Texas Fishing Forum

Dog's dying...

Posted By: BCBassCat

Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 02:21 AM

My old dog Bud is not doing well. He's losing himself during the day if you know what I mean. We are in a brand new house so we keep him in a large cage with our smaller dog while we're at work. He won't get up and has really sickly look about him. Not sure what do as far as considering putting him down, if it comes to that he might just be sick. He is well over 13 years old though. Don't like seeing him like this...thoughts?
Posted By: chickenman

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 02:25 AM

Do what you think is best for your friend which may not be easy. Hard situation. Sucks. Sorry to hear it.
Posted By: Westside.

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 02:26 AM

Man idk, but I'm sorry Bud is not feeling well, what does the vet say?
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 02:28 AM

Take Bud to the vet for an evaluation. Prepare mentally, to say goodbye to Bud.
This is a tough situation, but he's likely suffering.
We just lost our black lab two weeks ago in a similar situation.....sux! crying
Posted By: Team Skeeterless

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 02:31 AM

It sucks. Putting one of my last hunting dogs and buddies down on Sat. My dog is 14 1/2 but anything over 10-11 years is an old dog. It’s hsrd to do but when dogs reach that age it’s normally best thing for the dog.
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 02:33 AM

Had to put down my best bud last week, it sucks. He had a bleeding tumor on his spleen. Take him to the vet
Posted By: SgtDag

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: fishmagnet
Take Bud to the vet for an evaluation. Prepare mentally, to say goodbye to Bud.
This is a tough situation, but he's likely suffering.
We just lost our black lab two weeks ago in a similar situation.....sux! crying

This, and sorry for the pain y’all are going through. Just remember that rainbow!
Posted By: DanDaBald

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 02:46 AM

Sometimes the hardest decision to make is the right one.

13 for a canine is approximately 90 human years.
I can only hope to see 90 years and by then I won't want to suffer.
I hope we have (human) assisted suicide here in Texas by then.

Take him to the vet and have him checked out - good luck.
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 02:49 AM

Quick and fast brother...
Posted By: DI

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 02:59 AM

My Boxer is heading toward 10, his attitude is same body is not. Hard seeing him get old. Good luck.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 03:03 AM

Definitely get him checked out. I'm sorry he and y'all are going through this. Preema was 17 when I took her to the vet for the last timbre. That was February 2 and it's still hard to believe she's not here anymore. I'll pay for guidance for you and that Bud recovers

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Westside.
Man idk, but I'm sorry Bud is not feeling well, what does the vet say?

Thanks man. We just got him home Monday from the vet, we kenneled him while out of town for the weekend. Normally he'll be out of sorts for a day and then everything's fine. Perhaps it's a bug or something. Will give it another day and see.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 03:07 AM

Could be the dog flu, or dehydration.
Posted By: fish4bass

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 03:08 AM

Originally Posted By: BCBassCat
My old dog Bud is not doing well. He's losing himself during the day if you know what I mean. We are in a brand new house so we keep him in a large cage with our smaller dog while we're at work. He won't get up and has really sickly look about him. Not sure what do as far as considering putting him down, if it comes to that he might just be sick. He is well over 13 years old though. Don't like seeing him like this...thoughts?

I feel for you friend. Don't let him suffer.

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 03:08 AM

Thanks for the well wishes and kind words fellas. Will keep you posted.
Posted By: Siberman

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 04:26 AM

Take him in and see what's wrong . It's hard to let go but it's better than seeing them suffer .

Prayers up for y'all .
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 04:26 AM

When you think its time its already past time.

Just put mine down 3 or 4 weeks ago and I think I did her good, she didnt suffer too long.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 01:59 PM

I feel for you, mine is pushing 15 yo but still has a bit of spunk left, she also frequently shows her age with extreme lethargy and sluggishness. I think you will know when its that time, again im sorry but its part of it

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 02:03 PM

Update...He was up and moving this morning wagging his tail a little while I was sitting outside with them. Good sign.
Posted By: Jon

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 02:08 PM

Very sorry to hear about your dog. See what the vet has to say and go fro there.
I had one we thought was going to have to be put down and turned out his anal glands were just clogged up and putting pressure on nerves that had him crippled up. He’s still going strong. Like said above hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.
Posted By: Texasredneck70

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 02:57 PM

angel for the pup...
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: BCBassCat

What does your vet advise?
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 04:26 PM

i asked my vet why you always had to put dogs down
he said "If they were in the wild, they would have died a couple of years back."
Sorry Friend
Posted By: Trebor Neil

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 05:52 PM

Makes me really appreciate the closeness of our two ol gals.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 06:42 PM

This. I put my lab down last week.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 07:26 PM

Take him to the vet to ensure he's not suffering. It's hard. I'll be doing it soon, too. My babe is almost 16yrs old Golden. God Bless your dog!
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 07:46 PM

My lab got sick and laid around all day and occasionally peeing himself. I spent night after night grilling a chicken breast and white rice so he would eat something. Some days he ate, others wouldn't. Eventually I decided to put him down, and as sad as it was, it was nice knowing he was done suffering. He had several cancerous lumps, so I knew time was running out, but doesn't make it any easier. I was really lonely on the boat for several months because I would always pull up to shore, light a cigar and then throw a bottle for him to swim and fetch. That is what I missed the most.

Good luck, hope he turns it around, if not, God Bless!
Posted By: wyliepirate

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 09:23 PM

Hope he bounces back, it's tough.
Posted By: militarybrat

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/25/18 09:42 PM

It's one of the toughest things dog lovers have to do (make the choice). I hold them while the vet puts them down they have more than earned that. Yeah they take a piece of me with them they also leave a piece of them with me. Bitter Sweet is what it is.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Dog's dying... - 05/26/18 01:02 AM

Last November, I lost my blond, long hair, daschund, Greta. I held her for hours til I couldn't anymore. I layed her beside me and had my hand on her caressing her when the time came. I was with her until the end. Stay with your special friend to the end.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum