Texas Fishing Forum

Curiosity poll

Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Curiosity poll - 11/21/19 04:26 PM

since the prevalence is so high now, do you know someone who is on the autism spectrum?
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 04:34 PM

Several
Posted By: Roller22

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 04:35 PM

Friend has a son who on the worse end of autism. I employed a young man with minor autism who was a college graduate. I've been around both ends of the spectrum.

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Roller22
Friend has a son who on the worse end of autism. I employed a young man with minor autism who was a college graduate. I've been around both ends of the spectrum.

it's VERY wide.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 04:39 PM

My grandson-

I truly believe the stress of dealing with this led to the divorce between my son and his wonderful wife-
Each child is different but if you don’t have a child in your life affected by this you cannot understand, I never did before-
Life as you know it will never be the same as “before”-

And I really really appreciate the compassion that Dan is showing towards his neighbors-
It’s obvious there are many who do not feel the same way.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 04:43 PM

My nephew is highly functional with his autism. Honor roll student and a star football player. Very proud of what he has accomplished with the help from a strong mother.
Posted By: Flyfisherman

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 04:57 PM

My little brother is on the extreme end of the spectrum. He has his own house with a full-time staff. He loves it, but it's definitely not the most affordable option.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 05:01 PM

I am not aware of anyone I know personally that deals with Autism
Posted By: TR176

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 05:01 PM

Curiosity pole would be a good name for club.

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by TR176
Curiosity pole would be a good name for club.

laugh
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 05:03 PM

I have a cousin that’s a year younger than me and has Autism that resides in Chicagoland area(Mt. Prospect). They’re coming down for Thanksgiving. He loves him some bingo so, we’re going out Friday after Thanksgiving.

Cool story: On 2 separate Thanksgivings, we gathered at my late Aunts place(s), which they resided on the San Bernard River/Columbia Lakes and if I knew he was coming, I’d rig up a telescopic cane pole just for him to fish with. 1st time: He was doodling his pole in the water under some lights, with a split shot and a gold hook-Hooks a 20” Flounder, lol. No bait. 2nd: On a golf course pond, I cast netted some bream for bait, he catches a 7+ lb Bass. I love my cuz.

He’s on the high end of the spectrum, doesn’t speak much/show expression but he is loved and that’s what matters.
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 05:06 PM

A good friend of mine's son is on the high functioning end of the spectrum. I don't think it's any more prevalent than it has ever been, it's just much better understood now.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 05:15 PM

Does it effect girls as much as boys? Every one on here who has posted as referred to the person with autism, as a male.
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 05:21 PM

Treat them like I would anybody else especially kids . I have a little man in my life whose mother was not cut out for the task at hand and I take him out and do stuff with him whenever I can she treats him like he’s helpless which is not the case at all . Yah when I take him somewhere different I have to drag him kicking and screaming but once he’s there he gets pished off cuz your leaving . bought him some cowboy boots just like uncle nicks wink thought the kid was going to pass out from the excitement he wore them bad boys all over the place for weeks couldn’t get him to take them off haha
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 05:21 PM

My son is high functioning, he never forgets anything, pretty amazing.

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fishin' Nut
Does it effect girls as much as boys? Every one on here who has posted as referred to the person with autism, as a male.

I've known both. there do seem to be more boys though.
Posted By: Flyfisherman

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fishin' Nut

Almost everyone on my dad's side of the family has Asperger's, including the women.
Posted By: mstring

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 05:40 PM

I voted no. I know a few people that have Autistic kids, but I don't know the kids.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by TexDawg
I am not aware of anyone I know personally that deals with Autism

Me either, currently.

I went to college with a kid who had Asperger’s back before it was removed from the spectrum or whatever happened to the classification of it.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 07:38 PM

Curiosity pole sounds like something you would find in a strip club.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 07:45 PM

My son is mildly autistic and suffers from mild Asperger’s syndrome as well.

He’s 25yrs old and I think I will always have a son living at home. Haha. He’s extremely intelligent and was an Honor student in high school. He just doesn’t function well with people. He cannot make eye contact or carry on a conversation with someone that he hasn’t known for quite a while. This also makes it hard for him to have decent employment.

Encouraging though, is his desire to return to school to earn a degree in health care. So....maybe there’s an outside chance.
Posted By: Icepick

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 10:17 PM

My daughter was diagnosed at age 3.
She's considered high functioning.
She's never had close friends. Never been on a date. Always preferred being alone as much as possible.
As unusual as these things are, she's one of the happiest people I have ever known.
She graduates high school with the class of 2020.

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Icepick
My daughter was diagnosed at age 3.
She's considered high functioning.
She's never had close friends. Never been on a date. Always preferred being alone as much as possible.
As unusual as these things are, she's one of the happiest people I have ever known.
She graduates high school with the class of 2020.

Good point. I feel bad my son has no real friends, but he's perfectly happy with it. Congratulations sir!
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 10:28 PM

can't say I know anyone personally who has it. Chick in our SS class at church swears her son is, but she's kinda of a nut. I think the kid is fine just needs some discipline.
Posted By: Pilothawk

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 10:32 PM

We did not have it when I was in school.

We did, however, have an assistant principal who had a boat paddle with hole drilled in it.

From appearances, it seemed pretty effective.
Posted By: Icepick

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pilothawk

We did, however, have an assistant principal who had a boat paddle with hole drilled in it.

No offense PH, but I believe you are confusing autism with ADHD.

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Icepick
Originally Posted by Pilothawk

No offense PH, but I believe you are confusing autism with ADHD.

Yes. Vastly different.
Posted By: DavidWhatley

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 10:42 PM

My 27 yr old step son lives with us. He doesnt have Autism but has something similar. Mentally he is rated between 3-7 depending on what the subject matter is. Everyone is his friend.

Re: Curiosity pole - 11/21/19 10:44 PM

https://www.autismspeaks.org/
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum