Texas Fishing Forum

Electrician needed

Posted By: Mike Keenan

Electrician needed - 12/04/19 07:14 PM

I am trying to by pass a ballast on a fluorescent tube light and install LED tubes. Obviously I have shut off the breaker, cut the wires to the dead ballast and removed it. I have the wires run as they should be....
From the house, red to white and black to blue. I have a set of yellow wires coming from the opposite end of the light fixture and have those going to the common white wire along with the red, once the new LED tube is installed, this should complete the circuit correct?
So I turn the power back on, turn on the switch, the LED flickers and goes out, what am I missing? Mind you, nobody will insult me, I know very little about electricity, this was from watching YouTube videos and talking to a guy in the electrical section at Home Depot....
So any help will be appreciated
Posted By: Cast

Re: Electrician needed - 12/04/19 10:18 PM

OK, with the ballast removed, you have a black and white wire coming into the fixture from the light switch. That is your switch leg. White is neutral, black is hot.

I’m assuming this is a 4’ fixture with two bulbs. You have four two pin sockets that the old bulbs came out of. Your new LED bulbs will fit in those sockets. One end of the LED bulb is the powered end, the other end is just to hold the bulb in the socket. On one end of the fixture, the sockets are wired with two different color wires. These wires may be jumpered across to another socket if the old fixture had four bulbs. These two different color wires are the new power wires for the LED bulb powered end and connect to the switch leg. Connect one of the two different color wires to the white and the other to black. Install the new LED bulbs correctly, powered end to powered sockets and there you are.

You’ll likely have wires going to both ends of the fixture to the sockets. Pick an end to power up and just coil up and abandon the wires on the other end.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Electrician needed - 12/04/19 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
Your new LED bulbs will fit in those sockets. One end of the LED bulb is the powered end, the other end is just to hold the bulb in the socket. .

That was my issue last year when I was setting up my LED grow lights. I didn't know there was a special powered end. I couldn't get the lights to come on. Took It back to my electrical dist and he told me to flip the bulbs around and it worked perfectly.
Posted By: BOZZ

Re: Electrician needed - 12/04/19 11:12 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hope these pics are not too small.
Good luck,
Bozz
Posted By: Emit R Detsaw

Re: Electrician needed - 12/04/19 11:21 PM

I did that with our garage fixtures 4 years ago. Can't remember how I did it, but I remember watching a youtube video on doing it. I remember having 2 that would come on about half power then ramp up to full power. Can't remember what caused that or how I fixed it. Blows to have a memory failure. LOL
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Electrician needed - 12/05/19 12:52 AM

This is helpful. I need to convert my garage. Fluoros are intermittant at best in humid weather. One set wouldn't come on all summer. After the 1st cool front with drier air they came back on.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Electrician needed - 12/05/19 02:27 AM

Just go to Walmart and get the LEDs that work with the ballasts. That's what I did in our kitchen. Just take the old ones out and put the new ones in.

Re: Electrician needed - 12/05/19 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by machinist
Just go to Walmart and get the LEDs that work with the ballasts. That's what I did in our kitchen. Just take the old ones out and put the new ones in.

That really defeats the purpose. There’s no energy savings and the bulbs won’t last as long. It’s a really easy conversion after you wrap your head around it.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Electrician needed - 12/05/19 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Keenan
I have a set of yellow wires coming from the opposite end of the light fixture and have those going to the common white wire along with the red, once the new LED tube is installed, this should complete the circuit correct?

This is wrong. The other side will be abandoned

Re: Electrician needed - 12/05/19 02:43 AM

The white from the house wiring is neutral.
The white should go to 1 pin on 1 side of each bulb.
The black will go to the other pin on each bulb.
1 white and 1 black per bulb. Only on 1 end of the bulb.
The bulb should be marked which end gets electric applied

Re: Electrician needed - 12/05/19 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by outfishdya
I have a set of yellow wires coming from the opposite end of the light fixture and have those going to the common white wire along with the red, once the new LED tube is installed, this should complete the circuit correct?

Like my step kids.

Re: Electrician needed - 12/05/19 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Derek 🐝

Like my step kids.

Are you the "other side"?

Re: Electrician needed - 12/05/19 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Derek 🐝

Like my step kids.

Are you the "other side"?

Let's just say. I do it for Johnny.

Re: Electrician needed - 12/05/19 03:28 AM

I have 4 LED tubes, I’ve checked all connections to see if anything came loose, all are tight. Could the tombstones have gone bad? If it matters it’s the T8 set up
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Electrician needed - 12/05/19 03:31 AM

I’ll come fix it for $125 an hour and there’s a 4 hour minimum.

Re: Electrician needed - 12/05/19 03:33 AM

Post a pic.
Posted By: BOZZ

Re: Electrician needed - 12/05/19 04:16 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Make sure lamp holders are not shunted. They should look just like
the ones in this photo. I bought mine from home depot
and they came with new lamp holders. They are $9.99 for the bulb and 2 lamp holders.
Made by a company called Toggled.

Good luck,
Bozz
Posted By: barndoor

Re: Electrician needed - 12/05/19 11:51 AM

I think you should just pay someone before the house catch unfire. You have no electrical experience and you have been watching YouTube videos and listening to the guy at Home Depot.

Re: Electrician needed - 12/05/19 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by barndoor
I think you should just pay someone before the house catch unfire. You have no electrical experience and you have been watching YouTube videos and listening to the guy at Home Depot.

See that was my thoughts totally

Re: Electrician needed - 12/05/19 02:03 PM

Mike, if you want help doing this, PM me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum