Texas Fishing Forum

RIP Lake McQueeny...

Posted By: cocodrie

RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 06:06 PM

Looks like due to dam safety after the Lake Dunlap failure, they will be draining all Guadalupe river lakes 12ft. There goes their private lake with the finest fishing in South Texas. Those million dollar homes are now worthless.
Posted By: 1ShotNoKills

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 06:09 PM

Ooooh nooooes
Posted By: COFF

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 06:09 PM

Caught my PB bass there about 10 years ago. Hit a zoom frog on top of a lilly pad and just about pulled me into the water.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 06:18 PM

Where is this information coming from?
Posted By: Fishin’NB

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 06:19 PM

Yep. McQueeney has always been a winner. Loved fishing all those lily pads with frogs and big old power worms.
I do feel sorry for the rest of those folks on the other river lakes, but McQueeney can pi$$ off.

I have never been treated so rudely by so many people while fishing.
Posted By: Fishin’NB

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by spacejunkie

It’s in the New Braunfels Herald today

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 06:25 PM

Yeah, the McQ residents treated it like their own private lake. Karma I guess... How do you like your private lake house now? I bet there are some people with million dollar mortgages throwing up right about now. I'm just sad about all the bass and crappie and cats. That lake was on fire 24/7/365.
Posted By: Derek ðŸ

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by cocodrie
I'm just sad about all the bass and crappie and cats. That lake was on fire 24/7/365.

I like soft side Coco.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 06:28 PM

used to fish it a lot when I lived in comfort, mcqueeny and canyon were always good to me.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 06:33 PM

GBRA Web site. They are going to start draining the lakes in Mid September! eeks
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 06:34 PM

I read it on TFF

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮

I read it on TFF

Complete letter from the GBRA has been posted by Urban Fisher in the Bluegill Section! (Actually posted related to his post)thumb

Some "Mighty Good" fishing is fast coming to a end! taz
Posted By: COFF

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮

I read it on TFF

Has to be true. Take it to the bank.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 06:39 PM

My 9.6 PB came from there.

Shad colored Bandit 200 next to a cypress tree 400 yards up river from the old bait shop. The next year a flood took out that tree and did not catch a fish in that area ever again.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 08:44 PM

Used to live next door to the old public ramp, good times back then. Miss the treasure island bridge and pads. Even the ski ramp held huge bass at night.
Posted By: Arkansas10 bass

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 08:51 PM

Any pics would be appreciated..
Posted By: gander

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 08:54 PM

Looks like due to dam safety after the Lake Dunlap failure, they will be draining all Guadalupe river lakes 12ft. There goes their private lake with the finest fishing in South Texas. Those million dollar homes are now worthless.
That whole situation is very sad..SMH
Posted By: dafanman

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 08:57 PM

Got my lake record 36.9 blue on McQueeny

[Linked Image]

Gonna miss those lakes
Posted By: Davedave

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by dafanman
Got my lake record 36.9 blue on McQueeny

[Linked Image]

Gonna miss those lakes

Why did you blur that out? It’s just going to be mud now. Show where you were that doesn’t exist anymore, and won’t ever exist anymore.
Posted By: squib

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 09:08 PM

Fished it about 5 days a week when I was in college in San Marcos 25 years ago. Caught lots of fish in general and quite a few really good ones. From docks to reeds to wood to canals to lilypads to hydrilla, that lake had a little bit of everything. Used to fish some weeknight working man tournaments, and it was crazy what it would take to win sometimes. Terry Oldham took my lots of lunch money from me.

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 09:14 PM

Davedave: That is a photo the guide took and edited, or was it just really, really foggy that day grin

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 09:18 PM

Here is a real nice channel I pulled out of there

[Linked Image]
Posted By: flee fly

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 10:07 PM

Nice cats! I would be proud too
Posted By: 206champion

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 10:26 PM

Dang that has to hurt
Posted By: H.Town_paddler

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 10:26 PM

My wife and I drove through some neighborhoods at McQueeny a month or so ago on the way to SA. We were trying to find a lake house. Great area but I guess we’ll look elsewhere.
Posted By: Flyfisherman

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 11:16 PM

Not as good as Fork
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by H.Town_paddler
My wife and I drove through some neighborhoods at McQueeny a month or so ago on the way to SA. We were trying to find a lake house. Great area but I guess we’ll look elsewhere.

Bet you can get a deal real soon

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by dafanman
Here is a real nice channel I pulled out of there

[Linked Image]

Robert you were the "Catfish King" of Mcqueeney back in the good days! I will never forget the story Cliff told me about when his boat motor stalled out and you guys had to paddle all the way down the channel from the main lake. Especially during the late hours at night!

Side Note: Love that shallow water Blue Cat fight! boxing
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/15/19 11:59 PM

Yeah, the McQ residents treated it like their own private lake. Karma I guess... How do you like your private lake house now? I bet there are some people with million dollar mortgages throwing up right about now. I'm just sad about all the bass and crappie and cats. That lake was on fire 24/7/365.

want they go on down the river?
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/16/19 01:54 AM

That’s not a boathouse, that’s a shed on stilts.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/16/19 04:07 AM

McQueeny was my favorite, but then the developers pounced and bought out the only two pay launches and restaurants on the lake.
No more public access and I was sick!
Fast forward a few years and now look who is getting sick!....Not me, I'm over it!
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/16/19 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
McQueeny was my favorite, but then the developers pounced and bought out the only two pay launches and restaurants on the lake.
Fast forward a few years and now look who is getting sick!....Not me, I'm over it!
I’m kinda with you on this. Hard for us to stand with you to address the issue when you did everything in your power to keep us off your lake.

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/16/19 08:46 PM

It seems like it’s not RIP, but more like see you after awhile. Certainly they’ll rebuild the dams at some point, right?
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/16/19 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by leethefishking
Originally Posted by Jimbo
I’m kinda with you on this. Hard for us to stand with you to address the issue when you did everything in your power to keep us off your lake.

I feel bad for the folks on Placid and Meadow, but the McQ folks can EABOD, well, all except for a few of them.

I’m gonna miss having all of those lakes within 10 minutes of my house. Now the closest lake will be Canyon (hour and 15 min), or Choke (hour and a half). I’m considering ending the $200 per month lease on my boat barn next to the ski lodge and just moving the boat down to the coast full time.

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/16/19 09:03 PM

It seems like it’s not RIP, but more like see you after awhile. Certainly they’ll rebuild the dams at some point, right?

GBRA won’t rebuild them. They don’t have the money.

The homeowners on Placid were working on getting a POA set up that could get the financing needed to rebuild, and the owner of Rackspace owns a few hundred acres on Hwy 46, he was willing to pay for the entire rebuild out of pocket if the ramp below I-35 could be closed to the public, but TXDOT wouldn’t go for that.

I’m sure that the homeowners on McQ will try to do something along those same lines.

But, I’m 100% certain that there are tree huggers desperately searching for an endangered blind salamander near the dams that can get a lawsuit started in order to prevent a rebuild from happening.
Posted By: Jack Daniels

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/17/19 12:54 PM

A couple of things.

Lake McQueeney is not a private lake. There is a public boat ramp. Those that know, know. In April of 1993 Guadalupe court ruled it was a public boat ramp. Can't be sold and can't be closed. You may ask why I didn't know about a public boat ramp? Same reason people don't share their honey hole location.

Yes, there are some "Richards" on the lake. Most people are very kind. So you say it's good that the lake front people are getting what they deserve. Possibly. The big picture is the local business owners will suffer. Guadalupe county will suffer. Seguin ISD will suffer. A lot of people besides lake front owners will suffer because GBRA has mismanaged the lakes and now want to drain them.

I have meet some of the people on this forum at the lake. Either at the ramp or on the lake. I've always been friendly to the fisherman and tried to make them welcomed. The current situation is not good. You can be positive or negative, you make the decision on which. I'm sure the only fisherman I will now see are the kayaks.

Have a fabulous day, unless you have other plans.

JD

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/17/19 01:02 PM

That POS neighborhood ramp off lake creek is no excuse for a "public ramp".
Posted By: Urban Fisher

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/17/19 01:45 PM

I have to agree with this. I’ve been to that ramp a few times. It is very small and dilapidated. You could only launch at best a small jon boat or kayak from it. In addition there is parking room for what, maybe 3 vehicles with a boat trailer?

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/17/19 01:56 PM

Please don't use it then. It has been abused by many over the last 25 years, and none help with the upkeep. You seem to want to bitch about it and not contribute. I go to the ramp several times a week to pick up trash. I put a trash can there once hoping they would use it instead of throwing it on the ground. Yup, someone stole the trash can. I don't come here and bitch about the trash because the majority of users take care of the ramp.

If you want to improve it, come get me, I'll help. Be part of the solution not the problem. Nobody wants to help in keeping it open. So be it.

Doesn't matter since the lake will be unusable for years.

Or, will this the perfect time to get the ramp back in good condition for future use?
Posted By: Flyfisherman

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/17/19 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Daniels
Please don't use it then. It has been abused by many over the last 25 years, and none help with the upkeep. You seem to want to bitch about it and not contribute. I go to the ramp several times a week to pick up trash. I put a trash can there once hoping they would use it instead of throwing it on the ground. Yup, someone stole the trash can. I don't come here and bitch about the trash because the majority of users take care of the ramp.

If you want to improve it, come get me, I'll help. Be part of the solution not the problem. Nobody wants to help in keeping it open. So be it.

Doesn't matter since the lake will be unusable for years.

Or, will this the perfect time to get the ramp back in good condition for future use?

I was planning on dumping a few tires and a car battery at the boat ramp this afternoon. You gonna come square up?

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/17/19 02:06 PM

LOL. Please no batteries. They are harmful to the fish. Please dump the tires on the ramp and not the water. That sounds like a good way to close the ramp. Thanks for the ideas.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/17/19 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Daniels
LOL. Please no batteries. They are harmful to the fish. Please dump the tires on the ramp and not the water. That sounds like a good way to close the ramp. Thanks for the ideas.

Are you aware of how many unwanted pregnancies you are responsible for?

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/17/19 03:36 PM

The Koch pipeline crossing? Yeah, if you’re launching a kayak it’s fine. Otherwise worthless
Posted By: CCTX

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/17/19 03:46 PM

The McQueenies shouldn’t worry
There’s probably some high powered judge and/or government officials with property there that will get GBRA to reconsider their options

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/17/19 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by collincountytx
The McQueenies shouldn’t worry
There’s probably some high powered judge and/or government officials with property there that will get GBRA to reconsider their options

Nope. None of our judges or gubmint officials have pull like that. Our state rep tried to get a bill passed prior to session ending that would’ve funded lake Dunlap, but he got shot down. No way they will be able to get the funding for all of the dams.

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/17/19 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by elcoyote, esq.

GBRA won’t rebuild them. They don’t have the money.

The homeowners on Placid were working on getting a POA set up that could get the financing needed to rebuild, and the owner of Rackspace owns a few hundred acres on Hwy 46, he was willing to pay for the entire rebuild out of pocket if the ramp below I-35 could be closed to the public, but TXDOT wouldn’t go for that.

I’m sure that the homeowners on McQ will try to do something along those same lines.

But, I’m 100% certain that there are tree huggers desperately searching for an endangered blind salamander near the dams that can get a lawsuit started in order to prevent a rebuild from happening.

They should go with a precast dam. That’s the way to go these days.
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/17/19 04:19 PM

I caught my PB bluefin tuna on McQueeny ripping a Spro frog across some duckweed.

It was the lake record at the time but it’s probably been broken since then
Posted By: machinist

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/17/19 04:59 PM

You don't have to rebuild all the dams. Just build 1 dam at the sight of the last one in the system. Take out all of the other dams and make 1 river style lake. That way the ski boats could have their place and the fishermen could still have a place to fish
Posted By: CCTX

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/17/19 05:19 PM

Maybe something at the end of Meadow lake—looks like there is an earthen dam there and then at H-4 outside Gonzales

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JesseX

Re: RIP Lake McQueeny... - 08/17/19 06:40 PM

I'll miss Dunlap. It's only a short drive up the road and it was great for a quick getaway and fishing fix.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum