Texas Fishing Forum

Unclaimed Property

Posted By: COFF

Unclaimed Property - 11/29/18 09:31 PM

Anybody ever tried to file a claim to collect unclaimed property? How long does it take? I filed a claim about a month ago and still haven't heard back. About $400 from when I was in college. Starting to get frustrated.

If you haven't heard of this, check it out HERE. Basically if a company owes money to someone but cannot find them, they are not allowed to keep the money. You pay it to the state of the last know address. The state keeps it in escrow until the proper owners claim it.

This also happens with property. Search for your name on that website... you may be surprised what you find. Rent deposit checks, deposits from cable and phone companies. Oil and gas revenue is a big one. At my old company I cut a $200K check to WV on behalf of a deceased woman for whom we could not find any record of her next of kin.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Unclaimed Property - 11/29/18 09:33 PM

6-8 weeks is typical. Also keep in mind that the state keeps a fee from the money.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Unclaimed Property - 11/29/18 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
6-8 weeks is typical. Also keep in mind that the state keeps a fee from the money.

Yeah, I know about the fee. The really funny thing is that in TX, the money goes into the general fund. So they have already been using that as a sort of free loan, yet they still want a fee off the back end.
Posted By: TR176

Re: Unclaimed Property - 11/29/18 10:03 PM

I have about $6 still there from my prison commissary account.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Unclaimed Property - 11/30/18 03:24 AM

We had 107 dollars in a bank account when we moved decades ago.We filed a claim
Filled out the paperwork and then they said you had 107 in that account.
Prove it.
With documentation which was impossible.
I guess that 107 will be there forever.
Posted By: DavidWhatley

Re: Unclaimed Property - 11/30/18 05:06 AM

Wife recently got about $300 from S. Carolina. It took about 3 months, I think they kept about $30.00 in fees
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: Unclaimed Property - 11/30/18 02:36 PM

I filed a claim for my wife for $76 I think and it was real quick and no fee since it was under $100. On the other hand when my grandmother died the state had $100-$200 of her money and the estate filed a claim. The state of TX would not accept the claim from the Executor of the estate and wanted each heir to file a sworn statement and then have it notarized. They would then pay to each heir, they should have paid to the estate as everything was submitted as needed but it is their way of keeping the money. It was to much hassle for that little of money so we just let them keep it.
Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: Unclaimed Property - 11/30/18 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by blooper961
We had 107 dollars in a bank account when we moved decades ago.We filed a claim
Filled out the paperwork and then they said you had 107 in that account.
Prove it.
With documentation which was impossible.
I guess that 107 will be there forever.

This was my experience with it. There was like $300 or whatever it was that I just didn't have sufficient documentation for. Same story for a couple hundred my Mom tried to recoup. The state probably keeps a fair amount of those funds that way.
Posted By: I'm The Dude

Re: Unclaimed Property - 11/30/18 03:30 PM

Somebody owes my Dad $87 lol
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum