Texas Fishing Forum

Bodark apples

Posted By: uncle_bagster

Bodark apples - 11/07/19 12:03 AM

Anyone ever scatter these around your house? They are supposed to keep spiders away.
Posted By: Kentucky

Re: Bodark apples - 11/07/19 12:14 AM

nope
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Bodark apples - 11/07/19 12:17 AM

Your thinking of evil spirits.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Bodark apples - 11/07/19 12:27 AM

Are these the same as horse apples? If so yes and it works.
Posted By: Westside.

Re: Bodark apples - 11/07/19 12:34 AM

* Bois d'Arc
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Bodark apples - 11/07/19 01:27 AM

Horse apples ?
Posted By: skeeter175

Re: Bodark apples - 11/07/19 01:40 AM

Yep them is horse apples,got a bunch of them laying around if you wanna keep spiders away.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Bodark apples - 11/07/19 03:08 AM

No but I sure threw a bunch of them as a kid. Its a wonder we didn't kill each other having horse apple fights!!!!
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Bodark apples - 11/07/19 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
No but I sure threw a bunch of them as a kid. Its a wonder we didn't kill each other having horse apple fights!!!!

we made large sling shots from inner tubes tied between two trees and fired them into a pasture, good times.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Bodark apples - 11/07/19 01:52 PM

Good news - they supposedly repel roaches.
Bad news - they most definitely attract squirrels.
Posted By: Chevy4dr57

Re: Bodark apples - 11/07/19 02:24 PM

Google info:
What started as old wives’ tales now seem to be established as scientific facts. The issue involved is whether horse apples from the bois d’arc tree (also known as Osage orange and by many other names) can repel cockroaches, silverfish, moths, spiders, skunks, armadillos, and the likes.
Jim Ainsworth, Commerce, spread horse apples around the perimeter of a barn infested by skunks and opossums. Both species went into hiding in other locales, and the skunks stopped spraying around his barn. Ainsworth shouts, “Amen!” to the claim that horse apples control cricket colonies. Others praise the fruit for driving away skunks and armadillos finding refuge under their pier and beam home foundations.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Bodark apples - 11/07/19 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by JCG57
Good news - they supposedly repel roaches.
Bad news - they most definitely attract squirrels.

I pick squirrels
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Bodark apples - 11/07/19 05:36 PM

Bois Dar'k is the hardest wood in North America.
Most all wagon wheels were made from Bois Dar'k wood because of its strength and durability. Even after it's cut it's strength last most longer than any other trees. Indians prized it for making bows. Early settlers and pioneers prized them as well for making bowls and they would transplant them as much as they could. They are an ugly tree.

Re: Bodark apples - 11/07/19 06:02 PM

Another interesting fact about the Bois d'Arc is early pioneer land surveyors made stakes out of them for use as property corners as they last a very long time, we still occasionally find them and they are treated like gold.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Bodark apples - 11/07/19 06:33 PM

Bois d' Arc also make the best brushpiles; which is why I'm saddened to hear they are clearing so many out of that new reservoir.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Bodark apples - 11/07/19 10:10 PM

We used to fill the pick up bed up with them and race down main street on Halloween with the end gate down. grin

Re: Bodark apples - 11/07/19 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Happykamper
We used to fill the pick up bed up with them and race down main street on Halloween with the end gate down. grin

If there was a way to drop the tailgate from the inside, that would work great for those who like to ride your bumper.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Bodark apples - 11/07/19 10:59 PM

Those things are sticky.how would you fish a bda brushpile?

Re: Bodark apples - 11/07/19 11:08 PM

They play hell on a chainsaw
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Bodark apples - 11/09/19 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by bradnitro175
Those things are sticky.how would you fish a bda brushpile?

Fish just above them or around the outside.
Posted By: Roller22

Re: Bodark apples - 11/09/19 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Westside.
They play hell on a chainsaw

Indeed, only cut one small tree and it cost me 3 chains needing sharpened.

Good info on insects, did not know this.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Bodark apples - 11/09/19 07:59 PM

Isn't that the wood that the Arc was made of?
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Bodark apples - 11/09/19 08:07 PM

Knew of a guy in Arkansas that made duck calls from the wood. Had a great tone and was not affected by the weather.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Bodark apples - 11/09/19 09:22 PM

Another interesting fact about the Bois d'Arc is early pioneer land surveyors made stakes out of them for use as property corners as they last a very long time, we still occasionally find them and they are treated like gold.

i would love to find 1 of those

at the family farm, in Melissa
they are on each corner of the house & porches
they are from 1890 & still hard as a rock
(in 2004, when they sold it, at least)

Re: Bodark apples - 11/09/19 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by butch sanders

Do you mean as support for the house and porches? If so that is awesome

Re: Bodark apples - 11/09/19 10:20 PM

During the dust bowl, there was thousands of these trees planted in the OK shelter belts. Farmers have removed many of the shelter belts, so now they're getting harder to find.
Posted By: Choogie Chunker

Re: Bodark apples - 11/10/19 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by David Welcher
Bois Dar'k is the hardest wood in North America.
Most all wagon wheels were made from Bois Dar'k wood because of its strength and durability. Even after it's cut it's strength last most longer than any other trees. Indians prized it for making bows. Early settlers and pioneers prized them as well for making bowls and they would transplant them as much as they could. They are an ugly tree.

I remember one at my grandmothers place and the big green ‘apples’. Don’t think I’ve seen but one since and it’s been a long time. Are they the same as an ironwood tree? I remember those from later in childhood but don’t know if they are the same. I do know an ax would just bounce off an ironwood and barely scratch it.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Bodark apples - 11/11/19 01:13 AM

Where would I find some of these horse apples to put around my house? The damn spiders are about to carry us off. Those big "ol" wolf spiders chase the new batch of kittens around the yard.
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Bodark apples - 11/11/19 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by machinist
Where would I find some of these horse apples to put around my house? The damn spiders are about to carry us off. Those big "ol" wolf spiders chase the new batch of kittens around the yard.

I think the idea that they repel bugs might a urban legend . We have one in the back yard that drops several dozen apples every year and the spiders are in that tree and on the ground just like all the other tree's and yard . The squirrels sure do like them though .
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Bodark apples - 11/11/19 01:52 PM

That wood is great for a bonfire if you have plenty of other regular wood to burn around it.
Posted By: JWRid

Re: Bodark apples - 11/11/19 02:11 PM

As a home inspector I would often find cut Bois d'Ark being used as piers in very old homes. Unlike other wood termites will not touch the stuff and the piers were still rock solid. Unfortunately they were not to code and I would recommend their removal and replacement.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Bodark apples - 11/11/19 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by spazm09
That wood is great for a bonfire if you have plenty of other regular wood to burn around it.

Yep - it'll burn hot and for a long time - just need protection from the popping.
Posted By: BridgeportGuide

Re: Bodark apples - 11/11/19 02:50 PM

Back in the day, one of my guys ran one over with a zero turn. Shot out and caved in a car door, had to get the guys door repaired!
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Bodark apples - 11/11/19 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by uncle_bagster
Anyone ever scatter these around your house? They are supposed to keep spiders away.

Why, I like spiders. They kill other bugs. As far as the wood goes it is supposed to make and excellent long bow.

Re: Bodark apples - 11/11/19 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by butch sanders

Do you mean as support for the house and porches? If so that is awesome

yes at the corners

Re: Bodark apples - 11/11/19 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by JWRid
As a home inspector I would often find cut Bois d'Ark being used as piers in very old homes. Unlike other wood termites will not touch the stuff and the piers were still rock solid. Unfortunately they were not to code and I would recommend their removal and replacement.

wow
so they worked for 100 years
& now they are not up to code?
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Bodark apples - 11/11/19 07:00 PM

* Bois d'Arc

yep
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Bodark apples - 11/12/19 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

did the same and even threw them at cars on occasion
Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: Bodark apples - 11/12/19 06:55 PM

You're also missing that the root bark and sawdust if you have any, is dye. And the same insecticidal properties that are in the apples is also in the wood, keeping the termites from eating it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum