Texas Fishing Forum

Fairbanks AK

Posted By: 410MAN

Fairbanks AK - 08/15/19 02:05 AM

Arrived last nite un Anchorage, 6 1/2 hours from DFW. THen 45 minutes fight to Fairbanks, Got her 9;30 their time 12.30 our time CST. made for 20 hour be awake time, Bar was still open so we made use of it for 2 hours, Was 58 temp this morning overcast. did the hop on hop off trolly ( which was a 1976 school bus) . Not lots see in downtown Fairbanks. We leave for Mt Denali in morning then float trip on river fishing. Friday Train to Mt McKinley then bush plane to lake up in mountains.
If Im can find another computer to get on TFF I will update. If anyone interested. PS what ever amount of money you think you need bring it and the half more.
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: Fairbanks AK - 08/15/19 02:08 AM

Have a great trip. There is a auto museum in Fairbanks I'd love to visit. They have some very rare old cars.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Fairbanks AK - 08/15/19 02:17 AM

Sounds like a fun trip. Looking forward to a recap.
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Fairbanks AK - 08/15/19 02:23 AM

I thought Mt Denali and Mt. McKinley were the same mountain.

from wikipedia Denali (/dɪˈnɑːli/)[5][6] (also known as Mount McKinley, its former official name)[7] is the highest mountain peak in North America,
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Fairbanks AK - 08/15/19 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by RATZ
I thought Mt Denali and Mt. McKinley were the same mountain.

Its ok. Remember, the Germans bombed pearl harbor. lol

Posted By: Fullofit

Re: Fairbanks AK - 08/15/19 04:51 AM

Me and my wife just got back from Alaska a couple of weeks ago. Great weather and great time seeing everything. I ended up catching all the fish. First fish I had to throw back because it was to big. You can only keep fish 36" or under on that part of the Kenai river. The next day, we fished a different part of the river and I caught the 30 pounder i'm holding up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fullofit

Re: Fairbanks AK - 08/15/19 04:52 AM

That first picture is not my wife. That was our river guide.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Fairbanks AK - 08/15/19 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Fullofit

I need to hire a new guide!
Posted By: DJB

Re: Fairbanks AK - 08/15/19 11:41 AM

We were there 1st of July.90 degrees and so many fires you could not see much. The fishing was still good. You could nt pay me to take that bus trip through Denali again.
Posted By: flee fly

Re: Fairbanks AK - 08/15/19 11:47 AM

Son was based out of the Air Force base there, not much to see there but Eskimo’s huffing paint in front of the stores they got it from
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Fairbanks AK - 08/15/19 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
Originally Posted by Fullofit

I need to hire a new guide!

Or get a new girl friend...
Posted By: don the angler

Re: Fairbanks AK - 08/15/19 12:05 PM

The TV show "Dr. Dee Alaskan Vet" is in Fairbanks. She will go out on a farm call often. The country up there is beautiful and very green in the Summer. The farmers or ranchers have very healthy looking livestock No one ever explains how the cattle etc survive the harsh winters. -40 is not uncommon in the winter.
Posted By: dafanman

Re: Fairbanks AK - 08/15/19 01:59 PM

Has the air cleared from the wildfires?
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Fairbanks AK - 08/15/19 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by don the angler
The TV show "Dr. Dee Alaskan Vet" is in Fairbanks. She will go out on a farm call often. The country up there is beautiful and very green in the Summer. The farmers or ranchers have very healthy looking livestock No one ever explains how the cattle etc survive the harsh winters. -40 is not uncommon in the winter.

Got some VERY healthy Mosquito's too......My late SIL was stationed at Eilsen (sp.) AFB south of Fairbanks and my sister worked at Ft Wainwright until he retired. I spent a few months in North Pole where they lived, back in late 88'. Great in the Winter time. Mt. McKinley was something to see as we flew right close to it going to Fairbanks from Anchorage. Have a safe & fun trip.

Re: Fairbanks AK - 08/17/19 06:46 PM

Its Mt Denali national park. I have pic of The Mt McKinley we took this morning, cliuds went away last night, the mountain is It BIG, . All smoke gone from fires. temp this morning 51 here at McKinley lodge. we get on train about noon to go Whittier get on ship . Its been nice trip, have seen lots Caribou, mooses, other animals. that's all for now.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Fairbanks AK - 08/17/19 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by 410MAN
Its Mt Denali national park. I have pic of The Mt McKinley we took this morning, cliuds went away last night, the mountain is It BIG, . All smoke gone from fires. temp this morning 51 here at McKinley lodge. we get on train about noon to go Whittier get on ship . Its been nice trip, have seen lots Caribou, mooses, other animals. that's all for now.

Would wolfs be one of those other animals? If so, they deserve a stand-alone call out more than mooses IMO.
Posted By: DJB

Re: Fairbanks AK - 08/18/19 12:01 AM

There's a restaurant at McKinley Pass that has a great breakfast. Place is owned by the family of a Texas schoolteacher that she opened in the 60s.

Re: Fairbanks AK - 08/27/19 04:03 PM

( I may not have my days in correct order or times, all goes fast and days seem to run together , so if it seems out of correct order it me.)
We got back to Texas Sunday afternoon, ITs a LONNNNG way to Alaska Im glad they have airplanes.
We spent 4 days seeing sights from Fairbanks to Whittier.Thats where we got on the ship for cruise, Reallly enjoyed the train trip part lots pretty scenery and wildlife. Train food was good and beer was cold. Spent one nite (it was light until 1;30 that morning then little darker until 5:30) at Mt Denali lodge, which is owned by princes cruise lines. Wednesday we were were taking pic of MtMinkley (Denali ).
Thursday our new friends we met called us 7am said all clouds gone can see the mountain clearly, so we go to lodge deck ,sure enough it was a GREAT view . The previous day when we thought we take pics of the mountain it was not e correct one, we found out when clouds moved we were 2 mountains off course. Then a bus ride thru the Denali national park lots Caribou , Moose, birds. 4 hours on bus gets old but we stopped often to see old trappers cabins and miners camps. Next day went on river boat trip, I not remember name of river, trip was 3 hours with lunch served at their lodge . The river is used for float planes to deliver food and meds to the people that live out in the OFF GRID places When rivers freeze it is used for road short cut into town they drive cars. trucks. snow machines on it. I got get back to work for little while I will b back later to add more.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum