Do you read?

Posted By: swalker9513

Do you read? - 06/13/18 03:27 PM

Posted By: I'm The Dude

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 03:31 PM

Currently reading "The Prize" by Daniel Yergin
Posted By: DCmac

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 04:54 PM

Project Gutenberg (Australia and Canada as well as Great Old USA) among my most-visited and -used websites.
Posted By: SgtDag

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 04:55 PM

Wife reads on average 2-3 books a week. Me...I’m illiterate
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Dag�Bill

my wife too, I read 2-3 books a life
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 05:10 PM

These days mostly John Sandford or Ken Follet books. Go a bit burned out on James Patterson books.
Posted By: retdbasser

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 05:38 PM

Just downloaded Kindle app to android tablet to get off books. Like to read Westerns, Bios, fiction and non-fiction and read about 4 per week. Love books based on real events. Favorite author is W.E.B. Griffin's war stories.
Posted By: CrankAddict

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 05:54 PM

There are usually at least 6 books on my nightstand all in various stages of completion. Which one I pick up depends on the mood I'm in. Listen to tons of audio books and podcasts too. Mostly non-fiction.
Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 05:58 PM

I have my physical library for reference materials and a few old favorites. One room of the house is nothing but bookshelves pretty much, and the paperbacks are double stacked. Kindle is for my "mind candy" fiction... the stuff I'll finish in a day or two at most. Audible is kind of a mix of both but I don't tend to listen to a bunch of fiction.
Posted By: RO519

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 06:27 PM

I just finished "The Subtle Art of not giving a F***" by Mark Manson. Very interesting read
Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 06:34 PM

I'm not certain that anybody in the OT actually fishes, but for those that do, and read, pick up something by John Gierach if you've never given him a go. He's the next best thing to being on the water.

His books (and there are many) all read quick and are just about impossible to put down.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 07:19 PM

Not anymore.
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 07:27 PM

does listening to books on Audible count? I go through about one a month on it.

In college is when I started to read some and Kinky Friedman has some funny stuff. Now days it's almost all non-fiction.
Posted By: Bass Bug

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 07:41 PM

i read Satan is Real the biography of The Louvin Brothers
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 08:01 PM

At any given time I have a good half dozen going. Currently sitting on my night stand:
1. Extreme Ownership - Jocko Willink
2. Why we sleep - Matthew Walker
3. The subtle art of not giving a F* Mark Manson
4. Enlightenment now - Steven Pinker
5. Living with a SEAL: 31 Days Training with the Toughest Man on the Planet -Jesse Itzler
6. We Learn Nothing - Tim Kreider

Depending on my mood I pick up one every night for about an hour before bed. I finish a couple per month.

My favorite book of all time is Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing. It's the most incredible survival story I've ever read. If you read it two things happen. 1. You can't complain for a good month. 2. You come to the realization the generations before us had so much grit as compared to today they almost seem like a different species.

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
At any given time I have a good half dozen going. Currently sitting on my night stand:
5. Living with a SEAL: 31 Days Training with the Toughest Man on the Planet -Jesse Itzler

Depending on my mood I pick up one every night for about an hour before bed. I finish a couple per month.

My favorite book of all time is Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing. It's the most incredible survival story I've ever read. If you read it two things happen. 1. You can't complain for a good month. 2. You come to the realization the generations before us had so much grit as compared to today they almost seem like a different species.

I've just started Extreme Ownership. Common sense stuff when you think about it, but really makes you think and immediately helpful. His podcast is awesome if you haven't checked it out yet.
#3 was really great too.
Check out Tribe of Mentors by Tim Ferriss. It's absolutely inspirational.
https://www.amazon.com/Tribe-Mentors-Sho...rds=tim+ferriss

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 08:08 PM

12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson should also be required reading for all the little snowflakes graduating.

https://www.amazon.com/12-Rules-Life-Ant...0417&sr=1-1
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 08:09 PM

I just saw him at the majestic not to long ago. Never heard of him before. Interesting guy.

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 08:27 PM

So jealous! It sold out before I could get tickets. How was it?
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 08:36 PM

Very interesting. He and I have very similar thoughts on life. I’ve watched quite a few of his YouTube videos since then
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: CrankAddict

I've just started Extreme Ownership. Common sense stuff when you think about it, but really makes you think and immediately helpful. His podcast is awesome if you haven't checked it out yet.
#3 was really great too.

I've read tribe of mentors, I would rate it like 3 stars... I actually thought his prior book on the subject Tools of Titans was much much better. I'd rate that one 4.5 stars. Check it out for sure if you haven't.
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 08:41 PM

I read
Bassmaster
FLW Magazine
BASS Times
and a few shooting magazines.

Other than that I'll wait for the movie

Re: Do you read? - 06/13/18 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: CrankAddict

#3 was really great too.

I've read tribe of mentors, I would rate it like 3 stars... I actually thought his prior book on the subject Tools of Titans was much much better. I'd rate that one 4.5 stars. Check it out for sure if you haven't.

I've heard him talk about it and it's on my list. Got a little out of control on Amazon. When you listen to his podcast he recommends so many books that I just order them all. I've grounded myself until I get through at least half of them.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Do you read? - 06/14/18 02:03 AM

You left off technical code books and procedures. What a pleasure it was to read ASME section 5, 8, & 9 and all of the other code books for the API exams. And to make it even worse is there were open book and closed book exams so you had to memorize lots of it.
Ready to be retired and read for pleasure soon.
Posted By: Magged Out

Re: Do you read? - 06/14/18 03:23 AM

Posted By: 9094

Re: Do you read? - 06/14/18 03:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Dag�Bill

I do also. Habit from being on the road so many years
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Do you read? - 06/14/18 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: retdbasser
Just downloaded Kindle app to android tablet to get off books. Like to read Westerns, Bios, fiction and non-fiction and read about 4 per week. Love books based on real events. Favorite author is W.E.B. Griffin's war stories.

Longmire and Joe Pickett series are both really good.

I’ve started listening to podcasts, as someone mentioned above. There are some very interesting historical podcasts, as well as episodic story podcasts out there. Plus, there are a few sports and comedy podcasts I like. Not reading, but offer some things to think about.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Do you read? - 06/14/18 03:25 PM

I have 116 audio books and add one every month. Does that count?
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Do you read? - 06/14/18 03:29 PM

No, never have been a big reader. Ive only read about 5 novels cover to cover in my life.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Do you read? - 06/14/18 03:44 PM

I read 3 newspapers every day sometimes 4 they are usually the Amarillo Globe news, Daily Oklahoman, and or Dallas Morning News or the Houston Chronicle.
Posted By: Gourdbuster

Re: Do you read? - 06/14/18 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: John175®

Audio books really upped my reading habits after I started working and didn't have as much time to read, now I can listen in the car or while doing busy work at my desk.

BUT there is something special about the smell of a printed hardcover in your hands, especially when you get about halfway through and it just sort of lays open naturally.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Do you read? - 06/14/18 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Gourdbuster
Originally Posted By: John175®

Audio books really upped my reading habits after I started working and didn't have as much time to read, now I can listen in the car or while doing busy work at my desk.

BUT there is something special about the smell of a printed hardcover in your hands, especially when you get about halfway through and it just sort of lays open naturally.

I listen to audio books while fishing. No time to set aside reading a traditional book although I have tons. I do take traditional books on "phone-free" vacations. Nothing like sitting in the shade on a cool afternoon reading a good book.

One book I like is "The Truth Machine" by James Halperin

"The Truth Machine (1996) is a science fiction novel by James L. Halperin about a genius who invents an infallible lie detector. Soon, every citizen must pass a thorough test under a Truth Machine to get a job or receive any sort of license. Eventually, people begin wearing them all the time, thus eliminating dishonesty in all parts of human interaction, and eliminating crime, terrorism and a great deal of general social problems"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Truth_Machine
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Do you read? - 06/14/18 04:16 PM

My favorite book of all time is Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing.

fantastic book. unbelievable what they overcame and survived - those were some smart, hard, mentally/physically tough dudes.
Posted By: Gourdbuster

Re: Do you read? - 06/14/18 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Ted Martin

My favorite book of all time is Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing.

fantastic book. unbelievable what they overcame and survived - those were some smart, hard, mentally/physically tough dudes.

Spoiler alert!!!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum