20 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by RickS.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am not a cat person at all. But that cat there just don't give a ****. roflmao

If only hides were still worth the trouble

Re: Bird feeders - 03/03/20 11:31 PM

roflmao
Posted By: MAK747

Re: Bird feeders - 03/03/20 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by RickS.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yep, that is one self-confident barnyard cat.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Bird feeders - 03/04/20 07:58 AM

Raccoons - a leading carrier of rabies. I've seen several that were likely afflicted, and had one family member get attacked by one.

Re: Bird feeders - 03/04/20 01:02 PM

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum