Texas Fishing Forum

Best brand of store bought summer sausage

Posted By: Jacob

Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 12:17 AM

What is it? The ones I’ve gotten so far are very bland. Very little flavor.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 12:19 AM

I am still searching as well...
Posted By: fish4bass

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 12:22 AM

Head up to Muenster TX to Fischers .... they got the goods. German Engineering. And every other type of sausage you might like. They have their own feed lots and slaughter houses. Made in the USA.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: fish4bass
Head up to Muenster TX to Fischers .... they got the goods. German Engineering. And every other type of sausage you might like. They have their own feed lots and slaughter houses. Made in the USA.

This 100
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: BCBassCat

This 100

Yep.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigbob_FTW
Originally Posted By: BCBassCat

This 100

Yep.

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 12:44 AM

PSA.. thier Pastrami and saurkraut are excellent. The fresh made Kraut is in the vegetable counter. Their salsa is off the hook. Also in the vegetable counter.
Posted By: Icepick

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 12:45 AM

By far the best summer sausage in Texas can be found at Green's sausage, Zabcikville.

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Icepick®
By far the best summer sausage in Texas can be found at Green's sausage, Zabcikville.

Lol... Assuming you tried ever Summer Sausage in the state. But good tip.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 01:01 AM

Greens is closer to Nac but both recommendations are on point. Love me some fichers food

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 01:09 AM

Anyone who has fished Moss lake will notice peirs and chimnys for a couple of miles. POW camp during WW II .... they were released and settled here as good citizens. The streets in Muenster are twice as wide a normal US streets. German Engineering. They also built Lake Texoma. There is a plauqe at the Dam that says it was engineered and built by German POW's.
Posted By: SheldonS

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 01:21 AM

Anyone who has fished Moss lake will notice peirs and chimnys for a couple of miles. POW camp during WW II .... they were released and settled here as good citizens. The streets in Muenster are twice as wide a normal US streets. German Engineering. They also built Lake Texoma.

Muenster was German way before the wars.

Most POWs were repatriated to Germany.

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: SheldonS
Anyone who has fished Moss lake will notice peirs and chimnys for a couple of miles. POW camp during WW II .... they were released and settled here as good citizens. The streets in Muenster are twice as wide a normal US streets. German Engineering. They also built Lake Texoma.

When was Texoma built?

"By 1942, much of the labor on the facilities was provided by German prisoners of war (POWs). These men were members of the Afrika Korps, who had been captured by the U.S. Army in North Africa. They were the first POWs used in labor camps by the U.S. "
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 01:24 AM

Got a Buc-ees out your way? If so, their jalapeno cheese summer sausage is good.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 01:28 AM

finished in '44
Posted By: Jacob

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 01:33 AM

I’ve had some great summer sausage from Woody’s in Centerville, but that’s still quite a drive. Didn’t know if Brookshires, Jroger, HEB, or Wally World sold anything worthwhile. Tried some from Atwood’s too, about the same.

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Beer Money
Got a Buc-ees out your way? If so, their jalapeno cheese summer sausage is good.

I will try it next time I am at a Buc-ees. cheers
Posted By: SheldonS

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 01:34 AM

When was Texoma built?

"By 1942, much of the labor on the facilities was provided by German prisoners of war (POWs). These men were members of the Afrika Korps, who had been captured by the U.S. Army in North Africa. They were the first POWs used in labor camps by the U.S. "

Yes you are correct plus a variety of other things they worked on. Maybe if I wrote this instead it might make it a little more clear.

Most POWs were repatriated to Germany after the war. It was very uncommon for a German POW to stay in the USA because of regulations. Some came back to the USA after helping clean up in Europe.
Posted By: TR176

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 01:37 AM

Go to Kroger’s and sample the Boars Head. Their stuff is produced for mass tastes but it is of good quality.
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 01:42 AM

https://www.granzinsmarket.com

Order it and thank me latter. Much better than Muenster, by far.

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Have not tried it. Do they have their own feed lots?
Posted By: justme1581

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 01:50 AM

As good as I have found,especially if you can get to their store in Mo, much better price than shipped...

https://www.smokehouse.com/burgers.nsf/item/ozark-summer-sausage
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Have not tried it. Do they have their own feed lots?

I am not sure, they have a hell of a meat counter.

Their dry sausage is unbelievablely good. The hot is to hot though.

Walk in the store and meats hanging from the ceiling. Awesome place.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 03:19 AM

When was Texoma built?

Yes you are correct plus a variety of other things they worked on. Maybe if I wrote this instead it might make it a little more clear.

Most POWs were repatriated to Germany after the war. It was very uncommon for a German POW to stay in the USA because of regulations. Some came back to the USA after helping clean up in Europe.

German POWs also did a lot of the construction at Augusta National GC—including the famous bridges that cross Rae’s Creek
Also built many of the building structures on White Rock lake in Dallas

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx

German POWs also did a lot of the construction at Augusta National GC—including the famous bridges that cross Rae’s Creek
Also built many of the building structures on White Rock lake in Dallas

Yep... I am an IT guy and work with them daily. Smart peeps. And like Beer. Will drink a man under the table.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 05:51 AM

Hess meat market is in Muenster, too. If I remember correctly, the owner actually started Fishers and later sold it. They processed my venison and I had quite a bit made into jalepeno cheese summer sausage! And it’s damn good!!
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 06:30 AM

I will vouch for granzines as well. Good stuff.
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 01:29 PM

Slovacek's in Snook
Posted By: greenen

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 01:30 PM

I like Green's as well. They also process and made my buddy some excellent jalapeno summer sausage from and Axis he killed.
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: leethefishking
I will vouch for granzines as well. Good stuff.

Their meat and deli counter is good quality and tasty stuff. Their game processing on the other hand, well, don’t expect to get the meat from your animals back. No way in hell I would pay them to process a deer or hog.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: fmrmbmlm
Slovacek's in Snook
j

Those bluejays can smoke sausage
Posted By: Arkansas10 bass

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 02:11 PM

Best I've ever had.

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: fmrmbmlm
Slovacek's in Snook

Love their hot links and garlic sausage. Will give their Summer Sausage a try.
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 03:29 PM

I have recently tried some from Sprouts deli and bought some more last week it is good for what is available here semi local
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/25/18 09:38 PM

Whittakers Pride Summer Sausage with jalapeño and cheese.

From College of the Ozarks Keeter Center in Point Lookout, MO just south of Branson.

They raise the pigs, make the cheese, and grow the jalapeño right there at the college.

I bought 6 full length last time and have 1 left. Will buy 10 next time in June.

If you ever go to Branson do yourself a favor and make reservations to eat and even sleep at the Keeter Center.
Posted By: opus

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/26/18 02:26 AM

Slovacek's in West
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/26/18 05:19 AM

Can't believe no one has suggested Johnsonville summer sausage. Good stuff if you can find it. Being from Wisconsin (been in Texas 30 years) I've tried a lot of summer sausage and Johnsonville is the best. I've only found it in a few stores around here. Winnco has it. Check their website to see who else has it.
Posted By: Space

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/26/18 02:05 PM

Bellville Meat Market has the best around here.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/26/18 02:17 PM

popcorn peep

Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/26/18 02:58 PM

http://www.hickoryfarms.com/meat-cheese/...2hoCUy8QAvD_BwE

Got some for Christmas. Forgot how good it was for 'Store bought'.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/26/18 05:55 PM

Been a while since the last OT sausagefest.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/26/18 06:51 PM

Best summer sausage is made and sold in Oconomowoc Wisconsin. Not sure it is even available for shipping if it was it would have to be shipped on ice. 5 things you cannot beat Wisconsin for are: beer, milk, sausage, butter, & cheese.
Posted By: SlickTrick

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/27/18 11:23 PM

I love Fischer's the best. But since we are really talking only store bought(chains)I assume then I would have to go with Old Wisconsin. Now there is place in Fredericksburg Tx called Opa's. it is like Fischer's and very good. Well they do sale there regular summer sausage or jalapeno/cheese sausage here are one of our local grocery store's. Since that is the case they are my to go to for store bought summer sausage.

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/28/18 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: SlickTrick
I love Fischer's the best. But since we are really talking only store bought(chains)I assume then I would have to go with Old Wisconsin. Now there is place in Fredericksburg Tx called Opa's. it is like Fischer's and very good. Well they do sale there regular summer sausage or jalapeno/cheese sausage here are one of our local grocery store's. Since that is the case they are my to go to for store bought summer sausage.

Opa's is good. They also make some kick arse pickled quail eggs with Jalapenos. Great boat food. Could be Oma's on the quail eggs. As far as store bought Summer Sausage... If it does not require refrigeration... OUT.
Posted By: SlickTrick

Re: Best brand of store bought summer sausage - 02/28/18 06:12 AM

Opa's is good. They also make some kick arse pickled quail eggs with Jalapenos. Great boat food. Could be Oma's on the quail eggs. As far as store bought Summer Sausage... If it does not require refrigeration... OUT. [/quote]

Agree on refrigeration for sure. Will have to try the quail eggs.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum