Texas Fishing Forum

Duck hunting a lake

Posted By: dk2429

Duck hunting a lake - 01/24/20 07:58 PM

Not sure where this needs to go, so I'm just putting it here..

Are there any of you that duck hunt the lakes that you fish? I'm relatively new to duck hunting and have been hunting the coast from Galveston (I'm 15 mins from) down to Port O' Connor.

Next season my goal is to try and hunt a freshwater lake like Livingston or Rayburn for wood ducks/mallards

What's the rule on hunting lakes? I've been told there are only certain areas you can hunt. Livingston would be the closest bet for me if anyone is familiar with hunting this lake... I've never even seen people hunting freshwater lakes before, never really paid attention to it.

What's the input? Break it down in newbie terms for me grin
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/24/20 08:15 PM

thf topic offtopic
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/24/20 08:21 PM

In before rthe forum police get you...
Call the governing entity of the lake you are wanting to hunt Corp, SRA, NRA, WMA's all have different rules.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/24/20 08:26 PM

North end of Eagle Mountain Lake is awesome duck hunting. Launch at South Wise County Park and your inthe sticks
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/24/20 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
In before rthe forum police get you...
Call the governing entity of the lake you are wanting to hunt Corp, SRA, NRA, WMA's all have different rules.

^^This^^ & this> TPWD Duck Regs. Also call the Game Warden in the county you are looking to hunt in to double check everything. Finding a local/regional DU chapter can be helpful too.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/24/20 08:50 PM

Read the regulations. A lot of lakes have individual regulations, such as where you can hunt, what time you have to stop hunting, access points, special passes, etc. just depends on the lake, so double check before you go.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/24/20 08:54 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/24/20 08:55 PM

[Linked Image]

Sure do! This is my wife pulling the boat back up at Fork Sunday right by our dock.
We are so Redneck!

roflmao
Posted By: Medinalakeguy

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/24/20 08:56 PM

The hunting form people will get all pissy if you mention any lake by name. If I where you I'd go out these next two or three weekend and see where the ducks are.

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/24/20 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Medinalakeguy
The hunting form people will get all pissy if you mention any lake by name. If I where you I'd go out these next two or three weekend and see where the ducks are.

Yes, the next month or so is a very good time to scout new lakes. Hunting season ends Sunday, January 26, though.
Posted By: 1ShotNoKills

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/24/20 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

Yes, the next month or so is a very good time to scout new lakes. Hunting season ends Sunday, January 26, though.

What do you know?

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/24/20 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by 1ShotNoKills
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

What do you know?

I’m a better reader than duck hunter, that’s for sure.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/24/20 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sinkey
[Linked Image]

Sure do! This is my wife pulling the boat back up at Fork Sunday right by our dock.
We are so Redneck!

roflmao

Nice set up there sir thumb
Posted By: H.Town_paddler

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/24/20 09:59 PM

If you PM Derek he can move this thread back into the bass section for you.

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/24/20 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by TexDawg
[Linked Image]

We are so Redneck!

roflmao

I agree. That’s pretty sweet.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/24/20 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by TexDawg
[Linked Image]

We are so Redneck!

roflmao

yep, should not have taken boat backing lessons from cody malone though. roflmao
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/24/20 10:41 PM

Most of the people responding live in the basement of their mothers house and have never duck hunted, fished, or left the city limits. You have been warned
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/24/20 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
Most of the people responding live in the basement of their mothers house and have never duck hunted, fished, or left the city limits. You have been warned

OR don't bother to read the OP and attempt to provide accurate or helpful info.
Posted By: MBradford

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/24/20 11:03 PM

Attics.

Very few houses around these parts have basements.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/25/20 12:40 AM

Years ago and I do mean years ago I use to put in just north of Riverside on Hwy 19 at the bridge and go up river. Most of the time I had that stretch of water to my self and all the ducks. Mostly green heads, woodies and a few gads. Just hit one of the small cuts and go back as far as you can and set of a spread of 30 or less dekes. A "J hook" set up worked best for me.

But the laws may have changed so make sure you check before you sure you are okay before you go.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/25/20 02:41 AM

Thanks for replies folks

I'm already ready for November. Haven't been fishing since I started duck hunting this season
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/25/20 08:42 AM

roflmao
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/25/20 01:48 PM

Thank you for your warm, kind remarks.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/25/20 02:17 PM

Lots of duck hunting around the 198 bridge on Cedar Creek lake. Good crappie fishing too. I don't duck hunt, but it sounds like WWII around there during open season on weekends.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/25/20 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson

Thank you for your warm, kind remarks.

You should make him a mod.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Duck hunting a lake - 01/25/20 03:50 PM

My momma don’t have a basement you dummy!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum