Texas Fishing Forum

water turkeys

Posted By: river oaks

water turkeys - 01/17/20 03:57 PM

does anyone know where those stupid water turkeys roost at. i live by lake worth and see them every day flying back and forth . seams like they would just roost blow the dam and save all that flying .
Posted By: Bentman63

Re: water turkeys - 01/17/20 04:02 PM

good eatin' right there
Posted By: glenls

Re: water turkeys - 01/17/20 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bentman63
good eatin' right there

Eat possum much?
Posted By: Bentman63

Re: water turkeys - 01/17/20 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by glenls
Originally Posted by Bentman63
good eatin' right there

Eat possum much?

only the rabid ones
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: water turkeys - 01/17/20 05:01 PM

Most birds fly, man. It’s what they do.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: water turkeys - 01/17/20 06:04 PM

Are the ones you are speaking of like the Black Hooked Beak water Turkey's down here on the coast?
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: water turkeys - 01/17/20 06:08 PM

I see them on Hubbard a lot. They normally roost on calm water in large groups. I was fishing Lavon once near the dam and a group flew right over the boat. The first turd hit the cowling then the rear deck, next the dash, then 5' behind me and then 3' behind me. I was ready to bail. Nasty green turds that spread to about 3".
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: water turkeys - 01/17/20 06:19 PM

I have a buddy who seeks out water turkey roosts for cat fishing purposes. There's a technique called "plopping" where he pitches chicken livers at the base of the trees they've roosted in all night. Since all they do is eat fish all day, they poop "fish" all night. The cat fish love lying at the base of the trees feasting on fish poop.
Posted By: Blue Moon

Re: water turkeys - 01/17/20 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by river oaks
does anyone know where those stupid water turkeys roost at. i live by lake worth and see them every day flying back and forth . seams like they would just roost blow the dam and save all that flying .

In the summer a large population roosts in the upper midwest Great Lakes region and unfortunately flies south in the winter to terrorize Texas fisheries.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: water turkeys - 01/17/20 08:03 PM

I called it "Splat" fishing. Used to do it in the winter on Lewisville. Large float with a piece of bacon or hotdog as bait. Lob the float so it makes a splat sound when it hits the water.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: water turkeys - 01/17/20 08:06 PM

they basically take over the lake in the winter.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: water turkeys - 01/17/20 09:08 PM

seams like they would just roost blow the dam.
If they blow the dam, won't that cause a flood?
Posted By: pkhunter624

Re: water turkeys - 01/17/20 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW

I live on lake worth and have hundred's of them out front of my place every day lately, but have no idea where they roost at.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: water turkeys - 01/17/20 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by pkhunter624
Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW

I live on lake worth and have hundred's of them out front of my place every day lately, but have no idea where they roost at.

I always assumed I the reeds by the base.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: water turkeys - 01/17/20 11:56 PM

The ones with the Pointed Beak are called Anhingas. The hooked bill ones, as shown in the pic above are Cormorants.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: water turkeys - 01/18/20 12:05 AM

[b][/b][quote][/quote]
Originally Posted by GTrigg
I have a buddy who seeks out water turkey roosts for cat fishing purposes. There's a technique called "plopping" where he pitches chicken livers at the base of the trees they've roosted in all night. Since all they do is eat fish all day, they poop "fish" all night. The cat fish love lying at the base of the trees feasting on fish poop.

They roost in standing timber. bacon is the best as it mimics the sound of the water turkey's plops the best. but, the key is to soak the bacon in water overnight so it turns white and floats. you'd be surprised what you will catch. 50lb+ easy on certain lakes. they hit it on the surface, not the bottom.

The Crack of dawn is the best...
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: water turkeys - 01/18/20 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by GTrigg

Did that on Fork once. Unfortunately I was in FIL's pontoon boat with only light tackle. Minnows with light weight work well too.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum