Texas Fishing Forum

The world has changed.

Posted By: Kattelyn

The world has changed. - 01/29/20 07:01 PM

Used to be giving your kid a whoopin for bad grades inspired them to do better and made you a better parent.
Posted By: tricky

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 07:05 PM

I got whipped with a belt as a child also. I did not have to take all my clothes off and really take a beatin all over my body.
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 07:08 PM

Made my life better in the long run, that's for sure. Sorry this guy has to go through that, for what could be the greater good.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 07:11 PM

my folks whooped my ARS for bad grades. It just made me into a bigger liar and forger. You know how easy a F can become a B... I could also sign my dads name better than he could.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 07:13 PM

Violence is never the answer.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 07:16 PM

Huge difference in a disciplinary spanking and a clothes off belt beating.

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Posted By: kennerdude

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by HasBen

Absolutely

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 07:18 PM

Completely agree. Although the Hot Wheels track was never a favorite of mine, a clothes off belt beating is a whole 'nother problem.
Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dave-0

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Okay, what the heck happened to the OT. That's the second time today I've encountered someone using latin in here.

**EDIT ** Not complaining, just not expected.

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 07:27 PM

Et tu, Brute?

grin

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 07:28 PM

darn Latinos
Posted By: H.Town_paddler

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 07:36 PM

I got the belt a lot as a kid. But I don’t use one on my children. I’m not against spanking, but a belt to me seems unnecessary.
Posted By: Urban Fisher

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 07:44 PM

Call me a wuss, but I just don't have it in me to beat hit my son like that.
Posted By: 1ShotNoKills

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Urban Fisher
Call me a wuss, but I just don't have it in me to beat hit my son like that.

Wuss
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 07:52 PM

Agree

Completely agree. Although the Hot Wheels track was never a favorite of mine, a clothes off belt beating is a whole 'nother problem.

Heaven forbid my Mom get ahold of one of my Hot Wheels track sections. Those were worse than the belt. Granny would make me pick my own switch. The mental part of that was worse than her chasing me with the switch.
Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 08:03 PM

My Dad used to be like that, belts and stuff. It was usually accompanied by some sort of craziness like throwing a couch across the room. I remember when I was about 13, I snuck out and went over to some girl's house that I liked. That little adventure got me hit upside the head so hard I flew entirely over the hood of an old Lincoln.

Ultimately all that came out of that was me planting a right hand square in his teeth at about 17, which forever stopped all his nonsense.

I don't have kids, but just from my personal experience, beating on them doesn't do any good.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by H2O Seeker

Agree

Heaven forbid my Mom get ahold of one of my Hot Wheels track sections. Those were worse than the belt. Granny would make me pick my own switch. The mental part of that was worse than her chasing me with the switch.

I'd always pick the biggest damn branch I could find. One time a storm knocked down this huge pecan branch so I dragged that sumbitch in the house and looked at my grandma like, good luck swinging this. You name it, I was beat with it. Don't remember being beat naked but I'm sure I was bare butt a few times. My black friends were beat on another level by their parents, this doesn't seem too extreme.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 08:13 PM

Back in my day, that was a going thing and no one would say anything about. My ole' man, a WW2 Marine, used belts, an ext.cord, fists, and even a 2x4. He tore our [censored] up to where we bled...that went for my two sisters as well. There was no such thing as child cruelty that I knew of in those days. I can't remember my age then but one day he was coming after me and grabbed his old .22 cal. rifle and stopped him in the hallway. He said, what are doing with that? Not another word was said as he went down the hall and locked his self in his bedroom. It was a bit later I moved out and lived with another family bc of his child abuse, finished HS and later went in the Marine Corps.Rants over..
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 08:28 PM

...Until it is.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 09:04 PM

yep. That man crossed the line
Posted By: Magged Out

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by kennerdude®

Absolutely

^^^^

Mama Mag Dont Play! That Rod of correction shall drive it far from him or her... Knock that foolishness rite off EM!

Very Rare we gotta give them a good ol fashioned $$$ Whippin!
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by tricky
I got whipped with a belt as a child also. I did not have to take all my clothes off and really take a beatin all over my body.

I concur, he crossed the line whipping him naked.
Posted By: OTFF

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 09:56 PM

Pretty simple. Discipline is used for training, not punishment.
When you follow that it’s pretty effective.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 09:59 PM

Would that be considered positive punishment or negative reinforcement?

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by BCBassCat
Would that be considered positive punishment or negative reinforcement?

grin
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by BrandoA

Yeah. I'm all for a spanking or whupping if warranted. But a beating like that, no.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 11:02 PM

There is a fairly narrow age where spankings are effective. Old enough to understand they are doing wrong and young enough to not have the full mental capacity to be reasoned with. That age range varies kid to kid. Beating a stripped down kid with a belt is never okay.
Posted By: Patriot Guard Rider

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Coach Hark

I concur, he crossed the line whipping him naked.

That was not a whipping. It was a totally unwarranted beating. Naked or clothed, it was absolutely wrong!
Posted By: COFF

Re: The world has changed. - 01/29/20 11:58 PM

Being a parent is not always easy. Usually, if I have to resort to spanking, I feel like I have failed to effectively communicate to them what is expected and accepted behavior. For me personally, I try NOT to spank when I am angry. Calm down a bit, then proceed as necessary.

While I don't like spanking my kids, I also understand that fear of consequences/punishment is a good thing for a child to have. One place I draw a definitive line is physical danger to my kids. They may play and dance around on a sidewalk, but take that one step into the parking lot and I unleash hell on their little butts.

All that said, the all over the body and lasting welts stuff is definitely over the line.
Posted By: 96speed

Re: The world has changed. - 01/30/20 06:02 PM

My parents spanked me as a child and I don't necessarily regret it. That doesn't mean by default that spanking works. Part of being an adult is learning better ways to handle things and educating yourself. There are plenty of studies, books, and statistically significant data that offer insight to spanking and raising children. As long we aren't knuckleheads then we can learn and improve.

This incident sounds like someone just wanting to tee off on someone who couldn't fight back which is the definitely of a bully/"rhymes with wussy." So, yes--fortunately, the world is changing.
Posted By: Zipster

Re: The world has changed. - 01/30/20 06:27 PM

When I was 13 I skipped school with my buddy while my grandparents were visiting from out of town. When I got home my Dad asked me about it saying the school had called. My Grandmother said, " He wouldn't do that, there must be a mistake." Well I tried lieing which made it worse so my Dad sent me to my room. About 10 minutes later he came down, told me to drop my drawers and grab my ankles. He took off his 1 1/2 inch cowboy belt, gave it a single wrap around his hand and went to work. Each swing kept getting harder and faster. I promise you a belt on bare skin can make a sound like a gunshot. I was marked up from my lower back to my ankles. My Grandmother finally came in and stopped him. Afterwards, I saw him crying because he knew he had lost control. I don't think I sat down for a week. I got a lot of whippins but that one was the worst.

I spanked my kids; but never while I was mad. I'd wait and cool off so that I didn't repeat what happened to my dad.
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: The world has changed. - 01/30/20 06:51 PM

I liked when you almost got away but he managed to grab a wrist and you would run in a circle while his foot to your backside would lift you up in the air. Land and repeat until his leg got tired.

Re: The world has changed. - 01/30/20 07:01 PM

I jumped the belt one time (one time) on the beat your ars merry-go-round. Dad gave himself a swat across his own ars. From that point I was face down, face full of doo-doo brown sculptured shag, getting a thrashing.

As a parent I had some spanking rules. #1 the crime must equal the punishment. Not everything deserves swats. #2 I never spanked while angered. I always gave myself time to cool down, #3 It was either a 3 swat offense or a 5 swat offense. #4 Let them cry afterwards. #5 once done, move on.

All these rules were made from my childhood experiences. For obvious reasons.
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: The world has changed. - 01/30/20 07:11 PM

If you whoop them hear and there young you rarely have to do it as they get older . In my personal experience you can just give em the eyes and it will usually do the trick . I was blessed with a pretty well mannered little girl .
Posted By: Icepick

Re: The world has changed. - 01/30/20 07:35 PM

I was raised in a Church of Christ/Baptist family.
Spare the rod and spoil the child was a saying I heard often.
I was forced to strip naked and then whipped as a young teenager.
As an adult I can count on one hand the number of times I've been in either church for anything besides a wedding or funeral.
I have forgiven the "Christian" who whipped me because these things are part of a cycle of violence that continue through time until a child grows into an adult and says never again.
I broke that cycle.
I feel for the children of those who haven't.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: The world has changed. - 01/30/20 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
Originally Posted by BrandoA

Yeah. I'm all for a spanking or whupping if warranted. But a beating like that, no.

Plus #1.
Posted By: pchapin

Re: The world has changed. - 01/30/20 08:53 PM

The belt worked great for me, my youngest brother and both sisters. The bother who is 4 years younger would just look at my dad and say "be sure you don't stop until you feel good"

Re: The world has changed. - 01/30/20 09:07 PM

Looking back on things, those 3 to 5 licks from assistant Principal Whitley on a bi-weekly basis were pretty bad. Wonder if I could sue the school district. Sure he is dead from old age by now.

Re: The world has changed. - 01/30/20 09:30 PM

Looking back on things, those 3 to 5 licks from assistant Principal Whitley on a bi-weekly basis were pretty bad. Wonder if I could sue the school district. Sure he is dead from old age by now.

Licks = Swats with the paddle
Posted By: RATZ

Re: The world has changed. - 01/30/20 09:43 PM

I got the belt, wooden spoon, switch, ect many times, but was never once beaten/abused. Heck PGR had a western belt with his name engraved into it. I had LLIB (Bill backwards) across my butt several times.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: The world has changed. - 01/30/20 09:45 PM

We took licks at school. Parents didn't spank but dad was a yeller. I never spank our son. With his condition he wouldn't understand plus I don't want him to think aggression is OK.
Posted By: RATZ

Re: The world has changed. - 01/30/20 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
We took licks at school. Parents didn't spank but dad was a yeller. I never spank our son. With his condition he wouldn't understand plus I don't want him to think aggression is OK.

I bet you could swing a mean belt if you wanted to.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: The world has changed. - 01/30/20 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by COFF
Being a parent is not always easy. Usually, if I have to resort to spanking, I feel like I have failed to effectively communicate to them what is expected and accepted behavior. For me personally, I try NOT to spank when I am angry. Calm down a bit, then proceed as necessary.

While I don't like spanking my kids, I also understand that fear of consequences/punishment is a good thing for a child to have. One place I draw a definitive line is physical danger to my kids. They may play and dance around on a sidewalk, but take that one step into the parking lot and I unleash hell on their little butts.

All that said, the all over the body and lasting welts stuff is definitely over the line.

^^YES^^
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: The world has changed. - 01/30/20 10:04 PM

I really admire the "tiger/dragon" lady/moms.

Their kids know discipline, pain and punishment.

Those kids are virtuoso players by the age of 12!

Addendum: If the kid fails, it's a sweat shop or death, as it should be!

...!

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum