Texas Fishing Forum

OT Hot Tub Wisdom?

Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/13/19 11:44 PM

Ok, so instead of living on a yacht, we think we want a hot tub. Asking for OT wisdom on brand, features, experiences, maintenance. Thank you.

This should be good.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/13/19 11:51 PM

go whole hog and get a wood tub, thank me later.

https://www.cedartubs.com/classic-hot-tub-gallery-2.html
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/13/19 11:53 PM

One more thing to take care of, spend money on, spend more money on, try to keep clean, then use occasionally, usually just to say you used it since you spent so much money on it. I wouldn't take one if to were free.

My pool is a big enough job. Don't need another.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/13/19 11:58 PM

You will likely get tired of it after awhile
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 12:00 AM

Hot Tubs are stupid unless you have mad slewters.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 12:01 AM

Had one put in with the pool, I have used it 3 times in 4 years. It does look cool
Posted By: Westside.

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 12:11 AM

Do you plan on having some ladies of the night over, get one, otherwise they sux
Posted By: steveiam

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 12:19 AM

We had one put in with the pool, we used it regularly and year round-
Gonna miss it actually-
I’ve never had one of those free standing ones and don’t plan on getting one as much as I’m gonna miss the old one-
Had to replace the heater once but it was pretty trouble free overall, it took just a bit more maintenance while you did the pool stuff-

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
go whole hog and get a wood tub, thank me later.

https://www.cedartubs.com/classic-hot-tub-gallery-2.html

. Would I be dating myself if I said that reminds me of Petticoat Junction?

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 12:26 AM

I have a circulatory condition where I need hydrotherapy. Dr. says daily, but I doubt we’d use it that much. We also have a pool, but it isn’t heated. We love the water and hate staring at the pool during cold months and can’t swim. Hot tub seems like a good thing for us.

Have looked at new and used for the past month. Not buying used- too risky. Will get a model that will last us 20 years. Of course there will be break downs and maintenance- but I don’t mind it.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
I have a circulatory condition where I need hydrotherapy. Dr. says daily, but I doubt we’d use it that much. We also have a pool, but it isn’t heated. We love the water and hate staring at the pool during cold months and can’t swim. Hot tub seems like a good thing for us.

Have looked at new and used for the past month. Not buying used- too risky. Will get a model that will last us 20 years. Of course there will be break downs and maintenance- but I don’t mind it.

wood tub with surround, maintenance is a ton easier since you can put in panels to access areas that need it. use a chemical free system and no chlorine to worry with.
of all the tubs I was around in colorado the wood tubs were by far the best and least hassle. they also look a lot better imo.
click the link I put up and check some out, I like the oblong ones they have now.
Posted By: Popedaddy

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 12:36 AM

Jacuzzi bath tub ftw!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 12:40 AM

Get something practical

Make the garage bigger
Build a deck
Make a patio
Build a work shop

You will use the hot tub infrequently unless you have teenagers
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by CCTX
Get something practical

Make the garage bigger
Build a deck
Make a patio
Build a work shop

Larger garages help with circulatory conditions?
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by elcoyote, esq.
Get something practical

Make the garage bigger
Build a deck
Make a patio
Build a work shop

Yes, just scatter your tools around.
Posted By: Gusick

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 01:29 AM

You can still get a yacht, most of them have hot tubs.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by elcoyote, esq.
Get something practical

Make the garage bigger
Build a deck
Make a patio
Build a work shop

Yes, if you build it yourself, the exercise will improve circulation
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 01:41 AM

I don't like them. To me they are scuzzy like a cheap hotel with dirty shag carpet and a vibrating bed. Hot breeding grounds for spirochetes and such. It is like saying, hey, I left my bathwater for you, hop in.

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 01:57 AM

So much negativity. Did the Cowboys lose today???
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 02:03 AM

Family in PA have one. It’s quite fun to sit outside while it’s snowing and drink wine.

I think you also need a good clear view of the sky.

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by bloo_rainger
Family in PA have one. It’s quite fun to sit outside while it’s snowing and drink wine.

A clear view of the sky is often a challenge in Dallas.

I’ll just be looking at my nekkid wife. I’m ok with that. bolt
Posted By: lconn4

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Davis
I don't like them. To me they are scuzzy like a cheap hotel with dirty shag carpet and a vibrating bed. Hot breeding grounds for spirochetes and such. It is like saying, hey, I left my bathwater for you, hop in.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 05:40 AM

Vibrators are cheaper and do the same thing.

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by 2 Bee'z
Vibrators are cheaper and do the same thing.

roflmao
Posted By: donothin

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 02:00 PM

We've had two over the years. First was back in the 70's and was one of the first in the area. It was a wooden, round with seats and the water was neck deep. Great ambiance and thank goodness it couldn't talk. It finally started leaking and went downhill from there, but that happened aft 15 years or so. We later buila house and added a hot tub on the patio overlooking the lake. Not nearly as comfortable, has to recliners which were a mistake. Better jets and less maintenance. It does not use chlorine and is much friendlier on the skin. Has an ozonator which is good, electric so it stays at the right temp. Brand is Dimension One. We have had it about 12 years with little problem. Very energy efficient. Understand that brand was bought by Jacuzzi and the quality has gone down considerable. No validation of that, but was told by a salesman at the place which still sells them.

Don't use it anymore and need to get rid of it.

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 02:35 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 03:21 PM

Wouldn't taking a hot bath do the trick for the circulation? Then you get to dump the water and start over next time.

I'll admit that bottom pic that Bob Davis posted does make it look pretty appealing, though.

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Floon Swenson
Wouldn't taking a hot bath do the trick for the circulation? Then you get to dump the water and start over next time.

I'll admit that bottom pic that Bob Davis posted does make it look pretty appealing, though.

It would be fun to DNA test the water from any public hot tub. Probably blow up the analytical tool. If you do get one, I would suggest a quality dinkleberry filter.
Posted By: OTFF

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 04:07 PM

Geez. If you are seriously considering a hot tub then ignore 99% of these posts. They are nonsense.

Tubs today come with very good warranties and are pretty much problem free. I just purchased another and love it. I will never not have a hot tub again.

Keeping them balanced is very easy. So simple. Even easier if you go with the salt water. Cost a bit more in set up, but worth it. If you have lots of people then it takes a bit more.

Decide if you want a 110 plug and play or 220. Each have pros and cons. I would suggest getting at least a 6 person, even if it’s just you and spouse. 84x84 is a great size.

220 will give you bigger pumps and more jets. 110 smaller pump and less jets. Again, decide what ya need and then compare.

Tubs are also pretty easy to work on if you go used. New heaters are pretty expensive, but nothing too bad.

I use mine almost daily and love it. Really helps the old aches and pains

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by OTFF
Geez. If you are seriously considering a hot tub then ignore 99% of these posts. They are nonsense.

Tubs today come with very good warranties and are pretty much problem free. I just purchased another and love it. I will never not have a hot tub again.

Keeping them balanced is very easy. So simple. Even easier if you go with the salt water. Cost a bit more in set up, but worth it. If you have lots of people then it takes a bit more.

Decide if you want a 110 plug and play or 220. Each have pros and cons. I would suggest getting at least a 6 person, even if it’s just you and spouse. 84x84 is a great size.

220 will give you bigger pumps and more jets. 110 smaller pump and less jets. Again, decide what ya need and then compare.

Tubs are also pretty easy to work on if you go used. New heaters are pretty expensive, but nothing too bad.

Plus there are the well known health benefits of slowly sipping the film from the surface. That film is called the "essence", and it's delicious. I don't have a hot tub, though, so I sip it at the health club. Very potent.
Posted By: Gusick

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 04:25 PM

James Brown

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 04:26 PM

Then again I pick my teeth with a toenail clipping, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 04:29 PM

Plus there are the well known health benefits of slowly sipping the film from the surface. That film is called the "essence", and it's delicious. I don't have a hot tub, though, so I sip it at the health club. Very potent.

Yummo! Sounds exquisite!
roflmao
Posted By: OTFF

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 04:36 PM

Plus there are the well known health benefits of slowly sipping the film from the surface. That film is called the "essence", and it's delicious. I don't have a hot tub, though, so I sip it at the health club. Very potent.[/quote]

Ok. Ignore 99.9% of posts on here regarding hot tubs.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by OTFF

roflmao
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/14/19 09:20 PM

Always fill with non-chlorinated water. That way you can keep your minnows in it. Maybe even crawdads.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/17/19 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by bloo_rainger

And family in PA gets to take care of it. Best kind of hot tub

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/17/19 12:17 AM

Thank you all for the laughs and the few serious insights. We’re buying a NEW hot tub Friday.
Cal Spa 93x93 Carmel
550 gallons
94 jets
3 pumps
1 circ pump
Steel frame cabinet
Molded ABS bottom pan
WiFi
Bluetooth stereo (8 speakers and sub)
Double filtration, ozonator
All LED lighting

We be tubbin.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/17/19 12:23 AM

Thank you all for the laughs and the few serious insights. We’re buying a NEW hot tub Friday.
Cal Spa 93x93 Carmel
550 gallons
94 jets
3 pumps
1 circ pump
Steel frame cabinet
Molded ABS bottom pan
WiFi
All LED lighting

We be tubbin.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: OT Hot Tub Wisdom? - 10/17/19 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by fishslime
Cal Spa 93x93 Carmel
550 gallons
94 jets
3 pumps
1 circ pump
Steel frame cabinet
Molded ABS bottom pan
WiFi
All LED lighting

We be tubbin.

It's time to dress for the evening - Speedos.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum