Texas Fishing Forum

Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey...updated w pics

Posted By: John Peebles

Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey...updated w pics - 12/02/19 02:41 AM

Upon further investigation it turns out that it is a piece that broke off of a brine injector that is used to inject brine to keep the turkey moist during cooking. Of course after finding the piece of metal, no one wanted any of that half of the turkey it was baked in to. The company had to know a piece of their equipment was missing and probably stuck inside someone's turkey. How would you handle this situation w the company?
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 02:44 AM

I would start by having low expectations
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 02:44 AM

wonder how many birds its penetrated?
Posted By: Bass Bug

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 02:46 AM

big turkey corporations has a dept for that , you'll probably get at least one free replacement turkey, maybe more
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 02:51 AM

This gives me a good idea

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 04:02 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 04:06 AM

Should've gone vegan. Never found a spike in spinach.

But seriously theyll send you a coupon for a free turkey or something of similar value.

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Should've gone vegan. Never found a spike in spinach.

But seriously theyll send you a coupon for a free turkey or something of similar value.

True, maybe just a little salmonella. flush
Posted By: 9094

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 04:11 AM

Ram it through your cheek go to emergency room then sue them.
You’ll be a millionaire!

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by 9094
You’ll be a millionaire!

I'll leave the body piercings to Nickbyrd. LOL!
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 04:26 AM

We only buy Butterball brand, 45 years now, never got one with an injector needle built in. What brand was this? Still it is stainless steel and should not cause a problem with the meat around it, IF the meat was cooked to 165. You may get a free turkey out of the deal, anything above that, unless somebody broke a tooth on it, I doubt you would get anything .
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 04:28 AM

Maybe it was a vegan
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 11:48 AM

At least try and get a free bird outta the deal....
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 12:13 PM

The producer or the grocery store will surely replace the turkey for you - you might even get a gift certificate for additional groceries to make up for the inconvenience.

But if nobody was harmed, then no need to blow it out of proportion.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 12:20 PM

Adamantium?
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 12:24 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 12:29 PM

send a letter to the ceo of the co. that sold the bird explaining how you found a pc of their equipment in your tday bird. include the needle and foghatboutit.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
send a letter to the ceo of the co. that sold the bird explaining how you found a pc of their equipment in your tday bird. include the needle and foghatboutit.

Copy the Senior VP of Operations and Quality Control too.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 02:17 PM

You’ll be a millionaire!

This is an excellent idea, assuming he is referring to a cheek on your face.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 02:18 PM

You don’t send your only hard evidence to the company you’re complaining to.

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by JCG57
You’ll be a millionaire!

Judge would probably kick out the case if it was in your but cheek. Hard to sue for sitting on a cooked turkey
roflmao

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

evidence for what exactly?

it's not like someone tried to eat it, it was not found poking out of someones eyeball, no strange cryptic message was imprinted on it (so much for the Trump conspiracy theory), dereks fingerprints are not on it, ou still sucks.

I see no problem that anyone is going to benefit financially from (well not more than 220/221).

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by JCG57
You’ll be a millionaire!

Judge would probably kick out the case if it was in your butt cheek. Hard to sue for sitting on a cooked turkey
roflmao

I wanna be on the jury that hears that one.

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 08:05 PM

it's not like someone tried to eat it, it was not found poking out of someones eyeball, no strange cryptic message was imprinted on it (so much for the Trump conspiracy theory), dereks fingerprints are not on it, ou still sucks.

I see no problem that anyone is going to benefit financially from (well not more than 220/221).

Contacted the company this morning to find out.
1. Why is there no QC at the plant that should have caught this? I have a hard time believing this has not happened before.
2. If a sharp metal piece of equipment that injects turkeys is missing and probably in someones turkey, why was there no recall?
3. How do they propose to make this right?
I have no aspiration of benefiting financially. No one was injured, but if it had broken off closer to the tip, someone could have been badly injured. Just want to know how this happened and how they are going to make it right.

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 08:08 PM

No one would eat that part of the turkey, so no one ate the metal piece, thankfully. But, if he wants a free bird or something, why mail a letter and the metal piece to the company? Then they have the metal piece and you have nothing to prove that there was a metal piece in the turkey you bought. That’s all I’m saying.

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by John Peebles

Contacted the company this morning to find out.
1. Why is there no QC at the plant that should have caught this? I have a hard time believing this has not happened before.
2. If a sharp metal piece of equipment that injects turkeys is missing and probably in someones turkey, why was there no recall?
3. How do they propose to make this right?
I have no aspiration of benefiting financially. Just want to know how this happened and how they are going to make it right.

Good luck.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 08:10 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
[Linked Image]

Thats how my MIL cooks one. And then she says it is falling off the bone!
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 09:04 PM

wonder if they have x-ray or metal detection on their production line,

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 09:07 PM

You don’t send your only hard evidence to the company you’re complaining to. [/quote]

I see no problem that anyone is going to benefit financially from (well not more than 220/221). [/quote]

that was my tongue in cheek response.

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 09:24 PM

Just want to know how this happened and how they are going to make it right.

What in your opinion would "make it right"? What are your damages or monetary losses? Replace the Turkey may be within reason. You would think they would at least be apolgetic and offer to replace it.

In the least, I would let the producer know that I would never buy that brand again. What brand was it by the way?

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Davis

Just want to know how this happened and how they are going to make it right.

What in your opinion would "make it right"? What are your damages or monetary losses? Replace the Turkey may be within reason. You would think they would at least be apolgetic and offer to replace it.

In the least, I would let the producer know that I would never buy that brand again. What brand was it by the way?

At the very least a replacement turkey and letter of apology. If it was my decision to make, it would be a turkey for Christmas and one for Thanksgiving next year, along with a letter of apology. Having been in the service industry, it's always best to go above and beyond customer expectations when it comes to something that is your fault.
As for the brand of turkey, it was not butterball, but I will wait for their response before deciding to post what brand it was.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 10:49 PM

i would have just told everyone that you killed it in the wild with a blow gun.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by senko9S
i would have just told everyone that you killed it in the wild with a blow gun.

roflmao

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/02/19 11:28 PM

At the very least a replacement turkey and letter of apology. If it was my decision to make, it would be a turkey for Christmas and one for Thanksgiving next year, along with a letter of apology. Having been in the service industry, it's always best to go above and beyond customer expectations when it comes to something that is your fault.
As for the brand of turkey, it was not butterball, but I will wait for their response before deciding to post what brand it was.

Fair enough. I agree and wish you well in this. Keep us updated.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/03/19 12:28 AM

When you get free turkey legs for life, send some my way.
Posted By: SgtDag

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/03/19 01:08 AM

I’ve thought about this for a couple days and my first thought was, “who gives a rats, just chalk it up” but now after a couple days I might feel different. My issue is, if it’s a big company that produces turkeys on a mass quantity, whether machine or by human injection, it would have been noticed an injector broke. If human, you need a new one...if machine liquid is spewing everywhere and you need to replace. The fact that this wasn’t
Investigated, to my knowledge, disturbs me. Although an injury is not likely it could happen and that possibility scared me to an extent. Quality control is so important these days and I do not see how this could have been overlooked.

I don’t believe in looking out for a handout but after a few days thinking about this I would have some serious words with some folks at their company and how they review their quality control. If someone was actually injured because of this it would piss me off beyond belief. I would expect at the least a very decent apology from someone other than a CS rep 2cents
Posted By: SheldonS

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/03/19 01:50 AM

Seasonal employees and high production rates. It’s not something you would typically use a metal detector in the process. Probably happened at 4 in the morning and with exhausted workers.

That was a big machine and not easy to notice a missing injector.

Let them know and send a photo. They will apologize and probably give you a free turkey or something.

I work in a lot of process industries. Plus the summer between high school and college I worked in a Tyson’s plant cutting up chicken. That was a big motivator to study hard and not quit.

As many of you may know I travel a lot and have eaten many exotic foods. Some of you were grossed out when I posted pics but would happily eat a hot dog, meat product, or even burger from a chain. If you only knew....
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/03/19 02:09 AM

No harm no fowl.

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/03/19 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by SgtDag
I’ve thought about this for a couple days and my first thought was, “who gives a rats, just chalk it up” but now after a couple days I might feel different. My issue is, if it’s a big company that produces turkeys on a mass quantity, whether machine or by human injection, it would have been noticed an injector broke. If human, you need a new one...if machine liquid is spewing everywhere and you need to replace. The fact that this wasn’t
Investigated, to my knowledge, disturbs me. Although an injury is not likely it could happen and that possibility scared me to an extent. Quality control is so important these days and I do not see how this could have been overlooked.

I don’t believe in looking out for a handout but after a few days thinking about this I would have some serious words with some folks at their company and how they review their quality control. If someone was actually injured because of this it would piss me off beyond belief. I would expect at the least a very decent apology from someone other than a CS rep 2cents

I think we're on the same page here SgtDag, that's kinda why I waited a few days to post this. The more I thought about it the more it pissed me off that they would let something like this slide. As I said in the OP, someone had to know it had broken off in a turkey. I also found out by accident that it is magnetized which seems strange.
We didn't let it ruin our Thanksgiving, luckily my wife had a couple of chickens in the fridge and fried it so everyone had plenty to eat. But at this point I just want to get an explanation as to how it happened and got by QC.
No reply from the company yet.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/03/19 03:50 PM

Remember the "Pony" Miller lights? Got one once that had a roach in it. Talk about a turn off. Carried it to a local distributor and got a free case. Funny how quickly I forgot about that roach.
Posted By: silvers

Re: Found a 3" steel spike in our Thanksgiving turkey - 12/03/19 04:09 PM

Frivolous lawsuits, that’s what makes America great
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum