Texas Fishing Forum

Harbor Freight Tools

Posted By: JavelinJ

Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 01:11 PM

I was always a skeptic. Then, I started buying some of their air tools. They were cheap enough that if they didn't work, it wasn't a colossal loss.

I gotta say, I am pretty impressed. Specifically with the Earthquake impact.

Anyone else use these?
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 01:17 PM

HF tools are great for homeowners who don't use them everyday. But I've discovered they can't take the daily wear and tear like a DeWalt or other top brand can. I own quite a few HF tools and they are perfect for what I need them for.
Posted By: Donpilot

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 01:37 PM

Their tools are good if they don't have a power cord. Having said that, if you take one back they just tell you to be get a new one. No questions asked.
Posted By: H.Town_paddler

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 01:38 PM

I wouldn’t buy anything from there that my paycheck relied on or that I was going to lay under (car jack). But for misc tools I look there from time to time.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 01:45 PM

Have watched some reviews where some of their hand tools, breaker bar, impacts, and torque wrenches stack up very well when compared to items that cost significantly more. Ill buy some of there stuff but not all.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by H.Town_paddler
I wouldn’t buy anything from there that my paycheck relied on or that I was going to lay under (car jack). But for misc tools I look there from time to time.

I would never lay under a jack at any time.

Where would one get a good jack at?

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

I would never lay under a jack at any time.

The kind you’re looking for are found on a mobile app called “Grinder” roflmao
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

https://www.asedeals.com/jacks/floor-jacks/
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 02:12 PM

most of the screwdrivers / bolt extractors / allen wrenches I bought bit the dust on the first use. I do have a metal shear and Motorcycle jack that have been pretty good so far. I just consider them disposable tools.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 02:12 PM

You never go under anything that has a jack as support no matter the make/model/mfg...ALWAYS use jack stands. I've seen a few accidents where the jack slid because the tech underneath was working away and the pressure of tools slid the vehicle / trailer right off.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 02:14 PM

I bought a smaller tool kit from them to keep in my truck...after the first use both ratchets bit the dust. My next set for the truck will be a name brand.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 02:20 PM

I have the small arc welder for stuff around the house and it has worked good.
Posted By: Gungle

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 02:28 PM

Picked up a 20 ton press 10 years ago, still working great!

Cheers, cheers

George
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 02:30 PM

Alright I’ll be the guy I guess....
Harbor freight tools suck . They always end up completly destroyed...
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 02:31 PM

My guess it is all made by the same 7-year-old Chinese kids.
Posted By: Arkansas10 bass

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 02:40 PM

I've had good luck with all the tool I've bought. Most of my stuff is around the house repairs etc. Name brand tools usually are not required.
I've got a small air compressor that has served well for tires, inflatable toys etc. Disposable stuff like bungee cords, rope, zip ties, Ratchet hold down straps, Duck Tape and the like are usually cheap and do the job.
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Donpilot
Their tools are good if they don't have a power cord. Having said that, if you take one back they just tell you to be get a new one. No questions asked.

Not any more. If you open the box the tool is in, you now have to get approval to return it.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nickbyrd
Alright I’ll be the guy I guess....
Harbor freight tools suck . They always end up completly destroyed...

That’s been my experience.
Posted By: RickS.

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 04:23 PM

Never trust your life to ANY jack. That's why they make jack stands.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by swalker9513

Probably right next to the 7 year old kids making the other brands as well....
roflmao
Posted By: roadtrip

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 05:09 PM

I like the free tarp
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 05:09 PM

One of my lawnmower engine's bit the dust and thinking about getting that vertical shaft Predator engine. It's now $100.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 05:52 PM

Also, if you pick up theirs sale paper in the store, there is a coupon for 20% off any one item.

Can save you some $$$ if your buying something more expensive.

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 05:54 PM

Northern tool is a little bit better . And Atwood’s is pretty badarse too . Sometimes tractor supply , they have the best hardware by the way .
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 06:04 PM

do you lay under cars with just the jack supporting it? I do not even work on the wheels or brakes without jack stands. Roommate from college had his Bug fall on his arm. Good thing his dad was close by.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 06:04 PM

Elliot's may be a little more expensive but if you can't find it anywhere else, they got it. Love that store.
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Originally Posted by swalker9513

Probably right next to the 7 year old kids making the other brands as well....
roflmao

That's what I meant to say that you said more clearly.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 06:11 PM

I wish I had bought Earthquake brand instead of SnapOn. The Earthquake always says “compare to snapon”. I paid over $3000 for the 1/2” 12v impact, 3/8 12v impact, the keyless drill, mini impact driver, and the drill/driver, 5 batteries, and a bank charger.

All I do is send them in and PAY to get em fixed. I could have the same [censored] for a fraction of the costs with Earthquake.

EVERYTHING IS JUNK [censored] NOW DAYS.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 07:12 PM

Northern tool is a little bit better . And Atwood’s is pretty badarse too . Sometimes tractor supply , they have the best hardware by the way .

Love attwoods, northern comes in handy for odd ball stuff
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by roadtrip
I like the free tarp

Me too. I have tarps stashed everywhere.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 07:37 PM

The 20% off coupon doesn't apply to some of their brands/products including the Predator engines, Earthquake impacts, Hercules, Lynxx batter powered tools and at least a dozen others.. Read the small print (with a magnifying glass if your eyes are like mine).

I've bought numerous tools ... some good and been disappointed a few times. Bought a 3/4 drive socket set 5 years ago that's been a great buy. Also bigger items include Bauer 20V drill (charger went out), 21 gallon upright compressor still going after 3 years, Earthquake 12V right angle battery powered ratchet, and assorted other hand tools,tarps, ratchet straps. I'm 98% satisfied with them all. I bought the 40V Lynxx pole saw and its freakin awesome.
Posted By: MBradford

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 07:48 PM

HF usually has pretty good deals on tools you can't find elsewhere:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RickS.

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 07:52 PM

Depends on what tool really. I use their spray guns when I have some oddball color that I don't keep in a pressure pot. They hold up pretty good for $20. Spray fine for the application I'm using it for. I replace them about once a year. That being said. These aren't in use all day everyday. Probably about a gallon to gallon and a half a week tops.
I've used some of their other stuff. Hand tools seem alright. Air tools seem alright. Their little shop stool is solid. I don't think I've ever used a power tool of theirs. They're cheap enough that if it breaks, you don't lose much money.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 08:09 PM

I have two overhead electric winches I bought from them about 4 years ago. Welded them under the roof of our cleaning station at the ranch and use them pretty often from Oct-Feb. They haven't failed me yet.

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI

Love attwoods, northern comes in handy for odd ball stuff
they have good deals on dewalt and welding stuff and they have a cheapo rack if you just need something your not going to use to often. Just put one up in Crowley it’s pretty cool

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by fouzman
I have two overhead electric winches I bought from them about 4 years ago. Welded them under the roof of our cleaning station at the ranch and use them pretty often from Oct-Feb. They haven't failed me yet.

A deer carcass is going to fall on you at some point.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 08:36 PM

If you are laying under any car with just a jack supporting it, you're (for a lack of better words) stupid
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 08:41 PM

Atwood's is really good for work boots, and they run some great Carhartt deals. Sometimes cheaper on guns than anyone else, too.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 08:45 PM

I buy a few things there. been pleased with all of them. I have northern tool right by me, but they suck to shop at. no help whatsoever.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 08:50 PM

I have had a set of knockoff Go-Jaks from HF for 4-5 years...used a ton and look and work as good as new.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 09:38 PM

Oh, here's a good one. My driveway is pretty long and I'm out here in the woods so I wouldn't want anyone sneaking up here to the house. I put a driveway alarm about 300' from the house. Been there 3 years and works like a charm and is an added layer of security out here in the wild, wild East Texas Pineywoods. Btw I take one of these when I'm staying at a public park (usually at Rayburn) and watch over the boat with it. $17 for 2.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/29/19 11:03 PM

Hfreight is a good.
Posted By: texcajun

Re: Harbor Freight Tools - 05/30/19 02:39 AM

I had to customize some wrenches for a particular job. I had no problem cutting and grinding on those cheap Harbor Freight wrenches. The finished product worked like a champ and the whole dang set was cheaper than a single Craftsman or Snap On wrench.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum