Texas Fishing Forum

WW2 Gun

Posted By: H.Town_paddler

WW2 Gun - 02/24/18 10:24 PM

I don't know why but I've been wanting a WW2 era pew pew for a while now. Collectors Firearms is close to my work so I've gone and looked at a few. But what do you guys think I should look at? I don't really care about condition as long as it's authentic and functional. Trying to keep it under $2,000.
Posted By: Jacob

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/24/18 10:38 PM

I have an M1 30 carbine. It’s a hoot to shoot and surprisingly accurate. Ammo is a bit pricey.
Posted By: Emit R Detsaw

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/24/18 10:39 PM

I'd love to have my FIL's Springfield 1903 sniper rifle, but when he passed on one of his sons got it. Those are more than you are wanting to spend though. Think most are in the $5000 and up range.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/24/18 10:49 PM

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/24/18 10:51 PM

Shop around for a decent quality M1 Garand. You can always find replacement parts, spare clips, etc for it.

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/24/18 11:18 PM

Garands are historically significant rifles but can be pricey; at a much lower price point consider the Swiss K-31. Like everything else made in Switzerland the quality is top notch, there will be no battle wear because no one wants to take on the Swiss, and they have a reputation for a high level of accuracy.
Posted By: fish4bass

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 12:02 AM

Not a rifle ... but a Browning Pump Shotgun was popular with the Marines in the South Pacific jungle. And you can still buy a new one.

But I would love to have a BAR.
Posted By: grandpa75672

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 12:05 AM

I'm confused again.
What exactly do you mean by pew pew gun?

There are some entries on Google about imaginary guns that you shoot your friends with while making the sound pew pew.
Passive electronic weapon ?

I have never heard he term before.
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: grandpa75672
I'm confused again.

There are some entries on Google about imaginary guns that you shoot your friends with while making the sound pew pew.

I don’t even know what to say...... I give up

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: JayC41
I'm confused again.

Good. Well Bye. One of your favorites....

Bye

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 02:10 AM

I'm confused again.

G'Pa. "Pew Pew",is just a popular term for a gun. You know how most video games and movies make guns sound like "pew pew". It basically just means a gun or firearm. I used it because I'm 34 and worried about becoming an old and I am trying to stay hip, homeboy.
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 02:11 AM

Lol
Posted By: RayBob

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 02:13 AM

I'll 3rd the M1 Garand. Awesome historic battle rifle.

On a side note I read somewhere that the CMP has acquired or is acquiring a bunch of Garands from somewhere like the Phillipines or S.Korea or somewhere.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 02:14 AM

I'm confused again.

roflmao

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 02:17 AM

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: RayBob

On a side note I read somewhere that the CMP has acquired or is acquiring a bunch of Garands from somewhere like the Phillipines or S.Korea or somewhere.

I'm leaning towards the M1. The carbine is pulling at me though.
Posted By: Jacob

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: H.Town_paddler

It’s easier on the shoulder. Especially if you’re an old. grin

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Jacob
Originally Posted By: H.Town_paddler

It’s easier on the shoulder. Especially if you’re an old. grin

Most platoons in WW II had a man leading the way with BAR. It won the war along with kids sporting M1 Garands. I would be proud of either.

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 02:38 AM

BAR will require a Class III and probably about $20 grand.
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 02:40 AM

I saw one for sale at Nagels guns in San Antonio last month for about $10k. Looked to be in great shape.

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 02:41 AM

Yep. A lethal weapon.

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 02:43 AM

I know I recommended the M-1 and the Swiss K-31, but I just heard about a tremendous value - guy is selling a French Army rifle from WW II that was never fired and only thrown on the ground once! Heard that one from a Swiss guy - they don't think much of the French.

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: JCG57
I know I recommended the M-1 and the Swiss K-31, but I just heard about a tremendous value - guy is selling a French Army rifle from WW II that was never fired and only thrown on the ground once! Heard that one from a Swiss guy - they don't think much of the French.

Never fired and only dropped once. Oldie but a goodie.
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 02:47 AM

I have two M1 garands. Do some homework before you buy one depending on how "WW2 authentic" you want it. A lot of "WW2" garands only have a WW2 receiver and newer parts/stock/barrel from later refurbishments (Korean war etc.). You can always buy one and work to acquire what would be considered correct or matching parts. I'm lucky enough to have found one from 1941 that still has an uncut ops rod.

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

I saw one for sale at Nagels guns in San Antonio last month for about $10k. Looked to be in great shape.

Very cool. The BAR and Garands helped GI Joe outgun the Krauts. Hitler thought the Mauser was the best infantry rifle ever (It is the best bolt action ever) thus the German infantryman was equipped with inferior firepower. It was 1944 before the STG 44 was delivered to German troops.
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 02:49 AM

One cool thing about the M1 carbine is the manufacturers. I'd like to find an IBM or Rockolla one.

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: JCG57

clap

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: sdavis24
One cool thing about the M1 carbine is the manufacturers. I'd like to find an IBM or Rockolla one.

10-12 years ago they were pretty common at gun shows for $400-$500.

I think there were 8 different manufacturers of the M1 carbines ?????
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: fish4bass
I'm confused again.

Good. Well Bye. One of your favorites....

Bye

You suck at this
Posted By: DI

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 03:52 AM

I have 2 M1 carbines an airborne model folding stock and a fixed stock, neither makes a pew pew sound when fired

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: DI
I have 2 M1 carbines an airborne model folding stock and a fixed stock, neither makes a pew pew sound when fired

My favorite Uncle bailed out of a plane over Normandy the night before D Day,,,, He didn't say Pew... He said "HuH" when I talked to him. Hearing was shot.
Posted By: grandpa75672

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 05:02 AM

OK noise a gun makes.

Sounds like too many video games and guns that go pew pew.

Need to spend time on the range and hear the sounds of real guns.

They damn sure don't go pew pew. That sounds more like what a fart makes.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 05:35 AM

OK noise a gun makes.

Sounds like too many video games and guns that go pew pew.

Need to spend time on the range and hear the sounds of real guns.

They damn sure don't go pew pew. That sounds more like what a fart makes.

It’s a colloquialism.
Posted By: Gungle

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 03:43 PM

Here ya go; https://www.jamesriverarmory.com/

You can get a restored M-1 Garand or M-14 for under 2k. I got a M-1 a few years ago and it was like new out of the box. It's a blast to shoot and easy to get ammo (30-06). Mine was made by Winchester in 1944.

Cheers, cheers

George
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/25/18 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

If you saw it at Nagels, everyone in San Antonio knows that they are overpriced on their guns.
Posted By: Hookem

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/26/18 03:17 PM

I got an IBM manufactured M1.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/26/18 03:54 PM

I've seen one Rockola in my life. Back when I was working at Discount Gun Mart in San Diego, part of my job was to check in all the surplus military guns that the store owner bought for inventory, clean the cosmoline off them, and inspect for any valuable ones.

That particular rifle went straight into the owners personal collection. It was the first one he'd ever seen too!
Posted By: PondFish

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/26/18 04:19 PM

I believe Singer, the sewing machine people, made them as well. Back in the late '70s to mid '80s Rockolla made M1s were fairly common at Dallas area gun shows, or maybe I just kept running across the same few ones a lot.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/26/18 05:14 PM

My first deer rifle was an Enfield .303 Jungle Carbine. Shoulda kept it. Easily worth 30 times what I paid for it today.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: WW2 Gun - 02/26/18 05:18 PM

I received my dad's (he was retired USAF) 1903 Springfield. Love that old gun but hardly use it any more. Good luck in finding a good one and enjoy it!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum