Texas Fishing Forum

Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ?

Posted By: Kay Dyson

Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 12:48 PM

We're going to be traveling to Raleigh Durham international 8 times over the next 2-3 months. Coach seating is a beating for me, I can't get comfortable no matter what I do. Medical issues such as neuropathy, makes it very unpleasant.. I'm not a world traveler, never have been, but I thought I'd reach out to see if anyone knew any way to upgrade that doesn't involve great amounts of money.
Thanks in advance.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 12:54 PM

Posted By: txshotgun

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 12:54 PM

It’s difficult to upgrade, without paying cash, out of DFW and flying to another hub unless your a top tier loyalty program member. At least on American Airlines.
It might be easier if you’re flying on Delta or United. Maybe someone else knows...
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 01:00 PM

Show some cleavage?
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 01:02 PM

Fly with your emotional support peacock
Posted By: Frenzy

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 01:06 PM

Pony up for better seats?
Posted By: von rage

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 01:06 PM

I don't know of any secrets. Seems like every seat on American has become a premium seat and requires extra money unless it is a middle seat. I just pay extra and do exit row.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 01:12 PM

You may try getting a mileage rewards credit card from Chase, or Capital One, and using the points to get better seats. Also, look to see the configuration of the airplane and find one with the most room.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Show some cleavage?
That's just good advice for every situation.
Posted By: fisherinok

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 01:13 PM

Consider looking into an AA credit card and using it for bookings. I know with United you can pay alittle bit of an annual fee to upgrade your flying status and then you accumulate points faster.

I have found that getting bumped up to business class just doesn't happen unless you are flying really really late at night. There is a large contingent of folks who travel for their jobs and have a huge amount of miles/status with their airlines. For someone who only flies occasionally you might be inline for an upgrade but you are 15th on the list and there are only three unbooked.

The only other suggestion is try doing some research at flyertalk.com, they seem to have experts on every rewards program possible.
Posted By: john h

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 01:25 PM

If by upgrade you mean moved to first class it is not going to happen unless you have many miles with that airline.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 01:27 PM

Which airline are you flying? If they offer online check-in, you can sometimes purchase a seat upgrade if you do it at the earliest check-in time available (with Alaska airlines, their online check-in is 24 hours before the flight).

The other option for you, since this is just regular domestic flying, is to do an expedia search for the best available first class airfare. If you're not buying at the last minute, you may be able to lock in decently priced first class seats.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 01:46 PM

If you’re going to Raleigh/Durham for what I think you are, I hope everything goes well.

I’m no help on getting upgraded for free. I can barely get a seat in the first two thirds of the plane and I’m gold status.
Posted By: dallasdawg

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 01:48 PM

As a frequent flyer for work, it is pretty difficult to get upgrades these days. I am gold status on American, and I am usually #14-17 on the list to upgrade on domestic flights...even further down on international. In 3.5 years in this job, I have gotten upgraded once on a work flight. I have been upgraded twice on personal trips at Christmas time. Without status, your best bet is to just fork out the cash for the seat or use any miles you might have.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 01:50 PM

Ask for the mile high club and you'll get bumped up. thumb
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Zeek
Which airline are you flying?

So far all flights have been on AA.
Thanks DuckHunter, you are correct. I'm very fortunate to be chosen for a trial using Car-T cells..
Exciting, new technology, I'm # 17, a little history being made so my doctor tells me.. cheers
Posted By: 9094

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 01:57 PM

Fly at off times such as middle of the day or very late at night. Usually if there are any seats open in 1st and few people on the upgrade list they will sell the upgrade seat for about 75.00. You have to use the electronic kiosk checking at the airport to get this.
That is about the only way and it has to be on a very off time flight where there are lots of open seats. Get to cjeck in early

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
Originally Posted By: Uncle Zeek
Which airline are you flying?

So far all flights have been on AA.
Thanks DuckHunter, you are correct. I'm very fortunate to be chosen for a trial using Car-T cells..
Exciting, new technology, I'm # 17, a little history being made so my doctor tells me.. cheers

Prayers up, sir.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 02:19 PM

First off- I hope that the treatment you receive works. Prayers for you and the Doctors.

There are several ways to make your flights more tolerable. Coach has turned into Coach minus and seats that are around 31"pitch. Main Cabin Extra on AA (MCE) is basically what coach use to be like 10 years ago. Unless a person is Concierge Key or Executive Plat, there should be no reasonable expectation to get a computer upgrade.

Suggestions;
Try to get exit row, if legroom is most important , but the compromise is a narrower seat because the tray table is in the arm rest and some seats won't recline.
If you don't care about inflight entertainment, try to book on a MD80, coach seats have more space than 738, 319, 320, 321.
Fly at off peak times if possible, mid week late at night, Saturday or Sunday Mornings
Airlines have dropped the price of 1st class tiks, they would rather sell them at a discount vs. upgrading passengers. Good deals are out there if booking far enough in advance or willing to connect.
There is a website, Expertflyer If you pay to join (I think its a small fee), a person can see the seat inventory on a given flight. 1st class seats have a bunch of different fare classes so you could pick a flight that would allow a milage upgrade at time of booking.

Good luck
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 02:19 PM

without purchasing a first class seat, as others have stated your chances of an upgrade are minimal unless you are Platinum or above. even at platinum, you'd be doing well to bat .350. half the people on the plane will be gold level which don't get you much these days.

For a DFW/RDU round trip, with advance purchase, main cabin runs typically $300-$380, if you want to purchase a first class seat it is typically about double that - $700-$800.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 02:39 PM

Take a pair of your drawers that have been to outer space (with documentation), you never know when someone is willing to deal.

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Fitz®
First off- I hope that the treatment you receive works. Prayers for you and the Doctors.

There are several ways to make your flights more tolerable. Coach has turned into Coach minus and seats that are around 31"pitch. Main Cabin Extra on AA (MCE) is basically what coach use to be like 10 years ago. Unless a person is Concierge Key or Executive Plat, there should be no reasonable expectation to get a computer upgrade.

Suggestions;
Try to get exit row, if legroom is most important , but the compromise is a narrower seat because the tray table is in the arm rest and some seats won't recline.
If you don't care about inflight entertainment, try to book on a MD80, coach seats have more space than 738, 319, 320, 321.
Fly at off peak times if possible, mid week late at night, Saturday or Sunday Mornings
Airlines have dropped the price of 1st class tiks, they would rather sell them at a discount vs. upgrading passengers. Good deals are out there if booking far enough in advance or willing to connect.
There is a website, Expertflyer If you pay to join (I think its a small fee), a person can see the seat inventory on a given flight. 1st class seats have a bunch of different fare classes so you could pick a flight that would allow a milage upgrade at time of booking.

Good luck

This is good advice, especially choosing flights that are not at peak times, if possible with your schedule. With regional airports, like RDU, you might be able to get on less than full flights where you can move around after boarding because there are a lot of empty seats.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 03:17 PM

I have had good success with being the first at the counter when the flight staff arrive and just ask. It works about 80% of the time I can get an exit row or isle seat in most cases. Even after the plane has boarded the stewardess has re seated me based on a vacancy and a simple request. Prayers and Good luck RedSkeeter in all things.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 03:44 PM

Praying for you Billy
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 03:56 PM

I guess it depends on what you mean by upgraded. If you mean just getting a more desireable coach seat (aisle, exit row, bulkhead and such) the best trick is to be at the gate when the flight staff gets there and just ask. However, make sure you give them a few minutes to get settled in and logged on. As for upgrading to a premium class (first or business), as stated above it's really all but impossible unless you're paying for it in some way (cash, points, loyalty, VIP). The reason being if the airline upgrades a person to a premium class they must be able to justify to the other people in coach why that person was upgraded when others weren't. So even in the event of a flight that is over sold in coach the airline will not bump customers from coach to a premium class unless they pay for the upgrade.
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: SoonerDG
I guess it depends on what you mean by upgraded. If you mean just getting a more desireable coach seat (aisle, exit row, bulkhead and such) the best trick is to be at the gate when the flight staff gets there and just ask.

That's a good point. on American you can choose an exit row or bulkhead for just a little more cash at the time of booking - i don't recall exactly what they charge but it seems like $20-$30 depending on the seat. The earlier you book the better in terms of seat availability.
Posted By: RipDaLips

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 04:42 PM

1st class seats are less if join the airlines frequent flyer program.

Also, you may not need to upgrade to 1st class. Instead maybe pay a few $$ more for a coach seat that has more leg room etc.

Use https://www.seatguru.com to find the better seats in coach class.
Posted By: H.Town_paddler

Re: Any secrets on how to upgrade seats on a flight ? - 04/25/18 05:25 PM

Get your doctor to say the first class seat is medically necessary and bill your insurance the difference in price. You're welcome and good luck!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum