Texas Fishing Forum

Investment Thoughts

Posted By: Pilothawk

Investment Thoughts - 12/11/19 10:22 PM

Selling my farm in Texas...so I have a small chunk of change to put somewhere.

I have been pleased with my primary investment advisor...but the thought occurs to me that it might be well to not have everything in one place. I am most interested in security. Being a retiree will do that.

Your thoughts on where to put a little money....no, not someone’s beer fund.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/11/19 10:53 PM

More land. Not very liquid, but it doesn't get any more secure than that.

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/11/19 11:10 PM

Not a bad thought. I will say that I am tired of paying property taxes.

I have thought of building a dream dock...but I am already close to the Max value for this neighborhood. I don’t think it would add much to overall value of my house.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/11/19 11:11 PM

Check into TIAA/CREF. I don't think you will be sorry.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/11/19 11:15 PM

Do you need immediate, recurrent income from the income from the investment? If so, a dividend portfolio may make sense, if you are confident picking stocks. Or a fixed income annuity if afraid of market risk.

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/11/19 11:18 PM

I don’t need additional income at the moment.

Health issues could change that, but for now, I am OK.
Posted By: Snakeyes711

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/11/19 11:18 PM

At your age T notes or just keep rolling over CDs.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/11/19 11:30 PM

I'd park it in a savings account or 12 month cd. You can get 1.5 maybe 2 percent and wait. Market is real high and with election year coming I'd ease in slowly.
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/11/19 11:48 PM

Rental properties

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/11/19 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Beer Money
Rental properties

It is only a bit more than $150K. Can’t afford rentals on that...
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/12/19 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by WAWI
I'd park it in a savings account or 12 month cd. You can get 1.5 maybe 2 percent and wait. Market is real high and with election year coming I'd ease in slowly.

great advice......or send it to me to keep safe for you.
Posted By: Mudman63

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/12/19 01:10 AM

80% VTSAX and 20% VBTLX
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/12/19 01:39 AM

Buy the dip scared

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billyb...cking-70-in-an-hour-update/#59e014875e60
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/12/19 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Pilothawk
Originally Posted by Beer Money
Rental properties

It is only a bit more than $150K. Can’t afford rentals on that...

Is it just the area? Most rentals around here are well under that. It's a fantastic investment. I have a buddy who just bought a $130k rental a couple years ago and made $30k on it and he's selling it now for a profit.

Our first rental cost $79,500
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/12/19 03:38 AM

Take the points and put it all on the Sooners.
Posted By: MARKIT

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/12/19 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27
Take the points and put it all on the Sooners.

Best advice so far
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/12/19 04:19 AM

Agree. Check the online www.bankrate.com. The risk is 0 and it generates income monthly. $150K at 1.7% throws $212 a month continuously into your pocket. CDs are higher but you have to have your money tied up. If you can afford risk, Pershing / AssetMark have some vehicles that can garner you some higher returns but can give you a heart attack if you watch it closely.

Best Savings Accounts & Rates of December 2019

Here are Bankrate's selections for the best online savings accounts:

Best Rate (tie): Citibank - 2.05% APY
Best Rate (tie): HSBC Direct - 2.05% APY
Runner-up Rate: Vio Bank - 2.02% APY
High Rate: MySavingsDirect - 1.90% APY
High Rate: Comenity Direct Bank - 2.00% APY
High Rate: WebBank - 1.95% APY
High Rate: Popular Direct - 1.90% APY
High Rate: CIBC Bank USA - 1.85% APY
High Rate: Citizens Access - 1.85% APY
High Rate: CIT Bank - 1.85% APY
High Rate: Synchrony Bank - 1.80% APY
High Rate: Discover - 1.80% APY
High Rate: FNBO Direct - 1.80% APY
High Rate: PurePoint - 1.80% APY
High Rate: American Express National Bank - 1.75% APY
High Rate: Goldman Sachs Bank USA - 1.70% APY
High Rate: Barclays Bank - 1.70% APY
High Rate: Ally Bank - 1.70% APY
Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/12/19 05:21 AM

As a guy who has spent decades charging a hefty fee for advice, quit asking for advice on a fishing forum. You get what you pay for. You're an attorney - you know this.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/12/19 05:34 AM

I would listen to this... Just saying
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/12/19 01:46 PM

Have you considered hunting for bargains on gold bullion coins? Things like American Eagles, Canadian Maple Leafs, etc, rather than proprietary products or graded coins? Gold bullion will most likely increase in value over time,even though it may be an investment left to hand down to your heirs rather than cashing in yourself.

No annual property taxes, and no government records that you own it. Big downside is storage, but for the amount of money you're considering it would be about 8-1/2 pounds worth, which can be managed in a small safe.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/12/19 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mudman63
80% VTSAX and 20% VBTLX

Solid recommendations. If it were me and I wanted market exposure, I would lean toward international equities which have underperformed vs. domestic equities in recent years (their time has come) and avoid bonds because interest rates are probably more likely to go up than down in the coming years and that is bad for bond prices. Also - international stocks are one area (along with small caps) where it may make sense to hire an active manager vs. an index fund - check out Morningstar for help finding some good ones.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/12/19 02:19 PM

I would build the dream dock. There comes a time when you need to enjoy the money you saved over the course of your career. You earned it, treat yourself to it. That being said you could look at a dividend paying stock. EPD is currently paying close to 6% and its stock price usually swings between $25 and $30. If you don't need the income, reinvest the dividend.
Posted By: Chevy4dr57

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/12/19 02:43 PM

I have had excellent luck with Vanguard Mutual Funds. The reason I went with them is because it was the highest rated Mutual Fund company according to Consumer Reports. I have averaged over 10% every year for over twenty years except two when everyone lost money. When you have over a million you can utilize their Managers at no cost.
Posted By: a777pilot

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/12/19 04:15 PM

You're a pilot, so....

Faster cars

Younger women

Older scotch

As for this Marine....I ended up with an older car, an older woman, and I quit drinking.

As for your investments I would put the entire 150k in the bank and once a month put 25k in a CD at your credit union and do this till all 150k is in vested in CD's. Then every month once all is invested you get to decide to renew the CD for another six months or take in out. That would give you time to see what in happening in the wide world of politics, which as you know directly effects the economy.

Good luck.
Posted By: Lon Hagler

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/12/19 04:40 PM

wallstreetbets on Reddit is where I get all my investing advice. YOLO
Posted By: Mudman63

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/13/19 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by JCG57
Originally Posted by Mudman63
80% VTSAX and 20% VBTLX

Solid recommendations. If it were me and I wanted market exposure, I would lean toward international equities which have underperformed vs. domestic equities in recent years (their time has come) and avoid bonds because interest rates are probably more likely to go up than down in the coming years and that is bad for bond prices. Also - international stocks are one area (along with small caps) where it may make sense to hire an active manager vs. an index fund - check out Morningstar for help finding some good ones.

If one wanted to avoid bonds, then I would go with 80% VTSAX and 20% VTIAX for international equity exposure. These are great funds, low expenses, and full exposure to every publicly traded company on the globe.
Posted By: Gungle

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/13/19 04:48 PM

Getting investment advice on a public forum? Theirs your first mistake........

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/13/19 04:58 PM

You can get advice from as many sources as possible. Not until you act upon it have you made a mistake.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/13/19 05:01 PM

Check out some top rated ETF's.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/13/19 05:40 PM

I think advisors will tell you if you need the money within 5 years then play it safe. I listened to all the hype about a big market downturn this month along with the gloomy projections for 2020 sold some stocks and bought gold.I think from now on I am going to do the opposite of what they say.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/13/19 06:16 PM

there is a company in Texas
thats about to start mining
rare earth
Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/13/19 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper
I think advisors will tell you if you need the money within 5 years then play it safe. I listened to all the hype about a big market downturn this month along with the gloomy projections for 2020 sold some stocks and bought gold.I think from now on I am going to do the opposite of what they say.

It is often said that the market moves in ways in which it traps the most people. Go look at how much money is flooding into the bond market at the moment.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/13/19 06:28 PM

Pot farm.
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Investment Thoughts - 12/13/19 06:34 PM

Why not have your investment advisor put you in a balanced fund? Protects against severe market drops, gets you a little gain when market is doing well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum