Texas Fishing Forum

Anybody got a Paint Spayer

Posted By: tx_basser

Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 02:31 PM

Gonna start painting kitchen cabinets and inside trim/doors and looking for something decent. I've read several sites on pros/cons of HVLP, Airless, Air Assisted, etc... I used one of the Wagner ones many years ago to paint the outside of my house, but dont think it would have done well on interior stuff.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 02:47 PM

I recommend doing it by hand, and not spraying.

You basically have to turn the room into a spray booth with clean air in and a way to exhaust that air. Clean and vacuum (exhaust air has to be plumbed outside the room) thoroughly. Any dust or dirt left in the room will be attracted to the new finish. Good luck..it can be done, but I'm not sure the end result is worth the effort.
Posted By: DavidWhatley

Re: Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 03:00 PM

If the house is empty, then use an airless and spray. Otherwise roll the doors and cabinets and brush the trim. I've taken the doors off including cabinet doors and sprayed in the garage before.
Harbor freight has a decent sprayer for around 200 bucks. Use a short nap roller for the doors and cabinets.
Posted By: SgtDag

Re: Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 03:12 PM

Hire someone
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 03:18 PM

Graco LTS-15 or X-5
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 03:48 PM

Hire TFFer Darryl Roach - 817-475-3732.
Posted By: RickS.

Re: Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 04:50 PM

The cheap Harbor Freight cup gun works fine for the money in a home use environment. No need to go buy a more expensive gun for a 1-3 time use. Hell I use one at work for oddball colors I don't spray very often. Other than that I'm spraying with a Binks or SATA. Graco isn't bad. Used one for years.
But for a home project. No need to spend a **** ton of money. Dust is the enemy of any paint job. In the case of kitchens, so is grease. Depending on the kitchen design. It normally isn't too difficult to contain any over spray.
Turn off any nearby pilot light.

Re: Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 04:55 PM

After I thought about it. A cup gun may not work very well on cabinets. Most of my guns are on pressure pots. I don't have to deal with an annoying cup to try to get in tight spaces.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 04:59 PM

An airless is the right tool for the job. But you need to know how to use one very well and that only comes with years of experience. JP had the best suggestion.

Re: Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B
An airless is the right tool for the job. But you need to know how to use one very well and that only comes with years of experience. JP had the best suggestion.

An airless ain't that hard to figure out. At least it wasn't for me. I've only used one like 2-3 times. Prep would be the hardest part. Anyone really can spray if they have common sense.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 05:12 PM

You can spay a cat or dog with paint?
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by RickS.

An airless ain't that hard to figure out. At least it wasn't for me. I've only used one like 2-3 times. Prep would be the hardest part. Anyone really can spray if they have common sense.

Spraying walls and fences is nothing like spraying cabinets. Even the best painters still get runs or orange peel finishes on cabinets. Trust me, I've been doing this for 25 years.

Re: Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by RickS.

Spraying walls and fences is nothing like spraying cabinets. Even the best painters still get runs or orange peel finishes on cabinets. Trust me, I've been doing this for 25 years.

Well I'm not spraying walls, fences, or cabinets. I mean I have in the past. If anything that's where I have the least experience. Home repair type stuff. All my 20+ years are in industrial settings. So I'll have to conceed there. For me, I had no problem when I did. To me an airless is probably the easiest to use. But at the same time, there isn't much I haven't sprayed. There isn't many coatings I haven't sprayed. There isn't really any type of equipment I haven't used. So I should probably take that into consideration. roflmao

Re: Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 06:20 PM

I may have to hire Daryl, but I told wife I would try it in a junk door and see how it looks before I tackle the entire project
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 06:41 PM

You dont want to hand paint cabinets, you definitely want a sprayer. I painted apartments through college and we painted cabinets all the time. Hand paint or rolling cabinets is going to leave lines and will take a ton of coats. Get a sprayer, Graco is great. Rent it from a Home Depot for 2 days, it is cheap. Do the prep work (cover counter tops etc) it is a pain but absolutely worth it in the end.

You first coat needs to be Kilz, after that dries then first coat of paint, depending on the color change a third coat maybe needed but you can likely do all 3 coats in one day.

Do not start hand painting cabinets because you dont want to do the prep work for spraying, you will regret that decision (unless these cabinets are in your garage or utility room where no one is going to see them).
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 07:03 PM

An HVLP is the way to go. And watch a few Youtube videos of The Idaho Painter. He's got very informative videos online. I haven't painted professionally in years but still watch some his stuff from time to time.

LOTS of prep work that has to be done right. Otherwise the first scratch will go all the way to bare wood.
Posted By: Winger Ed.

Re: Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 07:12 PM

If you're not familiar with whatever process you decide on- I would hire it out.
That's a real 'high profile' project to be learning on, or screw up.
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 07:35 PM

I hired people to do ours. The first day was nothing but prep work. Every square inch of the unpainted area was covered in plastic.

I should also say that it wasn't easy finding a painter who was interested in painting cabinets.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Der Vorsteher
You can spay a cat or dog with paint?

I have. Hardest part is getting the distance right for full coverage. Spaying ain't easy.

Re: Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by K.D.
An HVLP is the way to go. And watch a few Youtube videos of The Idaho Painter. He's got very informative videos online. I haven't painted professionally in years but still watch some his stuff from time to time.

LOTS of prep work that has to be done right. Otherwise the first scratch will go all the way to bare wood.

KD, That is the guy I have been watching.. anxious to try this and see how it goes.
Posted By: MRR

Re: Anybody got a Paint Spayer - 12/05/18 09:30 PM

If you don't know positively what the cabinets are finished with, there are a few steps to take. First you need to clean all the surfaces with TPS alternative. Then you need to prime with oil based Zinzer or shellac based Zinzer. then sand your primer. After that get rid of all of the dust and for a professional looking finish spray with a HVLP sprayer, Fuji Semi-pro is a good model for the price about $450.00. The best paint We have been using lately is Break Through made by Pittsburg paint or as most people know it Ppg. The Break Through dries fast so you can touch or even sand it after about 20 minutes. It makes a super smooth finish comparable to oil based paint both in hardness and smoothness.

You will need 2 or 3 coats sanding with 220 between each one . Good luck and watch for runs
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum