Texas Fishing Forum

Arrowheads / artifacts??

Posted By: crankn101

Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 01:23 AM

Anyone on here look for arrowheads or other artifacts?

I have family on Lake of the Ozarks and Im planning on making a trip just for arrowhead hunting.

Post pics if you have some.
Posted By: Davedave

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 01:24 AM

No
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 01:44 AM

[Linked Image] A few I found recently. I look everywhere, have since I was a kid but only have a couple fruitful spots.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 01:49 AM

I'm not real good at finding whole arrowheads where I hunt but I find a lot of pieces. I did find a cool translucent colored one a couple of years ago. I think I know where some old camps are but I've never been serious enough to actually dig for them.
Posted By: H.Town_paddler

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by leethefishking
[Linked Image] A few I found recently. I look everywhere, have since I was a kid but only have a couple fruitful spots.

Dang that one on the right is awesome.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Chris B
I'm not real good at finding whole arrowheads where I hunt but I find a lot of pieces. I did find a cool translucent colored one a couple of years ago. I think I know where some old camps are but I've never been serious enough to actually dig for them.

I have never been into much at all until recently, but Im pumped to go find some. It will be like shed hunting for things that are 1000's of years old.

I had to edit this...I have never found one or even looked for them
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 02:09 AM

I found this spear point while walking along a newly-plowed field. An anthropologist said it dates from the Woodland period, circa 1,000-2,000 years ago. It would been used with an atlatl to hunt larger game. The pinkish streak is from being heat-treated in hot sand.

[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 02:10 AM

Thats awesome!

What type of terrain? Creeks? Fields?
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tallgrass05
I found this spear point while walking along a newly-plowed field. An anthropologist said it dates from the Woodland period, circa 1,000-2,000 years ago. It would been used with an atlatl to hunt larger game. The pinkish streak is from being heat-treated in hot sand.

[Linked Image]

Very cool.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 02:12 AM

[Linked Image]

Sweet! Kansas find? I have read Kansas has some good arrowhead hunting.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 02:18 AM

Edge of a creek. Look for spots that were out of the wind. Texas Indians slept out on the ground so they liked wind breaks. Dont expect to find one just laying out completely exposed. I pick up and flip each little piece of flint I find, sometimes you wont even know you found one till its in your hand.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 02:30 AM

Yes, the field was alongside a creek with high banks, likely a good hunting area years ago.
Posted By: Davedave

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 02:35 AM

Heres the thing I dont get. They used to use that video of that crying Indian trying to make litterbugs feel bad. They littered like crazy. Arrowheads and whatnot all over the place. Graffiti all over cave walls. They were out of control.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 02:36 AM

[Linked Image]
This is one of my favorites. Didnt know what I had until I pulled it from a crevice in a creek and brushed it off. Bout same size as the one in my first pic.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 02:40 AM

One of my friends goes regularly and she has found 1000's of different ones over the years. eeks
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 02:48 AM

The best times to go are semi-early in the morning or later in the afternoon when the sun is at a lower angle. This makes the flint shiney. Then you go check out the shiney rocks. There a lots of places on Falcon, on the bluffs, where you can find lots of atlatl points, but many are broken after having been stepped on by livestock.
Posted By: dobbin

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 02:59 AM

Looks like another on the ground. It looks like the butt of an arrowhead between the thumb and pointer finger
Posted By: a777pilot

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 03:02 AM

Quick question: Can any of you tell the difference between an arrowhead that is a thousand years old and one that was made last week?

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 03:24 AM

Your right. Never noticed that.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Davedave
No

Right answer!

Because you are only out looking for 1000 lb ape-like hominid.

You suck at that BTW.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by a777pilot
Quick question: Can any of you tell the difference between an arrowhead that is a thousand years old and one that was made last week?

Experienced people can from the patina.
Posted By: Pilothawk

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 04:14 AM

Iroquois used this area as a fertile hunting ground, even though they were from Alabama.

Chert from quarries in the vicinity of Dover, TN were prized for shaping weapons. It has been found in Ohio, Illinois, Tennessee and Kentucky.
Posted By: honey hole

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 05:06 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 09:49 AM

Heres the thing I dont get. They used to use that video of that crying Indian trying to make litterbugs feel bad. They littered like crazy. Arrowheads and whatnot all over the place. Graffiti all over cave walls. They were out of control.

roflmao roflmao
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 12:47 PM

I have thousands of points and artifacts. Some from N Louisiana but most from South Texas.
Posted By: Westside.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by elcoyote, esq.

roflmao roflmao

lol_2
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 01:08 PM

I'm in a FB group called Alabama Arrowheads and Artifacts. It is amazing what some of these people are finding here. Too bad you can't pick them up on TVA property. The banks of the Tennessee River are loaded with them, especially after this years historic flood.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 01:36 PM

between here and commerce the south sulphur river is a common search area, apparently they find a lot right after a good rain. there is even a parking area on 50 at the bridge so folks can hike down and look.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by crankn101
Originally Posted by a777pilot

Experienced people can from the patina.

Thanks, I always wonder how it was done.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 01:50 PM

Ya do know that the "Indian" in the commercial, Iron Eyes Cody, was not an Indian. He was Italian.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Westside.
Originally Posted by elcoyote, esq.

roflmao roflmao

lol_2

The North American indians were the low achievers of all American Indians, or as I am want to call them, displaced Asians. The "Indians" of central and south America were the high achievers and the successful Indians, i.e., displaced Asians.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW

[Linked Image]

Very cool.

I agree. Great find.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 02:14 PM

I've walked the banks of the lakes and rivers here in NEOK quite a bit but have never found a full arrowhead. I've found some stuff that had been chiseled on but that's about it. Still looking though
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 02:27 PM

I've found a few but this kid has the eye. No telling how many she has found

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hookem

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 02:43 PM

I have a few arrowheads and a couple of tools. One tool is a scrapper, the other possibly part of a tomahawk.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bissett
I've walked the banks of the lakes and rivers here in NEOK quite a bit but have never found a full arrowhead. I've found some stuff that had been chiseled on but that's about it. Still looking though

They find a bunch along the Arkansas I believe, including bison skulls.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by BrandoA
I've found a few but this kid has the eye. No telling how many she has found

[Linked Image]

SWEET!
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 03:18 PM

Haven't gotten into arrowheads. I spend most of my time searching for gold coins. Here's a batch I found last week.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 03:20 PM

Do those say Ceasers Palace?
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 03:48 PM

I have found about a handful in the hill country. My boys and I now just enjoy fossil hunting along the red river.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 04:41 PM

There are some nappers out there that do a real good job making them. Most to them us a brass plumbing cap which leaves some gold traces which can be seen under magnification. If the napper is real good and uses a hammer stone and a deer horn they can be real hard to spot. You know they are not changing the age of the stone just just the shape of it.
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 06:37 PM

Is it Coach White's in-laws that have some sort of alien burial ground in their back yard?
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by dobbin
There are some nappers out there that do a real good job making them. Most to them us a brass plumbing cap which leaves some gold traces which can be seen under magnification. If the napper is real good and uses a hammer stone and a deer horn they can be real hard to spot. You know they are not changing the age of the stone just just the shape of it.
My dad would knap with a piece of deer antler. His points were awesome. He could knock one out in no time.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/19 10:59 PM

There was a guy that lived in Waco that could make a copy of anything you had for a price. He wore buck skins, had a tee pee that he made from deer skins. It had a fire pit in the center with the weather flap on top. With a fire going in the center the smoke would draft out the top leaving no smoke in the tee pee. Everyone told him he was just born to late in time, he missed his calling. He would make arrowheads and have the professors at Baylor guess their age. He would tell them he just made it and they would say no way. He would them make one in front of them with the deer horn. He was a cool guy
Posted By: Dognot

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/27/19 08:16 PM

I know a gut that can go to his mailbox in the drive way and find arrowheads........almost. I cant find one to save my life.bang

His mother has a collection that was featured in the Smithsonian at onetime.

He went fishing with a guide at E.V. Spence lake once, They didn't catch many fish but he said that guide had a impressive collection.

That was coming from a guy that had seen a lot of flint.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/27/19 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dognot
I know a gut that can go to his mailbox in the drive way and find arrowheads........almost. I cant find one to save my life.bang

His mother has a collection that was featured in the Smithsonian at onetime.

He went fishing with a guide at E.V. Spence lake once, They didn't catch many fish but he said that guide had a impressive collection.

That was coming from a guy that had seen a lot of flint.

Some regions are just loaded with artifacts. My nephews were waiting for the school bus for the first time when they moved to MO and found several arrowheads right there at the bus stop.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/27/19 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by dobbin
There was a guy that lived in Waco that could make a copy of anything you had for a price. He wore buck skins, had a tee pee that he made from deer skins. It had a fire pit in the center with the weather flap on top. With a fire going in the center the smoke would draft out the top leaving no smoke in the tee pee. Everyone told him he was just born to late in time, he missed his calling. He would make arrowheads and have the professors at Baylor guess their age. He would tell them he just made it and they would say no way. He would them make one in front of them with the deer horn. He was a cool guy

This says more about the professors than the guy making the new heads.
Posted By: Dognot

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/27/19 09:53 PM

I think them modern day arrowhead makers are called Knappers.

Posted By: fish4bass

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/27/19 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
between here and commerce the south sulphur river is a common search area, apparently they find a lot right after a good rain. there is even a parking area on 50 at the bridge so folks can hike down and look.

Yep. My grandparents would hit that spot. They had a cigar box full of artifacts. Arrow heads, beads, and a pipe. The stem was broke off the pipe, but they had both pieces of it.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/27/19 10:55 PM

The two on the left were made by a mapper and I bought them. The necklace is one that I found in a plowed field. I have found others but it was the best one. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/27/19 10:57 PM

Some things have to almost be seen in person to appreciate the quality of the piece,
[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/11/20 01:41 AM

I headed out to eastern CO in search of some artifacts. I ended up with a few flakes and one decent find thats either a scraper, or a bi-face preform.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/11/20 01:47 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ifishalot

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/11/20 10:45 AM

The recent replicas are usually a little too "perfect." I have several points, grinding stones, scrapers, etc. I picked up as a kid in the 50's/60's while hoeing and moving irrigation pipe on peanut fields here on our family farm. My Dad gave a cigar box full of Indian artifacts to his uncle, a Texas Ranger at the time, which he had picked up as a kid in the Comyn area between Dublin and De Leon. That was before my Dad went into the Army/Army Air Corps in 1941. I should probably try to get those back from the uncle's heirs while I'm still alive... I doubt that any of the true heirs to those artifacts are still around....
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/11/20 10:54 AM

I find em here locally
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/11/20 11:42 AM

A couple of years back a cousin and myself were out at the lease in Ballinger and were walking back to the truck in a plowed field. We were talking and he asked “have you ever found any arrowheads out here” and just at that moment we looked down and there was a arrowhead. I took him out to the lease during deer season and he had a hard time sitting in a stand and got out and looked for arrowheads and found another one, it was a completely different style from the first.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/11/20 01:54 PM

I know a fellow who did his post graduate work at A&M. He told me they have points by the 5 gallon bucket load donated by families of deceased point collectors.
He assessed my father-in-law ‘s collection from Dawson country. Points from as recent as a few hundred years to over 6000.
He gave two points he knapped from obsidian. Beautiful work , but they look new, I should bury them in the mud for a few years, 😀

Mo
Posted By: silvers

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/11/20 02:18 PM

I have found about 500 unbroken points, I also have found a full Clovis
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/11/20 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bissett

illinois above tenkiller should be good along the banks. catch it at low water and walk or canoe it.
Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/11/20 03:13 PM

The only thing I've ever found was what looks to be the leg of a clay pot on the side of the Nechez river years ago. I've never found an arrowhead.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/11/20 03:24 PM

Nechez or Neches?
Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/11/20 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by fouzman
Nechez or Neches?

I'm a dork. Neches.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/11/20 04:01 PM

wink
Posted By: UTMallard

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/11/20 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by silvers
I have found about 500 unbroken points, I also have found a full Clovis

Let's see a pic of that clovis!
Posted By: DCmac

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/11/20 05:38 PM

Never found one. When I was a kid seems like all the other kids in town found them but not me. There's a few places near home that fit the googled description of where to look but my point finding is even worser than my fish catching.
20-25 years ago DW and I met a traveling bridge construction worker who showed off his collection that he picked out of the dirt working. Absolutely amazing, most weren't broken and they were like works of art. Everything from a quarter the size of a postage stamp to spear points plenty big enough to work on a mammoth or mastodon.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/11/20 05:39 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: UTMallard

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/11/20 06:33 PM

[Linked Image]

Awesome!! Did you find it in Texas? Digging or surface find?
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/11/20 06:39 PM

[Linked Image]

That is impressive. Have you had an appraisal done on it? If it's truly a Clovis, some of those are worth >$20,000.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/11/20 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by bigfishtx

[Linked Image]

That is impressive. Have you had an appraisal done on it? If it's truly a Clovis, some of those are worth >$20,000.

That point would probably grade at G-4, maybe 5. G-10+ are the points that bring those types of values. While that Clovis is very collectible, it's probably worth less than $1,000 imo.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/11/20 08:04 PM

I have not hunted for arrowheads since I was a kid growing up in Boerne, TX. My kids like to hunt fossils. At home they have a flower bed below their window and we call it the fossil cemetery because they put all their fossils, petrified wood and crystals in their.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/11/20 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by fouzman
Originally Posted by bigfishtx

[Linked Image]

That point would probably grade at G-4, maybe 5. G-10+ are the points that bring those types of values. While that Clovis is very collectible, it's probably worth less than $1,000 imo.

Surface find in blown field in Gaines county, I agree with fouzman on the grading, I’m just proud to have a whole Clovis in my collection
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/12/20 01:28 AM

[Linked Image]
This is one of my favorites. Didn�t know what I had until I pulled it from a crevice in a creek and brushed it off. Bout same size as the one in my first pic.

wow
how did you see that in those rocks

bet you are good at fingerprints

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/12/20 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by honey hole
[Linked Image]

that is some really good work
was that from 1 spot?

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/12/20 02:12 AM

[Linked Image]. This just came up in conversation at work. Here are three of the smallest I have ever found.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/12/20 02:15 AM

What type of terrain are you guys finding them in? Creeks? Desert type? Ag fields?

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/12/20 02:18 AM

I find mine in creek beds with gravel after a rain.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/12/20 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by senko9S

cheers

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/12/20 02:54 AM

This, but also plowed fields. Crankn, I will tell you that I looked each of the three times I was in Colorado and never found a damn thing. I don’t know why it’s different but seemed to be.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/12/20 03:04 AM

This, but also plowed fields. Crankn, I will tell you that I looked each of the three times I was in Colorado and never found a damn thing. I don’t know why it’s different but seemed to be.

Thays not good. Im going to give a good try while im sill here and see how it plays out.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/12/20 03:13 AM

We have thousands of 'points' like these, except for the last photo. Photo #4 is a drill. Too bad the tip was broken. Still a beautiful piece of functional art.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/12/20 03:36 AM

GEEZ, Fouz!

What part of the state and what type of terrain?

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/12/20 03:37 AM

The giant white one in that box is a killer. I love the looks of those.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/12/20 01:13 PM

Upper right corner in the box, is that a double tip head or a shaft scraper?
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/12/20 04:37 PM

Dang Fouz, its amazing you get any deer hunting in with a collection like that.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/12/20 05:15 PM

I've missed many an afternoon deer hunt because I found a hot area, Chris! Crankin101 99% of our collection has been found in Webb County, TX over the past 20 years. 1% are from Claiborne Parish, La. up to far SW Arkansas. No digging required in South Texas. Washes, dry creek beds, hilltops, etc. Anywhere you find lots of flint flakes and little white shells. 1% are from Claiborne Parish, La. up to far SW Arkansas.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/12/20 09:29 PM

Thanks Fouz. My daughter is in Erath county and Im trying to point her in the right direction.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/13/20 12:05 AM

I'm going out tomorrow in Euless depending on how much rain if anyone wants to join. Nobody looks in dfw.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/13/20 12:43 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BPbassp

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/13/20 01:57 AM

A few of my favorites found in Webb County, Northwest of Laredo.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...426e9e0_bad9_48e4_9093_023b49f5f726.jpeg[/img
Posted By: BPbassp

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/13/20 01:59 AM

And my favorite of all, found in southern Arizona East of Ajo.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mrs. fouzman

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/17/20 02:24 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

In the interest of keeping the thread alive, a little eye candy.

Check out the compression flaking on the last two. Five of the pieces in the first photo are petrified wood.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/17/20 02:44 AM

I was trying to keep this thread going. I searched for 7 hours and didnt find a thing.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/17/20 12:03 PM

I haven't found any in months

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/06/20 12:01 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/06/20 12:02 AM

I put in over 50 hours but I finally found one.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/06/20 12:06 AM

Nice, very unique looking point.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/06/20 12:43 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

wow
beautiful
it was laying there
right on top

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/06/20 12:47 AM

It was partially covered. I flipped it over like I did hundreds of other rocks but this one happened to be the right one

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/06/20 12:48 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/06/20 12:49 AM

My nephew found one a half hour later. Cool little bird point.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/06/20 12:54 AM

Man, great this thread came back up. I was digging through some boxes of my dad's old stuff and found a couple great artifacts this afternoon. I'll post them up in a bit.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/06/20 01:33 AM

[Linked Image]

Found this today on a wind blown hill

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/06/20 02:48 PM

We were told the bird point my nephew found was a Hopewell and one of if not the first point style in Missouri. Something like 1100 AD

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/06/20 03:11 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/11/20 04:43 PM

Found a handful of broke ones yesterday.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/11/20 09:46 PM

[Linked Image] Found this one today. Hope to go tomorrow after the rain.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/11/20 10:50 PM

nice one!

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/11/20 11:18 PM

Wore out Montell, good find

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/12/20 02:49 AM

[Linked Image] I thought it was older

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/12/20 03:02 AM

I found a flipping drill today, I can't believe it.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/20 06:26 PM

Put in a bunch of hours and miles, I'll post some pics throughout the next few days.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/20 06:26 PM

I think that's a flake knife.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 04/26/20 06:52 PM

so do you follow the river?
thats great

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/24/20 08:17 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/24/20 08:26 PM

[Linked Image]

Nice one! thumb
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/24/20 08:31 PM

Is that an Apamanche throwing star? clap Nice work!

[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/24/20 09:25 PM

[Linked Image] I thought it was older

Perd?

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 06/23/20 11:54 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 07/28/20 06:53 PM

[Linked Image] Picture doesn’t do it justice but found a nice one after our little bit of rain.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/27/22 02:31 AM

TTT

I have found some nice artifacts since moving to Missouri, now Im looking at moving down to the Stephenville area and there are no public spots to search. Im gonna have to change my addiction to bass fishing.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/27/22 03:03 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/27/22 03:05 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/27/22 03:08 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/27/22 03:38 AM

Early morning or late afternoon sun can help you find them. The sun light at a low angle makes them shine.
Posted By: Wool E. Booger

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/27/22 01:15 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/27/22 01:40 PM

My Dad found one of the early Folsom Points when he was a kid around Miami, NM. He had a nice collection of various arrowheads from the area and from Raton, NM. I need to see where they might have gone.

I also took an anthropology and archeology at the University of New Mexico and we learned how to do pressure flaking with obsidian and deer antlers. It is a definite art.

A lot of nice finds in this post. thumb
Posted By: JRGOCARDS

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/27/22 01:51 PM

My neighbor at our farm has thousands of arrowheads. Said he used to hunt them with the same enthusiasm as he has for hunting.

He said he's found some on our farm. Guess I should try to find some.

JR
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/27/22 02:22 PM

Am I supposed to be offended by this topic?
Are sacred burial grounds being disturbed?

"You Mother-blankerzzzz"!!!

Doh! Just kidding...Rock on, shoot on, collect on! IN65

...!!!
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/27/22 03:50 PM

I used to but now I have to look for relics from Guardians and Commanders and I'm not really sure what to look for.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/27/22 04:31 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Bottom one is not an arrowhead but a doodle rock lol they scratched designs in it

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/27/22 05:52 PM

Those are some killers.

What type of terrain are you digging? Old river beds?

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/27/22 08:02 PM

Those are some killers.

What type of terrain are you digging? Old river beds?

Mostly mounds [Linked Image]
We also do alot of surface hunting

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/27/22 08:58 PM

Do you have any pics of the mounds from a distance? Are they 10' higher than the surrounding ground? How wide are they?

People talk about them here, but its all so over grown I dont think most could even be found.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/27/22 10:09 PM

You have to have an eye for it to find the mounds I've been digging for 20 years and can spot midden from a mile away The mounds we dig are slight humps only about a foot taller than the rest of the ground. They are about 15 yards by 20 yards long and in some mounds I'm digging down about 8 feet deep. I don't have pics of mounds on this phone but I can take some later.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/28/22 07:16 PM

[Linked Image]
There are 3 mounds in this field. Just in front of the cactus you can see the first mound coverd in midden. There is a space of about 40 yards between that mound and the other mounds. I have not dug these mounds but have surfaced hunted them and found points on the surface

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/28/22 07:30 PM

WOW! So subtle I would have no idea they were there.

Do you know the purpose of the mounds?

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/28/22 07:37 PM

This is the terrain I’m looking in, from the ridges to the creek bottoms

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/28/22 07:38 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/28/22 07:40 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/28/22 09:45 PM

WOW! So subtle I would have no idea they were there.

Do you know the purpose of the mounds?

The mounds are where they built their fires. They are made of ashes from the fires, "midden"/ non flint rocks, and of course arrowheads and dirt. This is just my guess but I think they had fires going year round to cook game and they either cooked them whole and left the points in the animals or they discarded the arrowheads in the fire/mound. I cannot understand why they would throw away such beautiful blades and other artifacts but as I'm digging through all this ash and midden/rocks there they are.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/28/22 10:01 PM

I have only found a handful but this is one I found in the Dallas area while chasing Sandbass this spring. [Linked Image]
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/28/22 10:04 PM

Man. Those are amazing finds. You guys are certainly clued in on what/where to look. Y’all ever invite rookies along for the hunt?
Posted By: JWfish

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/30/22 05:59 PM

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/30/22 06:03 PM

Yes, It’s the Landona Fossil area. Pay attention to the sand bars. One of my family members goes there a lot and they find a lot if arrowheads, shark’s teeth and assorted fossils.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/30/22 10:24 PM

My first drill

[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/30/22 10:29 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/30/22 10:32 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/30/22 11:20 PM

They grow after the rain. It's the best time to surface hunt thumb

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 06/01/22 05:18 PM

Grew up in a town up in DammYankeeLand with a fair but slow river running through it. I swear, every kid in town except me found arrowheads along the banks of that river. My luck hasn't changed after moving here to the Heart of America.

Wife & I on trip up north to visit relatives and friends overnighted in upstate NY. Went to hotel bar for nightcap, started talking to bridge construction worker. Discussion got around to his workday hobby of collecting arrow heads and spear points. Brought out a couple dozen display boxes, must have had couple hundred all nicely nested in cotton batting. Said that was just the collection from the current area job sites and has thousands more at home. Absolutely amazing the craftsmanship and artwork in those arrow heads and spear points. Finds them working the dirt where the bridges cross waterways.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 06/08/22 01:39 AM

Found one full one that’s been beat up in the creeks for years and a broke one, I’m posting to show some of the terrain I search. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 06/08/22 01:46 AM

you ever stop to think how many indians there must have been to find indian arrowheads all over this country and how much they traveled. I am amazed at how many I found has a kid just in south Arkansas in the bottoms.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 06/08/22 01:50 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 02:17 AM

ttt

Ill post some more in a few

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 01:33 PM

Found this fire popped corner tang yesterday [Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 03:40 PM

If you want to plan a trip to see a great arrowhead collection, take a side trip to Navarro College in Corsicana, Texas. The Pierce collection inside the Cook Center has a fabulous collection of more than 44,000 arrowheads. You can also see fossils, a Civil War exhibit and a planetarium.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 04:17 PM

[Linked Image] Found these out looking for sheds!
Posted By: Marion Morrison

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 04:17 PM

A buddy of mine inherited a ranch in S Texas. Over the years, he found hundreds of arrowheads and tools on the ranch.

He then started building furniture and display cases from bull mesquite trees (off the ranch) he would cut and have milled. He had a coffee table with a display underneath glass, several displays that were framed and hung on the wall. He even lost a king size bed he made from that mesquite.

He was moving and hired a moving company to move all his furniture in a storage facility for about a month. He got a call that his unit was broke into and all that was left was a baby picture of him sitting in the middle of the unit. Still makes me sick to my stomach to this day. Storage facility had no camera's and moving company had no answers. It had to be one of the guys that moved his stuff into that unit and came back to steal it. I'm pissed again just typing this and it wasn't even my stuff.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Marion Morrison
A buddy of mine inherited a ranch in S Texas. Over the years, he found hundreds of arrowheads and tools on the ranch.

He then started building furniture and display cases from bull mesquite trees (off the ranch) he would cut and have milled. He had a coffee table with a display underneath glass, several displays that were framed and hung on the wall. He even lost a king size bed he made from that mesquite.

He was moving and hired a moving company to move all his furniture in a storage facility for about a month. He got a call that his unit was broke into and all that was left was a baby picture of him sitting in the middle of the unit. Still makes me sick to my stomach to this day. Storage facility had no camera's and moving company had no answers. It had to be one of the guys that moved his stuff into that unit and came back to steal it. I'm pissed again just typing this and it wasn't even my stuff.

Hang those *****

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 05:08 PM

[Linked Image] Found these out looking for sheds!

NICE!

This year has been slow for me compared to 2022

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 05:11 PM

I found the point and my nephew found the broke drill 20 yards away. That was spring of 2022

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 05:12 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 05:16 PM

Very lucky on these, a critter dug them up for me...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Patriot7Six

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 05:53 PM

Love this thread, I found a couple in New Mexico but haven't had much luck around here.
Posted By: Canino

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 06:25 PM

Found this war hatchet many years ago near Fredericksburg. You can see from some of the marks on it where it was tied to the handle - they all stop on the same plane toward the bottom of the picture. The back is weighted - material was left on to give it more heft. It weighs just over 1/4 lb. I'm going to do a photo slab/stack of it and some spearheads that will show all the detail.

[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 06:32 PM

People are finding a lot of arrowheads on the Sulphur River in Ladonia along with fossils. Fun place to hunt. I found one arrowhead out there, but have only been once. Best to go after a good flooding rain.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 06:58 PM

These two pieces from where they used to knapp off to make their tools. Found between Pontotoc and Cherokee.

[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 07:08 PM

Added cow and deer skulls for size comparison.

[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 07:15 PM

Very lucky on these, a critter dug them up for me...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Ancient Indian novelty device?

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 07:43 PM

Which one?

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 07:49 PM

Someone called the white one a "Wadlow blade". I know nothing about any of them except what people on facebook have to say

Just looked it up... looks like it could be a Wadlow preform

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 07:51 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 07:55 PM

Tiny drill of some kind

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hookem
These two pieces from where they used to knapp off to make their tools. Found between Pontotoc and Cherokee.

Thats cool, I like finding stuff like that

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 08:03 PM

We dug a little bit this morning and found a few. Of course she found the point of the day
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 08:07 PM

What the heck man. I barely find that much a year and after 100 miles of walking.

I seen Texas has a bunch of dig sites you can pay to access. I might try that sometime

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 08:48 PM

Never found one and can't begin to guess how much time I've wasted looking. As a kid I think I was the only kid in town who didn't have a collection. The area's got several creeks with large fields next to them. Been over them time and time again when they're freshly plowed/harrowed both dry and after rain. I think they hear me coming and bury themselves deeper.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/05/23 11:33 PM

great
Posted By: Flip Flop Fisher

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/06/23 02:50 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

bottom one looks like a tomahawk
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/06/23 02:00 PM

When we were kids Dad would take over to Indiana in the spring after farmers plowed their fields. If it rained recently all the better... We'd find a few everytime we went... The closer the field was to the river the better... Probably had 50-75 at one time... Mom probably threw them away with my baseball cards when I went away for college... Dan

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/12/23 03:03 AM

I found a couple tools and some cool pieces today

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/12/23 03:06 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/12/23 03:07 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 05/12/23 03:05 PM

These things are basic but some of my favorite tools. They are only worked on one side.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 01/28/24 10:21 PM

TTT for another season.

I did find a scraper while hanging my treestand in November

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 01/28/24 11:32 PM

[Linked Image] Found this one a while back. Finally been so much rain here my prime areas are under water.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 01/28/24 11:33 PM

[Linked Image] And a cool little bird point.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 01/29/24 02:21 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 01/29/24 02:33 AM

Heck yeah! You guys will have some great surface hunting down there pretty soon.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 01/29/24 03:32 AM

Man, I would be stoked to stumble upon 1 or 2 of those, true piece of American / Indian history.
Posted By: The Netstretcher

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/26/24 09:13 PM

Found my first one today, completely by accident. [Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/26/24 09:25 PM

Very nice.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/27/24 05:35 PM

Never found one. Bugged the carp out of me when I was a kid. Seemed like every other kid in town found them. Guess I just don't have the eye for it.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/27/24 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by DCmac
Never found one and can't begin to guess how much time I've wasted looking. As a kid I think I was the only kid in town who didn't have a collection. The area's got several creeks with large fields next to them. Been over them time and time again when they're freshly plowed/harrowed both dry and after rain. I think they hear me coming and bury themselves deeper.

Best times are when the sun is lower on the horizon. Look for the "shiny rocks." If it shines walk over and check it out.

edit: Often if you are out wandering around you may find piles of rocks that may still have some char on them or there is a pile that really doesn't look like it belongs there. That's a "midden," basically a trash pile. Find one of those and the odds of finding "shiny rocks" go up a bunch. Also bear in mind that the terrain today is not what it looked like a hundred or more years ago. That 50 year old oak tree probably wasn't there when the Indians were around.
Posted By: Techfisher

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/27/24 08:41 PM

We used to find lots of obsidian arrow heads up around Lassen National Park outside of Redding, CA. My folks had a cabin up by the park and we would find arrowheads along the banks of Bailey Creek which ran by the cabin. After a good flood and the creek subsided is when we would wonder up and down the creek finding arrow heads and tools used to scrape hides and stuff.. My younger sister has the collection nowadays. I miss those days of just wandering along a creek fishing and finding stuff like arrow heads.
Posted By: skeeterokc

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/27/24 09:11 PM

Did the Indians recycle their arrowheads? How long did it take them to make one? How many did they carry in their quiver? Was there an arrowhead maker like there was a blacksmith? Same goes for the bows, shafts and feathers.
Posted By: Grasshopperglock

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/27/24 09:15 PM

Quiver is a European thing. Natives carried the extra arrows with the bow hand.

If they we're quicker then a guy I saw at a gun show, napping an arrow head. Less then 30minutes each.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/27/24 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Techfisher
We used to find lots of obsidian arrow heads up around Lassen National Park outside of Redding, CA. My folks had a cabin up by the park and we would find arrowheads along the banks of Bailey Creek which ran by the cabin. After a good flood and the creek subsided is when we would wonder up and down the creek finding arrow heads and tools used to scrape hides and stuff.. My younger sister has the collection nowadays. I miss those days of just wandering along a creek fishing and finding stuff like arrow heads.
I would love to see one. Anything like an Ishi point? He came wondering out of the woods not too terribly far from there.
Posted By: BobCobb

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/27/24 09:29 PM

Lots of history in Western Ok for sure about Indians
Posted By: Techfisher

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/27/24 09:37 PM

Well leethefishking I will get ahold of my sister in Wyoming and see what what she can find...she is the keeper of all family history stuff...:) I moved around too much in my younger days so family stuff was safer with her...:) I had totally forgotten about the Ishi story.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/27/24 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by DCmac
Never found one. Bugged the carp out of me when I was a kid. Seemed like every other kid in town found them. Guess I just don't have the eye for it.

Always look for flint chips
[Linked Image]
Even the tiny ones because you never know what's under the ground
[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/27/24 11:49 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/28/24 01:39 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/28/24 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by skeeterokc
Did the Indians recycle their arrowheads? How long did it take them to make one? How many did they carry in their quiver? Was there an arrowhead maker like there was a blacksmith? Same goes for the bows, shafts and feathers.

arrowhead makers; yup. great grandma made arrowheads for the tribe
Posted By: Quillback

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/28/24 05:05 PM

If you are ever up by Table Rock and you want to see a HUGE collection of points and other stone tools, visit the Golden Pioneer Museum located in Golden MO. They have thousands of them from all over the US and Central America on display.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/28/24 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by spankyttx

Wow, that is very interesting. I bet she would have been a great interview or a story for a documentary book about her life.

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/28/24 07:07 PM

Wow, that is very interesting. I bet she would have been a great interview or a story for a documentary book about her life.

Thats cool!

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/28/24 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Quillback
If you are ever up by Table Rock and you want to see a HUGE collection of points and other stone tools, visit the Golden Pioneer Museum located in Golden MO. They have thousands of them from all over the US and Central America on display.

Ill have to check that out. Richards Relic Shack in Lake Ozerk has a really good collection as well, its kind of a little dumpy looking place but the artifacts are amazing.
Posted By: Quillback

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/28/24 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Quillback

Ill have to check that out. Richards Relic Shack in Lake Ozerk has a really good collection as well, its kind of a little dumpy looking place but the artifacts are amazing.

The Golden Museum is not a fancy place either, if you drove by it and didn't know what was inside you'd probably keep on going. There are so many points on display that after a while I got bored with looking at them. They have some jade stuff from Central America that are works of art.
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/28/24 09:01 PM

Thats cool!

i've been told a few stories. one is about a great great uncle. everybody remembers the alamo. after its fall, houston hunted santa anna down. houston used a white and an Indian tracker to track santa anna.. per the story, the indian was my great great uncle. houston was pronounced, who-stone

Re: Arrowheads / artifacts?? - 03/28/24 09:35 PM

i've been told a few stories. one is about a great great uncle. everybody remembers the alamo. after its fall, houston hunted santa anna down. houston used a white and an Indian tracker to track santa anna.. per the story, the indian was my great great uncle. houston was pronounced, who-stone

Your whole family history would be quite the historical read.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum