Texas Fishing Forum

Eating Roadkill

Posted By: uncle_bagster

Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 11:20 AM

Folks in CA can now legaly eat roadkill. I wonder if they know to cook it throughly after it has been there 10 days or more?

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/new-california-law-allow-drivers-roadkill
Posted By: AmpedUp

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 11:25 AM

barf
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by uncle_bagster
Folks in CA can now legaly eat roadkill. I wonder if they know to cook it throughly after it has been there 10 days or more?

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/new-california-law-allow-drivers-roadkill

It’s the new CA. gubberment initiative to simultaneously feed and reduce the homeless population.
banana
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 12:02 PM

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
popcorn peep
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 12:07 PM

eeks
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 12:14 PM

Had a guy tell me as a kid, when the went to town they circled the roadkill with chalk. Then on the way back the picked up anything without a circle.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 12:15 PM

Just read the article. Not quite so dramatic after all.

It allows for the salvage of unintentionally killed deer and other usable game animals.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 12:20 PM

my friends from PA
ate it all the time
mainly deer
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 12:27 PM

They've been doing that in Wisconsin since the dawn of time. If you have multiple drivers in your family, somebody is likely to whack a deer at some point in the year. Might as well salvage it.
Posted By: willyrdskillyrd

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
Had a guy tell me as a kid, when the went to town they circled the roadkill with chalk. Then on the way back the picked up anything without a circle.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Knew a guy in Mississippi whose grandfather worked at Ingalls shipyard in Pascagoula. He lived in about an hour north of the coast. On the way to work, he mark any roadkill with a circle of spray paint. On the way home after a 12 hour shift, he would pick up any that had not been picked up by scavengers and take it home and clean it. He said they would throw whatever they had in a pot and cook it for a while...Roadkill Stew... bolt
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek

It allows for the salvage of unintentionally killed deer and other usable game animals.

Never understood why states would let deer go to waste. There just can’t be that many people willing to risk their vehicle to purposefully hit a deer to eat.
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 01:04 PM

Isn't this normal way of shopping in Louisiana.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 01:21 PM

saw a guy hit a good sized mule deer doe just outside durango co. and stopped to put it down (he was a tourist and freakin out about it). called gw to tell him what was up and he came and got the deer, dressed it and gave it to a local shelter.

they won't let it go to waste if it is fresh and able to be salvaged, always goes to a shelter/needy.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

Never understood why states would let deer go to waste. There just can’t be that many people willing to risk their vehicle to purposefully hit a deer to eat.

Did you see that contraption on the front of Dfitz truck?
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 01:27 PM

I've known a couple GWs here in Texas that if they got a call and could confirm how recent the kill was they would donate the meat
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by BCBassCat
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

Did you see that contraption on the front of Dfitz truck?

Yeah, I just don’t think that happens enough for it to make it illegal for the people involved in true accidents to eat the meat. I know, like Hop said, that wardens will process fresh ones and donate it, but I still see enough dead and rotting deer on the road to know that isn’t always the case.
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by butch sanders
my friends from PA
ate it all the time
mainly deer

This is true. My Uncle ran a gas station in a small town and knew the Game Wardens well. They would often bring a fresh killed deer to him and he would make venison stew. Always had something to offer folks to eat when they stopped in. Nothing wrong with it if it is fresh.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 04:11 PM

Road kill pizza is a delicacy. Nothing like a little skunk and possum with parmesan cheese, black olives, and anchovies. The anchovies pretty much kill out the skunk taste.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jpurdue
They've been doing that in Wisconsin since the dawn of time. If you have multiple drivers in your family, somebody is likely to whack a deer at some point in the year. Might as well salvage it.

I would not waste my time. In most cases roadkill meat is bruised and bloody. Now sometimes you run across one like my BIL did south of Pittsburgh. He saw a spike stick its head up in the median on IH 79. He got his tire iron out and finished it off. He said it was just dazed and the meat was in good shape.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 06:19 PM

When I worked nights we had a network of people here we would call when we euthanized an injured deer. Game Warden was never involved but I always gave them my card if they got stopped. We have an incredible amount of deer hit when the rut starts.
Posted By: TR176

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by 007fisher

Knew a guy in Mississippi whose grandfather worked at Ingalls shipyard in Pascagoula. He lived in about an hour north of the coast. On the way to work, he mark any roadkill with a circle of spray paint. On the way home after a 12 hour shift, he would pick up any that had not been picked up by scavengers and take it home and clean it. He said they would throw whatever they had in a pot and cook it for a while...Roadkill Stew... bolt

When I was a kid, I drove around moving roadkill from circles painted around them. I did it in FTW and one hour north of Pascagoula
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/23/19 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by TR176
Originally Posted by 007fisher

When I was a kid, I drove around moving roadkill from circles painted around them. I did it in FTW and one hour north of Pascagoula

roflmao
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/24/19 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by leethefishking
When I worked nights we had a network of people here we would call when we euthanized an injured deer. Game Warden was never involved but I always gave them my card if they got stopped. We have an incredible amount of deer hit when the rut starts.

I drive 281 from Hico to Lampassas during deer season. During the rut it can be wild even in the middle of the day.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/24/19 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper

I drive 281 from Hico to Lampassas during deer season. During the rut it can be wild even in the middle of the day.

No joke. Can't even drive the speed limit on a full moon night!
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Eating Roadkill - 10/24/19 07:28 PM

During my 7 year collegiate career in San Marcos, I was often the lucky recipient of those deer. Even had a SMPD squad car pull up outside my house with a 50# hog on the trunk lid. The cop asked me if I knew how to clean that one. Yessir I do!
I always deboned a shoulder and gave that to whichever cop hooked us up with the deer. We had a spreader hanging from a tree in our front yard year round.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum