Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop?

Posted By: Urban Fisher

Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop? - 03/13/18 06:17 PM

There is some stuff I want to do to the Vanster. I live in an apartment complex and they have rules about working on vehicles in the parking lot (which I think is stupid!). But anyway I found a DIY auto shop not too far from me. $20.00 an hour....does that sound about right? Does anyone know of any car clubs where people rent or have a common garage that people can hang out and work on their vehicles?
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop? - 03/13/18 06:21 PM

Intriguing. What does that $20 per hour include? Disposal site for used oil? Power? Compressed air for your tools?
Posted By: grandpa75672

Re: Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop? - 03/13/18 06:22 PM

You are renting a stall and tools.
You are your own mechanic.
They probably charge extra if you require their help.

Re: Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop? - 03/13/18 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Zeek
Intriguing. What does that $20 per hour include? Disposal site for used oil? Power? Compressed air for your tools?

Good questions. Below is the link to the shop I'm looking at. Haven't been there yet, but I'll probably swing by on my way home from work just to check the place out (and ask some questions).

http://www.turnersdiy.com/
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop? - 03/13/18 06:25 PM

We used to have one a Carswell AFB. Very handy and very cheap.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop? - 03/13/18 06:28 PM

Your link says that they provide: "the bay, lifts, air tools, power tools, and basic tools, along with other equipment"

I'd pay $20 to have access to all that stuff for basic maintenance. I hate having to jack the front end of the car up & put it on stands just to change the oil ... not to mention laying on my back under the car.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop? - 03/13/18 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Yep, I think every Air Force Base has one, spent many a day working on the old hot rods. I don't remember what they cost, if anything. Had just about every tool under the sun.

Re: Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop? - 03/13/18 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: rj74955

Yep, I think every Air Force Base has one, spent many a day working on the old hot rods. I don't remember what they cost, if anything. Had just about every tool under the sun.

and the old man there knew how to fix anything.
Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop? - 03/13/18 06:38 PM

Your link says that they provide: "the bay, lifts, air tools, power tools, and basic tools, along with other equipment"

I'd pay $20 to have access to all that stuff for basic maintenance. I hate having to jack the front end of the car up & put it on stands just to change the oil ... not to mention laying on my back under the car.

That's a really great idea.

Re: Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop? - 03/13/18 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Kattelyn

they had one in denton, but unfortunately it didn't last. I think the price is fair considering.
Posted By: RickS.

Re: Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop? - 03/13/18 07:58 PM

First I heard about them. But a really cool idea. A spray booth would be cool also.
I don't have a Mustang anymore. I would have loved to have one of those shops when I did work on one. They sit so low that it became a major back ache if I was doing anything that took any amount of time. I've been thinking about doing some stuff to the Jeep. If there is one around. I may have some plans in the works.

Re: Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop? - 03/13/18 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Kattelyn

Originally Posted By: RickS.
First I heard about them. But a really cool idea.

I had this idea a few years ago. It was going to be the make me rich idea. Then after a lot of thinking and planning I thought...Hmmm wonder if anyone else has thought of this? Thanks to Google, I found out, sure enough people have already been doing this and apparently for many years! So I'm not rich, but I agree, for shade tree mechanics these shops are wonderful. Even better now a days when it's easy to diagnose an issue and find how to fix/replace it with the use of Google and YouTube. Biggest downside for most when working on a car, the room and the tools. These shops take care of both.
Posted By: SgtDag

Re: Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop? - 03/13/18 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: rj74955

and the old man there knew how to fix anything.

I wish, most auto shops on base have closed due to budget cuts. Don’t think I’ve seen one on an AF base in a few years
Posted By: Moto-Moto

Re: Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop? - 03/13/18 08:38 PM

Yes sir. Damn good deal IMO.
Posted By: H.Town_paddler

Re: Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop? - 03/13/18 09:04 PM

They had one on Ft Knox. I had a buddy that used it a few times. He always said it was great. I don't know what they were charging for an hour.
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop? - 03/13/18 09:16 PM

there was one in irving at macarthur and pioneer back in the 70's and 80's, 10.00 an hour
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop? - 03/13/18 09:24 PM

I can’t find a place like this in north Texas still open-
Last one I found was in Plano that closed in 2014-
I like this idea-

Re: Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop? - 03/13/18 09:44 PM

Well shoot! I swung by the place and couldn’t find it. Looked to be in a small industrial park but no sign. So I called them. He said they moved to a new location. Ok, what’s the new address? Well we’re not open!...? Said the new shop doesn’t have electricity nor water yet. Said it would probably be a couple weeks. Damit! I did speak with him a bit. Seemed like a really nice guy. Told him my biggest job is replacing an air blending actuator for the heat/ac system (which means removing most of the dash board). Said it shouldn’t be a problem and he could help. Said he doesn’t charge to answer questions or simple help like moving something that would take more than one person to move/remove. But he said if he starts doing all the work he may charge, but it’s open for negotiation. Seemed like a really nice straightforward dude.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop? - 03/13/18 09:45 PM

I used them in the Navy. We sandblasted our spark plugs in a special little cabinet back then.
Posted By: PaulGrapevine

Re: Anyone Ever Use a DIY Auto Shop? - 03/13/18 11:50 PM

I’ve heard good things about those shops. I wish there was one close to me for wood working.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum