Texas Fishing Forum

How do you ..

Posted By: Nickbyrd

How do you .. - 10/12/18 01:42 AM

How do you hunt ?
I’ve kind of got the itch . I don’t have the time and money to be as avid as I’d like to be in such an activity. Truth be told I’ve never took a deer one . I’ve seen them but it was not yet there time . Couple hogs varmint and so on .
Every time I’ve been deer hunting it’s been from a window seal with cig in my mouth and a beer coke between my legs. And I kind of like it like that it’s very relaxing . I know it’s not right but just wondered how y’all do things.
Posted By: RATZ

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 01:48 AM

about like you. With a bourbon and coke making all kinds of noise. Done it with a cig in my mouth. Deer are not as smart as they are on tv. Or from the truck window on the lease/ranch.
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: RATZ
about like you. With a bourbon and coke making all kinds of noise. Done it with a cig in my mouth. Deer are not as smart as they are on tv. Or from the truck window on the lease/ranch.
I’ve only been hunting with hillbilly’s lol I have this image in my head of like the guys on tv with paint on there face all geared up whispering about there sponsors creeping like an ninja to there stand gettin all pissy when you snap twig roflmao
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 01:55 AM

I deer hunt for meat. Its not real fun. I like bird hunting better.

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Nickbyrd
I’ve only been hunting with hillbilly’s lol I have this image in my head of like the guys on tv with paint on there face all geared up whispering about there sponsors creeping like an ninja to there stand gettin all pissy when you snap twig roflmao

don't think anyone but first timers hunt like that

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigbob_FTW
I deer hunt for meat. Its not real fun. I like bird hunting better.

this^^^^^
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 02:40 AM

$500 doe hunts every now and then to fill the freezer are pretty cool. Axis are outstanding meat FYI.
Posted By: DavidWhatley

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 02:43 AM

You'll have better luck if you turn your headlights on or use a spotlight. bolt
Posted By: Chris B

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 02:51 AM

In this great state you can hunt how you like. Public, lease or your own or friends property. I mostly just hunt with a bow anymore. Makes it a little more challenging. Nothing wrong with hunting any legal way you want.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 02:52 AM

It's kinda like going to the store. Go sit, wait for the feeder to go off, watch them come in, pick out what looks to be an older, or dry doe, put the scope on her, pull the trigger, and then gut her, and throw her in the truck.

If there's room in the freezer for another one, do it again.
Posted By: TR176

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 03:10 AM

The last time I was on a lease the owner started griping about us being buck hunting nimrods and not killing enough does. I jumped in my truck and drove around the less and shot 4 does. Lots of sausage and ground meat made that year.
Posted By: Bass N Beer

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 03:24 AM

I'm with a couple of above poster's. I would rather bird hunt. More shooting and more fun with the guys you are hunting with. IMO.
Posted By: nethingthatbites

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 03:32 AM

I love shooting. Hunting mostly sucks. Only do it for meat when it’s easy to get.
Posted By: Snakeyes711

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 03:58 AM

I only hunt public land,99 % of the time with an xbow.I'm not a meat hunter,only looking for a mature,shooter buck. Pass on does,young bucks and hogs. I've used climbers,loc-ons,even tried ground blinds. Currently use a homemade ladder stand I drag into the woods.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 11:28 AM

I was a casual deer hunter in my younger days, i smoked like a chimney while in the stand and had deer literally walk right under me. I also was unable to sit still, moved in the stand a lot, still saw many deer well within shooting range.

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 11:35 AM

Pheasant hunting is where it's at.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 11:53 AM

Had a highfalutin buddy back in MS that would take me hunting at his "club". Of course I or "guests" weren't allowed to shoot a buck. Guess what? All I saw were bucks! Fthatclub! Did have a good time drinking and eating...
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 11:58 AM

Not on a lease this year, first time in 20 years, but I love to sit in a blind all day, grab a soft sided cooler full of beer, a large empty plastic gallon jug, I phone, ear buds, my favorite play list and some snacks, when the Rut is on it's freaking amazing, I just love it.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 12:24 PM

Most of the deer hunting I've seen in Texas is a transnational matter. You show up. You sit. You wait for the deer to show up at the feeder like they always do. You shoot a deer. Odds of success, almost 100%.

In the north you're usually in a tree stand over a food plot. Gun season in many states is VERY short. In Wisconsin it's 9 days. Most serious hunters bow hunt otherwise the season would be short. Odds are decent if you just want meat and are okay with taking a doe. Bucks are another matter. A lot of guys I know will sit 30+ times a season hoping for a single chance at a decent buck. No drinking or smoking when you're dangling from a tree trying to shoot an ultra alert animal at 20-30 yards with an arrow.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 12:25 PM

with a shopping cart. LOL

quit hunting years ago. lots of money and effort for little return.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 12:34 PM

I just like sitting in the blind and watching, anymore. I let the others shoot and then I just sit back and watch them sweat. Hunting shouldn't be a rigorous exercise. Gutting deer is too much work for me....
Posted By: rj74955

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 02:02 PM

We are trying to fill 3-4 spots for a European pheasant hunt right now, Bob. It's like shooting chickens, you want in?

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: rj74955

We are trying to fill 3-4 spots for a European pheasant hunt right now, Bob. It's like shooting chickens, you want in?

how much is a temporary license? I usually hunt my BIL's farm in grant county just outside of Deer Creek.
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK
with a shopping cart. LOL

me too. Never fired a gun at an animal. Don't care that others do, just not for me.

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 02:23 PM

Posted By: cocodrie

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 02:35 PM

In the mornings I'm in the blind well before dark. I take a thermos of coffee and my gun, maybe my camera and binos. No cell service in the canyon I hunt so I sit there in the dark waiting to see shadows moving across the creek. I can see auodads on the cliff, turkeys, deer, hogs, bobcats, coyotes, hawks and owls. Last year I saw a heron get attacked by turkeys. Doesn't get much better than that. I didn't even pull the trigger last year actually - just paid for the lease and corn and protein to watch animals.

In the evenings I pack an ice chest of beer and get hammered.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 02:39 PM

I just like to get out and find a cool spot to sit. Maybe build a little blind out of the sticks and weeds/shrubs.

But if I have a specific piece of land I hunt regularly, I'll hang a stand or put up a legit blind
Posted By: rj74955

Re: How do you .. - 10/12/18 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: rj74955

how much is a temporary license? I usually hunt my BIL's farm in grant county just outside of Deer Creek.

I think it's $75 for a 5 day, I don't know if they have anything less than that. It's crazy what every states nonresident licenses are now, when we were kids we deer hunted Fort Chaffee in Arkansas for I think it was $15 for a nonresident license and $10 for the tag.
I'll let you know the details when I get them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum