Texas Fishing Forum

Ford V6 eco boost or V8

Posted By: JJ4MEL

Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 06:53 PM

I do not plan on pulling anything more than a small boat or pop up camper. Truck pricing on the V6 is much more reasonable. What are your thoughts?
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 06:54 PM

I have the 5.0. Love it! BTW the ecoboost costs more than the V8
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 06:54 PM

EcoBoost

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW

Really? All the CPO or new Ford's I have found have a more reasonable price than the V8. I like the 5.0, but I was just trying to weight out if it is worth it.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 07:00 PM

3.5 Eco boost
Posted By: Streater

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 07:25 PM

I just got an ecobost and the thing runs like a bat out of hell! I can lay a second gear scratch. Much quicker and more responsive than my V-8, and is rated to tow more. Got it a few weeks ago, but I love it sofar.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 07:25 PM

Chevy, 5.3, 8 speed transmission. Motor drops to 4 cylinders at hwy.speed. Getting 16 in town, 25 on hwy. Have not towed boat any distance with it yet cause the darn lakes are still closed around here.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 07:27 PM

Have a 2012 3.5 Ecoboost and have had 0 issues. Pulls the boat fine. Pretty good gas mileage.
Posted By: TR176

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 07:35 PM

I would say no to generic V6 in a full size pickup but in Fords the ecoboost is the real deal. I have the 3.5 but definitely would look at the 2.7 if I was in the market. I average 18.8 mpg over thousands of miles per the computer and I understand the the 2.7 is even more economical. I have pulled large double wheeled enclosed work trailers that required electric brakes without problem.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 07:39 PM

Get the EcoBoost and wear your AARP card proudly!!
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 07:55 PM

Nothing ford makes is worth wasting your money on. Get a Tundra just like Baby Jesus drove.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 08:01 PM

Nobody likes $800 spark plug changes. Buy a Chevy.
Posted By: TexasMo

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 08:01 PM

I looked at them a lot too.. and at the end of the day, I decided to stay with 2019 Ram.

Love the RAm.. this is my 3rd one... Good power out of the Hemi.. good MPG....

The Ecoboost was nice.. and a very close 2nd....

Mo

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 08:31 PM

Even George Strait knows a Chevy ain't a real truck.

Find a truck and fire it up
Lean on the gas and off the clutch
Leave Dallas in the dust
I need you in a rush
So baby run
If you ain't got a suit case
Get a box or an old brown paper sack
And pack it light or pack it heavy
Take a truck, take a Chevy
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 08:31 PM

I have a 3.5 Ecoboost. Here is my review. If anything with the turbos breaks it's an expensive fix, your MPG will be nowhere close to advertised unless you stay out of the boost, it tows like a banshee. Oh and it doesn't cost $800 to replace plugs, I have had it done twice. 160,000 miles on mine and its been mechanically sound from an engine standpoint.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by JJ4MEL

Really? All the CPO or new Ford's I have found have a more reasonable price than the V8. I like the 5.0, but I was just trying to weight out if it is worth it.

On the standard 6, but not the ecoboost. the V8 is a beast. I still get 20mpg on the highway.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 08:57 PM

Only reason Ford still offers the 5.0 is because there are too many crusty old farts out there that think a pickup isn't a pickup unless it has a V8. Both will fade away in the next few years.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by RedRaider3933
I have a 3.5 Ecoboost. Here is my review. If anything with the turbos breaks it's an expensive fix, your MPG will be nowhere close to advertised unless you stay out of the boost, it tows like a banshee. Oh and it doesn't cost $800 to replace plugs, I have had it done twice. 160,000 miles on mine and its been mechanically sound from an engine standpoint.

Well. What did it cost? It will get advertized mpg if you drive in 0 wind and at 55 mph like the epa does. However that’s the same with every truck.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by JayC41
Nothing ford makes is worth wasting your money on. Get a Tundra just like Baby Jesus drove.

I agree,Baby Jesus drove a truck 2000 years ago and a Tundra still has the same technology as then.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by TR176

I agree,Baby Jesus drove a truck 2000 years ago and a Tundra still has the same technology as then.

remember pearl harbor. baby jesus wouldn't be caught dead in a rice burner.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by RedRaider3933

Well. What did it cost? It will get advertized mpg if you drive in 0 wind and at 55 mph like the epa does. However that’s the same with every truck.

Tune up with plugs cost somewhere between $200-$250.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 09:47 PM

Odd that after all these years, ford still has garbage transmissions and ride like a covered wagon. I guess it makes sense since ford is the official truck of the over 70 crowd.
Posted By: skankysally

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 10:02 PM

Get a Tundra, screw Ford

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 10:29 PM

Odd that after all these years, ford still has garbage transmissions and ride like a covered wagon. I guess it makes sense since ford is the official truck of the over 70 crowd.

[Linked Image]

I was surprised at how few pickups Tundra sold.
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 10:33 PM

Preach, brother!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/21/18 11:29 PM

Too bad Toyota can’t make a real truck like the big 3 do.
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 12:08 AM

remember pearl harbor. baby jesus wouldn't be caught dead in a rice burner.

roflmao

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by rrrandy!
Get a Tundra, screw Ford

Randy knows what’s up, I’m pretty sure a Tundra helped him find a gold coin.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 12:31 AM

City slickers, girls and wanna be bassmaster jersey wearing wannabes drive Toyotas.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by 21xs Elite
City slickers, girls and wanna be bassmaster jersey wearing wannabes drive Toyotas.

flehan
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 12:32 AM

Get the 3.5 Ecoboost. 21 mpg usual drive around mileage with 6 speed transmission. Plenty of power. About 11.5 MPG pulling the boat. Can be better if you stay out of the turbo. Great motor. Plenty of acceleration. It's a beast.

Ecoboost cost more than the V8. About $600 more on the sticker when I brought mine.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 01:07 AM

Get a Tundra, screw Ford

Randy must not be an old. Olds are stupid and hate good trucks.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 01:13 AM

Get a Tundra, screw Ford

I actually found that coin in the floorboard of the Tundra Jesus was driving, it was like a miracle.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 01:25 AM

roflmao
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 01:46 AM

Anyways, children.... I drive a 5.0 and my wife has an Ecoboost. The 5.0 is great for all around driving, her expedition has a ton of power, it feels like a rocket everytime I drive it. I might still get the 5.0 in my next truck, it's just been a great engine. But maybe the Ecoboost...

Either one tows better and gets better mpg than a turdra, that's for sure. Interior is better in my toddlers cozy coupe than any turdra. My lawn mower has better controls too.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 01:51 AM

Just remember folks, Ford is just one step up from a dodge!
Posted By: Westside.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 01:58 AM

I like my Dodge just fine

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Westside.

thumb

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by elcoyote, esq.
Get a Tundra, screw Ford

Randy must not be an old. Olds are stupid and hate good trucks.

Hey, is that nice?
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 03:25 AM

So that is why WAWI drives that beat up whore of a truck.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 11:52 AM

Old men drive 3/4 ton Diesels , after that they buy new ones .
Posted By: slim1

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 01:08 PM

I have a 2018 with the 5.0 with the 10 speed auto. It has 395 HP and is really fast. If you want to go fast. It gets 19.6 in town and 23 on the road. It'll pull just about anything you want to put behind it. Glad I got the 5.0. Love my truck.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by slim1
I have a 2018 with the 5.0 with the 10 speed auto. It has 395 HP and is really fast. If you want to go fast. It gets 19.6 in town and 23 on the road. It'll pull just about anything you want to put behind it. Glad I got the 5.0. Love my truck.

Yep. I see nothing to justify the extra money they want for the ecoboost.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 01:16 PM

I say ecoboost for sure.....we have a '17 Explorer Sport 365hp 3.5L twin turbo and it'll pull with the best of 'em. Only thing about this vehicle pulling that stinks is a shorter wheelbase.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 01:22 PM

Actually a Ford is telling the world “hey, I’m old and don’t care. Bury me in this sucker”

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hog Jaw
Old men drive 3/4 ton Diesels , after that they buy new ones .

This may be true, but real men buy F350’s. Metrosexuals like those ‘yotas.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank

Actually a Ford is telling the world “hey, I’m old and don’t care. Bury me in this sucker”

At least they outlast us.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 02:27 PM

The only thing I hate worse than truck shopping is truck waiting....waiting for my truck to get out of the shop. I have bought Tundras since 2000 and have never spent one minute at the dealership for any repair at all other than an airbag recall. Tundras may not be the best looking or the one with the most technology, but they deliver the most important thing to me...reliability.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 02:46 PM

FWIW I am getting a new truck for work next year. It'll be a 4X4 set up for offroad work (6" lift & 35s), and it needs to be as short as possible. Since Chevy won't be making a standard cab for 2019 and neither my employer nor I will ever make the incredibly expensive and stupid mistake of purchasing Chrysler products again, I will be getting a 2019 F150 standard cab short bed truck. As I know nothing about Fords, I asked several offroad shops which engine I should specify. All of them said, without hesitation, to stay away from the Ecoboost and get the 5.0. I didn't ask why they recommend the 5.0, but I thought I'd pass their recommendation on for consideration.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Ford
FWIW I am getting a new truck for work next year. It'll be a 4X4 set up for offroad work (6" lift & 35s), and it needs to be as short as possible. Since Chevy won't be making a standard cab for 2019 and neither my employer nor I will ever make the incredibly expensive and stupid mistake of purchasing Chrysler products again, I will be getting a 2019 F150 standard cab short bed truck. As I know nothing about Fords, I asked several offroad shops which engine I should specify. All of them said, without hesitation, to stay away from the Ecoboost and get the 5.0. I didn't ask why they recommend the 5.0, but I thought I'd pass their recommendation on for consideration.

We have many eco boosts and 5.0's in our fleet, and all drivers are happy. I asked a few of them that have had both which they prefer, and they never can get give a straight answer, and say they like both. I bet since off-roaders operate at lower speeds and will demand power at lower RPM's, that is why they dont recommend the eco boost. The 5.0 will not have the turbo lag that the eco boost will.
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 04:45 PM

I’m on my 2nd Ecoboost and will never go back to the V8 again. They are both great motors, you won’t go wrong with either.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 06:58 PM

I’ve got 182,000 on my eco boost now. I won’t lie and say I haven’t worried about something going wrong with the turbos but this motors running as strong as the day I got it. I’ve run a livernois tuner on it the last 120,000 miles. Going from tow tune to performance and back min 3 times a month. I change the oil every 4,000 miles, new air filter every 10,000 miles and new plugs every 60,000, I’m due to do that, and FYI it’s an easy job. Running that perf tune puts more importance on some sensors. I’ve had mis fires on 1,2,3 & 4 cylinders at the same time, thought it blew up. The tuner also is a code reader, so after several trial and errors, finally figured out just to take out all 3 sensors on the intake side (2 IATs and 1 MAP), spray em clean and reinstall every 6-8,000 miles. No more troubles.
A couple months back I had the orange wrench pop up and the motor went into limp mode. Pulled the codes, said throttle body failure. Limped into Oreileys, $99 and 10 minutes later I had a new throttle body in and back running perfect.
I’ve noticed this motor is very sensitive to quality of fuel. It can mean up to 2 mpg difference on a long trip.
I do miss the sound of a V-8, but I wouldn’t hesitate 1 second in buying another eco boost. The torque difference between the 5.0 and the eco boost is big if you plan on pulling a boat around a lot, especially with that tow tune (525 ft lbs)
I think they’re both good motors, the eco boost may require a little more TLC to keep it performing top notch.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 08:57 PM

Sound advice there, asking someone who sells tires and light bars which motor is better.
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/22/18 10:21 PM

I have the 2.7 EB in my F150 and it is a race truck and tows the boats like it wasn't there... If you can manage to keep from playing on the gas pedal you can get 19/20 mpg

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/23/18 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

Sound advice there, asking someone who sells tires and light bars which motor is better.

Uh............the offroad shops I consulted rig offroad trucks. You know, suspensions, winches, and offroad performance equipment. As offroad enthusiasts, I figured that they just might have a valid opinion. Of course, if you know more about it than them, you're welcome to share your vast knowledge here. It'd probably be more helpful than snide remarks.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/23/18 03:45 PM

I have a 2017 with the 5.0L. I drove an Eco booster when I was looking to buy and I just like the 5.0L better. The Eco seemed to be wound up too tight. The 5.0 seemed to be less straining under normal driving. But this is like a Ford/Chevy, Ginger/Maryann thing I think. This 2017 is my 4th brand new F150 in 22 years. First was in 1996, it was a 4.9L six cylinder. Then in 2002, the 5.4L motor. 2011, the 5.4L again and then in 2017 the 5.0 L. So far, the 5.0L is the quickest and strongest pull power.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/23/18 04:17 PM

I've lost count of the Ford PU's I've owned but they just keep better every year. Currently driving a 2018 FX4 with the 5.0 V8 and love everything about it. Good gas mileage and the 10 speed transmission is perfect for towing. The trailer backup assist works great too.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/23/18 04:19 PM

Uh............the offroad shops I consulted rig offroad trucks. You know, suspensions, winches, and offroad performance equipment. As offroad enthusiasts, I figured that they just might have a valid opinion. Of course, if you know more about it than them, you're welcome to share your vast knowledge here. It'd probably be more helpful than snide remarks.

Ok, off roading isn’t about speed. It’s about low end torque. Hummmm the 3.5eb has more then the 5.0. Lift kits and big tires, again more low end torque. Down low and mid range is where the 3.5 shines. The 5.0’s only advantage is high rpm. In a drag race it will pull the 3.5 on the top end. Outside of that and being a few hundred $ cheaper it has no other advantage. So again, sound advice from your tire / light bar shop.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/24/18 02:19 AM

Just bought the ole lady a 2017 4Runner, 4wd drive today.

Sucked the life out of me

Yota for life!
Posted By: MBradford

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/24/18 02:35 AM

[Linked Image]

I was surprised at how few pickups Tundra sold.

"Ford- Quantity is Job 1."

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/24/18 03:28 AM

Thank you ALL for all the feedback. Just got home with my 2018 Ford F-150 4x4. I got the V8 5.0

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/24/18 03:28 AM

Thank you ALL for all the feedback. Just got home with my 2018 Ford F-150 4x4. I got the V8 5.0

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/24/18 03:36 AM

Enjoy my man!
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/24/18 04:01 AM

Enjoy my man!

thumb

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/24/18 04:06 AM

Nice! I bought the baby 2.7 for fuel mileage, I have a f350 for pulling real loads.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/24/18 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout

Nice! I bought the baby 2.7 for fuel mileage, I have a f350 for pulling real loads.

[Linked Image]

Nice ride, congrats!

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 04:23 AM

Well, a little update. Since reading this post I did a little research with some independent mechanics. I learned that the ecoboost has had -- and is having -- a lot of problems with their turbos. Our patrol guys who drive the ecoboost Exploders say that they have all had issues, and in fact we have one down now with a bad turbo.

To tmd11111: I know you keep insisting everybody I talk to sells light bars. Pay attention: These were independent mechanics. They do not; I repeat: do not, sell light bars. They fix broken cars.

Anyway, I got the new truck with the 5.0. NONE of the mechanics I spoke to recommended the ecoboost. The 5.0 seems to perform adequately, but I'm still breaking it in.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 09:00 AM

Well, a little update. Since reading this post I did a little research with some independent mechanics. I learned that the ecoboost has had -- and is having -- a lot of problems with their turbos. Our patrol guys who drive the ecoboost Exploders say that they have all had issues, and in fact we have one down now with a bad turbo.

To tmd11111: I know you keep insisting everybody I talk to sells light bars. Pay attention: These were independent mechanics. They do not; I repeat: do not, sell light bars. They fix broken cars.

Anyway, I got the new truck with the 5.0. NONE of the mechanics I spoke to recommended the ecoboost. The 5.0 seems to perform adequately, but I'm still breaking it in.

wise choice imo, bought my 14 f150/5.0 coyote in nov. of 14 and only problem I have had was a couple of weeks ago a head temp sensor went bad, covered under the extended warranty thru ford. lovin this truck and with a superchips tuner to adjust for tire size etc. showing 15+ mpg on the dash. just hit 84,000

[Linked Image]
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 10:34 AM

Real men put turbos on their v8...Ego Boost.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 11:45 AM

My 2018 F-150 has a 5.0 with almost 400 HP. I love it. Plenty of power and gets 19.6 around town and 22.8 on the road.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 12:05 PM

My 2018 F-150 has a 5.0 with almost 400 HP. I love it. Plenty of power and gets 19.6 around town and 22.8 on the road.

10 speed?
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by John175®
Real men put turbos on their v8...Ego Boost.

Is it 2011 again? Same arguments in here. The ecoboosts have been proven reliable. The 2.7L gets better fuel economy than the 5.0L and the 3.5l will tow a heavier load at a lower rpm and with less downshifting than the 5.0l. They all serve a purpose. Drive what you want.
Posted By: Davedave

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 12:54 PM

My truck spews black smoke everywhere. I haul arse everywhere I go, and it’s so loud that everyone looks at me. Chicks will not leave me alone. They can’t help it. I get 65 MPG at 100 MPH. I can get 68 MPG if I remove the truck nuts, which I do when I take customers out to lunch. I rip the coupler off of my trailer at least once a month.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Davedave
My truck spews black smoke everywhere. I haul arse everywhere I go, and it’s so loud that everyone looks at me. Chicks will not leave me alone. They can’t help it. I get 65 MPG at 100 MPH. I can get 68 MPG if I remove the truck nuts, which I do when I take customers out to lunch. I rip the coupler off of my trailer at least once a month.

after seeing your tow rig at the ramp, for some reason I doubt your claims. just sayin.
[Linked Image]

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong

after seeing your tow rig at the ramp, for some reason I doubt your claims. just sayin.
[Linked Image]

roflmao

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 02:24 PM

I had a 2011 with the Ecoboost. I started blowing seals and spewing coolant from the turbos left and right. Got them fixed by a master Ford tech and he told me he constantly sees those problems with the Ecoboost. Knowing and trusting the guy I went and traded it in for a 5.0. Now I have only had it a little over two weeks but so far I have noticed better in town gas mileage, highway mileage, and towing mileage. The only thing it does is down shift more while towing but not a whole lot more. I backed the Ecoboost for a long time but won't do it anymore.
Posted By: BassFever

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 02:28 PM

I want a new truck. Love my 6.2 but HATE the transmission. I won't look at a Tundra until they come out with a new model. Love the 5.0 in the Fords. One of the best motors ever built. But the insides of a Ford looks like a truck from the 70's. All plastic and small screens. I really like the new Rams. But to get all what I want would be $67k. OUCH. And don't let anyone tell you different they get horrible mileage. The new Chevys are ok but the interior is a lot like the Fords. I've decided to wait and check out the new electric trucks coming out in 2020 like the Rivian.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by BassFever
I want a new truck. Love my 6.2 but HATE the transmission. I won't look at a Tundra until they come out with a new model. Love the 5.0 in the Fords. One of the best motors ever built. But the insides of a Ford looks like a truck from the 70's. All plastic and small screens. I really like the new Rams. But to get all what I want would be $67k. OUCH. And don't let anyone tell you different they get horrible mileage. The new Chevys are ok but the interior is a lot like the Fords. I've decided to wait and check out the new electric trucks coming out in 2020 like the Rivian.

fx4 ford has the big screen and more sync goodies loaded.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 03:07 PM

Ford reports 20% of the current F150 sales have a v8, then mechanics claim the 5.0l is the best engine because only 1 in 5 trucks that they service have a v8.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 03:21 PM

2014 eco boost for me. Zero problems
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld
Ford reports 20% of the current F150 sales have a v8, then mechanics claim the 5.0l is the best engine because only 1 in 5 trucks that they service have a v8.

Hey folks, please ignore these valid and sensible stats. Never let the facts impact what you think about subjects like this one.
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 03:33 PM

There’s no replacement for displacement
Posted By: 410MAN

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 03:33 PM

we have 2015 expedition Eco booost, Love it on road trip 19-21 mpg around town 16-17. It pull our 24 ft tritoon great. ' i have 15 f150 V8 15 in town 18 highway. It does have get up go quickly . does not pull tritoon like the expedition does.
Posted By: mstring

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 03:55 PM

When I bought my F150 in Jan. of 2017, I looked at 2 trucks. One with the 2.7, the other with the 5.0. I went with the 5.0. I couldn't get my mind past the thought that the 2.7 wasn't that much bigger than the engine in my wife's Kia. Even with the turbos. Driving them, I couldn't tell the difference. A lady where I work bought one just like mine but with the 2.7 about a month later. She has already traded it in on a new one with the 5.0. Her 2.7 cratered and took the bottom end out. Ford fixed it, but she was already snake bit. Yeah, I know there are tons of them on the road, but I still felt the 5.0 would be the more dependable down the road.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Notaguide

woot flehan
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 05:05 PM

why do you think they call them Ecobusts or Ecobursts

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 05:16 PM

I have the 5.0. love it. my bil has the EB. he loves it.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by HasBen
The only thing I hate worse than truck shopping is truck waiting....waiting for my truck to get out of the shop. I have bought Tundras since 2000 and have never spent one minute at the dealership for any repair at all other than an airbag recall. Tundras may not be the best looking or the one with the most technology, but they deliver the most important thing to me...reliability.
I am currently on my 3rd Toyota truck and none have been in the shop except for the free oil changes. Ford and great motors just don't fit in the same sentence.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper
[]I am currently on my 3rd Toyota truck

There's a reason they call those TuRDs. Even write it on the side of some of them.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 05:23 PM

10 speed?

All 2018 and newer gas F150's (except 3.3L V6) have the 10 speed in them.

2017 3.5L TT's had them a year earlier.

Our '17 XLT SuperCrew FX4 3.5L Max Tow (3.55) gets 20-21 daily and we have gotten 27 on the highway on trips.

It gets 16-17 pulling our Ranger at 75 (most of the trip) with the cruise set on a 5 hour trip so it is pretty good.

By comparison my daily driver (work truck) 2014 F150 RCLB 2WD 3.7L 6 speed gets 16-17 daily (20 mile round trip on the highway) and on long trips I can get it up to 18-19.

Towing our Ranger it drops to 13 if I keep it below 70.

The newer Coyote's performance is similar (since the 10 speed) so you can't go wrong either way. cheers

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

10 speed?

Our '17 XLT SuperCrew FX4 3.5L Max Tow (3.55) gets 20-21 daily and we have gotten 27 on the highway on trips.

It gets 16-17 pulling our Ranger at 75 (most of the trip) with the cruise set on a 5 hour trip so it is pretty good.

By comparison my daily driver (work truck) 2014 F150 RCLB 2WD 3.7L 6 speed gets 16-17 daily (20 mile round trip on the highway) and on long trips I can get it up to 18-19.

The newer Coyote's performance is similar (since the 10 speed) so you can't go wrong either way. cheers

thumb

drove the 10 speed eco for a loaner while my temp sensor was replaced, plenty of get up and go but just didn't feel like it would pull my champion well. low end xt single cab from enterprise. would drive it for a commuter but not a tow vehicle, I like all the rotating mass I can get under the hood.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 05:34 PM

10 speed?

That's impressive. My 2011 3.5 Eco 4x4 with 3.55 gears wouldn't get 17 mpg at 75 mph pulling nothing. Pulling a ZX225 it would get 9-10 mpg if I kept it under 70. Granted it was a 6 speed not a 10.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 07:00 PM

My Raptor gets between 14-18 mpg's at 75mph, depending on which way the wind is blowing. Towing my 22' bay boat at the same speeds it gets between 8-9mpg's. Might have to add some more light bars to make it more aerodynamic.
Posted By: Flyfisherman

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 07:24 PM

I don’t know anything about engines. I picked my new Sierra because I liked the body style.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Flyfisherman
I don’t know anything about engines. I picked my new Sierra because I liked the body style.

Nothing wrong with that. I don't know anything about women and that's how I picked my wife.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 07:41 PM

The only thing I know about an eco boost is from my wife's FORMER 2014 F-150 with the V6 eco boost. I came very close to being killed while driving that POS. Trying to pass 18 wheelers on a two-lane highway. Both times, I pulled out and gave it the gas to pass. Got about mid-trailer beside them both times and the damned thing would just quit (bog down). Fortunately for me and others oncoming, I was able to slow down and get back behind the truck before having a head-on. After the second time it did that to me, the truck was immediately traded in for a Chevy with a V8.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 08:21 PM

At the end of the day you're still driving a Ford. grin

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 08:52 PM

So we are all in agreement, right?

Jesus and tiger woods drive Tundras, Jack drives a 5.0 ecoboost.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 08:59 PM

remember pearl harbor. splat

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 09:10 PM

I don’t buy things that suck. That eliminates me from buying ford.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by fouzman
The only thing I know about an eco boost is from my wife's FORMER 2014 F-150 with the V6 eco boost. I came very close to being killed while driving that POS. Trying to pass 18 wheelers on a two-lane highway. Both times, I pulled out and gave it the gas to pass. Got about mid-trailer beside them both times and the damned thing would just quit (bog down). Fortunately for me and others oncoming, I was able to slow down and get back behind the truck before having a head-on. After the second time it did that to me, the truck was immediately traded in for a Chevy with a V8.

Shoulda got a 5.0 V8 fouz, I pass 18 wheelers all the time pulling my Skeeter. Don't know if you're familiar with the road work going on just east of Rockwall on I-30 but the lanes make a S curve and get real narrow. I got behind two 18 wheelers and wanted to get in front before we got to the S's. My Ford has the 5.0 with a 10 speed tranny. Nailed it about 200 yards before the S's and passed both with ease pulling a boat.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by GIG'EM AGGIES

Shoulda got a 5.0 V8 fouz, I pass 18 wheelers all the time pulling my Skeeter. Don't know if you're familiar with the road work going on just east of Rockwall on I-30 but the lanes make a S curve and get real narrow. I got behind two 18 wheelers and wanted to get in front before we got to the S's. My Ford has the 5.0 with a 10 speed tranny. Nailed it about 200 yards before the S's and passed both with ease pulling a boat.

Wish I had the 10 speed. It's already wicked fast in sport mode.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 09:53 PM

[]I am currently on my 3rd Toyota truck

There's a reason they call those TuRDs. Even write it on the side of some of them.

I would rather have a turd then a Fix Or Repair Daily or a Found On Road Dead. There are reasons those exist. I see them almost every day.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/16/19 11:45 PM

The only people that would call them that have never owned one

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 12:35 AM

remember pearl harbor. splat

derek raises bees, heard he breeds them too. think about that.
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 01:05 AM

Welcome to the 99 mph club
Posted By: Gusick

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 01:34 AM

My work truck is a Chevy and I hate this. Cutting you off at 99 mph is one thing, but they don't just make you slow down, you have to completely stop and kill the engine before the throttle resets. Apparently someone thinks it's safer to have a dead throttle at 90+ mph in the passing lane than to drive 100 for a few seconds.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gusick

My work truck is a Chevy and I hate this. Cutting you off at 99 mph is one thing, but they don't just make you slow down, you have to completely stop and kill the engine before the throttle resets. Apparently someone thinks it's safer to have a dead throttle at 90+ mph in the passing lane than to drive 100 for a few seconds.

Mine has never cut off at 99

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 01:46 AM

Never could get my 5.3l that fast to find out.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Flyfisherman

Nothing wrong with that. I don't know anything about women and that's how I picked my wife.

Is there anyone that knows anything about women? peep

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 03:54 AM

10 speed?

thumb

drove the 10 speed eco for a loaner while my temp sensor was replaced, plenty of get up and go but just didn't feel like it would pull my champion well. low end xt single cab from enterprise. would drive it for a commuter but not a tow vehicle, I like all the rotating mass I can get under the hood.

That might have been the rearend giving you that feeling.

It was probably the 3.31 rears.

Mine has the 3.55;s and you can get a stump puller with 3.73.

The 10 speed makes the higher rearend gears less of a liability but for a bigger glass boat the 3.55's or 3.73's would be a better choice.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by GIG'EM AGGIES

Wish I had the 10 speed. It's already wicked fast in sport mode.

Sport Mode makes the gas gauge drop too fast if you stay in it all the time! bolt

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 03:59 AM

My 2014 XL 3.7L RCLB ( and everyone I had before that) would do the same thing.

The newer ones will go closer to 120 (from what I hear) and I know it is past 99 but I can't tell you from experience how much faster.

The people with tuners don't have that limit.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 11:51 AM

10 speed?

Yes it's a 10 speed
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 01:19 PM

I had a 1998 F250 with the V-10. It was maddening with the limiter set at 99 mph, but that was a boat towing machine.

My wife now drives a '19 Tahoe with the corvette engine. That sucker is fast! Thanks Monte, Tony and Moritz.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 01:52 PM

Fouz, the fix to your issue would've been to drill a small hole in your intercooler to allow the built up oil to leak out - doesn't that make you feel like it's a well built machine? We'll be going Yukon/Tahoe on the wife's next car. We'll see how long the expedition makes it... she hardly drives at all.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 04:59 PM

My 2014 XL 3.7L RCLB ( and everyone I had before that) would do the same thing.

The newer ones will go closer to 120 (from what I hear) and I know it is past 99 but I can't tell you from experience how much faster.

The people with tuners don't have that limit.

not sure what my superchips tuner puts it to but I did the "raised limit" since that is all it says. I do know my 5.0 will outrun a cheby, proved it when an ahole tried to run me off the road and thought it was funny, never did figure out why he wouldn't pull into the brookshires parking lot in commerce tho.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dubee

The only people that would call them that have never owned one

there are plenty of people who are now driving Tundras for which that is not a true statement. I am sure there are also a few fools that have gone the other way

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 06:24 PM

Considering Ford sells 9 trucks to Toyotas 1.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 06:27 PM

The 10 speed makes the higher rearend gears less of a liability but for a bigger glass boat the 3.55's or 3.73's would be a better choice.

Probably the base v6. Those ecos tow a lot like a diesel. Gobs of low-end torque.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 06:42 PM

McDonalds sells more hamburgers than any other restaurant in the world, but that doesn’t make them good.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 07:06 PM

McDonalds sells more hamburgers than any other restaurant in the world, but that doesn’t make them good.

Beats rice.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 07:10 PM

Beats rice.

We get it Captain Ecoboost

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 07:14 PM

Beats rice.

We get it Captain Ecoboost

LOLZ
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 09:22 PM

Ecoboost, as a word, just sucks. Boost is a cool word, but when you add eco, I just don't like it. It makes it sound like an economy truck, and who wants to say they drive an economy truck? I think they need to come up with something more truck worthy.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/17/19 10:26 PM

Beats rice.

I’ve had some great rice in a restaurant about a mile from the Tundra plant in San Antonio.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/18/19 07:04 PM

Mine is still running.
Posted By: MBradford

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/18/19 07:07 PM

"Ford- Quantity is Job 1."
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/18/19 07:45 PM

Not for nothing but my 2018 2.7 Eco boost is the jam!

325 ponies and 375lbs torque I still get 21mpg out of it in mixed driving. You cant argue with that.

Smooth truck. I am digging it.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/18/19 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by rj74955
I think they need to come up with something more truck worthy.

SuperBoost
MAGABoost
MegaBoost
TBoost
DBoost
Boost-now with electrolytes
Boost-with more molecules
Stickaboostintheira

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/18/19 08:52 PM

I've done some research and am now convinced the turbo will outlast the truck.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/18/19 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by collincountytx

SuperBoost
MAGABoost
MegaBoost
TBoost
DBoost
Stickaboostintheira

I would go buy a MAGAboost tomorrow if Toyota made it, and if Tiger Woods endorsed it.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/18/19 09:15 PM

SuperBoost
MAGABoost
MegaBoost
TBoost
DBoost
Stickaboostintheira

ALL better than eco boost! I would feel like I was driving something green friendly. I think flexfuel is dumb too. It's a truck, I want the good stuff all the time.
Posted By: mstring

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/18/19 09:27 PM

SuperBoost
MAGABoost
MegaBoost
TBoost
DBoost
Stickaboostintheira

ALL better than eco boost! I would feel like I was driving something green friendly. I think flexfuel is dumb too. It's a truck, I want the good stuff all the time.

So, you don't want a truck that goes both ways?

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/18/19 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by John175®
I've done some research and am now convinced the turbo will outlast the truck.

192,000 miles on mine now. No motor/turbo problems yet, other than the throttle body I had to replace. Had a front pinion seal replaced the other day. Got 18.1 mpg from Beaumont to Justin Tuesday. Still chugging along, and hurting people’s feelings at stoplights. 4 wheel drive launch with a little boost built up is fun, if all tires hook up it’s dang impressive.
cheers

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 12:04 AM

Probably the base v6. Those ecos tow a lot like a diesel. Gobs of low-end torque.

Base V6 (3.7L) is only available with the 6 speed. wink
Posted By: Davedave

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 12:30 AM

Please make it stop.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 12:35 AM

Please make it stop.

You can’t stop the ecoboost, D2. You should know that by now.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 02:45 AM

Panty boys drive an ecoboost and tundras.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 04:10 AM

Then you never towed any real weight with one. And 3.7l???
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 12:39 PM

Please make it stop.

You can’t stop the ecoboost, D2. You should know that by now.

The Coyote is right... there is no quit in the EcoBoost!! Once the mighty Ford rumbles to life it cannot be silenced. EcoBoost para ever!

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 12:54 PM

Mine has the 3.55's and you can get a stump puller with 3.73.

Then you never towed any real weight with one. And 3.7l???

Sorry should have been 3.3L for the base V6 now which replaced the 3.5L Flex Fuel (FFV).

My 2014 XL work truck has the 3.7L FFV (3.31's) which replaced the 4.0L FFV that I had in an older work truck.

My personal truck is a 2017 3.5L EB which I referenced with the 3.55's in it.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 01:05 PM

I drive an ecoboost, put beans in my chili, smoke tenderlicious brisket on a pellet smoker and don't boil my meat! #JAJWD MAGA!
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 02:28 PM

Good one, I agree.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 02:36 PM

Only reason Ford still offers the 5.0 is because there are too many crusty old farts out there that think a pickup isn't a pickup unless it has a V8. Both will fade away in the next few years.

Us crusty old farts are not going away that soon.

A truck only needs to really have 5 options, Automatic, V-8 Engine, AC, AM/F Radio, 6 foot bed or longer.

Plus a hitch of course, anything else is just bells and whistles.
Posted By: Stonebriar

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 05:28 PM

I had a 2012 3.5 eb with 355 rear gears. Would never get over 14mpg. Traded for a 2015 5.0v8 now I can get 20 highway. No more EB for me.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stonebriar
I had a 2012 3.5 eb with 355 rear gears. Would never get over 14mpg. Traded for a 2015 5.0v8 now I can get 20 highway. No more EB for me.

I have the same truck but I am not sure of the rear gear. I can get close to 24mpg on the highway in mine if I keep it at 60-65.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Trickster

I have the same truck but I am not sure of the rear gear. I can get close to 24mpg on the highway in mine if I keep it at 60-65.

Why would you want to drive 60-65 when most hwys are 70-75?

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 08:13 PM

Pays $50k for a new truck...worries about $25 bucks a month in fuel.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Trickster

Why would you want to drive 60-65 when most hwys are 70-75?

To see what type of mileage I could get. Don't drive that speed most of the time.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 08:24 PM

I figure over the life time of my truck I have spent $60,000 in fuel. If I got 4mpg less that would be another $20,000. So yeah, I give a [censored] about mpg in my truck.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B

I figure over the life time of my truck I have spent $60,000 in fuel. If I got 4mpg less that would be another $20,000. So yeah, I give a [censored] about mpg in my truck.

Yep. That's like saying you spent $300k on a new house and you don't care what your electric bill is. noidea

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 09:40 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 10:44 PM

I averaged over 17mpg combined in my first gen 3.5l and I can easily get 20mpg out of the 2.7l at 75mpg and combined. You aren't saving much, if anything, with the 5.0l, so spare me the bull@#$#.

As mentioned, the 2.7l gets better mileage, the 3.5l has better performance...if you want a reliable workhorse, should have gone with HD truck with a cast iron block. If you want economy, I suggest a Chevy Volt.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 11:04 PM

It's like the guy with the Toyota crowing about resale value after its cost him 3 times that or more putting gas in the lowest mpg truck out there.

200,000 miles at 20 mpg x $2.75 gallon = $27,500. Get 15mpg and it's $36,666. Just numbers as a comparison. With the F150 over 4 trucks I started with 15mpg average and the one I have now with the ecobo averages right at 21mpg.

It's kind of like paying more in income tax and then crowing about the size of your return. I would just rather keep my money.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 04/19/19 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fishspanker

It's like the guy with the Toyota crowing about resale value after its cost him 3 times that or more putting gas in the lowest mpg truck out there.

200,000 miles at 20 mpg x $2.75 gallon = $27,500. Get 15mpg and it's $36,666. Just numbers as a comparison. With the F150 over 4 trucks I started with 15mpg average and the one I have now with the ecobo averages right at 21mpg.

It's kind of like paying more in income tax and then crowing about the size of your return. I would just rather keep my money.

You know the fastest way to kill a thread is post common sense and basic math
cheers

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/02/19 02:57 AM

Well, since I got in on this thread last year, and one of the TFFers insisted that the Ecoboost is the only way to go, I thought I'd offer an update. tmd11111, since, in spite of my correction, you kept insisting that I was getting my advice from an Emergency Vehicle Equipment salesman, this is for you:

Those Ecoboosts are killing us financially. It costs almost as much to keep those Ecoboosts on the road as it did the Chargers, which doubled our vehicle maintenance budget. The Exploders are breaking us! The pickups we bought with the 5.0s have given us decent service except for one, which had a bad ECU that Ford refused to acknowledge. One of those independent dealers got it diagnosed and fixed; Ford was clueless (and naturally, they refused to warranty it). Additionally, the Ford dealership we are forced to use through our vehicle grant has sent out of spec vehicles in almost every case, and refused to take them back, insisting that we ordered what they sent.

Anyway, we have a new administration as of the first of the year, and we have gone back to Chevys. At last, we now have some reliable vehicles, and some dealer and factory backup. Thanks, tmd11111, for your insight and advice. You are truly brilliant! Ecoboost forever!!!!!!!!

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/02/19 03:20 AM

Well, since I got in on this thread last year, and one of the TFFers insisted that the Ecoboost is the only way to go, I thought I'd offer an update. tmd11111, since, in spite of my correction, you kept insisting that I was getting my advice from an Emergency Vehicle Equipment salesman, this is for you:

Those Ecoboosts are killing us financially. It costs almost as much to keep those Ecoboosts on the road as it did the Chargers, which doubled our vehicle maintenance budget. The Exploders are breaking us! The pickups we bought with the 5.0s have given us decent service except for one, which had a bad ECU that Ford refused to acknowledge. One of those independent dealers got it diagnosed and fixed; Ford was clueless (and naturally, they refused to warranty it). Additionally, the Ford dealership we are forced to use through our vehicle grant has sent out of spec vehicles in almost every case, and refused to take them back, insisting that we ordered what they sent.

Anyway, we have a new administration as of the first of the year, and we have gone back to Chevys. At last, we now have some reliable vehicles, and some dealer and factory backup. Thanks, tmd11111, for your insight and advice. You are truly brilliant! Ecoboost forever!!!!!!!!

Glad I could be of assistance. Best of luck to ya.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/02/19 03:28 AM

Ecoboost is the only way to go!

*Disclaimer* Except for donut runs

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/02/19 12:16 PM

Always good to get real-world feedback on recommendations.

Thanks.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/02/19 12:45 PM

Love my 5.0.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/02/19 01:55 PM

5.0 will be more trouble free especially if you keep a truck a long time.
J D

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/02/19 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by basscaster46

5.0 will be more trouble free especially if you keep a truck a long time.
J D

or tow much, eco looses a lot of mpg when towing compared to my 5.0 I want the rotating mass of a v8.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/04/19 06:31 PM

Get a Tundra, screw Ford

+1, Ford screwed me after 30 years of owning them.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/04/19 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fishspanker

I would rather stay away from the dealer and repair shops
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/04/19 07:42 PM

Had and Eco boost the past three years and on my new truck got a V-8 and am happy happy, happy cheers peep
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/04/19 07:46 PM

I do not plan on pulling anything more than a small boat or pop up camper. Truck pricing on the V6 is much more reasonable. What are your thoughts?

Lol looks like you have plenty of feedback. I've driven a 2018 & 2019 F-150 with the V6 a couple of different times. The V6 is too small of an engine for the truck. To get up to highway speed you have to really get on it. I can't see the motor or tranny lasting a long time having to run it like that. No way I would go with the V6. I have the 3.5 ecoboost and it's awesome.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/04/19 08:22 PM

I have driven my V6 3.5 EcoBoost for about 18 months. It has more pep than my previous 5.4 V8 and gets much better gas mileage. I get 19MPG real-world average (75% city / 25% highway) in my 3.5 vs 13MGP real-world in my 5.4. I get 23MPG to 25MGP on straight highway in eco mode.

With the 3.55 rear end, the 3.5 has slightly less towing specs than the 5.4, but not by much. However, I would have stayed with a V8 if I towed a lot.

Also, I went with the E Lock rear end rather than 4WD... 2WD rides better and gets better gas mileage. With E Lock I can lock in positraction to pull up a ramp or to get through a little soft ground (this is all I need). The E Lock was a $430 add... 4WD was about a $4,000 add.

Just my two cents.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/04/19 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry713

Lol looks like you have plenty of feedback. I've driven a 2018 & 2019 F-150 with the V6 a couple of different times. The V6 is too small of an engine for the truck. To get up to highway speed you have to really get on it. I can't see the motor or tranny lasting a long time having to run it like that. No way I would go with the V6. I have the 3.5 ecoboost and it's awesome.

I thought the Ecoboost was a V6.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/04/19 08:27 PM

Shhhh

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/04/19 08:27 PM

It is but it's turbo charged vs the standard v6 isn't.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/04/19 08:29 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/04/19 08:32 PM

It is but it's turbo charged vs the standard v6 isn't.

It runs on electrolytes.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/04/19 09:48 PM

WOW, who brought this thread back to life?? I bought the V8 4x4 on black Friday last year. Love it!

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/05/19 06:18 PM

WOW, who brought this thread back to life?? I bought the V8 4x4 on black Friday last year. Love it!

What did you buy? A Tundra?

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/05/19 06:55 PM

Just like Baby Jesus drove.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/05/19 07:03 PM

Ford F-150. Towed my first Tundra the other day. Pulled with ease!!

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/05/19 07:07 PM

Ford F-150. Towed my first Tundra the other day. Pulled with ease!!

just like baby jesus. flehan
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/06/19 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Westside.

thumb

Hell yes, me too!

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/15/19 12:07 AM

Who drives the limited with the H.O. 3.5 Ecoboost? Gotta be a hoot having 450hp and 510lbs torque.Does it only come in the Raptor and limited?

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/15/19 12:26 AM

Who drives the limited with the H.O. 3.5 Ecoboost? Gotta be a hoot having 450hp and 510lbs torque.Does it only come in the Raptor and limited?

I think its raptor only. Beautiful truck.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/15/19 10:36 AM

I think its raptor only. Beautiful truck.

They added it to the Limited this year. Haven't driven one in the Limited but will say, after 2 years and almost 40k miles my Raptor is still a hoot to drive.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/15/19 06:36 PM

just get a supercharged 5.7 Tundra. They don't call them Raptor Killers for nothing.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/15/19 06:37 PM

just get a supercharged 5.7 Tundra. They don't call them Raptor Killers for nothing.

but then you have an ugly azz tundra.

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/15/19 06:47 PM

cheers

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/15/19 06:56 PM

nothing uglier then that nose on a F150

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/15/19 06:56 PM

nothing uglier then that nose on a F150

except the tundra.
Posted By: Kentucky

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/15/19 07:16 PM

get you a turbo 6.7L diesel.. go big or go home silly gas guzzlers
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Ford V6 eco boost or V8 - 11/15/19 07:24 PM

Yes, the newer 2018+ only carries the HO 3.5L Ecoboost.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum