Texas Fishing Forum

Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order

Posted By: fouzman

Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 12:21 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/14/new...m-stranded.html

I get so mad when I read these stories. These people ignored the mandatory evacuation order. Then call 911 when the storm surge comes in, risking the lives of countless other people (rescuers). The authorities should have left them right where THEY chose to stay. Idiots.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 12:26 PM

Yeah, I do tend to be unsympathetic for such people. It's one thing to get trapped by an unanticipated event, but when the media has been giving 24/7 warnings for days on end, there's little reason to be "stranded" and calling for help like this.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 12:27 PM

Don't get mad, it's bad for your B/P.

These folks should be left where they are until after the storm and it is safe. Those gene lines need to cease.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 12:34 PM

F em... they CHOSE TO STAY then now REAP WHAT YOU SOWED!!!
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 12:42 PM

Very frustrating. They should be left too in my opinion.
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: RayBob
Don't get mad, it's bad for your B/P.

These folks should be left where they are until after the storm and it is safe. Those gene lines need to cease.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 12:48 PM

Same thing when idiots drive thru high water and get stuck. I know you cant just let them drown but once rescued they should be beaten with stick.
Posted By: 1ShotNoKills

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 01:11 PM

Sorry you have the wrong number
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 01:11 PM

leave them
Posted By: whnigt

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 01:19 PM

I see leave them. Then when they do and someone dies the family will want to sue the city for not helping them.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 01:28 PM

It’ll be Trump’s fault if they leave them. Send them a bill for services rendered, like an ambulance ride. And see that they pay it.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 01:30 PM

Yup, good luck and best wishes on your choice to stay. Didnt this storm weaken some, or they might really be in a serious situation
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
It’ll be Trump’s fault if they leave them. Send them a bill for services rendered, like an ambulance ride. And see that they pay it.

This I agree with. There's no reason such emergency services due to stupidity should be free.

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: TexDawg
Yup, good luck and best wishes on your choice to stay. Didnt this storm weaken some, or they might really be in a serious situation

Yes, its weakened a LOT and is only a Cat 1 as it makes landfall. Far cry from the Cat 4 monster it was 2 days ago thank goodness.

I agree with the other comment above about having a "charge" that comes for risking rescuers lives over your stupidity!! $5K per person paid by credit card on the spot or you can stay there!! ZERO sympathy given... My family has firemen and cops scattered over both sides and I'm in the Air Force so "service" has always been something we "do" but we SHOULDN'T HAVE TO RISK OUR LIVES FOR DUMBASSES!!
Posted By: nethingthatbites

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 01:35 PM

1) It's already Trumps fault...it was his fault before this storm left Africa, just like it's his fault Puerto Rico didn't distribute all of that water we sent them.
2) I agree, but most will be people already on welfare who had no means to get a significant distance away, and nowhere to stay or afford to stay elsewhere...good luck collecting.
Posted By: CBoone

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 01:37 PM

I agree with leaving the idiots who are able to evacuate but choose not to do so.

However

What about the elderly who have zero family and may not be of sound enough mind to leave? Or flat out just financially unable. It happens unfortunately.

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: CBoone
What about the elderly who have zero family and may not be of sound enough mind to leave? Or flat out just financially unable. It happens unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure that local government, FEMA, red cross, etc. provide buses and shelter inland for anyone needing assistance under a mandatory evacuation order. Except Ray Nagin.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 02:08 PM

I get why people want to stay. They want to protect their property to whatever extent they can and many want to be there to help others after. Floodwaters can keep people out for long periods after the storm moves through. That said, if you choose to stay, you shouldn't expect to get rescued. It should be made know up front nobody is coming in until the storm passes.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 02:26 PM

I don't see one benefit at all in staying. It's not like they are going to work or would be able to save anything if it got bad (which it usually does)
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 03:11 PM

I understand completely why folks stay put.. they don't want to leave their property unprotected, they don't want to leave their pets (some shelters don't allow them) they don't want to stay at a shelter, they can't find a hotel available within a 100 miles, they don't have their own transportation, they don't know if it will be days or weeks before they are allowed back home, they can't afford to leave. In cities where there are plenty of tall buildings and multi level parking lots, the folks nearby almost always stay put unless they have family or friends in areas that are safe and out of the cone of death.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: lconn4
I understand completely why folks stay put.. they don't want to leave their property unprotected, they don't want to leave their pets (some shelters don't allow them) they don't want to stay at a shelter, they can't find a hotel available within a 100 miles, they don't have their own transportation, they don't know if it will be days or weeks before they are allowed back home, they can't afford to leave. In cities where there are plenty of tall buildings and multi level parking lots, the folks nearby almost always stay put unless they have family or friends in areas that are safe and out of the cone of death.

The only 2 of those that make any sense to me are not having transportation or can't afford to leave. And I would bet that most of the people that are staying are not for any of those reasons. Mostly just too hard-headed
Posted By: Caribou

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: nethingthatbites

1) It's already Trumps fault...it was his fault before this storm left Africa, just like it's his fault Puerto Rico didn't distribute all of that water we sent them.
2) I agree, but most will be people already on welfare who had no means to get a significant distance away, and nowhere to stay or afford to stay elsewhere...good luck collecting.

Those are the people I have sympathy for. There are a lot of idiot with the means to leave and choose not to. But there are a lot of people who can’t afford to put gas in their tank to drive inland. Who are old and disabled and who live alone who physically can’t make the trip. Those are the people I worry about. Not the idiots.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 03:54 PM

I have already said it.
What happens when your only lifeboat is a big oak tree limb?
Leave while you can.
Posted By: cactusrat

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 04:01 PM

I understand that why most of the posts here say to let the people who choose to stay deal with it by them self.

But how about the people who can not leave for one reason or the other. During Harvey my car broke down, leaving me stranded for a week still in the path of the storm. Luckily Harvey turned more northward and the worst missed where I was at.

It also cost a lot of money to leave home. Motel gas, and meals can drain the funds rather fast of people who are on a fixed income.

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: cactusrat
It also cost a lot of money to leave home. Motel gas, and meals can drain the funds rather fast of people who are on a fixed income.

That's what shelters and buses are for.
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Originally Posted By: cactusrat

That's what shelters and buses are for.

But that would be an inconvenience
Posted By: 2014NITROZ-7

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 04:35 PM

Leave a message on the 911 line-Sorry for the inconvenience,but we evacuated due to the orders to do so!Stop putting first responders in unnecessary peril due to stupidity.
Posted By: cactusrat

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 04:50 PM

Shelters and buses are not always available in small towns.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 05:39 PM

And on a side note, I have ancestors that helped establish the community of New Bern in the early 1700's. They came from Germany and Switzerland (named after Bern, Switzerland). So I say spare no expense to rescue the twits that ignored the warning in case any are distant kin to me.
Posted By: Icepick

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: bassmanrudy
Originally Posted By: TexDawg
Didnt this storm weaken some?

Yes, its weakened a LOT and is only a Cat 1 as it makes landfall. Far cry from the Cat 4 monster it was 2 days ago thank goodness.

According to the meteorologist I watched, the fact that the Hurricane wind speed slowed means nothing.
Because the Hurricane was a category 4 for a sustained period all of the water it was pushing towards land was still going to hit land, only slower.
Posted By: Streater

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: 2014NITROZ-7
Leave a message on the 911 line-Sorry for the inconvenience,but we evacuated due to the orders to do so!Stop putting first responders, AND THE CAJUN NAVY, in unnecessary peril due to stupidity.
fify
Posted By: Rangerkev

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 06:27 PM

No sympathy here. They should be the last to be helped. I say help the pets first. As far as finances keeping one from leaving. Lame excuse. You can afford a $700.00 cell phone and smokes.
You can catch a ride with someone. Your damn house and material possessions are not worth a life. Idiot's.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 06:34 PM

I ignored a Mandatory Evacuation Order once....Pooped my pants.

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Rangerkev
No sympathy here. They should be the last to be helped. I say help the pets first. As far as finances keeping one from leaving. Lame excuse. You can afford a $700.00 cell phone and smokes.
You can catch a ride with someone. Your damn house and material possessions are not worth a life. Idiot's.

Yep!! Posting all your "woe is me" videos and stuff on your fn expensive cell phone watching your suv get destroyed and crying about that means your priorities are WRONG... they have now(and will always) ways for people to "leave" who WANT to leave. mandatory means just that! Should pull all rescue services back 100 miles and say "f the lot of em they can post videos of themselves drowning"!!
Posted By: Rangerkev

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 07:06 PM

Just heard on the news 3 people have died in Wilmington,N.Carolina. A mother and her infant child were killed when a tree fell on their house. The husband is in the hospital. Another lady died of a heart attack. First responders could not get to her. 100 percent preventable.
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 07:16 PM

I want it to go on the official record that 2 days ago, before Florence even landed, I was the first person to clobber the refugees

Originally Posted By: Scagnetti
Is it too early to start trashing the people who won’t evacuate and when the SHTF, millions of dollars will be spent rescuing them?
Posted By: bschat

Re: Ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order - 09/14/18 07:21 PM

I will admit that I probably have a different attitude to this topic. I lost my house from Rita in 2005, I took what was valuable to me, but I am alive to &%!*?. So any that is able can find away to be ok to rebuild. I know people lost things, but why are so protective over materials items from a storm. We leave the house one time or another, thieves can steal then; or we just that material oriented that I got to safe the wedding ring after or during the 75+ winds,rainfall ?? inches. Are you now in a position to secure the home or are you finding a way to live now after it passes. There is limited water, limited utilities,fuel, and not the best conditions.I do not mind Helping the people that need to be helped or the one make a sure there is a home to come home too. I have done that as firefighter for 17 years. but the help those that use a Hurricane, wildfire, disaster to party or come back in to steal. This as always made me question why I help them. I have lost friends over the years assisting those that there for a for a Hurricane party, loot, or come back to search for the cell phone. You ask to leave for your own good not to hamper the daily issues of living. Mother nature is already doing that.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum