Texas Fishing Forum

Good By Carbon Based Industries

Posted By: a777pilot

Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 03:58 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/03/1...ntcmp=obnetwork

If this is true, and I believe it is, gas, oil, coal, internal combustible engine industries will all go the way of the buggy whip business.

The future will be very different indeed. I'm just a bit disappointed that I will not see it. I see great improvements coming. Clean air, abundant fresh water, cheap energy, the middle east turned back to a desert vice a killing ground and many others.

Interesting times.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 04:05 PM

I don't understand the physics of it, I'm out.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 04:06 PM

I've read about cold fusion for a decade. I'm not buying in at the point.
Posted By: Derek ðŸ

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

I'm buying it. Fusion is what fixed Tigers back and now he has a 192 mph golf swing.

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 04:09 PM

It's NOT cold fusion. It's contained fusion. Oh, yes, believe it.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 04:11 PM

I do wish that there were some way of letting Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein know about this ... if this information is true, then humanity may finally be able to expand to the solar system and eventually to the stars.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 04:16 PM

Market forces drive deployment of innovation. As long as the cost is comparable to fossil fuel energy production it will take over.

If it requires citizen subsidies(government) to compete then it's not a daisy, it's not a daisy at all.

Another aspect is whether is ever enters the free-market for multiple companies to deploy. If it is single sourced...never works out well.

I hope for the best but we've been fooled before.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 04:18 PM

Massive government agencies and regulation are probably on the drawing board just waiting to be unleashed on this new industry.
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Derek 🐝

I'm buying it. Fusion is what fixed Tigers back and now he has a 192 mpg golf swing.

True, it was on the cover of Popular Mechanics
Posted By: MBradford

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 04:26 PM

I'm buying it. Fusion is what fixed Tigers back and now he has a 192 mpg golf swing.

Is that city, highway, or combined?
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 04:43 PM

Problem is, the fuel is He3 (Helium 3). Very rare on Earth, but not on the moon. Why do you think Elon Musk and others are into the rocket launch and recovery business?
Posted By: Kentucky

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 04:55 PM

pipe dream

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Kentucky
pipe dream

So was heavier than air powered flight till Gustave Whitehead did it in August of 1901.

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 06:29 PM

Quote:

In a startling announcement a few days ago, Jane's All the World's Aircraft has named an August 1901 flight by Connecticut aviation pioneer Gustave Whitehead as the first successful powered flight in history, beating the Wright brothers' first flight by more than two years.

Unquote.

Just in case you are questioning me.
Posted By: Kentucky

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 06:49 PM

nope , not questioning , just realize all the hoops they will go thru to test and put this into production. what about waste ? how do you dispose of that ? what about if they are in an accident ? still a long way off in my opinion
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishin' Nut
Problem is, the fuel is He3 (Helium 3). Very rare on Earth, but not on the moon. Why do you think Elon Musk and others are into the rocket launch and recovery business?

I’m reading this part of the article differently. Am I missing something?

Quote:
Fusion, as the name suggests, is the exact opposite of fission. Instead of ripping atoms apart, extremely plentiful atoms like hydrogen are smashed together, giving off helium and a huge amount of energy.
Posted By: Urban Fisher

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: a777pilot
Quote:

In a startling announcement a few days ago, Jane's All the World's Aircraft has named an August 1901 flight by Connecticut aviation pioneer Gustave Whitehead as the first successful powered flight in history, beating the Wright brothers' first flight by more than two years.

Unquote.

roflmao
Not to be a DB, but just cause it's in quotes it means it's true? Where is the source of the quote?

"Urban Fisher once again is named man of the year for the fifth year in a row."

It's in quotes so there you go!...LOL!

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Urban Fisher

Did you share the cover with Bruce/Caitlyn?
Posted By: Urban Fisher

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Hancock

Did you share the cover with Bruce/Caitlyn?

No that was Dan's year, but that was woman of the year, not man.
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 07:14 PM

roflmao
Posted By: SheldonS

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 07:16 PM

thumb
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 07:26 PM

Someday, maybe. I hope. Right now I think we're still quite a ways off from practical applications.

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/13/18 09:10 PM

nope , not questioning , just realize all the hoops they will go thru to test and put this into production. what about waste ? how do you dispose of that ? what about if they are in an accident ? still a long way off in my opinion

Yes, they will have problems getting this online.

There is no waste material.

RE, accident: The worse I can think of would be a loss of magnetic containment and that would stop the reaction, so no big deal to the public. The reactor would be toast.....literally.

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/14/18 12:37 AM

Quote:

Unquote.

roflmao

Not to be a DB, but just cause it's in quotes it means it's true? Where is the source of the quote?

I think my source was in the quote: Jane's All the World's Aircraft.

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/14/18 12:39 AM

http://www.gustave-whitehead.com/history/jane-s-foreword-march-8-2013/

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/14/18 12:46 AM

RE, accident: The worse I can think of would be a loss of magnetic containment and that would stop the reaction, so no big deal to the public. The reactor would be toast.....literally.

Good bye to jet fuel too?
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/14/18 04:07 AM

pipe dream

So was heavier than air powered flight till Gustave Whitehead did it in August of 1901.

What about the guy below AND in quotes.

"Almost 38 years before Kitty Hawk, a German immigrant to Texas, Jacob Brodbeck, designed and flew his steampunkish spring-powered plane sometime between 1865 and 1868 — accounts vary — either near Luckenbach or San Antonio."

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/14/18 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: lconn4
pipe dream

What about the guy below AND in quotes.

"Almost 38 years before Kitty Hawk, a German immigrant to Texas, Jacob Brodbeck, designed and flew his steampunkish spring-powered plane sometime between 1865 and 1868 — accounts vary — either near Luckenbach or San Antonio."

I did not know that story. Thanks for sharing. It seems he traveled 100 feet and gained an altitude of 12 feet. I would say that constitutes the first flight.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/14/18 11:59 PM

I am thinking trips is counting on this being true. He said he would probably not be around to see it.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/15/18 12:26 AM

https://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/who-flew-first-290750/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...irst-in-flight/

Lots of thoughts on Whitehead here. I have long heard of the flights but never looked it up to this extent.

Janes may be right. I would think that the numerous people lobbying convinced them. To me it sounds like there is ample proof against him having the said flight in question.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/15/18 04:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Allison1

Lots of thoughts on Whitehead here. I have long heard of the flights but never looked it up to this extent.

Janes may be right. I would think that the numerous people lobbying convinced them. To me it sounds like there is ample proof against him having the said flight in question.

Oddly enough, I found a lengthy expose on this in the March 2018 issue of “Who Gives A [censored]” magazine.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/15/18 03:57 PM

" it would also be a panacea for climate change." This killed it for me. It sounds like a plea for unlimited government funding. I'm thinking another Solendra.
Posted By: Icepick

Re: Good By Carbon Based Industries - 03/15/18 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Sawhorse
Originally Posted By: Allison1

Oddly enough, I found a lengthy expose on this in the March 2018 issue of “Who Gives A [censored]” magazine.

roflmao
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum