Texas Fishing Forum

Have you ever had a plane abort landing ?

Posted By: Happykamper

Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 04:44 PM

Happened to us last Sunday, we approached the runway, could not have been more than 10 - 15 feet off the runway and the pilot hammers down on it, we get back up into the air a ways and it is like he hits the brakes, then we start a big circle, finally after about ten minutes ( felt like an hour ) the pilot comes on and says he had to abort landing because a plane did not get off the runway in time for him to land, we will be landing shortly. Pretty sure everyone on the plane was having a private conversation with the Man above during this attempted landing.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 04:48 PM

I'd prefer not to experience a "touch & go" in a commercial aircraft.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 04:51 PM

I've had some scary landings. I remember landing in Knoxville back in the 80's in a very strong crosswind on a gusty windy day and at the last minute our plane's wing dipped to starboard. Don't see how it didn't touch the ground. My dad who had many hours in the air in Alaska with Wien Airlines looked at me with very wide eyes right after the plane corrected.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 04:53 PM

No touch and go landing attempts; but, had a flight diverted to Bergstom/Austin from DFW about an hour from scheduled landing.
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 04:55 PM

Had one at Houston Hobby a few years ago aboard a SW Airlines flight.
Another aircraft on the ground was crossing the runway directly in our landing path.
Quite a roar those engines can make when the pilot pushes the throttle all the way up! eeks
Posted By: Mark C

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 04:56 PM

Only once. Landing in San Antonio in heavy fog. One attempt and then it was back to Dallas.
Posted By: J-2

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 04:57 PM

Had one touch and go and one abort. The touch and go was scary as we had to go back up due to running out of runway. The abort was due to a huge flock of birds on the runway. We still managed to take one out and lost power to one engine. It was in Louisiana and had to be a big bird it went right in the fan and blood/guts were all down the plan when we landed.
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 04:58 PM

Yes, and it’s happened more than one time. Anybody who has flown a lot for business has most likely experienced all manner of takeoff/landing hiccups

When I was 17, alone on my very FIRST flight, the aircraft had a mechanical problem and the pilot announced there would emergency vehicles lining the runway when we landed in case something untoward happened

Not how I wanted to experience my first flight
Posted By: Jaredk

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 04:59 PM

I’d say I’ve had at least one unplanned missed approach per month for the past 15 years
Posted By: Donpilot

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 05:01 PM

Once did a go-around at Memphis Tenn. Very gusty winds and storms around the airport. Rocked and rolled last ten miles, went around and it was smooth as glass when we landed on a different runway. Exciting ending on a nonstop flight from the Netherlands.

Originally Posted by J-2
Had one touch and go and one abort. The touch and go was scary as we had to go back up due to running out of runway. .

...I’m Not quite following this one
Posted By: Topwater2

Yep. Coming in to Denver and looking out the window at another plane right beside us and thought how cool it was to have two planes land at the same time side by side, you know, two runways. NOPE, power up and turn left! I was listening to the pilot on headphones (years ago) and the pilot say's to copilot "where the hell did he come from, he's supposed to be 15 minutes ahead of us". I could the faces of the passengers in the other plane, that's how close we were, wing to wing and almost on the ground. That was my first flight. OMG
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 05:06 PM

Never that but one time landing in Jakarta the plane came down so hard the overhead bins pooped open and some bags fell on people. It was ROUGH to say the least.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 05:13 PM

Once, going into Dallas Love Field. Had a King Air landing on a crossing runway. ATC advised us he was 1.5 miles directly to our port. We never could see him so my pilot declared "no joy" and asked for a go around, to which ATC replied "Whiskey Hotel, fly runway heading, climb to x and turn left on such and such heading. We flew directly over the top of that King Air at about 400 feet. Had my pilot not gone around, I'm sure we would have had a collision on the ground.

One other time coming into Love, we were on short final, just over Bachmann Lake. ATC comes on and says "340 Whiskey Hotel, descend to flight level xxxx and maintain heading. My pilot says "umm, I don't think you meant Whiskey Hotel, we're on short final at the runway threshold." ATC..."sorry about that." "340 Whiskey Hotel clear to land on Runway XX."

If you've flown much up front and listened to ATC a bunch, it is amazing what those men and women do. How they keep us all separated and safe (most of the time) is a marvel to me.
Posted By: machoblanco61

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Topwater2
Yep. Coming in to Denver and looking out the window at another plane right beside us and thought how cool it was to have two planes land at the same time side by side, you know, two runways. NOPE, power up and turn left! I was listening to the pilot on headphones (years ago) and the pilot say's to copilot "where the hell did he come from, he's supposed to be 15 minutes ahead of us". I could the faces of the passengers in the other plane, that's how close we were, wing to wing and almost on the ground. That was my first flight. OMG

Well, you can say it was all downhill from there. Wow!
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 05:17 PM

twice on the same flight we were coming into Savannah and it was very foggy. The first time we hit the wheels touched down and then we went right back up, circled around a few times then did it again this time we got down to just a few feet off the runway and he pulled up again. Third time was the charm.
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 05:26 PM

Had to do a go around again coming into Traverse City MI.

Wasn't in the plane but I saw this one:
I used to work at Beltline and 635 in Irving. our building was in the landing path of the easternmost runway at D/FW. My cube backed up to the windows of the Northern wall so I could see planes come in all day long.
One afternoon I just happened to turn around and out of the window I see a big jet liner peel up and left over the Irving water tower about 400 yards from where I was. I thought 'OH S@%T' but apparently said it loud enough for everyone around me to hear. When my Manager looked at me he looked out the window and saw what I saw. Then everyone heard the engines screaming.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 05:33 PM

Aborted take off out of Huntsville just at lift off. Worst flight was in to Toledo with winds gusting off lake Erie right at the threshold. I could look almost straight down at the runway. Thought the wing was going to touch for sure. Did have an aborted landing in Cessna 8 passenger jet going in to Boaz Al. due to a German shepherd on the runway. Too many bad experiences flying to list. At times I flew 80% of weeks in year. Sometimes on short notice. President called me the "Master Troubleshooter"
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 05:37 PM

Over my career as a professional roadie, I think it was 5 times.

1. Aircraft ahead did not clear run way fast enough.
2. Crossing traffic on run way (I think that was the explanation)
3. Abort due to wind shear warning (twice). These are the fun ones.
4. Cross winds on approach at Lubbock on one of those little turbo prop puddle jumpers. The pilot tried but failed to beat the impending dust storm. We diverted back to Abilene and waited it out.
Posted By: Pilothawk

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 05:44 PM

Sorry, but I don’t understand the problem.

A go around is a controlled, safe maneuver.

Look on the positive side. You paid for an airplane ride...now you get ten more minutes and NO additional charge. Be happy about it.

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pilothawk

Look on the positive side. You paid for an airplane ride...now you get ten more minutes and NO additional charge. Be happy about it.

roflmao Agreed.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 05:56 PM

Who do you get back in front of for the new approach?

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 06:00 PM

Depends on the amount of traffic at the airport. It is quite a challenge for ATC to sequence you back in.

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 06:01 PM

Depends on the amount of traffic at the airport. It is quite a challenge for ATC to sequence you back in.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 06:07 PM

Mexicana flying into Guadulahara Mexico. aborted first landing, then did a hard touch and go to make sure gear was locked down then landed. Very scary.
We were heading to Ixtapa and after they checked our tourista cards they tried to put us back on the same plane.
Needless to say everyone protested and decided to wait several hours for a new plane.

Correction it was Mexicana Airlines. Last time I used them aso!
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 06:08 PM

Not an abort landing, but scary. I was 15 and in Civil Air Patrol in San Antonio. I was learning how to fly a Cessna. I hear ATC come on the radio and say something and the pilot just saying, OH SH!T and just nose dives for what seemed forever. Then I look up and see what was happening. Big ole C-5 Galaxy was coming up behind us. That thing created some nasty turbulence. After we landed, I changed my shorts.

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 06:19 PM

I rode a tanker out of panama that had max fuel. it used every foot of that runway to get up.

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 06:25 PM

I used to be the ops officer for 5he tanker operation out of Panama.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 06:26 PM

Last trip in Philippines last year, I was traveling to Palawan and landing at Busuanga airport. We circled a few times went down to land and all of sudden it clouds up and we were about 5 feet from landing and he pulled up and circled about 20 minutes until clouds cleared and finally was able to land. Airport was in between a few mountains.

Last year I was flying to Hong Kong and pilot pulled up at last moment and circled and landed, heard there was some type of debris on the runway, that was pretty exciting.
Posted By: Trebor Neil

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 06:30 PM

was in one, in a military plane, headed into Midway, in the Pacific, , , that's a scary slim island.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 06:31 PM

Flying in to DFW one night , our pilot aborted ( not gently ) multiple ( 2 or 3) attempts . due to side winds. We circled for while, they had to reset all the flights to
land in a different direction. Loud cheers when the plane touched down safely.

MO

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 06:33 PM

I used to be the ops officer for 5he tanker operation out of Panama.

were you there in 83? we had two tankers on rotating TDY. stayed long enough to do urgent fury.

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by 9094
Mexicana flying into Guadulahara Mexico. aborted first landing, then did a hard touch and go to make sure gear was locked down then landed. Very scary. !

....again, I’m not quite following...a lot of what I’m reading on here is people being told tall tales

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW

I rode a tanker out of panama that had max fuel. it used every foot of that runway to get up.

Legal takeoffs are overrated....CFL be damned
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by E8C-ENG
Originally Posted by J-2
Had one touch and go and one abort. The touch and go was scary as we had to go back up due to running out of runway. .

Really? The plane might have been hit with a strong gust of wind and floated then landed long on a wet runway. The pilot noticed his position and instead of trying to force a bad landing chose to do a touch and go. It is way easier to get back up to take off speed than to dig one out of the mess after running off the end of the runway.
Posted By: TR176

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 07:05 PM

Once upon takeoff the pilot came to a stop and said one of the engines was not running. He said he had to run down the runway to start the engine. I don’t know if this was true to this day. In any event after the run down the runway we were able to take off. I often wonder if the non English speaking lady sitting next to me clutching a rosary and praying out loud helped. This was in simpler times when SW was brand new.

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 07:05 PM

popcorn

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 07:12 PM

Ugh...ok...put the popcorn away. I’ll leave this to y’all.

A lot of these stories are far fetched if you have any experience in flying airplanes. These stories are making aircrews seem like buffoons and that’s just not the way it is.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 07:15 PM

I already get a little anxiety when flying. Use to not bother me until we almost crashed and ran out of fuel (whichever were to happen first) in the Bahamas in a tropical storm. Now anytime there's turbulence I get a little nervous

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Oldrabbit
Originally Posted by J-2

Really? The plane might have been hit with a strong gust of wind and floated then landed long on a wet runway. The pilot noticed his position and instead of trying to force a bad landing chose to do a touch and go. It is way easier to get back up to take off speed than to dig one out of the mess after running off the end of the runway.

Yes. Really. Still not following
Posted By: 9094

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 07:51 PM

Mexicana flying into Guadulahara Mexico. aborted first landing, then did a hard touch and go to make sure gear was locked down then landed. Very scary. !

....again, I’m not quite following...a lot of what I’m reading on here is people being told tall tales

The landing gear indicator did not show it as locked down. They explained it as a manuaver to check it make sure it would hold.

If you are calling me a liar you can kiss my azz.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 07:55 PM

Never had an aborted landing, even though I had a couple that seemed like they should have aborted. The winds in the Middle East played havoc on landings. I did have one get hit by lightening according to the pilot. Quite a jolt.

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 08:07 PM

The landing gear indicator did not show it as locked down. They explained it as a manuaver to check it make sure it would hold.

If you are calling me a liar you can kiss my azz.

No azz kissing required. That’s what I thought I read. Unsafe gear indication. Land to make sure the gear is down, take her airborne again to bring it around and land again...
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 08:24 PM

Exact same thing for the exact same reason happened to me when I was flying home for Christmas. Our pilot was a little nonchalant about it when he came on to tell us what happened and why. He said, “so we’ll just loop around and try again. No biggie.”
Posted By: TLW

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 08:32 PM

lotsa times from '66 ta '69.. mostly in whats called a caribou.. was like a good six flags ride...………... flag
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 08:48 PM

On my last flight on AA from Pittsburgh to DFW. We were still in IMC when the tower had them do a go around. Once established in the holding pattern, it was over an hour before we went back on the approach. I did do a go around at Bridgeport a few years ago in the Bonanza, as I was about to round out, a few deer stepped onto the runway.

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by TCK73
On my last flight on AA from Pittsburgh to DFW. We were still in IMC when the tower had them do a go around. Once established in the holding pattern, it was over an hour before we went back on the approach. I did do a go around at Bridgeport a few years ago in the Bonanza, as I was about to round out, a few deer stepped onto the runway.

There you have it.

Go around save lives.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 09:08 PM

Those underwear will need to be thrown away.
Posted By: SheldonS

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 09:24 PM

Yes I’ve experienced enough aborted take offs and landings but happy the pilots are being safe. The thing I care less about is taking off and then returning soon because of some issue. It’s scary but I’m glad they do it.

On my first solo ever I had to do a go around because this helicopter was just sitting on the runway. A couple of times I aborted landing or took back off because things were not right.
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 10:20 PM

Lol, yeah it happened to me a couple of years ago. We were trying to land in Biloxi MS. in thick cloud cover with a very low ceiling. we came down out of the clouds about 50 feet off the ground and we weren't over the runway. Pilot hammers the throttles and climbs back up into the clouds. A few seconds later he comes over the intecom and announces we're diverting to Mobile AL.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 10:53 PM

Not a landing , but on take-off I was on an OLD plane leaving Golfito , Costa Rica, Immediately after take off , the guy across the aisle , Said Is your engine leaking as bad as this one ?

I looked out his window , oil and smoke were coming out of the engine like crazy. About that same time , the copilot said something in spanish ,
and we turned back for the landing strip ( could not call it a airport , just one unmanned building and a runway.)

Passengers were unload , luggage unloaded and told to to back to the lodge or hotel. We were lucky to get to San Jose on a even smaller,
plane , held 4 or 6 passengers, We flew thru the mountains , no over them. Fun Times

MO
Posted By: JWRid

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 10:54 PM

No touch and go but had just the opposite, taxied for take off and began our roll, obtained a lot of speed and then the the brakes, reverse thrusts and all manner of "stop this plane" stuff happened. I swear when we made our turn to taxi back we had one foot of runway left before we hit the dirt/grass. Pilot came on and told us the oil pressure never came up to operating guide line.
Posted By: John Peebles

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/28/20 11:07 PM

Worst on was actually a helicopter. We were in Maui for our honeymoon and did one of those, if you come to our timeshare seminar we will give you a free tour of the island deals. Things were going great until we flew between two mountain ranges. We got hit by a strong gust of wind that pushed the chopper sideways and popped open two doors. No one said a word for several minutes, when the pilot finally spoke up he visibly shakeing as was his voice. My SIL who used to live there later told us several choppers crash on the islands yearly.
Second time, flying to Costa Rica. The right engine had to be shut down "due to mechanical issues" over the the gulf. The pilot assured us the plane (737) could fly the rest of the way on one engine. He was right. One of the best landings I ever experienced.
Third time we were headed to Dallas from Houston for my sisters wedding. About 15 minutes from Dallas we hit heavy turbulance, the kind that makes you feel weightless for a few seconds. Stuff was falling out of the overhead bins, as they were slamming open and closed. i thought it was kinda fun, almost like a rollercoaster my wife didn't. LOL
Posted By: Gusick

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/29/20 12:22 AM

I can remember that happening once, they never said what the problem was. I think it was at MSP. I always worry about birds at that airport.
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/29/20 12:55 AM

I was bring a body home from Houston and landed at Redbird (SE Dallas). Transferred the body to the funeral home and got in the Cherokee 6. Took off headed for Love field (home base). Redbird tower said contact Love approach on 123.3X as I climbed through 500'. Note Love and Redbird are very close as the bird flies (10-15 miles). So I call Love approach "Love approach Cherokee 69354 just departed Rebird, inbound to Love, squawking 1200 climbing to 2000." He comes back "radar contact, maintain 2000', turn to heading 300. Next thing I know he's calling me instructions to charge course to xxx. I change directions and acknowledge and he doesn't get my response. So he comes back to me again...I'm changing radios but he can't hear me. All this transpires over 3 or 4 minutes but I'm getting close to the landing pattern. This guy is sharp "Cherokee 354 if you can hear me squawk indent" I do. He says "if we have 1 way communication failure squawk ident". So those who aren't pilots the transponder has a button on it that will highlight your aircraft on his scope momentarily. From there on he gave me instructions an told me to acknowledge with a squawk. I land call ground and everything is working. No clue what happened to the radio but it didn't happen again.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/29/20 02:23 AM

Getting ready to fly out of Harrisburg once and pilot came on and said we were delayed because of a faulty fuel gauge. He stated that a plane was different then a car. In a car if you run out of fuel you just pull off on the shoulder. That quieted the grumbling.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/29/20 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by el Rojo
I was bring a body home from Houston and landed at Redbird (SE Dallas). Transferred the body to the funeral home and got in the Cherokee 6. Took off headed for Love field (home base). Redbird tower said contact Love approach on 123.3X as I climbed through 500'. Note Love and Redbird are very close as the bird flies (10-15 miles). So I call Love approach "Love approach Cherokee 69354 just departed Rebird, inbound to Love, squawking 1200 climbing to 2000." He comes back "radar contact, maintain 2000', turn to heading 300. Next thing I know he's calling me instructions to charge course to xxx. I change directions and acknowledge and he doesn't get my response. So he comes back to me again...I'm changing radios but he can't hear me. All this transpires over 3 or 4 minutes but I'm getting close to the landing pattern. This guy is sharp "Cherokee 354 if you can hear me squawk indent" I do. He says "if we have 1 way communication failure squawk ident". So those who aren't pilots the transponder has a button on it that will highlight your aircraft on his scope momentarily. From there on he gave me instructions an told me to acknowledge with a squawk. I land call ground and everything is working. No clue what happened to the radio but it didn't happen again.

That was not a good place to be in. Well handled by all in that situation thumb

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/29/20 02:59 AM

I was an instructor at Castle AFB. We were doing touch and goes at Navy LeMoore. We were at the point of almost having rear trucks on the concrete when all the lighting turned red. We went around....in Navy parlance, that is a wave off.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/29/20 04:05 AM

We had one landing in Denver one time. Thought the winds were awful at first. He came around and landed pretty quick after the go-around, but on the subsequent landing we came in not quite parallel to the runway and almost ran off the side. Got out thinking he must have had a 40 mph crosswind, only to find that it was like 5-10 mph. Pretty embarassing actually - American Airlines pilot. Normally I've had good experiences with them, but a couple times it's been more adventurous than I'd have liked.
Posted By: 96speed

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/29/20 05:25 PM

Must have been late 80s. We took off and after about 5-10 minutes we circled back and landed. I think the flaps would not retract or perhaps the landing gear. I was very young and all I remember was my mom telling me she loved my brother and I. Was happy to GTFO at the time.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/29/20 06:00 PM

Not an abort but a few years back was DFW inbound from Denver around 10:00 pm. We did not leave Denver on time as DFW was backed up due to storms. We circled around DFW a few times and pilot came on and said we were going to divert to Austin to wait and refuel. I am looking out window after a few minutes and as we descend and I can tell we are about to land at Alliance FW. Alliance is mostly desserted that late but we sit and wait off the runway for over an hour ... then take off and land at DFW. Shortest flight ever. cool
Posted By: SheldonS

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/30/20 04:25 PM

Just happened to me about 30 minutes ago landing at DFW. Plane still on the runway while we’re on final. Pilots did their job thumb

As we applied power I knew what was happening. Thought what a coincidence.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/30/20 05:26 PM

Back in the late 90's was flying in a puddle jumping turbo prop Midwest Express (I think it was Midwest Express) flight from Milwaukee to Chicago. We were landing in the now long closed Meigs Field which was right off of Lake Michigan. A bad storm came up and the pilot had to make three attempts to land in high winds and heavy rain. Finally got it down on the third try. I was sitting next to a young lady that was new to flying. Had to give her a barf bag and my arm had fingernail marks in it from her.

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/30/20 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Allen Bass Fisher
Back in the late 90's was flying in a puddle jumping turbo prop Midwest Express (I think it was Midwest Express) flight from Milwaukee to Chicago. We were landing in the now long closed Meigs Field which was right off of Lake Michigan. A bad storm came up and the pilot had to make three attempts to land in high winds and heavy rain. Finally got it down on the third try. I was sitting next to a young lady that was new to flying. Had to give her a barf bag and my arm had fingernail marks in it from her.

was she hot
Posted By: VIP Fishing

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/30/20 06:44 PM

I’ve been on missed approaches in both commercial and private planes

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/30/20 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by VIP Fishing
I’ve been on missed approaches in both commercial and private planes

Oh look at me I sit first class when I’m not flying my private jet
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/30/20 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by RATZ
Originally Posted by Allen Bass Fisher

was she hot

Not so much with barf on her face (blow back from the bag) and on the front of her sweater.

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/30/20 07:43 PM

I'd have barfed on her. Sympathy puker, here.
Posted By: river-rat

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/30/20 07:51 PM

Had a takeoff get aborted in Frankfurt Germany in 2001 on route to the states. Hit a bird cruising on the runway and the pilot hit the brakes hard. Scared the chit out of me
Posted By: ckcrew

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/30/20 11:35 PM

I've never experienced it before until this past monday landing at eagle, co. due to a sudden snow storm, the plane aborted landing twice before we finally landed. when he hit that throttle I thought I was going to go through the floor. im still amazed everytime I fly how these huge hunks of metal fly around like that.
Posted By: Roller22

Re: Have you ever had a plane abort landing ? - 01/31/20 02:20 AM

Had that happen two years ago in Atlanta. Horrible cross winds and plane was rocking side to side on approach.We get about the same distance 10-15 feet and I'm thinking a wing is about to touch instead of the landing gear. All of a sudden full throttle and up we go for another attempt. Lots of scared folk there for a minute, even the stewardess.

Never informed via intercom about why we were circling and never a word over the intercom once we landed.So on the way out the two pilots were standing in the cockpit door, I shook both their hands and told them "good call." They both smiled and nodded.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum