Texas Fishing Forum

Level up!

Posted By: Kattelyn

Level up! - 02/18/20 03:21 AM

Added the second box on top today.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BrahmanTx

Re: Level up! - 02/18/20 03:53 AM

I've been thinking about starting a hive. I don't know anything about it, but have been reading up. Why are you adding
a 2nd box now?
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Level up! - 02/18/20 04:01 AM

We had several when I was a Teen many Moons ago. cheers
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Level up! - 02/18/20 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by BrahmanTx
Why are you adding
a 2nd box now?

none of your bees wax man!

see what I did there cast?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Level up! - 02/18/20 01:26 PM

I may be the only one that did. Thinking man’s jokes are hard.
Posted By: gander

Re: Level up! - 02/18/20 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kattelyn
Added the second box on top today.

[Linked Image]

Good job...I am curious do you keep those in your yard ? My daughter has two hives she has to keep nearby at a plant and garden center because the city ordinance states that no one can have hives within 600' of other houses.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Level up! - 02/18/20 03:11 PM

What happens when all those bees get pissed and attack you?

Why do you think Derek dont mess with bees no more? They are like pit bulls, they will turn on you.

Re: Level up! - 02/18/20 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by BrahmanTx
I've been thinking about starting a hive. I don't know anything about it, but have been reading up. Why are you adding
a 2nd box now?

Because spring is starting and they're going to need the room for the population explosion and storage. I don't want to lose the swarm because they're out of space.

Originally Posted by gander
Good job...I am curious do you keep those in your yard ? My daughter has two hives she has to keep nearby at a plant and garden center because the city ordinance states that no one can have hives within 600' of other houses.

I checked with the city of Live Oak for any ordinances before we bought the hive, when I was looking at rescuing the wild swarm from under the workshop. There are no city ordinances on owning or keeping bees. However. I also have this in a far corner of the yard as far away from my and the neighbors houses as it is possible to be. Also, behind multiple fences to keep the dogs and other critters from bothering them. They are not aggressive and I'll sit on the pallet there beside the entrance and just watch them. The only time I've had to wear gear to go out there and mess with them was when I was under the workshop and pulling the hive out and putting it into boxes. Otherwise I'm typically out there in a t-shirt or tank top and shorts and sandals.

[Linked Image]

Re: Level up! - 02/18/20 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮

Why do you think Derek dont mess with bees no more? They are like pit bulls, they will turn on you.

Then I go buy a new queen, publicly kill the one that's in there, and requeen the hive with someone that makes nicer babies. I do get stung here and there, but mostly because I didn't see somebody and squished them.
Posted By: OTFF

Re: Level up! - 02/18/20 03:18 PM

Nice. Planning on adding my boxes the first of March. Hoping for 20 gallons this year.

Yes they do get upset sometimes when working with them. But smoke and proper equipment , and proper ha fling techniques all work very well. I have been stung once in last 5 years I believe. Single honey bee sting is less than a fire ant sting. But occasionally one will get inside the suit. Lol

I’m adding two more hives this year.
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Level up! - 02/18/20 04:02 PM

My brother has tried to keep several swarms he removed from neighbors the last 4-5 years. Most stayed 1 day to couple weeks, one stayed couple years then was gone next day. Don't know what he is doing wrong.
Posted By: OTFF

Re: Level up! - 02/18/20 06:58 PM

Could be several things.
Bees are basic. If queen does not stay, none stay. After a couple years it could be a variation of this.
If same hives are being used and being abandoned then if could be infestation.
Bees can be simple one day, and impossible the next. They are not hard to keep, but can be frustrating at times. That’s why honey is so expensive. Lol
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Level up! - 02/18/20 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮

I'm out of the honey business and into the pollination. Much easier and easier money.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum