Texas Fishing Forum

2017 Tundra

Posted By: Mike Keenan

2017 Tundra - 12/26/19 02:29 PM

My girlfriend is wanting to get one, does anyone have one? The truck currently belongs to her daughters husband and it’s a good looking truck. It has 18,000 miles on it, is $30,000.00 a good price for this truck? It has 4WD, it’s the Crewmax and has leather interior, unknown what package trim it is.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/26/19 02:44 PM

I have a 2013 crewmax platinum 4wd. I have put it through hell, 200k an never a day in shop. I dont know used truck market but that sounds decent
Posted By: T Bird

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/26/19 02:47 PM

5 different models available. Here is KBB private party value of the lowest price model (SR5 Pickup 4D 5 1/2 ft) with standard equipment.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/26/19 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Keenan
My girlfriend is wanting to get one, does anyone have one? The truck currently belongs to her daughters husband and it’s a good looking truck. It has 18,000 miles on it, is $30,000.00 a good price for this truck? It has 4WD, it’s the Crewmax and has leather interior, unknown what package trim it is.

If it has leather it is at least an upgraded SR5 model but probably not the Limited for that price. That is a a good deal and if you can get it for $28K even better but being family makes that a little dicey. 18K miles should still be under warranty for another 7K miles at least. Mine is an '06 Crew cab TRD package. 315K miles and still going strong.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/26/19 03:55 PM

Used Tundras hold value well, and crew max 4x4 especially holds value well.

The truck was probably $40k+ new even if it's just an upgraded SR5, so $30k for 2.5 yeas old and 18k miles is very reasonable.

They last a long time. Should be a good truck as long as you don't mind changing cartridge oil filters and bad gas mileage. Small price to pay for that type of reliability IMHO, but the low gas mileage could be a factor if they're dumping a ton of miles on it with no towing.
Posted By: gander

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/26/19 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by patriot07

The truck was probably $40k+ new even if it's just an upgraded SR5, so $30k for 2.5 yeas old and 18k miles is very reasonable.

They last a long time. Should be a good truck as long as you don't mind changing cartridge oil filters and bad gas mileage. Small price to pay for that type of reliability IMHO, but the low gas mileage could be a factor if they're dumping a ton of miles on it with no towing.
You never miss an opportunity to post on tundra low mpg..why cant you realize SOME people don't buy vehicles because they just get a high mpg ?
Posted By: silvers

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/26/19 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by gander

You never miss an opportunity to post on tundra low mpg..why cant you realize SOME people don't buy vehicles because they just get a high mpg ?

Thank you

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/26/19 10:38 PM

Why would anyone mind changing cartridge filter, especially if they have their oil changed by someone else. hmmm
Posted By: B-rader

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/26/19 11:21 PM

Patriot, run those numbers, I bet you're wrong. I rather pay fuel than down time, maintenance, etc. Plus they hold value very well. I change the oil in our toyotas, takes about 20 minutes while drinking a beer.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/26/19 11:29 PM

I got 18.1 miles per gallon (all highway) to and from my daughters house yesterday (5.7 liter V8). If I hook up the boat and drive through hilly Arkansas, well let's just say, I won't be bragging then.

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/27/19 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by WAWI

Why would anyone mind changing cartridge filter, especially if they have their oil changed by someone else. hmmm
Indeed

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/27/19 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Brad Hardt
Patriot, run those numbers, I bet you're wrong. I rather pay fuel than down time, maintenance, etc. Plus they hold value very well. I change the oil in our toyotas, takes about 20 minutes while drinking a beer.
I agree. I am lazy though and am friends with a service advisor at a Toyota dealership.. for 8 quarts full synthetic and filter a tire rotation with psi adjusted and fluids checked plus less than an hour of my time for 80 $ I am a going this route

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/27/19 01:09 AM

I dont know the mileage on any vehicle I have owned. I just put gas in it when its empty.
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/27/19 01:16 AM

I dont know the mileage on any vehicle I have owned. I just put gas in it when its empty.

Weird how that works. Some people aren’t obsessed with mileage.

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/27/19 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by elcoyote, esq.

mileage is whatever I drive and well it is what it is..

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/27/19 01:54 AM

I agree. I am lazy though and am friends with a service advisor at a Toyota dealership.. for 8 quarts full synthetic and filter a tire rotation with psi adjusted and fluids checked plus less than an hour of my time for 80 $ I am a going this route

I change the oil on my wife's Toyota Highlander (just so you know - I'm not anti-Toyota). The cartridge filter sucks compared to normal spin-on filters like everyone else uses. I've broken 2 or 3 tools over the last 6 years doing them, and they always take longer than any other vehicle I've done.

Also, let's be clear - Toyotas do break down. Just not as much as other brands. I've at 67k miles in my Ram 1500 and literally never had a single issue with it. About to trade it in for something else and already been offered $10k less than what I paid for it new. Not bad for nearly a 4 year old pickup.

Goodness, I tried to be as kind as I could be. They're the only half ton without a V8 that can get 20+ mpg, and it's not like they're close. They get around 17 mpg if you take it easy on the pedal. But they're reliable and hold value well, and that's all some folks are looking for.

If you gave me the choice between buying extra features, going on an extra vacation, etc., or paying for thousands more in gas, I'd for sure rather not buy a bunch of extra gas for no reason.

I didn't mention it in my first post since I was trying to be kind, but Toyotas also ride like carp. I had to sell my dad's 2013 Tundra awhile back and ended up driving it to meet potential buyers a couple times and it drove like it had no suspension at all compared to my 2016 Ram 1500.

I have nothing against Toyotas, really. My wife loves her HL, and my dad loved his Tundra. But he bought a new 2019 Ram 1500 and it's light years ahead of the Toyota. The Toyota didn't even have automatic headlights for crying out loud. Just because they're the most reliable doesn't make them the best truck - if they cost you more in gas, more up front in purchase price, have less features, and have poor ride quality, those are all things potential buyers should be able to weigh against marginal differences in reliability. It's 2019, and all major brands build good pickups. Toyota just charges more and includes less features, and makes you pay more to run it. The choice is up to you on what to buy.

I do my own oil changes. I don't trust dealers to perform basic, but critical, maintenance on my many-thousand-dollar pieces of equipment. Toyota of Rockwall over-filled my transmission fluid last time I was there.

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/27/19 01:58 AM

I change the oil on my wife's Toyota Highlander (just so you know - I'm not anti-Toyota). The cartridge filter sucks compared to normal spin-on filters like everyone else uses. I've broken 2 or 3 tools over the last 6 years doing them, and they always take longer than any other vehicle I've done.

Also, let's be clear - Toyotas do break down. Just not as much as other brands. I've at 67k miles in my Ram 1500 and literally never had a single issue with it. About to trade it in for something else and already been offered $10k less than what I paid for it new. Not bad for nearly a 4 year old pickup.

Goodness, I tried to be as kind as I could be. They're the only half ton without a V8 that can get 20+ mpg, and it's not like they're close. They get around 17 mpg if you take it easy on the pedal. But they're reliable and hold value well, and that's all some folks are looking for.

If you gave me the choice between buying extra features, going on an extra vacation, etc., or paying for thousands more in gas, I'd for sure rather not buy a bunch of extra gas for no reason.

I didn't mention it in my first post since I was trying to be kind, but Toyotas also ride like carp. I had to sell my dad's 2013 Tundra awhile back and ended up driving it to meet potential buyers a couple times and it drove like it had no suspension at all compared to my 2016 Ram 1500.

I have nothing against Toyotas, really. My wife loves her HL, and my dad loved his Tundra. But he bought a new 2019 Ram 1500 and it's light years ahead of the Toyota. The Toyota didn't even have automatic headlights for crying out loud. Just because they're the most reliable doesn't make them the best truck - if they cost you more in gas, more up front in purchase price, have less features, and have poor ride quality, those are all things potential buyers should be able to weigh against marginal differences in reliability. It's 2019, and all major brands build good pickups. Toyota just charges more and includes less features, and makes you pay more to run it. The choice is up to you on what to buy.

I do my own oil changes. I don't trust dealers to perform basic, but critical, maintenance on my many-thousand-dollar pieces of equipment. Toyota of Rockwall over-filled my transmission fluid last time I was there.
And I stand by my statement..you just cant resist

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/27/19 02:03 AM

I'm an engineer, so I have a spreadsheet for everything. The amount you spend on gas is monumental compared to maintenance, down time, etc. on modern vehicles. Tundra owners choose to pay it in return for the benefits they enjoy in owning a Tundra, which is fine. But it doesn't mean the numbers don't still add up against it.

They do hold value well, but again, in 2019, if you get a good deal on a pickup, they all hold value pretty well. This isn't 2005 when Ram couldn't make a dash that didn't crack, Ford couldn't make a transmission that held up past 100k miles, and Chevy couldn't make a half ton with any type of reasonable towing capability. This is 2019, and Toyota infotainment systems are crazy outdated, their interiors look like Ram from 2012 (and Chevy/Ford from 2015), their engine power numbers are just ok, their efficiency is the lowest in class, and their prices are the highest. They need some major updates and they'll be right back on track.

FWIW, my dad got his 2019 Ram 1500 from Oklahoma City and got 25 mpg driving from there to Lindale. Towed his 6,500 lb trailer to Broken Bow today with no issues. Toyota is very capable of similar performance - they just need to spend some R&D and get it done.

Just for some quick numbers though - let's look at the first 100k miles:

Ram Ecodiesel (what I own) at 28 mpg on $2.50/gallon fuel - total fuel cost = $8,928
Toyota Tundra at 17 mpg on $2.10/gallon fuel - total fuel cost = $12,352
Total savings = $3,425

If fuel prices go back to 2009 values at $4 for regular and $4.50 for diesel, the total savings increases to $7,458.

Not trying to be rude, but I've definitely run the numbers a hundred different ways on this, and the cost of Tundra ownership far exceeds the rest unless you factor in major repairs for other brands but not for the Tundra.

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/27/19 02:04 AM

And I stand by my statement..you just cant resist

Stating facts...yep

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/27/19 02:08 AM

I do agree with this - Tundras are great trucks for folks not interested in knowing the total cost of ownership.

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/27/19 02:10 AM

I'm an engineer, so I have a spreadsheet for everything. The amount you spend on gas is monumental compared to maintenance, down time, etc. on modern vehicles. Tundra owners choose to pay it in return for the benefits they enjoy in owning a Tundra, which is fine. But it doesn't mean the numbers don't still add up against it.

They do hold value well, but again, in 2019, if you get a good deal on a pickup, they all hold value pretty well. This isn't 2005 when Ram couldn't make a dash that didn't crack, Ford couldn't make a transmission that held up past 100k miles, and Chevy couldn't make a half ton with any type of reasonable towing capability. This is 2019, and Toyota infotainment systems are crazy outdated, their interiors look like Ram from 2012 (and Chevy/Ford from 2015), their engine power numbers are just ok, their efficiency is the lowest in class, and their prices are the highest. They need some major updates and they'll be right back on track.

FWIW, my dad got his 2019 Ram 1500 from Oklahoma City and got 25 mpg driving from there to Lindale. Towed his 6,500 lb trailer to Broken Bow today with no issues. Toyota is very capable of similar performance - they just need to spend some R&D and get it done.

Ram Ecodiesel (what I own) at 28 mpg on $2.50/gallon fuel - total fuel cost = $8,928
Total savings = $3,425

If fuel prices go back to 2009 values at $4 for regular and $4.50 for diesel, the total savings increases to $7,458.

Not trying to be rude, but I've definitely run the numbers a hundred different ways on this, and the cost of Tundra ownership far exceeds the rest unless you factor in major repairs for other brands but not for the Tundra.

I bet you are the life of the party.

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/27/19 02:13 AM

Total savings = $3,425

LOL, not so much...

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/27/19 02:13 AM

Total savings = $3,425

Doubtful..he is

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/27/19 02:15 AM

I do agree with this - Tundras are great trucks for folks not interested in knowing the total cost of ownership.
YAWN..
Posted By: BassFever

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/27/19 01:20 PM

You could buy a new truck for $32k-35K. Yes only 2 wheel drive and maybe without leather(can always add it later). But will get full factory warranty.
Posted By: dyollpster

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/27/19 11:55 PM

Seems like you might be able to get a 2019 for 35 to 37k, no leather but new with full warranty and better financing if that's a concern. It's a slippery slope though cause for just a little more than that...
A used one with so little miles will last a long time and is almost new. 30k doesn't seem like a bad price.

I have a 2020 that I bought a few months back. I love it. I agree the gas mileage is not good, but I disagree on some of the other points, interior and ride, but buy what you like. I drove my buddy's 2018 ram and have spent some time in it. Also, I test drove probably 7 F150s, different configurations and trims including a raptor, and I drive my sister's f150 with the 5.0 from time to time. I thought I'd buy an f150, but I ended up with the tundra. I'm happy with my decision so far. There's enough brands and configurations you should be able to find the right truck.

In a few years, I may look seriously at the cyber truck.
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/28/19 12:16 AM

Total savings = $3,425

Can you run that spreadsheet with my costs? Run the cost of gas as $0.00 and let me know what you come up with.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/28/19 12:19 AM

Total savings = $3,425

Can you run that spreadsheet with my costs? Run the cost of gas as $0.00 and let me know what you come up with.

stir
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/28/19 01:53 AM

I can definitely disagree that my 2015 Tundra “infotainment” system out dated. I have used EVERY current model year “infotainment” system and the one in my Toyota Tundra is far and above better than ANY OTHER TRUCK. PERIOD. It isn’t quite as good as the Lexus Bang & Olefsun or the Bermiester system in the S Class Mercedes, as far as SQ. But, it is just as feature packed and is far easier to use.

In a 2015, it has iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, Pandora, Sirius/XM, HD Radio, USB, Bluetooth, a REAL CD/DVD PLAYER!!! Weather maps, APPs(upgradable), navigation, back up camera, and more that I’ve forgotten. A 2015 Dodge has a fraction of that. A 2020 Dodge almost has as much. The Dodge sound quality is horrid. Alpine or not. It sucks.

My truck gets less than advertised fuel mileage. It also makes more than advertised HP. Lol. When towing my boat, I have enough power to outrun some of the same year model trucks that are empty. Lol.

Sometimes, having a truck that is thirsty is worth it.

Funny how “Ram” is trying to distance themselves from the decades old reputation that they created by being a Dodge. “RAM” in 1-1/2ft tall letters across the tailgate is fugly. And it’s still a Dodge that’s gonna have pieces of it’s dashboard sucked up by a vacuum cleaner in a year or two!!!

RAM on the tailgate? Is that an invite for when that slow POS is in my way? Ecodesiel<<<<<BMW built car motor in a truck.
Lol.

Off my Dodge hater box.
Posted By: chickenman

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/28/19 01:59 AM

My truck gets 9.7 MPG highway not towing. Any other truck would be an improvement jack
Posted By: TCK73

Re: 2017 Tundra - 12/28/19 02:40 AM

If Toyota would make a bigger pickup that I could use, I might just buy one just to see what all the hype is about. banana
Posted By: John175☮

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/17/20 12:29 AM

Just brought home a 2019 SR5 TRD Sport.

I'm now in the Toyota Tundra family. My carbon footprint is now Celebrity status.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/17/20 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by chickenman
My truck gets 9.7 MPG highway not towing. Any other truck would be an improvement jack

Drive downhill more often.

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/17/20 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by John175☮

I'm now in the Toyota Tundra family. My carbon footprint is now Celebrity status.

Welcome to the fraternity.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/17/20 01:32 AM

I got the TRD Pro. See ya at the pumps! Congrats.

You’ll love it.

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/17/20 01:51 AM

When you can afford to do it I would swap the factory air intake with a K&N or similar. Also get a high performance chip. Big difference and you will see better mileage. Part of the mileage issue is how people drive. I get 18 mpg in my '06 TRD 4X4 consistenly if I drive conservatively. That drops significantly if I drive 80 on the highway and punch the strip off the line at a red light.
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/17/20 02:23 AM

Man, I wish I was rich.
Let's see some pics

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/17/20 03:34 AM

Congrats John. I considered one pretty heavily before my last purchase. They do make a really nice pickup, and made in Texas.
Posted By: Urban Fisher

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/17/20 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by TCK73
If Toyota would make a bigger pickup that I could use, I might just buy one just to see what all the hype is about. banana

Well part of the hype is when you go to sell it and realize it’s resale value.
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/17/20 04:09 AM

thumb When I bought my 4runner the last thing I gave 2 s%^&s about was gas mileage.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/17/20 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by sdavis24

thumb When I bought my 4runner the last thing I gave 2 s%^&s about was gas mileage.

Well that's good, because it's terrible.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/17/20 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by H2O Seeker

When you can afford to do it I would swap the factory air intake with a K&N or similar. Also get a high performance chip. Big difference and you will see better mileage. Part of the mileage issue is how people drive. I get 18 mpg in my '06 TRD 4X4 consistenly if I drive conservatively. That drops significantly if I drive 80 on the highway and punch the strip off the line at a red light.

All the K&N will do on a 3rd gen Tundra is increase engine noise and lighten your wallet.

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/17/20 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by cocodrie
Originally Posted by sdavis24

Well that's good, because it's terrible.

I was gonna say - sounds like the right vehicle for him!

I do like the 4Runners also. My wife has a Highlander that is just a few miles short of 150k and it's been flawless.

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/17/20 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Beer Money

Man, I wish I was rich.
Let's see some pics

Traded in my 2015 Titan...need to get a BAK Vortrak Truck Bed Cover and it's all set.

[Linked Image]

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/17/20 04:01 PM

Man, I wish I was rich.
Let's see some pics

Traded in my 2015 Titan...need to get a BAK Vortrak Truck Bed Cover and it's all set.

[Linked Image]

No you need to put a set of 6112 coilovers set at 1.9" on the front. Also need some Clazzio seat covers, amp for stereo, Infinity Xovers, and a sub

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/17/20 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper

Man, I wish I was rich.
Let's see some pics

[Linked Image]

No you need to put a set of 6112 coilovers set at 1.9" on the front. Also need some Clazzio seat covers, amp for stereo, Infinity Xovers, and a sub

Nah...I'm boring as he77 when it comes to upgrades. Stock and drive it like you stole it then never sell to a friend.

Need to run by NAPA to pick up a 10mm socket for good luck.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/17/20 04:57 PM

Man, I wish I was rich.
Let's see some pics

[Linked Image]

I like it.
Posted By: DCmac

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/21/20 07:15 PM

Got a 2017 crew cab with cap on back, nearly 20k on the odometer...it's not far to the lake and that's about all it's used for. Love that truck. If I ever have to replace it I might maybe consider a Ford; wouldn't even bother looking at any other brand.

Love Toyota, well made products. My Camry is approaching 255k, the wife's just went past 285k. Previous Camry traded in with over 350k. Prizm before that had over 400k. Only significant maintenance is 5k oil (full syn only) & filter changes.
Posted By: machoblanco61

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/21/20 07:54 PM

Buy it and enjoy!

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/21/20 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by H2O Seeker

All the K&N will do on a 3rd gen Tundra is increase engine noise and lighten your wallet.
Exactly..
Posted By: Flyfisherman

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/21/20 08:54 PM

You gonna haul a spaceship?

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/22/20 06:26 PM

Not trucks anyway. As far as the cartridge filter goes I was not liking the idea before my first DIY change. I learned that with the proper tools they are not a problem. 8 qts of oil take getting use to. I can no longer just stick a 5 qt jug under the pan and open the Fumoto valve and walk away. It would be nice if all vehicles had a top mounted cartridge filter like the Tacoma.

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/22/20 06:39 PM

[Linked Image]

Nah...I'm boring as he77 when it comes to upgrades. Stock and drive it like you stole it then never sell to a friend.

Need to run by NAPA to pick up a 10mm socket for good luck.

yep, it will fit half the bolts on the truck. Might as well get a standard box wrench and racheting box too.

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/22/20 08:44 PM

Not trucks anyway. As far as the cartridge filter goes I was not liking the idea before my first DIY change. I learned that with the proper tools they are not a problem. 8 qts of oil take getting use to. I can no longer just stick a 5 qt jug under the pan and open the Fumoto valve and walk away. It would be nice if all vehicles had a top mounted cartridge filter like the Tacoma.

I got under there to do my wife's Highlander oil change last week and absolutely could not get the cartridge filter housing off. Not sure what I'm going to do. For now, I refilled oil and left the filter. Freaking hate those things.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/23/20 01:29 AM

They're good trucks, just not very fast and eat gas. I think a lot of senior citizens and middle easterners drive them.
Posted By: texcajun

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/23/20 07:01 PM

HA! My 18 year old pick up gets 12 mpg. Gotcha beat!

Originally Posted by chickenman
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: 2017 Tundra - 01/23/20 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by deucer02
They're good trucks, just not very fast and eat gas. I think a lot of senior citizens and middle easterners drive them.

yep.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum