Texas Fishing Forum

Houston Spygate

Posted By: junbengreat

Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 12:20 AM

What a bunch of cheaters

Astros stealing signs
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 12:24 AM

Couldn’t out cheat the team from Washington. Imagine that.
Posted By: 2014NITROZ-7

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 12:53 AM

I knew the Rangers pitching wasn't that bad. Dang cheaters.LOL
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 12:59 AM

Not surprised, i think they were caught a few years back also
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Smurfs
Not surprised, i think they were caught a few years back also

Been rumors for years, but I don’t think they were ever caught or disciplined by the league.
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 01:07 AM

meh...... rolleyes
Posted By: Space

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 01:22 AM

All bs never proven. poor losers.

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Space
All bs never proven. poor losers.

roflmao

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 02:03 AM

Jomboy on twitter has a video breakdown and it doesn’t look good.
Posted By: junbengreat

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

Can you link it

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by junbengreat

Can you link it

It has language. Just go to twitter, even if you don’t have an account, and search for @jomboy.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 02:35 AM

How are they stealing signs? I couldn’t get the link to load. But teams stealing signs has been around forever and I don’t look at it as cheating but good observation. Just like poker players looking for telltales.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by BrandoA
How are they stealing signs? I couldn’t get the link to load. But teams stealing signs has been around forever and I don’t look at it as cheating but good observation. Just like poker players looking for telltales.

Camera in center field stands, monitor in dugout, per the accusation. Sign stealing by a runner at second base is one thing, but using tech to do it is not acceptable.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 02:41 AM

If you ain't cheat'in you ain't tryin...……….Go Astros

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 02:45 AM

Via a camera in center and a video monitor in the dugout, then they relay the sign to the batter, sometimes via whistling, sometimes by banging on a trash can, according to the video I mentioned.

Stealing signs the old fashioned way is fine. Stealing them electronically is clearly against the rules.
Posted By: H.Town_paddler

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 03:14 AM

If true what a [censored] move by the Astros. Did they not think at some point a player would be traded on bad terms and then come out with this?
Posted By: Icepick

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 03:50 AM

So they were cheating and still lost? roflmao
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 04:02 AM

Via a camera in center and a video monitor in the dugout, then they relay the sign to the batter, sometimes via whistling, sometimes by banging on a trash can, according to the video I mentioned.

Stealing signs the old fashioned way is fine. Stealing them electronically is clearly against the rules.

And it really helped the Astros a lot! Go figure. nuts
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 04:05 AM

So is the ex Astro who brought these accusations out supposed to be reformed? He was fine with It when it was his team cheating. It would be in his best interest to not bat against Houston next season.
Posted By: Bass Bug

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 04:11 AM

i thought Hinch was a class guy, appears to no be so..
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bass Bug
i thought Hinch was a class guy, appears to no be so..

I was thinking the same! hmmm
Posted By: H.Town_paddler

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by outfishdya
So is the ex Astro who brought these accusations out supposed to be reformed? He was fine with It when it was his team cheating. It would be in his best interest to not bat against Houston next season.

I think he’s a pitcher so that’s not a worry. Also probably why he’s against it in the first place.

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by H.Town_paddler

I think he’s a pitcher so that’s not a worry. Also probably why he’s against it in the first place.

Yep
Posted By: John Peebles

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by H.Town_paddler

Yep

They hit better on the road than at home, where the cheating was supposedly going on. Nothing Burger!
Go Stros!!!
Posted By: Team Skeeterless

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 07:06 AM

Bottom line as player thru college if teams pick up signs or pitcher is tipping then it’s their fault. If they are using tech and cameras to steal signs then if I was coach there would be lots of high and in’s and likely several hit batters! Figuring signs out or catching tells from pitchers is part of game but tech to gain advantage is bs!!
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 10:51 AM

Pretty good assessment especially the last statement.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 01:13 PM

And see the Dodger pitching staff in 2017 thought the PITCHERS, Darvish and Kershaw especially, were tipping their pitches since it looked like the hitters knew what was coming so often.

Houston staying classy as always. This news does not surprise me.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 01:21 PM

Nothing new. They were just ratted out. Another iteration of analytics in a game that is overanalyzed as it is.,,and I love baseball.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 01:41 PM

Cowboys could use some of that moxie.
Posted By: Keystone

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 04:03 PM

Most if not all teams try to steal signs .During my high school playing days in the year 1812 lol..
Our third base coach when he could see the catcher's signs #1 fastball #2 curve ball, when a fastball was coming he would call you by your first name..Example, let's go Mickey watch it over now.first name meaning fast ball on the way...#2 Let's go Mantle watch it over you can do it..curveball coming,also other verbiage Pick you out one..1 fastball coming, also coming too you now be ready..two..curve ball coming,nothing new been going on a long time.
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Keystone
Most if not all teams try to steal signs .During my high school playing days in the year 1812 lol..
Our third base coach when he could see the catcher's signs #1 fastball #2 curve ball, when a fastball was coming he would call you by your first name..Example, let's go Mickey watch it over now.first name meaning fast ball on the way...#2 Let's go Mantle watch it over you can do it..curveball coming,also other verbiage Pick you out one..1 fastball coming, also coming too you now be ready..two..curve ball coming,nothing new been going on a long time.

Coaches and/or players stealing signs is one thing stealing them electronically as described is completely different.

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hard Rain

Coaches and/or players stealing signs is one thing stealing them electronically as described is completely different.

True however back in those days we didn't have electronics,but if we did I'm sure they would have been used..Sad when a team is great some will try anything to disrupt them, kinna like the New England Patriots inflated football it wouldn't have mattered if water balloons were used.

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hard Rain

True however back in those days we didn't have electronics,but if we did I'm sure they would have been used..Sad when a team is great some will try anything to disrupt them, kinna like the New England Patriots inflated football it wouldn't have mattered if water balloons were used.

Dodgers pitching coaches were sure the pitchers were tipping their pitches... how else could Houston have been so often sitting on pitches like they knew it was coming? Time and time again?

Guess now we know.

I am sure they will pay some fines and things will move on...but nice that they cheated to get their one ever title. Very nice.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 06:20 PM

Curious to see where this goes in the coming weeks.... if it can be proven I think MLB will come down on them pretty hard.

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by buda13
Curious to see where this goes in the coming weeks.... if it can be proven I think MLB will come down on them pretty hard.

I am too. I’m most curious about a punishment and who is punished. Surely, front office will be punished, as well as players and coaches. I mean, how would the players get a camera feed from centerfield to a monitor in the dugout without the manager, coaches, GM and everyone else on the team not knowing?

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 07:15 PM

I am too. I’m most curious about a punishment and who is punished. Surely, front office will be punished, as well as players and coaches. I mean, how would the players get a camera feed from centerfield to a monitor in the dugout without the manager, coaches, GM and everyone else on the team not knowing?

Could it be Nolan Ryan knew this was coming and got out?

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 07:24 PM

Maybe...that would be interesting.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 07:38 PM

Cheating and stealing at Enron Field. Shocking.
Posted By: Mark C

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
also nice that they cheated to get their one ever title. Very nice.

Exactly. Scumbags.
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 08:09 PM

The people who are saying this kind of cheating is “no big deal” are the same people who want a Congressional investigation when their little Johnny plays in a jr high football game and there’s a hint of an opposing player being illegally recruited
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 09:02 PM

Who really cares?

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by bloo_rainger
Who really cares?

People who like baseball. Who comments on a thread of no interest to them? You.

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/13/19 10:00 PM

Who really cares?

roflmao
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/14/19 12:44 AM

Who really cares?

You can bite me sir! I have interest, just very little...

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/14/19 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Scagnetti
The people who are saying this kind of cheating is “no big deal” are the same people who want a Congressional investigation when their little Johnny plays in a jr high football game and there’s a hint of an opposing player being illegally recruited

Cheating is cheating. The method here is being overblown. There is an easy fix - multiple signs. If the coaching staff is too lazy to not mix up signs even when there is nobody on base then the responsibility is with them. If you are naive enough to think this is isolated to the Astros then Merry Christmas as Santa comes down your chimney.
Posted By: JRGOCARDS

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/14/19 01:13 AM

The method ISN'T being overblown - that's the reason why it is cheating. Making teams use more complicated signs is not the answer. Hammer the Astros for cheating is the answer. Loss of multiple draft picks and fines should be the punishment. Loss of their top 5 picks this summer and some the next year should be plenty deterrent for other teams to reconsider cheating like this.

JR
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/14/19 01:31 AM

The 5th game of the World Series was won by Houston, 13 - 12. I wonder if both teams were stealing signs.

Speaking of beating on things; I hate when the Astros have to play the Athletics. Apparently, they promote bringing plastic buckets to their games.

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/14/19 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by JRGOCARDS
The method ISN'T being overblown - that's the reason why it is cheating. Making teams use more complicated signs is not the answer. Hammer the Astros for cheating is the answer. Loss of multiple draft picks and fines should be the punishment. Loss of their top 5 picks this summer and some the next year should be plenty deterrent for other teams to reconsider cheating like this.

JR

YES it is...cheating is cheating. Stealing signs is stealing signs...regardless of HOW.
Posted By: John Peebles

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/14/19 02:55 AM

Luhnow was involved in the 2015 Cardinals scandal and now his name comes up again with the Stros allegations. hmmm

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/14/19 03:35 AM

Who really cares?

You can bite me sir! I have interest, just very little...

I, respectfully, decline. If you don’t care, don’t comment. And don’t get upset when someone points out that your comment about not caring has no place here and sounds like whining, because that’s what it is. If you don’t care, you’d ignore it. That’s just good advice. And it’s free.

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/14/19 03:37 AM

And just like that Justin Verlander wins AL Cy Young...while whining about juiced baseball's

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/14/19 03:37 AM

JR

I’ve gotta agree on the cheating part. I don’t know about the punishment part, but it’s clearly cheating. And it’s above and beyond the normal gamesmanship and very clearly against the rules. Blatantly so.

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/14/19 01:03 PM

JR

I’ve gotta agree on the cheating part. I don’t know about the punishment part, but it’s clearly cheating. And it’s above and beyond the normal gamesmanship and very clearly against the rules. Blatantly so.

Hmmm yet you don't hear current Dodger organization personnel saying much...

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/14/19 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by H2O Seeker

JR

What are they going to say? "Give us our title!!"? They cheated so give it to us? That wont happen. So what is to say?

On another note Darvish has accepted about 100k apologies on tweeter lol. Guys who bashed him for costing us the WS are now saying "my bad", looks like they cheated you. And it makes sense...they hit Darvish in that game 7 like they knew what was coming...and they did. Freaking garbage organization.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/14/19 01:48 PM

I'm not seeing the problem, so they tried a little harder than everyone else.

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/14/19 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Originally Posted by H2O Seeker

JR

What are they going to say? "Give us our title!!"? They cheated so give it to us? That wont happen. So what is to say?

On another note Darvish has accepted about 100k apologies on tweeter lol. Guys who bashed him for costing us the WS are now saying "my bad", looks like they cheated you. And it makes sense...they hit Darvish in that game 7 like they knew what was coming...and they did. Freaking garbage organization.

That's the point. They do not want to bring attention their way either. I have no loyalty to either team but the naivity that surrounds this with nothing more than Fiers wanting attention is insane. I will state it again and certainly do not condone it but every orgnization is using tactics to gain an edge. Winter meetings are in 3 weeks in San Diego. I doubt MLB will do anything before then but it will be interesting to see what comes out of those meetings leading to pitchers/catchers reporting 6 weeks later.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/14/19 02:07 PM

Has anyone asked about the timing of this in regards to Nolan's departure?
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/14/19 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by BCBassCat
Has anyone asked about the timing of this in regards to Nolan's departure?

No way anyone had the balls to steal Nolans signs after the Ventura incident
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/14/19 02:41 PM

Good thing Nolan jumped off before that ship sinks.
Posted By: Sixman

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/14/19 03:34 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/14/19 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
I'm not seeing the problem, so they tried a little harder than everyone else.

Honor code?

Re: Houston Spygate - 11/14/19 07:56 PM

Not a fan of the Washington Post but this was a pretty good little piece.

Article regarding how the Nats prepped for it...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum